Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm in school for machining, but thankfully most of what I do is CNC so the capacity for bodily injury is pretty low. That said, currently I'm TA-ing in China for a few weeks. All the chinese students wear long sleeves and no safety glasses while working with manual lathes and it skeeves me out.

Also the American teacher I came with took a picture of one of the 2nd year students literally sitting inside of a CNC milling machine changing out tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

What is cnc?

Computer numerical control. Just means all the machining operations are run by a program. What that kid was doing isn't *necessarily* unsafe(just really stupid), but having seen what I've seen here so far, it wouldn't surprise me if the door safeties on the machine were disabled so you could run operations with the doors open.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Triamcinolone posted:

hello fellow CNC student. How the gently caress did you end up in China?

the worst thing I've seen is someone who thought that G00 was faster than G0.

Sup buddy? :hifive: My community college has a study abroad relationship with a technical school here. Every once in a while they'll send some of their good students to the US to study, and then my school sends an american teacher twice a year. Sometimes students get to go with and I got lucky. Five week paid vacation and all I have to do is babysit students a few hours every day and grade their parts when they're done.

Ps you would shudder to see the state of their machines, they leave everything exposed to the open air year round, it's awesome

• Locked thread