Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Have a bit of a weird one. Can someone recommend me an app to keep track of things on a week-to-week basis? Basically, I just want to write down what songs I do at karaoke and the date so that I'm not doing the same stuff all the time. I found some simple journaling app (Journal, naturally), but there's got to be something more useful for tracking simple discrete events like that.

Also, I just upgraded from a Nexus 5 (running 4.4.4 because I was too lazy to unroot also I'm an idiot) to a Pixel XL. I switched over to Solid Explorer from RootExplorer and Textra from 8SMS, but some other new hotness recommendations would be nice. Was eyeballing Manual Camera/FV-5 and pitting it against my Canon G9, but the new Camera app seems pretty nice for day-to-day shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

AnimalChin posted:

Echophonic posted:

Have a bit of a weird one. Can someone recommend me an app to keep track of things on a week-to-week basis? Basically, I just want to write down what songs I do at karaoke and the date so that I'm not doing the same stuff all the time. I found some simple journaling app (Journal, naturally), but there's got to be something more useful for tracking simple discrete events like that.

Wunderlist? Google Keep? OneNote?

OneNote et all are all a bit too big for what I want to do. My ideal app for this is something that makes a note block with the date and lets me put in some text under it and has it segregated from the rest of my stuff. I don't need this cluttering Keep with my general to-dos and reminders. I may also just suck at using Keep, it should be noted. All of the journal apps are way too overcomplicated so far, too. Mirror was close, but it's designed for multiple entries for a day.

I did find this app called My Notes, seems like it'll do what I want. Just a date block with some text. Made a Karaoke folder and post-dated all my old stuff from Journal, seems like it'll do the job. I feel like 4 bucks for no-ads on a notes app is a little steep, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

revolther posted:

You can also go, okay google, create a list, add to list "Bush MachineHead september 17th" or whatever, and then you'll have a little shopping list of karaoke songs you did.

Also I bartend at a karaoke night twice a week so the songs mentioned are all the bane of my existence.

edit: poo poo, just send yourself a text, itemized sorted by date list of songs. This is a dumb problem.

Okay, poo poo, that text idea is really good. I've massively over-complicated this. I still kinda dig My Notes, though, ended up doing what I wanted and avoided being all jumbled up with the rest of my stuff.

I mean, the most elegant answer is to stop giving a poo poo, because why am I trying to avoid irritating people who voluntarily came to karaoke? :v:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 17, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

IAmKale posted:

Are there any Android camera apps that do any of the whiz-bang photo modes that are abundant in the stock iOS photo app?

I've often wondered, does Apple hold a bunch of patents that prevents Google from doing cool presets like that in the stock Android camera app? Because if you compare the two it's no contest, iOS offers way more modes out of the box. I have a Pixel, surely its camera is capable of the same portrait modes, etc... at least from a hardware perspective?

It's not a camera, but I've been dicking around with Google's Snapseed and it's pretty neat. It's a post-processing app with a shitload of presets and lots of other tools for manipulating photos.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Annath posted:

I actually really like the Samsung Health app that came pre-installed on my Note 9.

It tracks steps automatically, but it won't track distance (and thus, trains) unless you specifically activate the "Walk"/"Run"/"Hike" activities.

I've been using it as a step tracker for a while, it's pretty good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I liked the message grouping and not getting notifications for poo poo I don't care about enough to need a buzz against my leg for, but would like to read later. As long as that flows into Gmail, that's fine with me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I had that issue this morning. Cleared cache, it worked for a bit, then started crashing again. Ended up cleaning data, then reinstalling and it seems okay now. I'm on a Pixel XL and running NetGuard for adblocking.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject, I've had a bit of weirdness with Android Auto since I updated to Pie. I have it set to open when it connects to the bluetooth dongle in my car. The first time in a day (i.e. going to work) that I go to use it, it opens a notification saying it's starting and has a little animated bar, but takes longer than starting it by hand, so I just open it. Later on (going home) it opens fine. I assume it's some adaptive battery shenanigans, but it's kind of irritating.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm 100% mad they're killing Inbox, though. The Gmail app and site are both total garbage in comparison.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm exaggerating somewhat, but I much prefer the grouping and other features that Inbox adds. Which of the Inbox features got folded in? The app still still seems about the same on a cursory look. The UI is also a lot nicer in Inbox. I'll end up getting used to it again, I'm sure.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I switched to Blockada a while back, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Even works on Android TV for sideloading apps. It's good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My wifi still picks up in my driveway at crappy speeds, so dropping it lets Spotify pick up more quickly before I start driving. So there's that, at least.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
In my case it's more that I'm on wifi, then go out and get into my car. I also have a Pixel, so it's not a cheap phone thing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Spark seems okay. Definitely not the second coming it's made out to be, but it definitely has a decent little workflow so far with the auto categories.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The more I use Spark, the less I like it. The notifications are really finicky and they don't re-update if emails are removed from someplace else.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I gave up on Spark. Has a few good ideas, but overall I found it slow/unwilling to sync, the notification actions not being reflected in my inbox, and it seems like there's no to not have it show notification content on my lockscreen. Back to Gmail, I guess.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone else use Mood messenger? I've been having an issue with the floating notifications/quick reply not showing. I think it started within the last few days.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Solid Explorer is great. Works great for getting stuff onto Android TVs as well.

And the Mood thing seems like it's just a bug. Works as normal if the chat heads are up, so must just be some notification weirdness.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Haven't ever used iMessage, but I Mood for the customization of conversations, mainly.

Haven't noticed anything suspect in terms of how it behaves after a year or so of use. They even offer encryption in their premium package (which I have not ponied up for). I'm still tempted to switch to Signal at some point, though, to assuage the digital privacy wonk in the back of my head.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 28, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm assuming it's for the direct messaging it offers, not SMS. Also no idea if it's legit or not, obviously. I haven't done a ton of research into it since I only use it for texting.

What's the current hotness for Messaging replacements, then? My previous one was Textra, which I liked well enough. Buddy of mine's big into Signal, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 28, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I remember the way to do it when Inbox first launched was to turn off notifications in Gmail for your user account in settings, but I think that was the first screenshot you shared. I had to undo that when I switched back.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Android Auto is pretty good. Has integrations for all that stuff. Works with Maps, Waze, makes calls, and I have Spotify, Play Music, PocketCasts, and PowerAmp available in it. I just have my phone in a CD slot-mounted clip.

You know, until Google kills it in favor of Assistant's new auto mode or whatever at some point in the next year.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone who's used a Google service besides GMail in the past few years is probably super skeptical they won't get bored of Stadia in 3 years and unceremoniously shank the thing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use the HDMI cable I got from my Link more than I've used my Link.

Totally worth 5 bucks just for the cable. :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been using Material Cards for a while and like it. The major drawback is the lack of updates and the masking being pretty weak.

I went to go get a link, but I don't see it on the app store anymore, so nevermind, I guess? I do like that style. Recticons is pretty nice, too. I tried that for gap-filling with Material and it wasn't bad.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 24, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah, search the play store for "apk extractor." There's a bunch of them.

Solid Explorer can do this, too. I've used it to sideload stuff onto my Android TV.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use Mood Messenger for that exact reason. I don't use some of them, but you can do per-contact backgrounds, bubbles, and tones. Doesn't do fonts, as far as I can tell, though.

I like it a lot and had a friend convert over to it once I showed them. I like the way the quick reply popup works, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 23, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh, yeah, you can do it on an app level, just not a per-contact level.

I don't know what the premium offers, honestly. I've never felt like I needed it, but it does look like it's on sale or something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I couldn't really get Blockada to play nice on my Android TV (YouTube got kinda hitchy with it running), but it works great on my phone.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there a version of the Google Camera floating around that has both Portrait Mode and Night Sight on a Pixel XL? I've been using Camera NX from last year for portrait, but I've been really impressed with Night Sight. The stock Google Camera install on my phone only has Lens Blur.

Also, finally did my Android 10 update today, I guess it's time to take the thread title into account and get AMDroid. Was pretty easy to get the alarms out of timely.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 16, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've used Multi Timer for this, nice for staggering timings for grilling and such. Can even set triggered ones to start other timers. Liked it enough to pay for no-ads.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jee.timer

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
All I had to do was tell Keepass2Android what credential I want to use for an app or a site and it'll save it to the item and populate it to my db to other devices. It works just fine if you have it set to open with a fingerprint from the 'Autofill with Keepass2Android' option on login fields, too.

Even added a new token to one of mine called KP2A_URL_1 when I already had a URL. Like, yeah, I'm not 100% sure I'd inflict this on my mother, but I'm equally not sure how I feel about the online ones. Bitwarden seems like an interesting option, though, I think I'll give it a look.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 29, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

LastInLine posted:

Bitwarden really comes across as KeePass that someone cared about. It's got all the stuff that KeePass people like about KeePass, like open source and self hosting and security audits, but it's also got *just* enough polish that I think a non-nerd could use it. Instead of multiple clients written by random people for each platform there's one app that works and looks the same across all platforms. Instead of you juggling a database and managing its encryption it gives you sensible defaults and handles that for you. The whole point of using a password manager is to make it so easy to be secure using a password manager that it's easier to use than just having passwords you memorize because that's how you get regular people to have good practices. There simply isn't an argument that KeePass clears that hurdle whereas Bitwarden does.

Had it just been me and not me and my wife using LastPass I probably would've sucked it up and kept using it, faults and all. I'll admit that most of its shortcomings could be worked around with some effort.

I should say that I understand there are always people, surely over-represented in a thread devoted to talking about phone software, who insist on doing things the hard way because that's how nerds are. They're the same people who, 20 years ago, couldn't use mp3s or m4as but insisted on ogg and flac files and would never give up on the days spent organizing their music because that made them feel superior to the people who pressed the "Let iTunes handle your music" button and literally never worried about any of that for even a second. If you're one of those people then Bitwarden isn't for you, it just doesn't scratch the same itch and I'm betting more than a few KeePass users fall into that camp. If you're one of the people who let iTunes handle their music, however, I think you'll find it to be a step up.

I think you'll find there is little to lose by giving it a trial and running both side by side for a bit.

Thank you for respecting my nerdy desire to do things the hard way. :v: You definitely make a good case for BitWarden, I'll probably give it a look when I get a chance.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fart of Presto posted:

I've been using Multi Timer Stopwatch for several years now.
It covers all my needs in having both labeled timers and several timers running at once, with all kinds of restart/pause things available. Different layouts as well.

There might be something better out there. I haven't looked into the multi-timer market for a while now.

I'll second this, it's a really nice app.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I used Authenticator+ and liked it pretty well, but recently just put all my codes into BitWarden, since I sprung for the Premium.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like Foobar, but it doesn't really whip the llama's rear end enough for me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I used Spotify for a day before I signed up for Premium. The playlists are 100% worth it to me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still use PowerAmp and it's pretty solid and customizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I might try out Zplayer and get some of that ZuneUI action going, though.