Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I would like to formally submit Minima for cool material-ish wallpapers, Cabinet BETA (no idea why it's still beta) for a decent file browser option, and I'd like to second Authy as another option for 2-factor-authentication.

For Reddit, I think Slide for Reddit deserves mention too.

Fake edit: Also, please add 8pen to the list of keyboards when they eventually release it for like the third time after two failed attempts.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Tasker is dead

Huh? Is that an opinion or is it for real abandoned? I love tasker.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

repiv posted:

It was taken off the Play Store by Google for using the override-doze permission without good reason, but the Tasker dev says he only ever declared that permission on the manual APK download build, never on the Play Store build.

:iiam:

Well son of a bitch. :saddowns:

I'm sure Google knew about the manual APK installs. Doesn't it explicitly ask if it's OK to send data to Google when you try to sideload an app? I haven't done that in ages.

Does he have a blog or social media profile he updates? I didn't see that on the Tasker website.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Google opinion asked if I have verizon, att, sprint, tmobile or other for cell service.

Other. I have Fi. Oh well, a quarter is a quarter.

Internally, Google executives are talking to each other like, "No... I thought you were in charge of Fi."

:tinfoil:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

XIII posted:

Can Solid Explorer (or any alternative) transfer files from one device to another via WiFi like ES can? I'm ready to ditch it, but I've found that feature pretty handy. I know PushBullet can handle smaller files, but it's nice to have a way to move larger ones.

I use airdroid for this, but the second device is always a laptop or desktop, so it might not work as well for you. Thinking about it, I don't know if airdroid supports device to device transfers since I've never tried.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Authenticator+ is so good with a Wear device. I thought I'd miss Authy's Chrome app but I just don't and it's so convenient on the watch.

Also Dropbox and LastPass and for god's sake if you use TurboTax, Intuit.

Same here. I saved up my Google Rewards fun bux and haven't missed the Authy web app at all. Syncing with Google Drive is about as painless as painless could be.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Juice SSH now has a book recommendation club in it

Obviously

Kinda lovely for a paid app. Its was so good too :(

I think they gave me the paid version just for joining their Google+ group or something? It still gets the job done for me.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I just use Cabinet but I don't need to do anything fancy. It says it's beta, but :shrug:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Is there a decent noise maker app that isn't shady and full of ads? I don't mind if it's not free. Everything I see on the Play store looks iffy...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Awesome, thanks!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Luceo posted:

So will Messenger handle GV text messages when my GV number is not my phone's actual number? I imagine it'd receive them, but will it let me send from my GV number too?

Nope, only hangouts works with Google Voice unless I've missed something big. You could probably forward your Google Voice messages to your regular phone number, but that is not fun just going from memory.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Something started recently that makes me want to fastball my phone.

I'll go to hangouts via notification, start typing my reply, and all of a sudden in the middle of typing it flips to the Hangouts splash screen and says "signing in" and drops me back into the conversation list instead of the conversation I was in the middle of typing in.

Anyone else have this start happening recently?

Not that specifically, but for me, I'll go to hangouts via notification, and the splash screen never goes away. I've gotta back out to the conversation list and find whatever I was trying to look at, which is marked read now... Hangouts loving blows, and I feel like an idiot for ever using Google Voice. :shepface:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I've been perfectly fine with Hangouts with Google Voice until this issue so I'm not quite ready to say it blows.

I was being a bit harsh, but to be honest, I can never remember a time when I thought Google Voice worked as well as just using my phone's number. There has always been something that didn't work well, or just didn't work at all.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

butt dickus posted:

Google Voice has been working fine for me this whole time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing that it doesn't have now that I can think of is an SMS gateway.

Do people get regular text messages when battery saver mode is on? I don't get hangouts or Google Voice messages when battery saver is on.

It's stuff like that.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Only it reads like Mogomra is turning it on at like 90% because he thinks Google didn't think about power management at all.

That's a pretty stupid assumption to make, but even if I did, why would that make my point that Google Voice isn't as good as real text messages any less valid?

Are you guys that bent out of shape that I've used Google Voice for years and have come to the conclusion that I don't think it's as good as normal text messages? How does LastInLine not know about Battery Saver mode? Where the hell am I?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I like how the 4th image for that VR thing on Amazon is a scantily clad lady. Like there's anything else people would want to do with the VR thingy.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a non-root required way to keep notifications for specific apps disabled? Updating the apps seems to always re-enable notifications. For example, I disabled notifications for the imgur app, but every time I update it, it re-enables them, and I forget about turning them off until the next time I get one.

What version of Android are you on? That seems like a bug or something.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Fenix is dead. Out of tokens. That's a shame.

I don't understand this. Does that mean no new accounts added or you literally can't use it anymore? I've only used Twitter's API a tiny bit for work.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Ok, that makes sense because it still works for me. What's stopping the dev from just generating another set of API tokens to use for more accounts? Probably against their TOS or something? What a weird limit to have.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

There's actually a way around it, though. You can enable developer mode on your Twitter account, and generate your own API code. It's what Talon uses to get around the limit.

I've generated like 5 API codes on my work account to run reports hitting endpoints with absurd rate limits. I just split up the work between the different creds. Wouldn't Talon/Falcon be able to do that? I wonder if my work Twitter account is gonna get disabled or something!

E: that's the REST API, I don't know if Android Twitter clients use a different API.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google Keyboard got a huge update today. Rather than list out all the changes, I'm just going to link to the Reddit discussion about it.

This is really nice so far. The cursor gestures are great. Might finally make me give up Swype.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

maltesh posted:

I miss Google Now being able to do that, but Google Now hasn't done anything with TV for awhile now. I can't even get the "Listen to TV" command to work any more.

Yeah, what happened there? I still get notifications for shows I don't watch anymore because I dropped cable TV. I can't get them to stop no matter what I do.

On the flip side, I can't set up new notifications for the few shows I do watch...

The iCal thing sounds cool though. I'll try that.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

repiv posted:

sell your soul

"Have you ever, or do you plan to forage for truffles?"

Y/N

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

They keep talking about searching photos in Google Photos in the I/O keynote, but it has literally never worked for me at all.

I've got tons of pictures of my dogs, my cat, my son, etc, and it always has 0 results for "dog", "cat", and "baby." What am I doing wrong? Do I have to flip a switch somewhere?

edit: Actually it works great at photos.google.com, but doesn't work at all on my phone. It even says that nothing is backed up to The Cloud™ even though everything from my current phone is there on the website.

edit 2: I've figured it out! There was the Google Photos app that came with my phone, and the Google Photos app that came from the Play Store. For whatever the hell reason, installing/updating from the Play Store didn't jive with the bundled version of that app. I disabled the bundled version, and cleared the cache and data for the Play Store version and now everything is peachy.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 18, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I was going all over the past few days getting home improvement stuff together and going to family functions. I only got one survey. :saddowns:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

No, man, I'm not saying that. Keep up with the soapless showers, those are totally working! You definitely don't smell like a high school gymnasium.

There are people that seriously believe that soap is some scam, and using it only makes their bodies need to be cleaned by more soap. I'm not one of those people, because those people are loving bonkers.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I've been using this forever. It's good, and supports more than just Drive and Dropbox.

I have it set up to sync some stuff once a day when I'm on Wi-Fi and charging.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I'm sorry, I know this was asked before, but I can't find it now. What do people use to get new TV episode notifications? Google Now still doesn't do that anymore, right? If it does, I can't figure it out how.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I've been using Swipe for Facebook for a while. Is Metal way better, or does it just have Twitter support too?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Does anyone have the issue with hangouts where you tap a notification, and the splash screen never fades away? It happens to me once a week at best, and multiple times a day at worst. This has plagued me through my GSIII running CM and now my bone stock Droid Turbo.

You end up having to back out to the conversation list, but now whatever conversation you were trying to read is marked as read. It's a real treat when you just want to reply to a text quickly.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

The other day, my company told everyone to update their email signatures to be these new fancy pants HTML email signatures.

We use Gmail, but amazingly, the Android Gmail app has no support for HTML signatures or using the same signature I have set up in regular non-mobile Gmail.

Is there a (free?) email app that supports Gmail and HTML signatures?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Eikre posted:

I don't really feel like setting up a gmail account on my phone to test, but what happens if you just open up <html> tags in the plaintext? Seems to me that you could just copy the source code. Might not fit in the Signature field if you're using some bullshit base64 JPG, though.

The thought occurred to me, but doing that on a phone seems like a pain in the dick since you have to jump through hoops to view HTML source on Chrome for Android. Might as well try I guess.

E: Yeah, that worked about as well as could be expected. It treats it like plain text, and doesn't convert any tags to HTML. If it does do any conversion, it just esacpes the HTML. So that's not an option.

I have a plain text signature in place, it's just stupid that I can't use one signature across devices.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 15, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

jokes posted:

I've been using a good email client that recently went into a weird subscription thing and I decided to jump ship. What's a good email app that has a unified inbox for all my accounts (gmail and outlook) but also is secure and isnt shady as gently caress? Bonus points if it fits a blue theme, since Gmail's glaring red theme is.. A little much.

Rip, CloudMagic. :(

I can't tell if the new subscription thing is just for their extra features, or the whole email client.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Don't worry. Maybe Google will finally make a true knockoff iMessage in their 2017 messenger app.

Yeah, that's my hope as well.

Needing a data connection makes me think Allo wont work with Android's Battery Saver mode either. Not that I have any concrete info there. Just seems likely.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I've been talking to my brother for a few minutes on Allo, and it's pretty much just "Well, I guess this puking sticker is kinda funny in a childish way."

I tried texting myself from Allo, and it came through from a short code. Then Hangouts told me it would cost money to reply to it. That is streamlined as gently caress, and not a super lovely experience at all.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

RJWaters2 posted:

What app should I use to sync some calendar events between 3 people's phones?

I've got a shared Google calendar with my wife, but I don't know about only syncing specific events.

Of course you could always just create a new shared calendar specifically for sharing events between 3 Google accounts (and then their phones) but that might be a little more work than it's worth depending on how much you need to do that.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Whizbang posted:

I'm just gonna keep using Google Wave.

The wave of the future.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure all three people this applies to will be up in arms.

I think Android wear is a total fad and will flop too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

also it goes all the way to the top.

I think anyone with any common sense could deduce that from how he loving sky dived into the keynote presentation to introduce Google Glass. That was both hilarious and terrifying!

What a wack job.

LastInLine posted:

I guess since you're just learning stuff now's a good time to let you know that Eric Schmidt has a soundproofed sex dungeon in Manhattan.
:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Why is it we care about Schmidt's sexual inclinations?

Like, what if it's like this? How is that not even a little funny?