Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

AceRimmer posted:

Should make things more fun for whoever writes the cohesive timeline. :v:

I predict a large number of real-world winners losing by ridiculously huge margins and then somehow getting the nomination for President next time around. Also highly popular presidents suddenly deciding not to pursue a second term for no apparent reason. This is going to be fun.

e: while i'm at the top of the page rule britannia, we've got a King, he's got a crown and nearly a couple of his marbles left, what have you guys got huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
This is awesome and I look forward to voting in this, and volunteer my efforts to writing speculative timelines based on the wacky outcomes.

I've wanted to run a forum game/LP (wherein posters adopt the role of statesmen or states pre-1789 constitution) for a long time, so this'll have to do for now.

And the ultimate outcome of goons voting in radical abolitionists every election will be the early secession of the south, and conflict between the two (or more) new countries, without a doubt.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I can't wait until we vote out FDR and as a result lose the second world war

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fade5 posted:

So how long until the election happens? The (white, male, landowning) people are eager to see who leads this new country.

I think he already gave up, which is for the best probably, because at this rate this project won't be even close to finished by the time the next actual president gets sworn in.
it will take almost two months even if he does one election every day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OP said elections would be weekly. That doesn’t quite work with fifty‐six elections to cover and slightly less than a year to do it, but it’s close.

Angepain posted:

I predict a large number of real-world winners losing by ridiculously huge margins and then somehow getting the nomination for President next time around. Also highly popular presidents suddenly deciding not to pursue a second term for no apparent reason. This is going to be fun.

I propose that the rule for eligibility (currently .05% of national vote) should be amended to allow fictional incumbents to be elected for a second term.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Washington/Harrison. Washington needs to be elected, we can't risk the union being destroyed this soon. Quite frankly, I'd vote for Alexander Hamilton as VP if he were an option, but I can't give a vote to Adams or Jay as long as we have the possibility of not having Washington in charge. He's the type of person that we need to lead us, and his moderation will be a great way ensure stability.

It also can't be stressed enough that we can't have someone who will take power. Washington is a reluctant man, and he'll not keep the power so long to make him a ruler instead of a leader.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
If JFK isn't president, who gets assassinated?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

memy posted:

If JFK isn't president, who gets assassinated?

Richard Nixon :getin:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's no way that President Eugene Debs doesn't get assassinated.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
President Fredrick Douglas will reconquer the lost states of the southern confederacy, calling it now

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ralp posted:

I think he already gave up, which is for the best probably, because at this rate this project won't be even close to finished by the time the next actual president gets sworn in.
it will take almost two months even if he does one election every day.

Nah, I am still here. Weekdays are just busy for me and there isn't a lot I can post. The current schedule is still once a week. I may accelerate these early elections if people are getting edgy.

I will probably do a write-up on the Anti-Federalists or the Critical Period when I get off from work.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Nov 20, 2015

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I propose that the rule for eligibility (currently .05% of national vote) should be amended to allow fictional incumbents to be elected for a second term.

I disagree, the more nonsensical this ends up being the better.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Angepain posted:

I disagree, the more nonsensical this ends up being the better.

Exactly, let Adams win for 150 years. Adams corpse for pres

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Exactly, let Adams win for 150 years. Adams corpse for pres

I look forward to the 100 year reign of Eugene V Debs 1900-2000, best century ever

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

can we vote for washington as king

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
washington has no intention of being king

so yes

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

(Re)Elect Jay/Adams 1792

I have to start campaigning early since the polls will open this weekend.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

memy posted:

I can't wait until we vote out FDR and as a result lose the second world war
As much as I love him, I kinda wanna keep him from getting elected just to get rid of social security out of spite. Eat a dick, boomers. You don't get poo poo.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The real reason to not vote FDR is Norman Thomas.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Lycus posted:

There's no way that President Eugene Debs doesn't get assassinated.

He might get assassinated, though I predict him to hold office for about a quarter of a century first.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:siren: Polls for the election of 1788-89 will close at 8:00 AM EST tomorrow. If you are, for whatever reason, holding back your vote, now would be the time to use it. :siren:

The election of 1792 will be posted at the same time, so prepare yourself for a "struggle between the Treasury department and the republican interest." Jefferson and Hamilton are already organizing their forces.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

can we vote for washington as king

Sorry, but "SA Decides: The Newburgh Conspiracy of 1783" has already passed.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 14:38 on Nov 21, 2015

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
In new in this wild western wasteland called America, who should I vote for?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

When do we get to elect George Clinton as President for Life? America wasn't quite funky enough in its youth imo

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Oiled and Ready posted:

so are these elections considered canon for future elections or do we reset each time? This impacts my vote. I feel like if we're carrying the canon forward I need Washington but if we aren't I got to go with Jay.

when a president enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION RESULTS: 1788

Thank you all for voting in the first election of this new republic’s history. In a surprise upset, John Adams has been elected the first President of the United States. Serving as his Vice President is the equally surprised John Jay. General Washington wishes the best of luck to both these men and has happily retired to his estate at Mount Vernon. His Highness, John Adams, President of the United States, and Protector of Their Liberties looks forward to his next four years in office.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most popular candidates:

1. John Adams – 104 votes (72.7%)
2. John Jay 90 votes (62.9%)
3. George Washington – 68 votes (47.6%)
4. John Rutledge – 15 votes (10.5%)
5. Robert Harrison 10 votes (7%)*

Most popular tickets:

1. John Adams / John Jay – 59 votes
2. George Washington / John Adams – 41 votes
3. George Washington / John Jay – 22 votes
4. John Jay / John Rutledge – 6 votes
5. Robert Harrison / John Rutledge – 4 votes
6. George Washington / John Rutledge – 3 votes
7. George Washington / Robert Harrison – 2 votes
8. John Adams / Robert Harrison – 2 votes
9. John Jay / Robert Harrison – 2 votes
10. John Adams / John Rutledge – 1 vote

* Note: You will notice that there is an odd number of votes listed above. When originally putting together the survey, I forgot to insert a data validation and submitted a test vote for three men (Washington, Adams, and Harrison).

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Nov 22, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1792

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1792! :siren:

Candidates:

Sixteen years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the United States has begun to stabilize. Though Washington’s Administration has not been easy, he has succeeded in ending the direst threats to America’s independence and establishing precedent for future presidents.

With the advice of his Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, Washington has established a national bank and had the national government take on state war debts. Though many former Anti-Federalists see these acts as dangerous steps toward tyranny, American bonds are now considered safe in European markets. In New York and Philadelphia, these programs have been so successful that stock markets have formed. In other domestic affairs, Washington personally put down a revolt by angry veterans and farmers who were protesting a tax on Whiskey. He has also strengthened the federal judiciary.

In foreign affairs, Washington has asserted executive control over treaty negotiations to avoid foreign entanglement. Though beloved in France, so much so that Washington was sent the Key to the Bastille, Washington is deeply suspicious of the ongoing revolution in France. He has limited American support of the new French government, only helping the French put down the Haitian Revolution to reduce the country’s debt. Washington is also increasingly concerned about the British. Despite promising to recognize American sovereignty in the Treaty of Paris, British forces remain in their forts and outposts around the Great Lakes. There are also growing reports of British forces kidnapping American sailors. Washington does not believe the country can withstand another major war and hopes to resolve both these issues peacefully. Though he is expected to be re-elected, Washington’s Vice President is likely to be seen as a referendum on both these issues.

The Election of 1792 is also notable for being the first election with partisan undertones. Despite Washington’s pleas for civility, Hamilton and Jefferson are establishing loose political networks to support their policy preferences. For Hamilton, he hopes to build a centralized and fiscally sound union capable of co-existing with European powers. For Jefferson, he hopes to smash the tyrannical Treasury in favor of a decentralized, expansionist confederation where every man can own a plot of land.

Background:

George Washington
  • Notable Positions: President of the United States, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, Delegate to the Constitutional Conventions
  • Party Affiliation: Independent
  • Biography: George Washington is the hero of the new Republic and one of the wealthiest men in the former colonies. Though he was elected unanimously in 1789, Washington wants to retire from public life. He has offered himself for re-election at the behest of his Cabinet.
  • Platform: Though politically unaligned, Washington is a de facto Federalist. Washington has enacted Hamilton’s financial policies, strengthening the national government. He is committed to neutrality in international affairs. Former anti-Federalists are considering whether to resign from Washington’s administration in protest. He has made no moves to strengthen or harm slavery. Washington is suspicious of the revolution in France.

John Adams
  • Notable Positions: Vice President of the United States, Ambassador to England, Ambassador to the Netherlands, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Author of the Massachusetts Constitution
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist Party
  • Biography: Adams is a brilliant lawyer but principled to a fault, demanding adherence to precise pre-established procedural and policy guidelines. As Vice President, he has taken an extremely hands-on approach to the Senate and actively debates for the Administration, despite threats that he will be censured for doing so. He otherwise plays a minor role in politics and Washington rarely consults with him on policy matters.
  • Platform: Adams expects to be re-elected to the Vice Presidency. Adams supports Hamilton’s economic reforms, which will empower the national government at the expense of the states, but hates Hamilton himself. In foreign affairs, he supports closer ties with England. He is a strong opponent of slavery and believes in public education. He is wary of the revolutionaries in France.

George Clinton
  • Notable Positions: Governor of New York
  • Party Affiliation: Democratic-Republican Party
  • Biography: A Revolutionary War hero and Governor of New York, Clinton is a powerful force in New York politics. Before independence, he was known for protecting the Sons of Liberty, an act which earned him imprisonment by the British. During the war, he served as New York’s wartime governor and was responsible for coordinating the state’s war effort. His prior opposition to the Constitution has made Clinton a divisive figure outside the state. Hamilton has used his network of printers to spread rumors that Clinton is still opposed to the Constitution and will undo it if given power.
  • Platform: A former Anti-Federalist deeply committed to the small freehold farmers of New York’s countryside, George Clinton is known as the “yeoman politician.” He opposes Hamilton’s economic reforms, as he believes they will give the national government excessive authority over the state and individual. He is fanatically opposed to the British. Clinton would like to see the establishment of a standing army to protect existing territory and to seize British lands. He opposes slavery on a personal basis, but sees the issue as a low priority. He is inclined to support the French Revolution, but wants to see how the situation develops.

Thomas Jefferson
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of State, Ambassador to France, Governor of Virginia, Delegate to the Continental Congress, Author of the Declaration of Independence
  • Biography: Brilliant. Humorless. Cosmopolitan. Slaveholder. Jefferson is a man of contradictions, at once the author of the Declaration of Independence and at the same time a defender of the plantation system. Though his revolutionary zeal and legal brilliance attracts admirers, Jefferson is known for being uncomfortable in public settings. He rarely speaks before crowds, dresses in old-fashioned clothing, and often secludes himself from other people.
  • Platform: Jefferson is heavily influenced by the Enlightenment. He is committed to ending corruption and ensuring equal rights for all white male citizens by limiting federal authority. Distrustful of British aristocracy and the merchant class, Jefferson hopes to build an “agrarian republic,” an America large enough that every citizen owns their own plantation or farm. He supports wars that will halt “the dangerous extension of the British Province of Canada and add to the Empire of liberty.” He is a fanatic support of the French Revolution.

Aaron Burr
  • Notable Positions: Senator of New York, New York State Attorney General, New York State Assemblyman
  • Biography: Son of a Presbyterian minister, Aaron Burr is active member of the New York social scene and a Revolutionary War veteran. Though known by few people outside New York, Burr is quickly building a national reputation as a populist leader. Nonetheless, there are uncomfortable rumors about Burr’s his lack of principles and willingness to go outside the law. Burr is a known womanizer, but utterly devoted to his daughter.
  • Platform: Burr is extremely charismatic and has popular support as the candidate you want to have some whiskey with. Burr has allies in both Federalist and Democratic-Republican camps, but has lately begun siding increasingly against the Washington Administration and its “Federalist aristocrats.” He opposes slavery and believes that women are equal to men. He has made no public statements regarding the French Revolution.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Nov 22, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Washington didn’t want to be re‐elected, he should have encouraged another pro‐federal politician to run.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Platystemon posted:

If Washington didn’t want to be re‐elected, he should have encouraged another pro‐federal politician to run.

The Federalist argument is, "Oh God, Washington, please run. You are the only man whose election won't risk a massive civil war and British conquest of our new republic. Also, Hamilton has these great profitable ideas about financial reform that we would really like to get them passed without having serious opposition. We've got incredible amounts of money depending on the success of the National Bank and the stock market."

The Democratic-Republican argument is, "Yes, you are completely right. The old general is probably on the verge of senility and is being manipulated by the monarchist Adams and the bastard, immigrant Hamilton. However, not electing him risks a massive civil war and British conquest. You can guarantee that once we get in office, we'll make sure that President Washington is listening to the right people, people who won't try to infringe on individual liberties, like a man's right to own a slave."

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 15:26 on Nov 22, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think Washington was more aligned with the Federalists than either side wanted to publicly admit.

Federalists downplayed his support because he was more valuable to them as an ostensibly neutral candidate.

Democratic‐Republicans would have liked to call out Washington, but they knew that he was too popular and that any direct attack would backfire. Angling for influence via the vice presidency isn’t a strong play, but it’s all they could do with Washington in the field.

It’s an interesting question as to what the Democratic‐Republicans could have accomplished had they won the vice presidency. I don’t know that it would have changed much during Washington’s presidency, the VP having little real power, and Washington having formidable political capital, but it might well have upset John Adam’s presidential ambitions.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
from where I stand as a total plebeian and idiot, Aaron Burr kind of owns.

Burr-Adams '92

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i want to vote for hamilton! oh well. im going to keep being a partisan federalist until the hartford convention, and also voting in a stubbornly ahistorical manner

adams/washington, in that order

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
George Clinton! Let's conquer Canada and make Congress into a Parliament Funkadelic.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

While Adams and Burr are entertaining, sure, what I find even more entertaining is the possibility of establishing an even earlier Clinton dynasty. Is this Clinton related to our soon to be supreme overlord? Well, no, given that Slick Willie's surname comes from his stepdad! However, think of the possibilities. The Roosevelts, Kennedys, and Bushes all establish themselves much later. We can make an American autocracy where power is even more inheritable than it is today!

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Clinton/Burr to keep the dastardly federal government under control while also kicking British rear end.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Octatonic posted:

While Adams and Burr are entertaining, sure, what I find even more entertaining is the possibility of establishing an even earlier Clinton dynasty. Is this Clinton related to our soon to be supreme overlord? Well, no, given that Slick Willie's surname comes from his stepdad! However, think of the possibilities. The Roosevelts, Kennedys, and Bushes all establish themselves much later. We can make an American autocracy where power is even more inheritable than it is today!

Through his election, John Adams probably got his wish of making the President's title, "His Highness, the President of the United States, and Protector of Their Liberties," which seems fitting for an autocratic pseudo-monarchy.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

If Burr gets anything less than 100% of the vote, I'll be very angry.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

from where I stand as a total plebeian and idiot, Aaron Burr kind of owns.

Burr-Adams '92

agreed

also i vote for total alt history america, but with mostly the same candidates in every election.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Through his election, John Adams probably got his wish of making the President's title, "His Highness, the President of the United States, and Protector of Their Liberties," which seems fitting for an autocratic pseudo-monarchy.

That's pretty baller. It's up there with the best of euphemistic country names and leadership titles IMO.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There absolutely needs to be a strong central government, so the Democratic Republicans can all go suck it. Aaron Burr is sweet, but not the hero we need right now--we really need to establish John Adams owns bones, but I don't think he has the political clout right now to effectively get his policies passed. Washington to hold the union together, Adams to be waiting in the wings to step in and keep things going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Octatonic posted:

I hate to break it to you but we don't need to go alt history to get an early American dynasty started.

• Locked thread