Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Do all podcast apps add ads to either (or both) the start and end of podcasts when you download them rather than stream?

I'm not super heavy on podcasts (yet?) but I'd like an app where I don't have to skip a minute of ads every episode. I tend to download them because the phone reception can be a bit spotty where I work, but this seems to be an excuse for apps to put ads everywhere. I checked out Google Podcasts and Podcast Addict today and both did this. Neither seem to have a paid version to get rid of this them.

I was thinking of trying Pocket Cast or finally shelling out for Spotify for this and music, are there any other apps to try out for an Android user? I have a Pixel 5.

Edit: I guess this sorta narrows it down, the main one I listen to lists these as the apps that have it:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

hooah posted:

I don't think it's the app. My understanding is that it's the podcast itself.

So I have to stream it to avoid the injected ads? That's weird and lovely

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Inceltown posted:

No, the stream will still contain the ads. Podcasts are as big as they are because iHeart Media and co can shovel ads into your ears - streaming it isn't some loophole to get around that.

In my testing of the two apps today it seemed like there were only ads bookending the podcast when I downloaded it first. I'll double check tomorrow but that's why I was asking.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Pvt. Parts posted:

Guys just listen to the ads you'll be OK. People aren't doing good podcasts for free.

The ads are REALLY loving jarring, I'd rather pay the app some money to get rid of it but I can't find any apps that say the premium version gets rid of those ads

Flipperwaldt posted:

Antennapod has a per subscription setting to skip a custom number of seconds at start and end of episodes.

If I'm at work I'd rather download it, getting the ads, if I'm at home I just stream it, so I'd be skipping talking

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Inceltown posted:

No, the stream will still contain the ads. Podcasts are as big as they are because iHeart Media and co can shovel ads into your ears - streaming it isn't some loophole to get around that.

Here is an episode before I downloaded it:

And here is after, notice the length has increased for the ads

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

hooah posted:

PocketCasts has this too.

Are there any podcasts you pay for that have an ad-free version? That'd be the best way to test where the ads are coming from. I have one such podcast, and with Pocketcasts I've never heard any ads from the ad-free feed.

I really only listen to one, Wheel Takes, and I don't see a pay option/ad-free version.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

hooah posted:

Ok. What apps have you tried so far? I don't think PocketCasts adds ads, and I would be surprised if Podcast Addict did - I think they're open source.

Man now I feel dumb, I've solved it by visiting their Twitter which said they switched hosting companies and the new one added ads. Four days ago. I usually don't visit their Twitter because of spoilers. That explains why I was sure they didn't do it in the podcast themselves.

Edit: I think this might also explain the streaming vs downloaded versions, because today all versions have ads. I'm thinking since I am working though their old stuff I listened to some before the ads were retroactively applied, but the download forced it?

pik_d fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 24, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I can second the suggestion for Pocket Casts, it does everything you're asking for and has a desktop app (not free) that syncs with your mobile app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

deong posted:

This.
I watch youtube all day at work then youtube music driving etc. No ads.
Pocket Casts works pretty good. https://pocketcasts.com/

Seconding Pocket Casts, I love it.