Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Nothing against you in particular, but I can't believe we're trying to nitpick why guns aren't in this show while a young boy bleeds and turns into a mindless kung fu killing machine.

Nanomachines :v:

They should have just had a scene in the beginning of the pilot where one of the bandits launch into a detailed and complicated argument about how easy it is to make a gun when they can make cars and motorbikes before Sunny flies through the air Wuxia style and decapitates him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Given that they refer to the Widow's oil fields, I think it's a safe bet that they're still using some kind of gasoline.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Nothing against you in particular, but I can't believe we're trying to nitpick why guns aren't in this show while a young boy bleeds and turns into a mindless kung fu killing machine.

Well, yeah. I was counter-nitpicking, if you will.

Gas is super easy though you just build a fire under the silo and put a pipe at the right height.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I watch the show for all the crazy fights and also that hot redhead

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomBlue posted:

Yes, but gas engines can run on high proof (and well filtered) ethanol (drinking alcohol).

I'm sure they have some kind of poppy bio fuel thing going on

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

come for the gory kung fu fights but things like the lame drama elements will make you want to watch something else.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rhyno posted:

Good thing gasoline is so easy to acquire in this world. And they seem to be able to generate electricity easily enough.

You're putting way too much thought into the plot details of a show that obviously exists to show off flashy action scenes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kimmalah posted:

You're putting way too much thought into the plot details of a show that obviously exists to show off flashy action scenes.

I put about 45 seconds into thinking about how loving stupid this show is. But I will continue to watch because I enjoy terrible television.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

My favorite part so far is when everyone turned out to be a secret kung fu master.

Edit: Seriously, my enjoyment went up 300% when I just accepted that this is a cheesy Shaw Bros movie set in the antebellum South for some reason.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 5, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Xand_Man posted:

My favorite part so far is when everyone turned out to be a secret kung fu master.

Edit: Seriously, my enjoyment went up 300% when I just accepted that this is a cheesy Shaw Bros movie set in the antebellum South for some reason.

I want to see Veil's kung-fu. I'm sure she's an unstoppable baddass too.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

The show probably should have been sold that way instead of trying to tie it to the viewership of the Walking Dead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

This is pretty much to summarize the horrible appeal of the show.

Everyone from hookers to random house servant knows kung fu in this setting.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

etalian posted:

This is pretty much to summarize the horrible appeal of the show.

Everyone from hookers to random house servant knows kung fu in this setting.

I think she was one of the Widow's ninjas acting as a hooker to gain access to Quinn's people.

And if the house servant's you mean are the Widows... Ninjas, man. Just ninjas.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saxa is in this episode, according to twitter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

I think she was one of the Widow's ninjas acting as a hooker to gain access to Quinn's people.

And if the house servant's you mean are the Widows... Ninjas, man. Just ninjas.

I stand by observation on the show having ninja hookers

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Fair enough.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Ninja hookers are the best kind of hookers

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Way to suck it up Sunny. KO in one hit.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
"Take this ancient Talisman."

*Hands over army man*

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
"you will need to interpret the sacred scrolls."

*Unrolls Bazooka Joe wrapper*

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I swear to christ Ryder's two red dots like old scars were on either side of his left eyebrow for previous episodes in the series, like a very large eyebrow piercing, and now suddenly they're both above his eyebrow.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This show is so loving dumb and I love it so, so much. Even my wife is getting into it. We are both from the South, so now I walk around talking to her like Quinn until she threatens to clip me. I hate that it's new because I want to binge watch it like Battlestar Galactica or something. The teenagers can't act worth a drat, though. MK is so loving awkward, and Tilda's eyebrows bother me for some reason, but it's worth it to watch a beardy southern plantation owner slice up redshirts with a broadsword.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I like that there's some kind of feminist conspiracy going on because the world is such a patriarchal shithole

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

New Leaf posted:

This show is so loving dumb and I love it so, so much. Even my wife is getting into it. We are both from the South, so now I walk around talking to her like Quinn until she threatens to clip me. I hate that it's new because I want to binge watch it like Battlestar Galactica or something. The teenagers can't act worth a drat, though. MK is so loving awkward, and Tilda's eyebrows bother me for some reason, but it's worth it to watch a beardy southern plantation owner slice up redshirts with a broadsword.

Quinn vs the Widow fight rocked

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

etalian posted:

Quinn vs the Widow fight rocked

I love that one of Quinns go to moves is to casually shank someone with his boot knife. :allears:

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This show vaguely reminds me of the comic series Lazarus, post apocolypse, split up by powerful families, elite defenders.

http://lazarus-comic.wikia.com/wiki/Lazarus_Comic_Wiki

Its been bugging me since the first episode.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

HardKase posted:

This show vaguely reminds me of the comic series Lazarus, post apocolypse, split up by powerful families, elite defenders.

http://lazarus-comic.wikia.com/wiki/Lazarus_Comic_Wiki

Its been bugging me since the first episode.

I thought they were making a TV show of that as well?

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

All the episodes except the last one for me had "Previously on AMC's Into the Badlands". The fourth only had "Previously on Into the Badlands".

It's now my personal theory that AMC is utterly ashamed of this show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

New Leaf posted:

Quinn is basically the only good interesting character on the show right now.

Also sort of funny that the actor for Quinn was Celeborn in the Lord of the Rings movies.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 8, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Except Quinn's just kind of a generic Evil Plantation Owner Man in Charge Who Wants Power with a terrible accent. I'd say the Widow and Quinn's son are the only interesting characters because at least they have some kind of motivation for what they're doing. Everyone else on the show is a hilariously shallow and flat cliche. To be fair the acting and writing isn't doing the characters any favors, with MK and Tilda being especially bad. This show's still somewhat entertaining but I'm real glad that it looks like we're getting into some actual backstabbing/political stuff because the stuff at Quinn's plantation is pretty drat boring.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VDay posted:

Except Quinn's just kind of a generic Evil Plantation Owner Man in Charge Who Wants Power with a terrible accent. I'd say the Widow and Quinn's son are the only interesting characters because at least they have some kind of motivation for what they're doing. Everyone else on the show is a hilariously shallow and flat cliche. To be fair the acting and writing isn't doing the characters any favors, with MK and Tilda being especially bad. This show's still somewhat entertaining but I'm real glad that it looks like we're getting into some actual backstabbing/political stuff because the stuff at Quinn's plantation is pretty drat boring.

Quinn's son is basically the gently caress you mom and dad I hate you whiny brat that gets reused in so many shows.

With Quinn you have a kiwi trying to do a Colonel Sanders accent.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think he's actually a good or well written character, I just think he's more interesting then Quinn or Sunny because at least he's in a position now to either backstab his dad or betray the Widow.

To be fair yes, Quinn's accent is probably the best character on the show. I'm not usually the type of person that cares or even notices accents, but that loving draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl he puts on every. other. word is so ludicrous that him and everyone he shares a scene with not cracking up and laughing when he speaks is arguably the most impressive bit of acting in the entire show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VDay posted:

To be fair yes, Quinn's accent is probably the best character on the show. I'm not usually the type of person that cares or even notices accents, but that loving draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl he puts on every. other. word is so ludicrous that him and everyone he shares a scene with not cracking up and laughing when he speaks is arguably the most impressive bit of acting in the entire show.

I burst out laughing when I heard his accent the first time in the pilot.

Celeborn can't do a good southern accent

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The Sunny/Widow fight was quite good. I'm interested to see the next episode actually.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I was confused about the significance of Quinn looking through the jail cell bars at the end, did he see MK turn into a super saiyan?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I love this loving show.

The fight scenes and the factions are cool as hell. I typically dislike most martial arts movies that overuse wirefu and stuff, but this is good poo poo.

The unstoppable demon boy is cool is poo poo, too. Black eyes of death.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wifey 2.0 is a stone fox...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Overdrift posted:

I was confused about the significance of Quinn looking through the jail cell bars at the end, did he see MK turn into a super saiyan?

Apparently? Why he decided he should dip down into the dungeons seconds after his new wife started dying in his arms though, well... :iiam: (just kidding the answer's plot and because no one writing for this show actually cares)

Rocksicles posted:

Drop dead gorgeous, if you will.

e: Also I can't wait for Quinn's super obvious "actually Sunny killed your parents" lie to completely tear Sunny/Vale's relationship apart and somehow lead to her eventual death.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 14, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Wifey 2.0 is def a upgrade over Catelyn Stark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is really hitting it's mark now. That House of Flying Daggers poo poo, with the conkers and the bear traps was well done.

• Locked thread