Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

hooah posted:

Can someone recommend a good email app that can do IMAP? Outlook has some bugs, and Gmail will both refuse to fetch new messages and resurrect deleted ones. This should not be so difficult.

I use AquaMail and I've been happy with it. It's been a while since I did any comparing. I remember that I went from K9 to AquaMail because K9 had more trouble with some HTML layouts in messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ignoranus posted:

Is there a good to-do tracker app for Android? I've got Colornote, which lets me create checklists but I have to go into the app and pull them up to view them. I'd love to have one that lets me add notes and details and organize them into priorities/set deadlines for them and that preferably has a widget or some sort of display so I can see at a glance (and be reminded when I look at my phone) that I have tasks I need to resolve.

Remember the Milk does that, as long as you have a subscription.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Apparently, MediaTracker isn't under active development anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that scan in new DVDs and BluRays and provide a way to track their location? I need location because every time my shelf space fills up, I move another bunch of disks to a storage bin, and so those bins have no coherent organization scheme. Since I have the inventory in MediaTracker right now, CSV import would also be a really nice feature.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

I've used Deliveries before and found it functional. I don't order enough that I care about it arriving for me to have a proper opinion though.

I also use Deliveries and I have no complaints. It took them a while to get their Amazon feed working with 2FA, and I was getting a little cross about it, but they fixed it and it works fine today.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking into package tracking apps and tried Deliveries. It seems decent but one thing I'm missing is that doesn't seem to automatically check to see if the status of my packages has changed, which also leads to me never getting a notification. Is this a premium feature or does the app just not do that? I wanna say I got a popup about some battery permission at the beginning but I taped that away accidentally before I could read it.

I use it and I get notified when a package is delivered. Off the top of my head I don't remember what other notifications I get, though I vaguely remember that there are some.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been a Touchdown user for ages but now that it's officially EOL, I'm looking to get current. Is Nine still the go-to app for people who want to sandbox their work email?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a monthly grid calendar widget that shows events and start times within each day and also supports scrolling? "Business Calendar 2" has all that except scrolling. I don't want to buy the pro version until I'm sure there's not a perfect widget out there.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

What do you guys use for shipment tracking? I've been using Aftership but they've switched to a subscription model.

I use Deliveries. There was a hiccup recently in their Amazon sync system but it went away for me, and it's been solid otherwise.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I never used Bluetooth for anyone other than basic telephony or audio functions before, but my new car can browse some of my phone's audio apps, like Google Music or Rocket Player. I don't know what that feature is called, but does anyone know a podcast player that offers it and that also works with Android Auto? It would be nice to have easy access to the same podcasts whether I felt like wiring my phone up or not.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ola posted:

I'm currently listening to a purchased FLAC album which I transfer as files in a folder. It's pretty lonely on this hill, but I am willing to die on it.

I share your conviction. Music is too important to me to trust to third parties. I want my music on my storage.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Good, focus on the road.

This isn't what happens, though. Nobody finds out that the album they wanted is not visible on screen and responds by saying, "Oh well, now I will stop trying to play what I want to hear, and turn my attention elsewhere." They keep trying to find a way to get what they want, so they're distracted for a lot longer, and getting angrier.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

vyst posted:

This is what I was going to say. It's honestly not hard to tell Google Assistant what you want to play. Like I get you will frustrate people by limiting screen access but much like seat belts, we should get used to it because it's safer on the whole

I'm certainly not white knighting for touchscreen interfaces here, because I hate them, and my car doesn't have one. I'm just cranky as hell because with the onboard infotainment and an SD card, it's straightforward to use the big knob and the back button to browse around to my heart's content. It's not ideal but it's not that distracting because I can just spin away when I know I have a lot to scroll through, and then look back at the screen when I suspect I've gotten close. Trying to use AA through the same controls, I feel like I'm fighting against the UI to make it do what I want, and the frustration mounts quickly.

Google Assistant seems to work in the cases they expect, but since I don't normally use it, I'm stuck sitting there on the road trying to remember which specific phrase will make it do what I want. Last time I tried, it took me three tries before I said enough and just switched back to the onboard. On the first, it didn't understand me. On the second, I didn't use the right word order, so instead of the playlist called "Rush - All", it just played some random Rush. On the third, it played the right playlist, but in Google Play Music, when I wanted it to use Rocket Player. After every try, I had to look down at the screen to see what it had done. It did not reduce my distraction level.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

deong posted:

Man, that last answer.

NO. The hate fuels our world superiority.

Someone with a good radio voice needs to record that, so a generation of recording artists can then sample it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

hooah posted:

It rarely synced well for me. I tried both Dropbox and Google Drive for the file location. I'm aware others have a nice easy time with it, but for me it was always a hassle, especially when any information got updated (i.e. new creds or updated password).

When I used Keepassdroid, I had the same experience. Since switching to Keepass2Android and having it connect directly to Dropbox, it's been trouble-free.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there an Android text messaging app with good anti-spam measures? I get texts for work and I don't know who they might come from, so I can't just rely on disabling alerts for texts from unknown senders. I look at the spam I get and it seems like a pretty simple rule of "unknown sender" + "contains URL other than a whitelisted domain" == spam. Textra can't do that and Google hasn't been real useful but I'm hoping I used the wrong keywords.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

I just put my music on my SD card and play it with PowerAmp. :shrug:

Preach, brother. Except I also use Rocket Player when I need Android Auto support.

Edit: Wait, my phone doesn't have an SD card. I put the music on internal storage.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

For syncing my music files to my phome, I use an app called Cheetah Sync, which has a daemon on my PC and a client on the phone. It works and while it's not fast, it seems like the bottleneck is the storage on my Pixel 2.

I experimented with an rsync client but it was harder to manage and turned out not to be any faster.

Edit: looks like Cheetah Sync doesn't exist anymore, so I too will be looking for a solution to this problem when I upgrade.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 13, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

fluppet posted:

Is there a thread approved replacement for k9 mail?

I'm a former k9mail user and now I use Aqua Mail for my personal account and Nine for work.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Hey folxs, I have some questions. I think I was recommended aquamail here years ago, it was fine. I paid a dollar or something for premium and it was a good mailbox for a time.

I swapped phones a few months back in what is turning out to be a side-grade. I downloaded aquamail again and it looks the same, but plays ads which is horrible. Any advice on a decent mailbox? I don't want to use gmail's app, just because I don't like the sorting.

I can't help with the rest, but this sounds like you either didn't reinstall the Aquamail Pro unlocker app, or else Aquamail isn't detecting it.
I got a new phone just a few weeks ago, and I vaguely remember having to take some extra step to make Aquamail behave, but it's fine and ad-free now.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Is there a way of migrating my 2-factor tokens from Authenticator+ to Authy? Just found out that Authenticator+ is no longer being supported.

I found a guide somewhere on how to do this. You use SQLite Studio to open your backup file and pull out the TOTP codes, which you can then add to Authy. I ended up creating a new temporary Keepass database to store them in so I could copy/paste them efficiently. It's not a fun process but I only had to do it once. Oh, and I seem to recall that the very latest version of SQLite Studio no longer opens the DB format used by Authenticator+, so you might have to download an older version.

Sorry I don't have more detail but I did this months ago, and I can't seem to find the source I used.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FunOne posted:

I'm a big bitwarden fan and it supports TOTP. You can open your authenticator+ backup with a SQLite app that supports encryption if you need to get at the original setup codes.

SQLite studio is how I migrated my Authenticator+ entries to Authy.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm an Our Groceries user and I like it.

A million years ago I had a frickin' Palm shopping list app with one killer feature I haven't seen since: you could list which aisle a given item was in on a per-store basis, then set your list to sort for a certain store, and have everything appear in aisle order. If anyone knows of an app with that feature today, I'd probably jump ship for it, and pay cash money for it too.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My wife and kid use Signal. Neither one has ever had any trouble making it work.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Foobar2000 / Podcast Addict. I use Foobar2000 because I really like a little crossfeed, and it was the first Android player I found that had it. Podcast Addict because I bought it when it was cheap and it had the flexibility I wanted to control playback order and downloading.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use Remember the Milk and it covers all my use cases.

I still miss the app I had for my Palm, though. It could track which aisle items were it at multiple stores, so when shopping, you choose which store you're in, and hey presto, list sorts by aisle. If there's an Android app that can do that, they can have my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Was the app crowdsourced or something with that information, or did you have to enter it yourself?

Also, which Palm? WebOS, or one of the ones before that?

drat, a little off-topic but remembering Palm/WebOS brought me back to summer 2009, when I was reading about a (seemingly) three-way race bubbling between iPhone, Android, and Palm. Exciting times...

You had to enter it yourself. This was back in the PalmOS era, on my Sony Clie.