Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There is no reason SMS Backup+ shouldn't just be a part of Android or at least Google Play Services.

As for LastPass vs. KeePass the truth is that if your grandmother couldn't reliably use it then it's not ready for consumer use and KeePass, the service that requires a million other services to do anything, would be the posterchild for "too complicated to recommend".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Why won't Google let me pay for ad free Weather Underground with my Survey Funbux? :(

Do you have enough Survey Funbux to cover the cost? You can't split payment methods.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Just yesterday I got materialistik and nova launcher just so I could use it. I've never used a 3rd party launcher but I have no regrets, it's great.

Now I just need a grenade icon that doesn't suck. (sorry I know this isn't exactly the thread for this)

One thing I don't think I could give up about Nova is swipe actions for the dock. So for me on the main dock page I have in order: Phone, Hangouts, App drawer, GMail, and Chrome. But if I swipe up from them, I get Contacts, G+, Settings, a folder for security poo poo (Authy/LastPass), and Something.

You can see how they're related to each other (Phone/Contacts, Chrome/Something) but I don't have to have a million icons everywhere even though they're front and center.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

The app is simpler, it encrypts your code database locally and syncs between devices via Dropbox.

I wasn't exactly worried about Authy having my poo poo, but switching to Authenticator Plus cost me no features, a little bit of money, and a few minutes of time. All in all, you gain security for little cost.

If you're still using Google Authenticator, you would gain a lot of convenience with only the most hypothetical decrease in security. (As long as you trust Authenticator Plus to actually encrypt the db and not be harvesting your info)

Huh, it has a Wear component which, I'm not going to lie, is probably more valuable to me than Authy's Chrome app. Now if I only felt like doing this right now...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Our Groceries still owns so hard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Is there a groceries/inventory app that uses the bar code scanner? It seems such a no brainer.

Our Groceries does but I've never used the feature.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is it possible to share my phone as a network drive?

I know you can on Mac but I'm almost positive it won't work on Windows.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bloodplay it again posted:

Within the past couple of days, ES File Explorer pushed out an update that added bloatware. I woke up this morning to a "# junks need to be cleaned" push notification and, as it turns out, it's from ES File Explorer. If anything, it serves as a quick reminder to disable auto update when I get my next phone.

Or just use a different file browser.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah I use a file browser to copy media from and photos to my file server at home on at least a weekly basis.

I'm using (not Root) Explorer at the moment and am pretty happy with it.

I use Root Explorer (though Explorer is free if you don't need root). It's Holo rather than Material but given how seldom I use it it's tough to complain.

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

The app is simpler, it encrypts your code database locally and syncs between devices via Dropbox.

I wasn't exactly worried about Authy having my poo poo, but switching to Authenticator Plus cost me no features, a little bit of money, and a few minutes of time. All in all, you gain security for little cost.

If you're still using Google Authenticator, you would gain a lot of convenience with only the most hypothetical decrease in security. (As long as you trust Authenticator Plus to actually encrypt the db and not be harvesting your info)

Thermopyle, as usual, was right. This is worth the three dollars and worth the time to switch over. The only thing that was giving me pause was Authy's Chrome app which was a lifesaver if I forgot my phone but needed to log in at work but having a Wear component makes it that much nicer.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 24, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've been trying out Root Explorer since I evidently bought it at some point, and it's been working well enough. I haven't had a chance to add an SMB for my computer, but adding and working with Drive and Dropbox has been pretty easy.

What I like about Explorer versus Solid is the ability to have more than two panes to work with.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syjefroi posted:

Yeah I've got the merge thing off, the clutter it creates is maddening. The recent tabs, I see that now, thanks. I don't understand why they took away the functionality though. Now I have to long press each tab to choose to close it, which then bounces me out of recent tabs. Like, am I crazy or does this more or less break a key functionality component of chrome? I used to do tabs rapid fire, now it's like they don't actually want me to use a browser for anything other than a linear path through sites.

Is there any possible way to go back a version?

Can you show me what you're talking about? I'm on the current Chrome version (47.0.2526.27) and it still works just like it always has.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Well now that Pushbullet is a mother fucker of a company who is going subscription instead of being a paid app, is there a decent alternative? I just want to SMS from my computer, and PBs 100 message limit is ridiculous.

Why is it bad for them to do a subscription model for features that they incur an ongoing cost to maintain? It seems that's the only viable way for them to offer such things?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

They are offering a bunch of poo poo I don't want or need, at a very high relative cost. It's like cable television. All I want is sms on my computer. If they absolutely cannot make this happen without some big expensive server infrastructure, then charge a subscription fee I guess. But as it stands I feel like I'm just being oversold, so I uninstalled.

Yeah that I can understand. I only care about SMS and notification mirroring (not even really the actions for them) so I'm not going to pay either. The SMS limit is low but I understand that's an ongoing cost for them so I get it. It's a good thing I use few SMSs per month I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

And Google Authenticator is a Two-Factor Authentication app. One factor is your password. The other is a "randomly" generated passkey that the app will show you. Most good services and games support using this to login, and you should be using it on your Google, Amazon and bank accounts at a bare minimum. Authenticator+ or Authy are preferable over the standard app because they allow you to transfer it between devices easily and restore it if something fucks up nice and easy, as well as one app for all your 2FA stuff.

Authenticator+ is so good with a Wear device. I thought I'd miss Authy's Chrome app but I just don't and it's so convenient on the watch.

Also Dropbox and LastPass and for god's sake if you use TurboTax, Intuit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, but it's not bad on my 360. That may be because I almost never open any watch apps so Authenticator is always at the top of my app list, and even if I've opened another app...Authenticator starts with "A".

It's exactly this. I use it every day at work so it's at the top of my list and wouldn't be far down even if it weren't. It opens really fast on my second-gen 360 and it looks and works perfectly. It actually opens a lot faster on my 360 because the app on the phone has a splash screen and a PIN lockout whereas this just opens.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

Er... that's what the Hangouts app is currently

What he wants is for SMS to be present and available on the desktop in Hangouts and he's right, it's a glaring omission because they don't want it to work the way iMessage does.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bhodi posted:

That's creepy as gently caress and the instant a random bot chirps up with a unsolicited suggestion in messaging, people are going to flip their poo poo.

Flip their poo poo more or less than someone responding earnestly to a facetious post?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

:stare:

I don't know that there's a method beyond uninstalling things that might be causing a problem but let's be real, it can't be too hard to track that one down.

The obvious first step is rebooting.

Also the comic sans system font, classic Samsung.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

She installs a lot of apps. But she claims that she hasn't installed anything new in some time.

I've just stopped questioning some of her decisions. Whatever.

Yeah I had her reboot. I told her facebook sucks but she doesn't believe me. So I'm going to poke around the phone tonight to see if anything stands out and maybe what app used most battery today. I was just hoping there might be an app out now that can tell you.

It's a pickle for sure. It looks like either it's a permissions issue (something needs access to something that's being denied and it's just hammering it) or maybe a broken sync somewhere. It could also be something that starts in the background so it might be difficult to just track after a reboot.

If there are too many apps to track that she has which you don't, then the next best choice is to look at the recently updated list in the Play Store to see what's updated in the last week or so, maybe something there broke it?

At the very least just waiting for the constant wake to appear then looking at the Recents list in the app switcher might point to the offending app (which would hopefully be the last thing she activated). If I had to point at stuff I'd look for third party apps that access services (like maybe a Twitter client run amok) or something that would obviously have a need to sync regularly. Lastly something that would need to access a service in the background, like a GPS app. I mean, if it's keeping the device awake when you're moving in and out of other apps it would need to be doing something that isn't ephemeral (like, say, accessing the camera). It would have to be trying to access a data connection or some sensor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

What is a "chrome notification"? Do I need the Beta app to get it? I don't have any problems with the app per se but it is gigantic so if I didn't have to have it that would be cool.

Chrome notifications (I think) are a service that allows websites to send notifications via Chrome, sort of blurring the lines between a website and a local application. I've never used them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm on Marshmallow and I'm getting more surveys than ever before. Not only do I get my Buffalo Wild Wings survey two days after I go to one, I'm getting a lot of the ones where I haven't been to any of the places recently.

Hell, in the last seven days I've gotten seven and in the month of December I've gotten 37. Marshmallow came out on October 5 and I've gotten 76 surveys since that day.

It's not Marshmallow, you guys just aren't eating enough wings.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tots posted:

How do I get on this survey train?

Install this, take the initial survey (don't gently caress it up, there's a trick question in there), and wait a month. Make sure your location history is turned on then go to Bedubs and Walgreens a lot and you'll never pay for an app, song, or movie again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

The real, honest answer is that the bottom's falling out of the mobile ad business. Google are giving up their search/ad business in order to sell lawnmowers and yard equipment instead

Silly, they're still in the search business... only now it's for truffles (white or black).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

It's a joke chill out. Don't care and I'm sure she has happily set it back. I'm glad that in the android apps thread even
when I initially brought up the issue, the font is all that has mattered to you guys.

I'm glad you tracked it down. Amazon Underground of all things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Our Groceries. Sharing is reliable and instant in my experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

No downside, it's a great app.

Like DemonMage, I find the navigation to be quite limiting unless they finally got rid of that awful two pane limitation it used to have.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I feel like I've asked you this before, but what kind of things are you doing in a file explorer that require more than 2 panes?

To be fair I'm not doing anything that requires even one pane anymore. It's just a silly restriction to have when every other file browser has a pane for everything. It's just more logical to me for there to be a pane for SMB, one for cloud services, one for the phone, etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

More logical to have five panes dedicated to one thing each that you have to flip through rather than 2 panes that can do anything?

I find that more things always in the same place are easier to find than two things that could be showing anything.

Like I said, it's academic as I haven't needed a file browser in months (years?) and I was considering breaking SMB on my MacBook anyway as I haven't used it in forever but I don't know, I've just never liked Solid's developer or his UI flow. Now that there's a built-in file browser I wonder if I actually need a third party app but I know that it isn't moving data around on the device that's the problem, it's moving poo poo on and off when I change devices so there's always a rare need that AirDroid or Pushbullet can't really work around. It should be noted on OS X, Android File Transfer is so lovely that using USB to move backups on and off of devices is so unreliable that you just can't trust it so I need a way to move large amounts of files that isn't USB. The trouble is that most SMB implementations don't work well between OS X and Android either so...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Also why the OP hate for Gentle Alarm? I mean it looks like poo poo but works well. The suggested alternative looks almost as bad!

Didn't Gentle Alarm break with the changes to the alarm API in Lollipop? I thought it did but maybe there's been an update since then. I quite like Gentle Alarm despite not having used it since Timely came out but no matter how nice it is to use it is so goddamn ugly that there's just no way around it. It's simply too ugly to use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My thoughts on why alarm apps are so varied but so lovely is that everyone wants the same alarm app. We all want it to be simple, with a simple, modern UI that just does the things it needs to do. Of course the stock Clock.apk that comes with the phone is a little too barebones. It's close to what an alarm app should be, it just needs this one feature...

And that one feature is different for everyone.

It could be alarm sync, pre-alarms, alarm dismissal challenges, Tasker integration, NFC tag support, or a million other things that every alarm app specializes in which is how you get this situation. You've got two apps that are for people who snooze too much, or claim to monitor your sleep cycle, or read you the news in the morning, and but none can attract enough of a base to make continuing work on it to be worthwhile and the developer (rightly) loses interest then it becomes dated and users start looking for another app with their pet feature and here we are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

I have almost $17 in Google monies, what apps should I definitely own? I have Pocket Casts which is pretty much the only paid non-game app I own so lemme have it

Weather Timeline
Authenticator Plus
LightFlow
Nova Launcher Prime

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Also, get the paid version of your preferred podcast app.

He said that the only thing he'd bought was Pocket Casts but this is good advice. I bought the paid version of every app I have that has one, even utilities I almost never use like Ampere and GPS Tools.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah I tried it and it wanted me to look 'disgusted', I tried my best but it wasn't what it was looking for.

Imagine using a Microsoft product by choice. The face you're making when doing that is "disgust".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Massasoit posted:

Yea, I guess not so much a place I can list tasks, but more of a task manager where I can set reminders. I'm trying out Any.do. we'll see how that goes.

Any.do is a good choice for this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Hangouts finally has a quick reply! Looks like they haven't stripped SMS functionality...yet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...e-apk-download/

The big notice to install Messenger isn't exactly subtle though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeaconBlues posted:

Are there any SwiftKey users here?

Today's news is that Microsoft are buying the company:

https://blog.swiftkey.com/microsoft-acquires-swiftkey/

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/02/microsoft-is-acquiring-londons-ai-driven-swiftkey-for-250m/

My first thought, as an open source enthusiast, is "oh, no!".

I'm interested in what peoples thoughts are regarding potential data mining and if those of us with the paid version of SwiftKey will suddenly get hassled with (more) adverts. Any thoughts?

I doubt it will change anything in the short term and I'd imagine the worst case scenario is that it simply stops getting updated. I'd have to guess that Microsoft is far more interested in the underlying technology than the app itself. Also it's not like Microsoft has an vested interest in Android advertising revenue like the independent company had before so if anything I'd expect it to go free and ad-free rather than move in the other direction. Think about something like Timely which went from a (good) IAP paid system to totally free when Google bought them only to then just get abandoned. That's pretty much what I'd expect to happen here.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Am I the only person on the planet who has never seen an ad on YouTube ever?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Not even on someone else's computer?

Never anywhere. I'll admit I don't really around and watch YouTube but still.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeaconBlues posted:

Quick heads-up to say there's a banner under Google search today saying it's Safer Internet Day. If you click the banner and do a quick 1 minute account security check you are rewarded with an extra 2 gigs added to Google Drive storage.

It should be mentioned that this is just like last year's offer and I think the 2GB expire in about a year so if you did it then, you can re-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't think it expires. I couldn't find any reference to it expiring, and the only thing showing up with an expiration date in my storage graph is the 50gb Motorola promotion.

It might not. I've had so many Drive space promos come and go that I have no idea where the 2GB I've got now came from. I know most of their "Free Drive space!" things have a year on them, though. I know my Chromebook did and I want to say last year's security challenge had an expiry date too.