Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I once saw this piece of code in a code review where someone tried to use double quotes to express a string in SQL. It has been the funniest most tragic thing I've ever seen aside from some weirdo not explicitly declaring a variable's type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

revmoo posted:

One of my old coworkers was told to add a clock with hours, minutes, seconds on a page.

He wrote an AJAX function that queried the remote server every second to get the current time.

One day someone ran a load test for credit card processing against a live environment. Whoops.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Regardless, I think you should not eat out of the trash.

Like you've never dug through the trash for that one last delicious hit of rum raisin, after your wife tosses all your booze out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm glad this thread is still going on, because I really want to share a story I had happen to me recently when I was working at the local race track. It was right before we closed up for the afternoon, early. They had to have some daylight to spread dirt around the inside of the track so the monster trucks could drive over cars the next day.

Well, it's not really race season right now so we open the track up to track days for all the local people who want to race their 1963 VW Beetles or whatever. You get to see some really creative folks, and it's kind of fun for everyone involved. Well, this one guy decided to bring a stock BMW M3 in. Brand new. That's fine, we see that all the time. He signs the papers over, we check over his car (there's a required safety check before the race) and take down his license number. Over the course of the day, this guy drives this car like crazy, just pouring the power on and squealing wheels at every possible moment.

By the end of the day we had to have him sit out a heat because we were worried he was going to pop a tire or something from all the heat.

Well the next day my boss calls me in and asks has 2 cops in his office. He asks me about the car and the guy and that entire day. The police take notes, thank me, and send me on my way. I ask them what this is all about and they said "Oh, that car was reported stolen 3 days ago."

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Another story from one of those track days. This time someone wanted to test out their homemade kit car on the track. They had spent years making this thing, and you could tell the guy was super proud of it. Our inspectors were kept by his car for half an hour while the guy explained all the things he'd done to make sure it would work safely.

He had it on a trailer, which should have been our first warning that it might not go well. The second warning should have been that he said it was his own innovations that made it really interesting. Well, it turns out that instead of using sheet metal or fiberglass for the body, he actually spent time shaping and attaching wooden panels. He thought that this would make the car more flexible in the turns and lighter.

You should have seen his face when he cranked the car up for the first time and after a few minutes the engine compartment (around the exhaust manifold) caught fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Again at that same race track, there was a time a couple of people brought rental cars to the race track. It was pretty hilarious, they didn't give a gently caress at all.

• Locked thread