Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Pvt. Parts posted:

Feature works fine for me. I guess you were expecting it to reload the every time you switch back to the app, right? Well, instead the option is actually 'Refresh on Start' and will reload when you arrive to the app after it not being in memory or whatever (i.e. after a reboot, after swiping it out of the multi-tasking screen, and I guess after it is pushed out of memory by other apps). Unless I'm missing something here I'll admit this isn't convenient at all. Oh well, reloading is just a swipe away.

Ok, that's what I was suspecting it meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Also, the OP is missing grocery apps. I don't use one, but I was just thinking about getting something set up for wife and I to use. Is Our Groceries still the thing to use?

My wife and I used to use Our Groceries (she's got an iPhone), but eventually it stopped syncing at all. Now we use the Kroger app, and it syncs most of the time. I don't know why it seems to be so difficult to sync one account, even though it is across different device types.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've considered moving to something other than Google's Authenticator, but since I only have two 2FA accounts, it's not a big deal for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kheldarn posted:

OK, so we know that ES File Explorer is now garbage. What's a good replacement? I don't care about root, because I'm not rooted, and I don't care about material design, because I find it ugly.

Also, webcast apps. Pfft! I don't have anything to do with webcasts. :smug:

I've been trying out Root Explorer since I evidently bought it at some point, and it's been working well enough. I haven't had a chance to add an SMB for my computer, but adding and working with Drive and Dropbox has been pretty easy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anyone else who uses (Root) Explorer and has successfully set up an SMB share? It worked fine with EStrongs and was pretty easy, but I can't get Root Explorer to find the server. I put in the IP and my login information but it only shows "parent folder".

Edit: it works if I add @gmail.com to my username, since that's my Microsoft ID username; it just took longer than I was expecting.

hooah fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 30, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Souffle posted:

There's 3 of us then. I love BeyondPod and have never had any problems with it. I've tried using the paid version of Pocket Casts for a while and couldn't stand it. It was slow and buggy and also lacked a lot of features I wanted.

I've just started trying Podcast Addict as a replacement for BeyondPod, and after one day, it didn't freak out when switching from headphones to my car's bluetooth, which is the one glaring issue I've had with BeyondPod, so so far, so good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I've just started trying Podcast Addict as a replacement for BeyondPod, and after one day, it didn't freak out when switching from headphones to my car's bluetooth, which is the one glaring issue I've had with BeyondPod, so so far, so good.

The bug happened today with Podcast Addict, so it must be something independent of the app. Back to BeyondPod I go!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
And if you want to get super nerdy about it, get DiskUsage.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
As far as I'm aware, it can only scan each partition separately, but it will definitely tell you how much space a thing is using. It's akin to WinDirStat or Sequoia View for Windows in the presentation aspect.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So now what happens if I just... never update Pushbullet?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, broken for me too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, Circa is coming back!

Sounds like the new owners are making some changes, but hopefully its still awesome.

Excellent news!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

verbal enema posted:

I like my phone not being able to have the lock screen setting able to be change at any time

...What?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What functionality are you looking for? GPS Status will help you with AGPS stuff and let you leave GPS waypoints. Google Maps uses GPS.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there something that does SMS mirroring like PushBullet but with a higher free limit, or MightyText but with a stand-alone desktop client? Or failing that, something with a subscription cost that only includes the SMS mirroring?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh. They sure don't advertise it, though, because u just went to their site today. Thanks, I'll check it out!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Messenger have a quick reply thing? That's what I like about Textra (and maybe other third-party texting apps).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Whoever told me that the stock Messaging app has a quick reply popup must have misunderstood me, since it doesn't seem to have that. Back to Textra.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, my mistake. I was imagining something like Textra's or Go's popup, rather than something you have to bring up on your own. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Edit: I was confused by the names. Motorola installs Messaging, but not Messenger.

hooah fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 19, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

I use the web browser for Facebook and Messenger to chat and have no issues.

Yeah, this is what I do as well. I use Firefox though, so I don't get notifications, but it's not like I get that many anyway.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There's an emulator for TI 89/92 calculators. You need to get the actual ROM, but it works just like the physical thing if that's your boat.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a good app to give a notification based on when a package is delivered? Amazon's free 5-8 day shipping somehow turned into two days, and I won't be home when my package is delivered.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just need it this once so I can have a friend pick up the package, so the free version is just fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

To be fair I'm not doing anything that requires even one pane anymore. It's just a silly restriction to have when every other file browser has a pane for everything. It's just more logical to me for there to be a pane for SMB, one for cloud services, one for the phone, etc.

I don't know what their interface used to be like, but I think Solid does what you want now, albeit in the drawer rather than always in view.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Red_Fred posted:

Is the pay version of Lux worth it? Alternatives?

I have the pay version of Lux, but I don't remember what it includes in addition to the free version. That being said, I've been happy with it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not without rooting. Those are both system things.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Adenoid Dan posted:

Speaking of which, one note is a great Android app and I also use it on my windows laptop and desktop for a variety of things.

I'm in a technical field, so the Android version is largely useless to me until it can display math, unfortunately :(.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else with Weather Timeline have a weird bug where if the timeline isn't all the way at the top when it refreshes, you have to scroll further down after the refresh in order to scroll back up past where it was before the refresh?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if Metal will permanently remember to show the news feed in chronological order? That's my biggest gripe about the Facebook app or the mobile website.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any recommendations for apps that will read texts while you're driving, but that doesn't get thrown off by a few texts in quick succession? Moto's Voice Assist is pretty good if you don't get any message while it's dealing with the first, but my wife tends to send batches of a few texts in a minute, and it really confuses Voice Assist.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So is the Android Pay Tap 10 promotion just some sort of weird beta thing? We heard about it at least a week ago, but I at least haven't seen anything in my app about it. They're running out of time to give me my free poo poo :argh:!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bunky posted:

Light Flow has a sleep mode, allows you to set up specific notifications for any contact and can exclude contacts from being affected by sleep mode.

Warning: might interact strangely with Lollipop+'s built-in priority mode or Motorola's enhancement of it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
^^^ Tasker, probably.

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for apps that will read texts while you're driving, but that doesn't get thrown off by a few texts in quick succession? Moto's Voice Assist is pretty good if you don't get any message while it's dealing with the first, but my wife tends to send batches of a few texts in a minute, and it really confuses Voice Assist.

This might have gotten skipped. Or maybe no one has any good suggestions. But if there are any suggestions, I'd like to hear 'em, please.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I subscribe to Skeptic's Guide to the Universe's premium feed, myself.

About BeyondPod, is there a way to mark all episodes before a certain one as read?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Manky posted:

Podcast Addict does this too

I'm sure it does, I just couldn't get the hang of PA's workflow, or something. I tried it out back when I thought the bluetooth bug I was experiencing was due to a specific player, and I just didn't care for it, although I can't remember exactly why. I suppose I could try it again, but then I think of adding all my podcasts again and ...:effort:.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the best KeePass client for Android?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wolfbiker posted:

Anyone else experience Messenger RANDOMLY TYPE ALL CAPS when typing messages in the quick reply box? Mine does this frequently and it's aggravating.

I haven't. Have you tried a different keyboard?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nova Launcher Prime is on sale for a buck for anyone who doesn't have it yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't have any idea, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've often noticed that images with text tend to look horrendously compressed on Facebook, although I don't know the source for any of them (i.e. computer or phone).