Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yep, that must be it. That's a really weird connection.

So that's where it came from...

I sat my phone on the Qi charger last night and got that popup. Was wondering where it came from.

Uninstalled ES. It has become nothing but a bloatware ridden POS these days anyways. It has enough feature creep at this point it could just about be its own smartphone OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

smr posted:

Audio in general on Android is just way jankier than it is on iOS, in my experience (I switch between an iPhone and an Android phone regularly because I'm an idiot, and have done so for years).

This is the first "Welp, nothing to do but reboot it and hope that clears it" issue with Android I've had in quite some time, though. I really hope that doesn't repeat itself tomorrow morning :S

I think this might be a PocketCasts bug..

I run into this with PocketCasts occasionally when switching between audio devices. PC, and only PC will sometimes not route audio via bluetooth and continue playing via phone speaker and vice versa. While all other audio is correctly routed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've had the alarm clock app screw up too..

On my old Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, at least once a month my morning alarms would just completely fail to fire off with a notification they had been "missed". Even though in some cases the time for the alarm to go off hadn't yet been reached! I also had the cannot stop alarm bug as well. Great fun when you get a early morning phone call right as your alarm is going off, and you cannot stop it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
You can use it to pay for a Youtube Red subscription, which also includes Google Music. $9/month. It is what I do with mine. When you sign up for either service, it will let you pick your Google Play balance as a payment method. (it also works the other way around, if you subscribe to Google Music, it includes Youtube Red, price is the same of course)

I am a huge Youtube nerd.. and now that I have experienced ad-free Youtube everywhere on every device, I simply cannot go back.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

When I signed up for YouTube Red I did it through my iPad which set payments through my apple id. Now that I've got rid of all my apple devices, what's the easiest way to set up the payments to be made through Google so I can take advantage of using my Google Play balance? Would I just have to unsubscribe, then re-subscribe through Google?

If you have a Android phone or tablet, you can change payment methods inside the YouTube app. Tap on your account icon in the top right, then tap my YouTube red, then scroll to the bottom and pick update payment method. You can pick a credit card or your play balance there.

Don't know if that will work in your particular situation having previously paid via Apple.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mogomra posted:

I used to get a lot of surveys, then at some point last year or something I started getting all sorts of "which place did you visit recently" surveys where I didn't go to any of the choices*. After a week or so of answering honestly, the surveys dried up. Now I'll get 1-3 a month. That might even be an over estimate.

* There would usually be at least one choice that was like across the street or down the road from where I actually went. I often wonder if I should have just answered with those options to appease the google survey fun bux gods.

tldr: I used to get a lot of surveys like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.

I've been getting those at least 1-2 times a day. But the choices are always something I drove by, but not stopped at. I always answer honestly, and always get 10 cents.

I've mostly been getting Youtube suggestions recently. It will show me a youtube video suggestion and ask if it was a good suggestion or not. Generally get 35-50 cents for answering.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I never used Bluetooth for anyone other than basic telephony or audio functions before, but my new car can browse some of my phone's audio apps, like Google Music or Rocket Player. I don't know what that feature is called, but does anyone know a podcast player that offers it and that also works with Android Auto? It would be nice to have easy access to the same podcasts whether I felt like wiring my phone up or not.

This is a feature of Bluetooth called Media Browsing. Any app that hooks into the MediaBrowser API in Android will appear here. PocketCasts is one such podcast player that does exactly this. It exposes a few elements like New Releases, Unplayed Podcasts, a full listing of all your subscribed podcasts, etc... I use it this way all the time in my car, its pretty nifty.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
US here: My circle of friends uses Hangouts mostly. With a smattering of SMS and Facebook Messenger thrown in. I know of no one who uses WhatsApp, or likely even knows what it is.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

What I don't understand is why someone can't just make a USB dongle to enable wireless Android Auto with any AA head unit.

It take seems like something that should be possible pretty easily. If for some reason the USB port didn't provide enough power for that, then you could provide extra power.

There is kind of a way to do that already: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/uk.co.borconi.emil.aagateway Doesn't work on all phones though and is not 100% stable...

Basically you take a cheap androidtv stick or old phone, install the app and connect this to your car. (the Slave device) The app on your phone (the Master device) then redirects AA traffic over wifi to the slave device, which displays it on your car's HU.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Uthor posted:

The biggest thing is always related to how much Google limits your scrolling.

This is a limitation baked into Android Auto itself. If your car is not in park, it limits you to 6 taps/levels in any app. This mostly affects music/media apps. So if it takes 3 taps to show your list of songs, then you only get 3 more taps to scroll down a list.

If you have a rooted device, there are ways on some phones to remove the limitation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

hooah posted:

Suddenly, this morning, Android Auto isn't projecting (wired) to my aftermarket head unit. The phone says it's charging and I can play audio over Bluetooth, but the unit just isn't detecting that Android Auto is running. Everything worked fine on Saturday. I'm going to try clearing cache and/or data on Android Auto, but does anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas?

99% of the time I run into AA issues, the cable and/or dirt in the port on my phone is the culprit.

I seem to have to get a new USB-C cable about every 4-5 months. They just stop working, getting a new one fixes it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

The cable?

Exact same experience here. I just order them in batches these days.

Oddly, USB-C seems to be so much less robust in this regard. I never had to replace USB Micro cables because AA stopped working.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

AA seems really particular about the cables, not that it absolves USB-C of its sins.

The benefits of USB-C are tangible and wonderful, I'd never want to go back to the Before Times, but goddamn I can't help but feel like the monkey paw curled up some fingers in order to get it.

Strangely its always the data connection that seems to go. I have like 10 USB-C cables that will charge just fine, but have no data connection on any device.

I just have really bad luck with cables.

My last one I was even purposely super gentle with it. It never left the car. Plugged it in and set the phone down in a way where there would be no stress on the cable.. It still only lasted 4 months before AA started cutting out randomly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

God drat it is there a way to get a shortcut for Chrome on my Bravia Android TV? How loving insane is it that its not just prepackaged and available. I know it can invite in a lot of garbage (like the 2 billion popups I got trying to get a stream for the hockey game today) but ffs man. Its google's own platform.

I found this TV Repo App thing but its not in the store anymore, and I installed it from apkmirror but it just crashes when I try to create the shortcut.

There is a app in the Android TV store called "Chrome Shortcut" and its just that.. It installs a selection into the Leanback launcher that launches Chrome. No extra bullshit attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

Not on my Bravia there ain't.

See if I can track down an apk

Looks like it was removed from the store at some point.