Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

incogneato posted:

I'm looking at options for sharing baby pictures seamlessly in one place, with minimal complication so that older relatives can easily check in on them whenever they want. Here is what I've been considering so far: ...

For Google Photos you can change the order to have newest on top. Open album -> ... -> edit album -> arrow symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Froist posted:

Thanks for the replies! SolidExplorer seems to tick most of the boxes in one go, and SimpleSSHD might work out for an SSH server, just need to get my head around that + SimpleBusyBox a bit more.

(I did mean server not client as I was looking to edit RetroArch etc config files from my laptop rather than on the device)

Sounds like Termux could also work for you.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Nowher posted:

This is completely hosed. I have been using Nova since I got my Galaxy S3 in 2012 :(

Any recommendations for a basic launcher that will allow me to squeeze more apps on my screen, remove icon text and remove the dock?

Hyperion launcher seems like a simple but (at least for me) sufficient replacement, should tick all your boxes.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Any suggestions for a child friendly audio player for local files? This looks basically like what I image but it doesn't work with newer Android versions :/

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

How young? Our 4y/o kid LOVES his yoto mini. You can buy "blank" cards to load with music. It has parental controls and nothing really to do other than music. He listens to it to go to sleep at night and then we can just turn it off from our phone. Adjust volume, set max volume, play music, etc. Get a silicone case.

Otherwise I would use a honest to goodness mp3 player.

incogneato posted:

Yeah, our 2 year old loves her Yoto. I need to load some of our blank cards, though, so I can stop hearing the same three songs over and over (lol who am I kidding, I'll still just hear those).

We're basically using a DIY Yoto at home (box with Raspberry Pi + RFID reader + speaker + battery) which works great except for the portability and I'm getting tired of making new cards, we're at 20+...
The Yoto Mini looks very nice regarding portability but it's out of stock over here atm... something to keep in mind though!

I was also checking out mp3 players but from what I can tell through youtube reviews the interfaces are absolute garbage and consist exclusively of text which would get very frustrating for the 3y/o.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Note that if you like to listen to podcasts "in order" (oldest to newest) AntennaPod is no good. Maybe it's okay if you stream everything, but that's not an option for me.
After lots of fiddling I was able to get PodcastAddict to work for me though I still find the way it downloads episodes annoying since it wants to fill up to the specified number of episodes as soon as an episode is finished/deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Wankie posted:

What are you talking about? All you have to do is sort episodes old -> new for that feed and it works perfectly. I listen to history podcasts in order with hundreds of episodes and it works fine. I don't stream at all with 26 gigs of downloaded episodes on my phone.

That works for episodes that are already downloaded. But when I add a feed nothing is downloaded and only episodes that are released after I added the feed are considered by the auto downloader so you have to manually download everything else.
Lots of other podcast apps have the option of always keeping x oldest/newest episodes downloaded which is what I want.