Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
My friend has an iPhone and uses Maps3D. With it he can have not only an offline map but more importantly can tap a place and see the elevation. As a cyclist Id love to find something similar for Android to get an idea of the profile of the road ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

vyst posted:

If anyone is looking for a launcher. Nova Launcher Prime is on sale right now at the android store for $1.

Also Poweramp Full Version is $1 currently.

Thank you! 50p in the UK so I bought it. Been using it for a while, and like it so should support it with my survey money.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Alternatively, http://www.shuttlemusicplayer.com is great. There's a paid version but the basic one covers everything that I need.

I'm not sure what PowerAmp does that I'd need over it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The left bud on my earphones has died so I'm trying to work out how to force my Moto G (Marshmallow) into mono mode. When I google it gives instructions for Android 4.4 but that doesn't exist there any more (accessibility options). I assume it has to be done with an external app? Any suggestions?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Skarsnik posted:

I'm in the UK

Mostly location based ones whenever I walk through the town centre, I haven't paid for an app in years now

I get one every single day I walk past the Waitrose in town.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Alan_Shore posted:

MediaMonkey syncs iTunes stuff to Android. And is pretty awesome besides.

2nding this. It's one of the few reasons I use a VM for on my Mac install. Nothing on the Mac works anything like as well.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I use Shuttle and Rocket Player. Shuttle is fast and does most of what I want. The one thing that Rocket Player lets me do is I can rate songs there and they'll sync back to iTunes on my Mac when I use iSyncr. The problem with it is that it's noticeably less responsive and slower to load on my Moto G3. If there's a different player that would let me sync ratings without that slowness is be intrigued.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Am I being an idiot? Im trying to mark photos in my gallery as favourites as there are some that I repeatedly show and that'd make it much easier to do. I don't see an option.
I downloaded QuickPic too and also don't see an option.

This must be possible and if it needs a different gallery then I'd love a recommendation but it seems like I must be missing something obvious.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Just installed an Apk of messenger lite and vastly prefer it. I just want a simple chat client and on first impression it seems to be that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
A bit more with Messenger Lite, can't archive conversations. For someone who likes the idea of Inbox Zero that's a bit of a pain.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Malawi and Mozambique too,for those with smartphones.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

The Drifter posted:

Are there any ambiance / white noise apps that aren't garbage?

I use Noisli

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've been using BeyondPod for ages but finally got round to rooting my Moto G3 so decided to try out Podcast Addicts & PocketCasts. Pocket Casts was incredibly laggy and unresponsive, pressing the fast forward button would literally take 10 seconds to jump (while still playing), and Podcast Addicts seems to be killing my battery.

Any idea of what would be causing either of those? If I can't resolve them then back to BeyondPod for me.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Not streamed, all downloaded to my SD card and played at 1.3x speed, the same as I'd do on BeyondPod.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Update? I'm on 4.2.16 and it's not updated since 2016.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Talking about BeyondPod. Does the backup/restore option keep track of which episodes you have downloaded? I'm getting a new phone next week and want to have it re-download the same episodes I've got now. I guess setting up EpisodeSync on that phone could work, just wondering if it's necessary.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The problem is that you can't set BeyondPod to backup to any folder outside of itself by default meaning you have to manually go in and backup and save to cloud each time. That's easy to forget, especially compared to something like 1Password which syncs to my Dropbox so if it were wiped it'd still be there. It'd be just a single file in a place I asked it to put it, that's all I want.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I use Seconds Pro for my timer needs.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Jeesis posted:

Aye nerds, I am looking for a call recording application.

Things I want in it
-Dumps either a mp3 or wav/whatever audio file straight to the device/SD card.
-Records all calls regardless of origin and gives option to discard recording after call ends.
-Whitelist for contacts so I do not get a 2 hour recording of me talking to my mom.
-Barebones interface (if one at all) with all the information being dumped into the filenames themselves. Example: 2018-04-20_666-420-1337_length-0-04-20.mp3 or just custom selection $date-$number-$length.extension.
-Passable audio quality. I do not need FLAC levels of audophilia but at least something that you can make out what people are saying without horrible amounts of compression.
-Automated voice that informs the caller that this call will be recorded and that continuing to stay on the line means they agree to the recording (This is an insane requirement that I doubt I will ever find and do not even expect, but would be nice as it would save me time from informing the caller of exactly that), If this option exists, then a ability to turn it off.
-Preferably a popup that allows me to turn off the recording when I get a call. Not expected but would be nice.
-Ability to start recordings for when I make calls not just receiving them.

Things I do not want
-Custom file formats that the app itself can only open. Seriously gently caress off with this poo poo.
-'CLOUD INTEGRATION' :yayclod: I can just setup some type of sync service if I want off phone backups and prefer to have complete control over what poo poo with potentially PII exits my device.
-Any use of external servers/services for 'quality purposes and telemetry' or whatever bullshit reasoning they have for keeping copies of my phone calls or wasting my data shoving a 200MB audio file across the cell network especially if it contains PII.
-The requirement to root my device, this should not have to exist but I would not doubt applications recording phone calls is blatantly a huge security risk and might not be possible with a non-rooted device.

I am willing to pay for such an app within reason, I mean if one exists and it is like :10bux:*5+ then I might be a little hesitant but I doubt something free exists with both the features I want and excluding the poo poo I do not want. Thanks for any suggestions nerds.

I assume that I am going to have to just bite the bullet and learn java to make it myself. :smith:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appstar.callrecorder I've used that without problems. The only thing it doens't do (that I know if) is warn the person on the other end that they're about to be recorded.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

XIII posted:

Well, one of the big issues with the hosed up beta was that the app would lock up after about 30sec of playing an episode and crash. One of the big things I look for in a podcast app is "can play a podcast", so this was a doozy of a dealbreaker. And they left it like this for months.

Podcast Addict is also very good and I said for a long time that it would be what I switched to if I ever moved away from BP. I actually installed it and Pocketcasts at the same time, but never took the time to get used to PA's interface, so I just stuck with PC

Indeed and the official response on the forum for about 2? months was infrequent comments by one person who was saying "We're looking at it."

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've used Deliveries before and found it functional. I don't order enough that I care about it arriving for me to have a proper opinion though.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Sorry for the bizarre attachments. Awful app doesn't want to do bigger.
Question is, what's eating my battery and how do I find it? Its a Xiaomi Mi A1 and today it sat on my shelf, barely being touched, and having flicked through all 160 apps there don't seem to be apps that are secretly using more than Google says.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm sure it claimed this had been attached.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

spincube posted:

99% of my GPM listening is 'shuffle my thumbs-up playlist' - so rather than mess around with the original files I downloaded the playlist contents from GPM, re-uploaded the MP3s to a folder in Google Drive, and used up some survey money on CloudPlayer for my phone. Works a treat so far: it pre-caches the tags and artwork, it supports offline copies of albums/playlists/whatever, and it integrates with Android Auto as well. Solid recommendation.

Sounds like a good idea. I've got unlimited Google Drive and 1TB on OneDrive so could store my music on either then access it through that. Thanks for the idea!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

alnilam posted:

I just got the email that Google Play Music is dying :(

For all its flaws, I liked it. I never used their music discovery / streaming, I am 100% a play my own library kinda guy, but my library is a little too big to fit on the phone, so I really appreciated the ability to pick some albums to download copies of, while keeping the rest of the library streaming.

I transferred my library to Youtube Music, google's official replacement, and it sucks rear end. It takes like 10 presses to navigate to an album in my own library and play it. When I search anything, it defaults to their public repo of music rather than my library. When I pick an artist in my library it displays an alphabetical list of their songs instead of a list of albums :psyduck: so to pick an album I have to actually go to the alphabetical list of all albums and find it. It only loads like 20 items to scroll through at a time so I have to scroll to the Bs in my library before it loads more, so there's no way to scroll quickly to the later alphabet. In its basic functionality it does what Google Play Music did (i.e. yes I can stream my own library, yes I can download some albums for offline use), but its usability is loving awful. /rant

Any good recommended replacements that let you stream your own library, as well as download some albums for offline playing?

This one works for me.

spincube posted:

99% of my GPM listening is 'shuffle my thumbs-up playlist' - so rather than mess around with the original files I downloaded the playlist contents from GPM, re-uploaded the MP3s to a folder in Google Drive, and used up some survey money on CloudPlayer for my phone. Works a treat so far: it pre-caches the tags and artwork, it supports offline copies of albums/playlists/whatever, and it integrates with Android Auto as well. Solid recommendation.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When I did that I just used Strava. I recorded each individual walk as normal and then used a pro trial to create a heatmap.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Does anyone know of an app where you point your camera and it overlays what is there based on a map. So if you're out hiking and point your camera in a direction it'd tell you the towns/landmarks in the picture? Tried searching but failed miserably.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I use OSMAnd for hiking and that's got a logging interval. Max on that is 5 min gaps which might work for you.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Seconds Pro is amazing. It let's you eg use tts to read out the next exercise and beeps in lots of different ways.

https://www.intervaltimer.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Incessant Excess posted:

Auto fill is enabled, yes.

This isn't a new issue either, happened on Android 12 as well.

I think it's just one of those things with password managers. I use 1Password. It happened on my previous phone on Android 9 and on this Redmi using Miui.