Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Well youve come to the right place because I have a lot of pigs ive got 18 piglets on the ground rn and well here are some pictures of all the pigs

thanks for lookin at all my pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

they look delicious

Ya I butcher the boars at 8-12 weeks for sausage and as small roasters, and the gilts I grow out for a year or so for hams and bacon and lard and other poo poo

That'll do pig

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Apprentice Dick posted:

If they are not castrated they can develop a strong taste in the meat.

Yeah, this. Boar taint is genetic and I'm selecting against it so I just cull any that show it really early. I am learning to castrate so will eventually probably keep some barrows to grow out with my gilts but I'll still cull the majority of boars just because pigs have enormous litters and I don't have the pasture to raise every single pig born to size, and only so many are good enough to sell as breeding stock. They make really nice rabbit sized whole roasters at 8 weeks or so; just salt and pepper them and throw them in a roasting pan with some aromatics. I do that with the ones that show only mild taint, and the ones where its really strong I just grind for spiced sausage. Females I'll usually keep to grow to size.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

You can get a pretty big difference in flavour from breed to breed, mostly in the fat content of the meat. Pigs that provide leaner meat tend to be more popular in the west while asian countries tend to prefer pigs that provide fattier pork (as a broad generalisation obviously).

Yeah it varies tremendously, mostly to do with fat and marbling. Lard is really starting to come back in style in the west though. I raise registered kunekunes (some of the pigs in these pics are mixes, but I am gradually transitioning to all registered stock) because I'm into charcuterie and they are amazing charcuterie pigs due to the amount of marbling they have and the thickness of their fat covering on larger cuts (more fat enables longer drying times for cured meats and thus more/better flavor development.) Most western commercial pig breeds are so lean that they aren't ideal for the production of cured meats. I'd also like to eventually add a Mangalitsa or two to my herd to experiment with crossing them with the kunes, they have really incredible marbling.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Anywhere from 1-16. :) It varies a lot by breed, and the age of the sow is also a factor. The kunes typically have smaller litters (I would say 4-8 or 9 is about average for them) but it isn't uncommon for some breeds to have a dozen+ per litter.

• Locked thread