Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Welcome, to Something Awful Decides 1788-2000, the thread where you get to post, discuss, and mock Presidential candidates from across U.S. history. Each week, you will be told about a past election, have the opportunity to vote in it, and debate endlessly over which nominee is the least bad. It should be fun.

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE CURRENT ELECTION :siren:

Q: hi, what is this dumb thread about?

In this thread, I will be running mock Presidential elections for every election between 1788 and 2000. These elections will take one week, after which time I will announce the results and post the next election in the series.

In addition to providing a poll, I will give a brief background on every election and the candidates who served in it. You can use this thread to discuss these facts, encourage others to support your dream candidate, or complain about how every nominee is a literal monster. Depending on how successful this is, I might even post old political cartoons, campaign documents, and audio files.

Q: Okay, that sounds weird, but who will be included?

To make sure each election has some diversity, I will include every candidate that attained at least .05% of the national vote. I’ll mainly be using Dave Leip’s Atlas of Presidential Elections to determine who meets this criteria.

For elections before 1803, you will be able to vote separately for President and Vice President.

Q: How will you be conducting the poll?

Instead of setting up 54 different threads, I will be using Google Form to collect the results. If you know of a better service/ less abusable system, please let me know.

Q: How long will this thread be running?

Because I am consumed by self-loathing, I hope to keep this thread active until Election Day. I have already asked one of the moderators here to move the thread to Debate and Discussion if/when Election Erection closes.

Q: Hey, I disagree with how you represented a candidate. Can you fix that?

To avoid issues, I'll try to keep my background posts as simple as possible and avoid getting bogged down in inconsequential historical details. If you have an issue with how a candidate is presented or notice a mistake, I'll review the issue and decide whether to make a revision. Just keep me updated and be patient.

Q: Why are you doing this? What do you hope to accomplish?

I like history and want to be entertained.

I am also interested in the types of candidates that this board will elect. In its history, an enormous number of people have contended for high office. While some of these individuals have attractive platforms, strong managerial experience, and a network of backers, others have not. In certain elections, picking a candidate might entail sacrifices, either in policy or experience. The Prohibition Party, for example, once campaigned on a platform of civil rights, women’s suffrage, child labor laws, and the national prohibition of alcohol. Other parties might make wild promises, but provide no realistic way of achieving those ends.

I hope this project can generate discussion the types of candidates that are nominated and elected.

Helpful Resources:

Books
  • His Excellency by Joseph J. Ellis (George Washington)
  • First Family: Abigail and John Adams by Joseph J. Ellis (John Adams)
    • Burr by Gore Vidal (Aaron Burr)
    • Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (Alexander Hamilton)
  • American Sphinx by Joseph J. Ellis (Thomas Jefferson)
  • Madison's Hand by Mary Sarah Bilder (James Madison)
  • The Last Founding Father by Harlow Giles Unger (James Monroe)
  • John Quincy Adams: American Visionary by Fred Kaplan (John Quincy Adams)
  • Andrew Jackson: His Life and Times by H.W. Brands (Andrew Jackson)
    • Henry Clay: The Essential American by David S. Heidler and Jeanne T. Heidler (Henry Clay)
    • John C. Calhoun and the Price of Union: A Biography by John Niven (John C. Calhoun)
    • Daniel Webster: The Man and His Time by Robert Remini (Daniel Webster)
  • Martin Van Buren and the American Political System by Donald Cole (Martin Van Buren)
  • Mr. Jefferson’s Hammer: William Henry Harrison and the Origins of American Indian Policy by Robert Owens (William Harrison)
  • John Tyler: The Accidental President by Edward Crapol (John Tyler)
  • Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America by Walter Borneman (James Polk)
  • Zachary Taylor by John S. D. Eisenhower (Zachary Taylor)
  • Millard Fillmore by Paul Finkelman (Millard Fillmore)
  • BONUS: The Presidents' War: Six American Presidents And The Civil War That Divided Them by Charles DeRose (The Civil War and Buchanan, Tyler, Perice, Fillmore, and Van Buren)

Movies and Television
  • John Adams (Miniseries)
  • The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)

Podcasts
Other

Election Directory

1788-89: John Adams (Federalist) / John Jay (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1792: John Adams (Federalist) / Aaron Burr (Democratic Republican), Announcement, Results
1796: John Adams (Federalist) / John Jay (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1800: John Jay (Federalist) / John Adams (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1804: Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican) / George Clinton (Democratic-Republican), Announcement, Results
1808: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (Federalist) / Rufus King (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1812: DeWitt Clinton (Democratic-Republican) / Jared Ingersoll (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1816: Rufus King (Federalist) / James Ross (Federalist) Announcement, Results
1820: DeWitt Clinton (Independent) / Daniel D. Tompkins (Democratic-Republican) Announcement, Results
1824: John Quincy Adams (Democratic-Republican) / John C. Calhoun (Democratic-Republican) Annoucement, Results
1828: John Quincy Adams (National Republican) / Richard Rush (National Republican) Announcement, Results
1832: William Wirt (Anti-Masonic) / Amos Ellmaker (Anti-Masonic) Annoucement, Results
1834: Amos Ellmaker (Anti-Masonic) / VACANT
1836: Daniel Webster (Whig) / Francis Granger (Whig) Annoucement. Results
1840: James Gillespie Birney (Liberty) / Thomas Earle (Liberty) Announcement, Results
1844: James Gillespie Birney (Liberty) / Theodore Frelinghuysen (Whig) Annoucement, Results
1848: Martin Van Buren (Free Soil) / Charles Francis Adams, Sr. (Free Soil) Announcement, Results
1852: John P. Hale (Free Soil) / George Washington Julian (Free Soil) Announcement, Results
1856: John C. Frémont (Republican) / William L. Dayton (Republican) Announcement, Results
1860: Abraham Lincoln (Republican) / Hannibal Hamlin (Republican) Announcement, Results
1864: Abraham Lincoln (National Union) / Andrew Johnson (National Union) Announcement, Results
1865: Andrew Johnson (National Union) / VACANT
1868: Ulysses S. Grant (Republican) / Schuyler Colfax (Republican) Annoucement, Results
1872: Ulysses S. Grant (Republican) / Henry Wilson (Republican) Announcement, Results
1875: Ulysses S. Grant (Republican) / VACANT
1876: Peter Cooper (Greenback) / Samuel Fenton Cary (Greenback) Announcement, Results
1880: James Garfield (Republican) / Chester A. Arthur (Republican), Announcement, Announcement
1881: Chester A. Arthur (Republican) / VACANT
1884: Benjamin Franklin Butler (Greenback) / Absolom M. West (Greenback) Announcement, Results
1888: Benjamin Harrison (Republican) / Levi P. Morton (Republican) Announcement, Results
1892: Ongoing

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1788-89

:siren: Click here to vote. :siren:

Background:

The Election of 1789 is the first Presidential election under the newly ratified Constitution. There is minor opposition to this election by Anti-Federalists, who oppose the creation of a stronger federal government. However, their objections have been mitigated by the immense popularity of the election’s frontrunner, George Washington.

The states are looking for a charismatic leader who can shepherd this new system and a capable Vice President who can support him.

The Candidates:

George Washington
  • Notable Positions: Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, Delegate to the Constitutional Conventions
  • Party Affiliation: Independent
  • Biography: George Washington is the hero of the American Revolution and one of the wealthiest men in the former colonies. Though he never received a formal education beyond childhood, Washington is a successful military leader and a prominent surveyor in Virginia. He owns a plantation on the banks of the Potomac.
  • Platform: Washington has made no effort to campaign. Generally, he is opposed to political factionalism and an excessive national debt. He supports American neutrality in international affairs and free trade. He is considered a de facto Federalist on other policy issues. He is a slave owner.

John Adams
  • Notable Positions: Ambassador to England, Ambassador to the Netherlands, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Author of the Massachusetts Constitution
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist
  • Biography: Known as “His Rotundity,” Adams is a brilliant lawyer but prone to pompous behavior. In the years before the Revolution, Adams was a key figure in pushing the colonies toward independence. He and his wife, Abigail, hope to develop a coherent political philosophy to guide the new republic.
  • Platform: Adams considers himself to be naturally suited for the Vice Presidency due to his good relationship with Washington. Adams supports Hamilton’s economic reforms, which will empower the national government at the expense of the states, but considers domestic policy to be Congress’s domain. In foreign affairs, he supports closer ties with England. He is an avid opponent of slavery.

John Jay
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador to Spain, President of the Continental Congress, Author of the Federalist Papers
  • Biography: John Jay is the leader of the wealthy Jay clan and a dominating force in New York politics. Despite initial misgivings about independence, Jay served important roles in the Continental Congress and helped build the newly independent government of his home state. He was the chief negotiator in the Treaty of Paris, which ended the Revolution with American independence.
  • Platform: John Jay supports a strong, centralized national government and is willing to encroach on the states to build an independent American economy. He strongly opposes slavery and supports rapprochement with England.

Robert Harrison
  • Notable Positions: Chief Justice of General Court of Maryland, Lieutenant Colonel in the Continental Army
  • Biography: Robert Harrison owns a successful law firm in Alexandria, Virginia and is a close personal friend of George Washington. During the Revolution Harrison served as Washington’s military secretary. His father was a prominent member of the Maryland legislature.
    Platform: Little is known about Harrison’s political views. Though he holds the highest judicial position in Maryland, his decisions largely concern real estate law.

John Rutledge
  • Notable Positions: Governor of South Carolina, Delegate to the Continental Congress
  • Biography: John Rutledge is the son of a Irish immigrant who became a wealthy Southern plantation owner. During the Revolution, he governed South Carolina. After British forces seized it, he and Nathaniel Greene led the Continental Army to reclaim it. Rutledge was one of the most influential delegates at the Constitutional Convention. His brother signed the Declaration of Independence.
  • Platform: Rutledge is a political moderate and concerned with the procedural issues of the new constitution. He is responsible for denying the Supreme Court the right to issue advisory opinions, eliminating wealth-requirements in national elections, and establishing the single-man executive. He supports slavery and is strongly opposed to restoring ties with England.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm afraid to vote for anyone but the winners. I'd hate to butterfly effect this thing and end up with the Confederate States of America on the moon or something. :ohdear:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm afraid to vote for anyone but the winners. I'd hate to butterfly effect this thing and end up with the Confederate States of America on the moon or something. :ohdear:

But if you don't change the past, who is going to kill baby Hitler?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, should we campaign for our picks here to try to sway opinion? Team JohnJohn. I'll let the reader figure out which two I want them to vote for.

E: also this is an awesome idea.

E2: the only way I can think to avoid voter fraud would be to make people register to vote, maybe have a field for SA username? Don't know how to validate it, though.

carticket has issued a correction as of 15:16 on Nov 17, 2015

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Voter fraud doesn't happen!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I think a debate between John Jay and John Adams may be quite interesting. I am not a historian, so I could be wrong, but I believe that this would pit a man that owned slaves but took political action toward emancipation versus a man that made a point to never own a slave but at times dragged his feet on emancipation because the issue was too politically divisive.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Slavery was real bad. I wanna vote for whoever would try to end it. Who has the best case?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
OP, please record my vote as a write-in for Bernie Sanders.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Washington/Rutledge vote all day long. What kind of ridiculous person in TYOOL 1788 opposes slavery? Slaves will be integral into launching our new country as a super power. And 20% of the population of our fledgling country is the negro slave.

Washington Rutledge the pro cotton ticket.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bloody Queef posted:

Washington/Rutledge vote all day long. What kind of ridiculous person in TYOOL 1788 opposes slavery? Slaves will be integral into launching our new country as a super power. And 20% of the population of our fledgling country is the negro slave.

Washington Rutledge the pro cotton ticket.

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal...

This means slaves, too. At least the manslaves.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Washington/Adams, go along to get along.

And if we're allowed to use a historian's perspective, I voted Washington because at that time I don't think there was another man in the country who could have led us at that point. Whether his Presidency is judged good or bad, it was the only one that could have happened.

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Nov 17, 2015

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

Washington/Adams, go along to get along.

And if we're allowed to use a historian's perspective, I voted Washington because at that time I don't think there was another man in the country who could have led us at that point. Whether his Presidency is judged good or bad, it was the only one that could have happened.

It will be interesting to see how often we agree with history. Because in this one, I'm having a hard time motivating anything that isn't Washington/Adams. I thought maybe Washington/Jay...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

It will be interesting to see how often we agree with history. Because in this one, I'm having a hard time motivating anything that isn't Washington/Adams. I thought maybe Washington/Jay...

The country was VERY divided in 1788. Washington was literally the only thing they agreed on--the guy was as close to a King as we ever got post-American Revolution. He had to serve, and he had to serve at least as long as he did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s going to be amusing if John Adams accidentally wins the presidency because he’s the second choice for both Washington and Jay voters

Pre‐twelfth‐amendment elections were pretty silly, but at least they fixed the problem eventually. Something that was not done following the 2000 election.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

IMO we should be doing instant runoff rather than first past the post. Also, does Google sheets let you have a live updating graph? That would be cool.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

john jay sounds like a cool dude i voted for him

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i will forever love anyone who effortposts about historical elections btw

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
adams for god emperor

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

None of them seem to have firm opinions on abortion, gun rights, or Iran. What a weak-rear end slate of candidates.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Are non-americans allowed to participate in this? Because I'd love to.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

babypolis posted:

john jay sounds like a cool dude i voted for him

I'm still on the fence. I'm hoping people can come along with more knowledge than me to help me decide between Jay and Adams

Adams is Adams. He wrote the Massachusetts constitution which disallowed slavery in Massachusetts. He also owned no slaves. He also believed in public education, which is important to me.

Jay did own slaves. But as governor of New York he started the largest emancipation project prior to the civil war. Then again, Jay entangled government and Christianity more than I am comfortable with. But which founding father didn't?

Both are obviously federalists, and I tend to lean against states rights.

At the moment, I'm leaning Adams, but I'm open to persuasion.

Edit: obviously my other vote is for Washington.

alpha_destroy has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Nov 17, 2015

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Would you trust a man with your country, that can't even take care of his teeth? I mean look at him! Look at him. Won't open his mouth. All messed up. Here, look at my teeth. Shiny. Good. I'm smart, I know how to rotate the brush. This man doesn't. His ideas are as rotten as is his mouth.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ibogaine posted:

Have to show Donald Trump your long form birth certificate

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mr. Powers posted:

IMO we should be doing instant runoff rather than first past the post. Also, does Google sheets let you have a live updating graph? That would be cool.

Why would I introduce a sensible voting mechanism into a thread about the United States Presidency?

Google Forms does allow for a live updating graph, but I am hesitant to post it for fear of it influencing the results. I like the uncertainty as it forces people to make pragmatic decisions about their vote.

Ibogaine posted:

Of course. Go ahead.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm still on the fence. I'm hoping people can come along with more knowledge than me to help me decide between Jay and Adams

Adams is Adams. He wrote the Massachusetts constitution which disallowed slavery in Massachusetts. He also owned no slaves. He also believed in public education, which is important to me.

Jay did own slaves. But as governor of New York he started the largest emancipation project prior to the civil war. Then again, Jay entangled government and Christianity more than I am comfortable with. But which founding father didn't?

Both are obviously federalists, and I tend to lean against states rights.

At the moment, I'm leaning Adams, but I'm open to persuasion.

Edit: obviously my other vote is for Washington.

Well, according to the OP, Jay was in favor of a strong central government and was ready to encroach state rights, so he might just be your guy after all.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

QuoProQuid posted:

Of course. Go ahead.

Cool, thanks.

In that case I am throwing all my support behind Jay, because I do not only support his stance on slavery due to ethical reasons, but also because IMHO slavery was a major factor that held the American economy back. It was only profitable for a really small class of people who were overrepresented in Washington and in the trade policies of the time.

The US could have started to get properly industrialized much earlier, were it not for the free trade with the UK, which hampered manufacturing industries but poured money into the pockets of plantation owners (and hardly anybody else).

In other words, if you love the US as much as I do and want to see it prosper, vote Jay/Adams 88!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ibogaine posted:

Cool, thanks.

In that case I am throwing all my support behind Jay, because I do not only support his stance on slavery due to ethical reasons, but also because IMHO slavery was a major factor that held the American economy back. It was only profitable for a really small class of people who were overrepresented in Washington and in the trade policies of the time.

The US could have started to get properly industrialized much earlier, were it not for the free trade with the UK, which hampered manufacturing industries but poured money into the pockets of plantation owners (and hardly anybody else).

In other words, if you love the US as much as I do and want to see it prosper, vote Jay/Adams 88!

yeah that idea that american greatness was built on top of slavery has always seem pretty weird to me considering how inefficient slavery is

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

someone who knows about history tell me which of those candidates is the lfest

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's john jay isn't it

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's john jay isn't it

yes

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I look foward to forming the Socialist States of America in a few years

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Candidates on the Issues: Slavery

George Washington

quote:

I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it [slavery]; but there is only one proper and effectual mode by which it can be accomplished, and that is by Legislative authority; and this, as far as my suffrage [vote and support] will go, shall never be wanting [lacking]...

I wish from my soul that the legislature of this State could see the policy of a gradual abolition of slavery. 9

John Adams

quote:

"Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States ... I have, throughout my whole life, held the practice of slavery in ... abhorrence.".

John Jay

quote:

"It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused."

John Rutledge

quote:

If the Convention thinks that N. C. S. C. & Georgia will ever agree to the plan, unless their right to import slaves be untouched, the expectation is vain. The people of those States will never be such fools as to give up so important an interest.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

QuoProQuid posted:

Why would I introduce a sensible voting mechanism into a thread about the United States Presidency?

I don't have a counterargument.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
this is an excellent thread idea and I can't wait for 1860!

And I'll be voting for every Adams I can.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I'm banking on Adams.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
wtf is this bullshit

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Broenheim posted:

wtf is this bullshit

I have a hard time believing that John Jay is so Brazen in his undermine the sovereignty of our great state as well, friend. We just fought a long war against the crown, and the last thing that we want is to bow to another "King", or indeed, if he has his way, the SAME king. Now is no longer the time for this extremist nonsense. We are a young nation, and we should do this right.

Octatonic has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Nov 17, 2015

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Octatonic posted:

I have a hard time believing that John Jay is so Brazen in his undermine the sovereignty of our great state as well, friend. We just fought a long war against the crown, and the last thing that we want is to bow to another "King", or indeed, if he has his way, the SAME king. Now is no longer the time for this extremist nonsense. We are a young nation, and we should do this right.

We've just put in place a constitution that recognizes the average man is simple, which is why we don't directly elect a president. John Jay is ahead of his time and recognizes that the average state, too, is simple and cannot be trusted with much power. We must centralize authority to facilitate uniform law across this great nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Octatonic posted:

I think you are deliberately ignoring the Federalist Papers issues 2-6, in which he argues in favor of a strong Union to protect the sovereignity of this young great nation. And not merely does he understand the dangers of his age, but he also has the coolness of mind to secure the future of the nation by approaching past enemies in order to create security, stability and liberty.

No, no, there just is no better path for the nation to take but the one illuminated by John Jay.

• Locked thread