Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm taking this as an excuse to post pictures of Peggy, my mystery terrier. I got her from a shelter in May this year, and she's turned out to be my dream dog. She's a classic terrier -- loads of energy, strong prey drive (loves tennis balls), completely insane -- and she has an an incredibly sweet personality. She loves other dogs, loves people and especially loves children. She learns quickly and she really aims to please, so she's easy enough to train so far. I only wish I knew what breeds she's made up of so I could recommend them! I think she's similar in temperament to something like a Cairn Terrier or a Border Terrier.

Here she is looking like a demon while playing with other dogs.

The whippet is her best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Terriers are sort of like 3-year-olds ... I love them, I love watching videos of them, I think they're hilarious ... but dear god, I don't want sole responsibility for one living in my house. I would happily play auntie to someone else's terrier, so I could spoil him and play with him and then send him home to the person who has to make sure he doesn't pee on the floor and chew up all the toys. I have two kids, dammit, I've done my time in the chewing-and-peeing-on-things trenches.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Craziness really depends on the breed of terrier, but they are generally pretty stubborn. I love the ones that I've been around, but I've mostly been around the more mellow ones. You're going to start out with a 3-year old that pees everywhere and chews up toys if you get a puppy either way.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
True, but I'm actually dreaming about getting like a 2-year-old shelter dog, so ...

I have known some really chill Yorkies. I could handle a Yorkie.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

pookel posted:

True, but I'm actually dreaming about getting like a 2-year-old shelter dog, so ...

I have known some really chill Yorkies. I could handle a Yorkie.

I've known some really loving awesome, sprightly Yorkies too. I tend to like the maniac dogs, myself. So, again, it really depends on the dog and the owner.

Look through private rescues, Petfinder.com etc too, if you're not having much luck looking at local shelters.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I run a daily search at the local humane society, the 4-5 rescues in the state that I've found online, a couple humane societies in other towns, and Craigslist and Craigslist equivalents.Basically everything in the state. All of that is maybe ... a couple dozen new dogs a day, mostly $500-$1000 Totally Legit Purebred or Fancy Hybrid puppies from sketchy sellers. And adult pit bulls languishing at the shelters.

I figure I managed to find a boyfriend out of an equally dismal dating pool in this region ... I'm sure something will eventually turn up on the dog front. But it might take a while.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So we went to a shelter adoption event and ended up putting in an application for this little dude. He is about 1.5, healthy, neutered, 1/2 shih tzu, 1/2 Lhasa apso, friendly, good with kids, 28 lbs. He is bigger than he looks!

.... Pic to follow in a sec.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Here:

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Congrats! He looks super cute and sweet. What are you going to name him?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Well, he was an owner surrender and he answers to the name they gave him, which is Milo. I don't think I'd want to change it anyway - he looks like a Milo!

When they first let him out of the cage he jumped on me and it was like being attacked by a cuddly miniature sheep. All that fluffy white fur and a very solid mass of body underneath. :3:

They said 8 people applied to adopt him though, so I don't know what our chances are.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
He reminds me of my friend's childhood dog :3: Hope you get him!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
:shittydog:

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Crossing my fingers for you!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So, he'd be living with my boyfriend for the time being. Boyfriend lives with his brother. They both like big dogs, and his brother is a marathon runner, and they'd been talking about getting a Vizsla. He had to check in with his brother about the idea of getting a mop dog instead. Apparently the cuteness won him over. :3:

Can't get much farther from "Viszla for a running companion" than Milo, I don't think.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like both shih tzus and lhasa apsos are normally under 20 lbs. Milo is, like I said, 28 lbs. The shelter people also told me that the owners who surrendered him lied about his age (said he was 3 but he was 18 months according to vet records) and also left him in the crate most of the day. What are the odds that he's just fat from sitting in the crate all day/getting overfed? Or is he likely to be just big for his breeds - or maybe he isn't really a straight shih tzu/lhasa mix? He's definitely chubby, but he's big, too, I think. When he jumped in my lap, he really felt like a solid medium-szed dog, not a little lap dog like the bichons I've been around.

I realize I may be overthinking a dog I have a 1 in 8 chance of getting, but he is SO FLUFFY.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

pookel posted:

So I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like both shih tzus and lhasa apsos are normally under 20 lbs. Milo is, like I said, 28 lbs. The shelter people also told me that the owners who surrendered him lied about his age (said he was 3 but he was 18 months according to vet records) and also left him in the crate most of the day. What are the odds that he's just fat from sitting in the crate all day/getting overfed? Or is he likely to be just big for his breeds - or maybe he isn't really a straight shih tzu/lhasa mix? He's definitely chubby, but he's big, too, I think. When he jumped in my lap, he really felt like a solid medium-szed dog, not a little lap dog like the bichons I've been around.

I realize I may be overthinking a dog I have a 1 in 8 chance of getting, but he is SO FLUFFY.

Some dog don't conform to breed standards and there are a lot of fat dogs out there. You'll want to take the dog in for a checkup after you get him anyway, and you might be required to get a rabies vaccination. Most of the vets in my town do this for free when you adopt from a local shelter, if you're lucky that may be the case for you as well. You'll want to be careful about his weight anyway, it's easy for dogs to get fat.

Also, not to jinx it, but don't be too heartbroken if you don't get him. You want a small young dog who is good with children and so does everyone else. It's a tough search.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

pookel posted:

Even in that photo you posted you can tell he's pretty chunky despite not being able to see much. I think there's a very good chance he seems over breed standard 'cause he's fattiefat. But I also wouldn't get too tied up in breed standards, especially when your potential dog is a mixed breed and whose previous owners may not exactly have been stellar dog owners.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure there's a vet checkup as part of the adoption process that's covered in the fees. I don't know how likely we are to get him, but I feel good about just meeting some dogs and having a better idea what I want. (I do like sweet little lap dogs, but I really enjoy somewhat bigger lap dogs, like the 25-30 lb range more than the toy dogs).

The shelter seems to be run pretty well. The application is 3 pages long and includes references, and they said they do call references including your current vet if you have any pets. So I feel good about the fact that if someone else gets him, they're probably a good family for him.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Lhasas always feel heavier than they look like they should. They're pretty solidly built. My first Lhasa was about 23 lbs but somehow picking him up felt like hauling boulders around. My parents have another one, a rescued puppy mill Lhasa, and he is both muscular as hell and a fatty at 26 lbs.

Also he is a giant baby who instigates rough housing but then gets scared and hides behind mommy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I once did something similar with my toy poodle.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Milo went to someone else, hopefully a loving family full of kids and other dogs who will spoil him rotten.

Guess I'm back to staring at the listings, trying to remind myself that I really don't NEED a 9-year-old blind Lhasa Apso no matter how sweet she is. Nor a cairn terrier who can and will climb chain-link fences to escape the yard. No matter how cute they are.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
When we were still together, my ex adopted a miniature pinscher randomly off Craigslist without telling me (which is one reason why he's an ex) and for something weighing less than a bowling ball, that minpin really grew on me. He was the furriest little escape artist and would convince Q-Ball to escape with him, and they'd go gallivanting off down the street together >_<

We figured out why he was given up... he was drinking so much water that he would pee on the floor randomly. We brought him to the vet (and by we, I mean I, because ex was pretty anti-vet >_< ) only to find out he was actually diabetic and had been suffering for at least two years. Once he got some insulin into him, the peeing stopped immediately and he turned into a whole new (more fun!) dog. Sadly, we (again, I) had to put him down after only one year because the diabetes spiralled out of control :(

tl;dr: 10/10 would get a minpin again (but not from Craigslist with no research).

Perfect lazy dog when you want to sit on the couch binge-watching Netflix all day, perfect energy dog for throwing a ball at for hours (and then coming back in to sprawl all over the couch and be even lazier).

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Back in April, my wife and I adopted a shelter dog. He's mostly Chihuahua, but I think he may have a touch of something else in him as well. The shelter estimated his age around 2.
He was picked up as a stray in California, and shipped up to Toronto to be adopted out. He's been such a sweet affectionate little guy, and very quiet too.

He's about 9 lbs, so he's bigger than most Chi's I've seen. He's also missing a couple of teeth, which leads to his tongue or snaggletooth always poking out.

We've named him Vinnie, and he's been a wonderful little dog. He loves to cuddle and wants nothing more than to sit in a lap and watch the world go by.
He also does his best to sprawl like a big dawg when he's sleeping.

His only issue so far has been trying to eat everything off the ground. Sticks, bugs, stones, grass clumps, pinecones, leaves, anything laying on the sidewalk is going to go in his mouth if he can manage. I have to be pretty eagle-eyed while walking him. He has lots of energy for a little guy, and has no trouble keeping up with me.
We love him lots and are glad he's got a new home. He's a super-loving little dude and will absolutely smother you with kisses if given the chance.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

This is Apollo, a MaltiPoo. He was abused by a previous owner as a youngster, and is now just old and decrepit. He's pretty chill and has never barked much, and does well with both young kids and the elderly. He does drool a lot these days, and so has a nasty little goatee..

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'll be getting a small dog tomorrow:

Mini foxie, male, 8 weeks old, as yet unnamed. I'll provide updates when I have them.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Oh hey, small dog thread.

This is Lola, my 5yr old JRT. She started training agility about April of last year. She has already done amazingly at shows - at the most recent last weekend, she scooped a 4th place against 30 dogs in grades 1-3 and a 2nd place in grade 1. I don't know if she'll ever win out in Kennel Club agility, as she is very much a slow and steady kinda dog (who occasionally drops bars... and dicks around at tunnel entrances...), but she's very close to moving up in UKA agility out of Beginners and into Novice for both performance and steeplechase programmes.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
dis Butler, he a fierce warrior

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
When I was 5, and my sisters were 3 and 1 respectively, my mom brought us home a dog.

It was a dark and rainy night when my mom and auntie arrived home with her. A cute, fluffy, black and white dog ran up the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Tartar" (who names anything this? :confused: ), was a 6 month old cockapoo who came with a bag of kibbles, and a plastic neon orange collar.

She was later renamed to Pepper and was the best dogge. We were so lucky to have her as our first family pet. She was gentle, super smart, and just so well natured. She was healthy and resilient (aside from some ear infections and cataracts when she was old.) She lived to 16. At least we think it was 16, I feel like after 16 we stopped counting the actual years..

Weight wise she was usually around 15-20 lbs.
Also, cockapoos are supposedly hypo-allergenic. Their fur sort of sheds off into little cotton balls you can just pick up, you won't have to worry about lint rolling your clothes or vacuuming all the time.

She looked similar to this:

RIP Pepper, you were the best dog.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Poms are great if you want a dog that will decide to abjectly hate you and be sassy.

My folks had two, they were super cute and pretty smart but they were very much into their person (not a big family dog) and could be really lovely about stuff. Not likely to hurt anyone if they bite, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't. They'll blow their coats and you need to be prepared to brush them everyday and get semi regular grooming appointments to prevent mats and other fun stuff from happening. Helps if you aren't the best at getting all the tangles out of their fur.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I have a pom, she's actually very tolerant and loves to meet people, thankfully. But very demanding at home.

She was supposed to be a show dog, but she didn't grow to full size. She's 1.8kg/4 pounds. Pretty great to have a dog you can lift in one hand.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm currently coveting these two fuzzy little mutts who are at a shelter a few hours' drive away:

One is bichon/terrier/something, the other is bichon/shih tzu/something, they are both about 7 years old, and they are lifetime bffs and the shelter will not allow them to be separated. They are housetrained and sweet and calm, and I have two kids who both love dogs, so I'm hoping each kid could bond more to one of the dogs.

It would be a couple months before I could get them, but just look at those sweet little faces.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I am attempting to adopt a Lhasa Apso from a shelter that's a few hours' drive from me. They responded to my application within hours and checked my references, and the next step is a home visit by, of all people, our former governor's daughter-in-law.

She - the dog, not the shelter lady - is black and white, four years old, spayed, housetrained, and comes with a restriction of "older/considerate kids only" which I assume means she's skittish or defensive around careless toddlers. My kids are 8 and 10 so I think that's OK. Maybe I shouldn't be planning ahead yet (before meeting her) but I'm thinking of naming her Princess Leia (and promoting her to General when she's older).

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

Cythereal posted:

As I've been told, the main issue with Poms is that they're actually much closer to one of the primitive breeds in temperament - huskies and the like, and most people who get a Pom only think "tiny adorable dog," not "unusually smart dog not inclined to give a gently caress about you or what you want unless you give it a good reason."

We currently have two Poms in residence here (not mine). One is an orange sable girl that is owned by my friend who recently moved here from Ukraine. She has been raised since 4 months old with a very sensible Mini Schnauzer and multiple other breeds, large and small (my friend was a show handler/groomer in Ukraine). She was never allowed to develop the typical "Toy personality" and is actually a smart, nice little dog. She does show the manipulative tendencies and some temperament similarities to the other primitive Spitz breeds. However, the second Pom is a 6 month old white male that was sent here with the idea of finishing his AKC Championship and then being sent back to his owner/breeder. This dog was raised only around other Poms, with no discipline or training. I can easily say he is the stupidest dog I have ever seen in my entire life, and is really a danger to himself. He seems to lack even any instinct to survive and fits very nicely into the "tiny, adorable, completely dependent on humans" temperament. In my crash course introduction to Poms, I would say that it is highly variable as to what you may end up wtih depending on the bloodlines and how they are raised. The orange one is from American/UK lines, and the white is from Thai lines. They are both very affectionate and people oriented though. I've also been told by multiple Pom breeders that color is a big factor in personality and temperament, with the orange and orange sables being smarter and easier to live with than any of the other colors.

SolanaSkyes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 10, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So, does anyone here have experience with Lhasa Apsos? Is it true that they "think they're big dogs" and like to be the boss? Any other advice?

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
Some cute af dogs in this thread.

Please enjoy images of Quark - my Morkie pup:

UpfrontSalmon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 11, 2016

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

You mean "high priced mutt," right? Cute, but a Morkie is not a breed.

quote:

So, does anyone here have experience with Lhasa Apsos? Is it true that they "think they're big dogs" and like to be the boss? Any other advice?

Yes, they're pretty much like that, and you need to be very careful of the lines you buy from, as temperament problems are a big issue with the breed.

SolanaSkyes fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 12, 2016

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

SolanaSkyes posted:

Cute, but a Morkie is not a breed.

I wasn't trying to imply otherwise

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

SolanaSkyes posted:

Are you questioning the legitimacy of my miniature soft-coated briard de tulear? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SolanaSkyes posted:

Yes, they're pretty much like that, and you need to be very careful of the lines you buy from, as temperament problems are a big issue with the breed.

Where did you get that hostility from? I liked the pictures for what it's worth.

• Locked thread