Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

With the big one being you no longer get notification actions unless you're Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Amazon just started doing 2FA.

Plus a lot of MMOs have 2FA which some of them use the standardized stuff Authy/Auth+ uses. Which is one thing they're fantastic for, you might stop playing those for months/years before going back again and good luck finding your fob or if you've switched devices and "won't ever play again". Though unless it's changed recently it doesn't apply to WoW but does for Guild Wars and Star Wars.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah Out of Milk was decent, I switched over to Our Groceries because Out of Milk was attempting to sync and then failing or something and it would reorder the list I just finished ordering the way I wanted it. Was super irritating. Our Groceries requires you to go into another mode to reorder things and just seems a little bit better because of things like that (and including a default dark theme).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

vyst posted:

WoW has 2FA but they force you to use their app to do it.

Right that's what I was saying. Authenticator Plus actually supports it too. But battle.net blocks the app in the US according to their Twitter account. They said you can try using a Euro VPN and once it's active it'll keep working but it's frustrating and not something I want to bother with.

Same thing with FF14, I don't think it uses open standards either. I'm hoping it won't be much of a problem going forward and will largely only apply to this legacy stuff.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 21, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Well worth full price, let alone the sale price. And should be in the OP. Fantastic for lazy watching of stuff.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Your library is your collection of music. Things you like. Your Playlists are specific collections of songs you want to listen to together. Google Music includes all the songs in both of those as well as tons of other stuff you may or may not care about.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, it's horrible. Going to cause so many headaches explaining things to my parents. Thankfully I only get SMS/MMS from one person, who I rarely contact, so it won't change too much for me, but it's just a bad decision overall. If you didn't want them all in Hangouts, you could easily use something else. They should have made it work more like iMessage, further enhancing it, rather than backpedaling.

In the end it won't be a huge deal, but it's just sad.

XIII posted:

Glad to hear nothing has changed from a few hours ago ;)

You're thinking of the Android thread, this is the apps thread, where it's debatably more appropriate to talk about, and hadn't been mentioned.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Because Anti-Virus isn't going to pick up anything the Play Store's own scanners don't. It's only potentially useful in exceedingly niche situations or if you're downloading stuff from outside of the Play Store. Which you shouldn't be doing except for like AdAway or SuperSU.

And Google Authenticator is a Two-Factor Authentication app. One factor is your password. The other is a "randomly" generated passkey that the app will show you. Most good services and games support using this to login, and you should be using it on your Google, Amazon and bank accounts at a bare minimum. Authenticator+ or Authy are preferable over the standard app because they allow you to transfer it between devices easily and restore it if something fucks up nice and easy, as well as one app for all your 2FA stuff.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Geektox posted:

lol my bank can barely get a decent desktop site working in anything other than IE, so 2FA is super out of the question. :canada:

Yeah, that's sadly all too common. But if your bank has it, you should be using it =-(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's the other way around, controlling computer with phone. AirDroid is good for doing remote actions with your phone. Mobizen is mostly for mirroring I think, so it depends on what you need to do specifically.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you're going to use Splashtop you might as well use Chrome Remote Desktop. It's free and real solid. Not sure how it compares to your other app.

Unified Remote like AirDroid doesn't mirror the interface of the device (though it does provide remotes for this actually I've just never used the screen one). Instead you do actions and it figures out how to translate them into something your computer understands. Like telling it to open a file, or play/pause VLC or your music.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It does a Scan and Match, and then uploads things it can't match. Your versions might not match with their server version for one reason or another, but in theory if it can it'll just flag you as owning it rather than upload it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Only open for uploading your podcasts since the end of October. User side isn't out yet, I guess they want a catalog of stuff available before opening it up.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

FX has a 1 week (I think) trial, so you just download them both and give it a shot. I tried Solid when I thought something was wrong with FX (it wasn't, was my network) and just was really turned off when navigating through it. Nothing specific that I remember, just personal preference stuff.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

How do you stream content from your networked devices with AirDroid? It's 90% of what I use a file explorer for and I don't see a way to do it in AirDroid (plus without signing in you'd have to get up and scan the QR code).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I know a lot of people like Automatic.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 24, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Of course with Red the content creators get paid, unlike with AdAway. And it's a fairly trivial cost for the benefits. If it's available for your country. And there's (a tiny bit of) Red exclusive content, which is likely to become more and more of a thing unless they face intense backlash which is unlikely. At least if they expand the markets it's available in sooner rather than later.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Correct. Can't pay for services like Storage/Music/etc with Play Balance. Or Devices for that matter.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I forgot that gift cards were a thing, I was thinking the only way to get balance was survey or similar, which as people were saying above doesn't work for subscriptions. So no idea then, sorry!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There's also ChromeIPass for more lazily than Auto-Type using your passwords from KeePass in Chrome at home.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Agreed KeePass2Android is solid. And File Explorer for... File Exploring.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They charge monthly for notification actions and most people don't use them enough to justify the cost even if they're pretty drat handy. You're also limited to 100 messages/month without paying $5/month($40/year), when something like Join is a flat fee of $5 for both those things.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Messenger is the stock Android SMS app.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Sounds like you want Join and SMS Backup And Restore unless I'm misunderstanding you. Never used the particular software you're referencing so can't be certain.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Finagle posted:

What are (if there are) any good Android emulators for Windows? I thought I heard Andy was good, but I've also heard that it has a bunch of bloatware that it installs. Any suggestions?

Nox is a great emulator and free. Bluestacks is a good app player.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Though I could only get it to work if the screen was on using Join. If the screen was off it just gave me a notification I could hit to open it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Discord.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

FX.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

At least with Google Now you can go to Settings -> Accounts & Privacy -> Open webpages in app and turn it off. Maybe that works for the old News and Weather too?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Was an artifact of the old phone. I found SwiftKey started to lag on my S3 too but it's been flawless on my Nexus 6. You might also give the new Google keyboard a try if that's installable on the S7.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

hooah posted:

For those of you who use Join, are you able to prevent it from showing notifications over full-screen things like games? I'm talking about on your computer. That's the one thing that's starting to bug me about MightyText.

Using the Chrome Extension, notifications just come in via the standard Windows 10 notification center. I imagine the Win10 app itself is the same. So it doesn't interrupt gaming, except audibly.

And yeah the gaming thread has been talking about the surveys thing. Some people are getting the exact same survey over and over and getting paid each time too. Seems something might be up with their non-location based survey distribution.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Best epub reader?
Is there a decent YouTube substitute which will allow you to listen to the video in the background?
Best app for monitoring which app uses how much battery?

Google Play Books
YouTube Red
The default battery screen

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Just use Airdroid or FX to move them across WiFi. Or upload them to Google Play and then pin the ones you want to keep on your device.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I switched because it was having massive issues with syncing. Things would move position in the list, or delete/readd themselves because it wasn't syncing properly and kept propagating old data. Few weeks of that and I gave up waiting on a fix and swapped to our groceries like basically everyone else.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nope there's no way to force explicit songs. For me on the radio it picks one version and sticks with it for awhile, but if the list changes at all on a refresh it might switch to the edited version. It's my only real complaint these days.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

AdAway works just fine for system wide.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If only they'd been asking for an option to use while rooted.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Google Play Music, includes YouTube Red and has a nice family plan.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What should I use for an ePub reader?

Google Play Books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I have 6 books saved to my device, and it's taking up 92 MB of storage for data. Which is still high since each one is probably under a meg, but it's likely caching a bunch of images for my library and the store and such too. So it's not a big deal. Probably a PDF specific bug, or something with your specific PDFs.