Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Designer mutts are a pet peeve of many dog people.

to apologise for that pun here is a picture of Butler

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I have a small dog too, he protects and herds poultry of many species.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Someone locally is trying to rehome their 4-month-old "shichonalier" puppy, which is a shih tzu/bichon/cavalier cross. Reason? Daughter got him for a Christmas present and just doesn't have enough time to spend with him.

The only hybrid name I can get behind is if you cross a bulldog and a shih tzu, you should get to call it a bullshit. (I once saw a video of someone's "bullshit," which looked like a very small, very derpy St. Bernard, something else I can get behind.)

In any case, yes the designer hybrids with their silly names are stupid, but I'll still jump at the chance to adopt one of those little dustmops if they turn up at the shelter and seem to have a sweet temperament. It's hard to find non-shedding lapdogs up here. It's all farm dogs, hunting dogs, and "I got this Australian shepherd puppy that was really cute but now he's tearing my stuff to shreds and I just don't have time for him." Oh, and pit bulls. Half the shelter dogs around here are pit bulls, and most of them have been there for a while. :(

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
+1 for mutts. I have a sweet baby aka pitbull mix named Scout who stopped growing and weighs 20 pounds.

She developed a love for sticks at a young age. This is when she was 9 weeks and weighed 6 pounds.

She also liked stuffed animals the same size as her.

And giant balls.

And giant dogs.

She quickly mastered the art of hearing but not listening.

She finds sticks everywhere.

Now she passed her CGC and is a certified Good Dog. Small dogs are the best.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I am finally getting just the kind of dustmop dog I wanted ... a 7-year-old bichon/maltese female who was listed for free in the local classifieds. She is unspayed (!) but then her owner is a farmer, so that's unsurprising. She looks clean and taken care of in the photos, I think. She has been an indoor dog and is housetrained. He says his sister moved away and he doesn't have time for the dog since he works out of the house plus on the farm. He says she loves kids and playing fetch and is very friendly, and I'm driving out there on Saturday to pick her up.

I asked my kids what we should name her and they were like "Mom, she's 7. She already has a name. You can't change her name." I guess I can't argue with that, unless her name is terrible.

So, what all am I going to need? Kennel, carrier, collar, leash, yard stake + long chain since I don't have a fence, dog food, treats, toys? Plus ASAP vet visit, of course.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I GOT MY MOP DOG. Not the one I thought I was getting in the last post - that guy flaked out. The one I applied for months ago.

Her name is Beauty and she is 4 years old. She came from a rescue and the foster person told me she is a Lhasa Apso. People keep asking me if she's a Shih Tzu. I googled the breeds and found that it's kind of hard to tell them apart. She is a bit standoffish but seems to have adopted me as her person in less than 24 hours.She's not especially playful and likes to keep a watchful eye on the door and on anyone who's eating and might drop crumbs. She's distrustful of children. She is a delicate little thing - probably 10 pounds or less. She's an excellent dog.

Anyone have any ideas on the Shih Tzu vs. Lhasa thing? I realize she could be some kind of cross, too. Pics:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
We rescued this little jerk last July. She had been dropped off at the Humane Society with a severely broken back leg that they couldn't save -- person dropping her off refused to give any information or identification beyond "I found her." Our vet's best guess is that she was being used as a breeder and either ended up dropped or stepped on. Adoption counselor told us that she was very submissive and hated going for walks. She's about 5 years old, about a month out from her amputation, and only 3.5lbs when we adopted her.

Now she's 5lbs, loves going for as long of walks as we're willing to give her, and has absolutely no fear of anything. We've got 5 cats, and everyone gets along about as well as expected. Cats adjusted pretty quickly -- we think it's because she's so much smaller than any of them. She occasionally gets in their faces and receives a smack on the head, but we occasionally catch her snuggling with one or two of them.

She's utterly indifferent to most people we meet -- she'll tolerate being petted by strangers, but would rather just continue on her walk. She wants to meet EVERY dog she sees, after which she ignores them. She's also become quite famous in our neighborhood -- people will yell "It's that 3-legged dog!" from their cars and porches.

Stella:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Stella sounds great. I love that pic of her snuggled up with the cat. :3:

Here's my Beauty (the kids didn't let me rename her) doing her "I'm a cat" bit with my boyfriend:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
My last dog was a Chihuahua/probably terrier (12 pounds was what the vet said was healthy for him, and he had a super high prey drive). Sweetest but most stubborn dog ever.

Unfortunately when we moved the woman who gave him to my husband agreed to watch him while we were moving and then grew reattached and refused to give him back. At least I can see him regularly.

Small dogs are awesome. I never liked em till I wound up with one, but after having one, they're great. The only thing that sucks, especially since Carlos had been 8 when I got him, is that people tolerate bad habits way more from little dogs than if a big dog tried pulling the same poo poo. It took the entire time I had him to break the worst of his habits. So people think little dogs are lovely.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This is Fiona and she is precious

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

AA is for Quitters posted:

Unfortunately when we moved the woman who gave him to my husband agreed to watch him while we were moving and then grew reattached and refused to give him back. At least I can see him regularly.

This is theft. If you want your dog back go get him.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
She was the original owner, still has the papers, since I didn't give a gently caress about whether or not such a shining example of a Chihuahua that even had the vet thinking he's part terrier was "purebred" with papers. I got him chipped in my name, but it's not worth the drama to take it to court and argue. I love the little furball, but I'd wound up with him when the original owner was in a bad situation and now that she's stable, I feel bad just taking the dog back.

So instead I just get to see him when I want, everybody's happy, and the dog is...back to being so spoiled it's picked up all its bad habits again. The fuzzbucket has someone taking good care of him, and there's plenty of other dogs in the shelter that need any loving home. Getting into a pissing match with someone who only gave him up cause she left her abusive ex and couldn't take the dog with her seems counterproductive. I'd rather put that money and effort into giving a dog that doesn't have anyone to love it a home.

There's a really cute rat terrier in there now that I just have to talk my husband into...Just the initial outlay on small guys is nuts. Sincethe shelter knows people want them they're never neutered by the shelter, never have their shots, and cost 3x what the pit mixes do.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

That's crazy... they adopt out dogs who are unfixed? Seems completely counter to the mission of reducing pet overpopulation.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Light Eternal posted:

That's crazy... they adopt out dogs who are unfixed? Seems completely counter to the mission of reducing pet overpopulation.
Around here they'll adopt out unfixed dogs but you have to agree to have them fixed. I don't know how enforceable that is.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

That's ridiculous. I have gotten into multiple arguments with people who want to breed their pets because they're "cute". I can't believe a rescue would risk causing more dogs to need their services to save $30 on a neuter surgery.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

The Light Eternal posted:

That's ridiculous. I have gotten into multiple arguments with people who want to breed their pets because they're "cute". I can't believe a rescue would risk causing more dogs to need their services to save $30 on a neuter surgery.

There are some adverse health effects associated with pediatric spays & neuters. It's not a bad idea if people actually follow through or abstain from breeding (intentionally or accidentally) but... I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in that.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

pookel posted:

Around here they'll adopt out unfixed dogs but you have to agree to have them fixed. I don't know how enforceable that is.

Yeah. Small dogs have a higher demand, so they know they can get the future owner to foot the bill.

Vet priorities at the humane society are usually the ugliest dogs first to give them the most chance of being adopted. The better looking the dog the more you'll pay. An owner surrendered, housebroken, spayed small dog goes for as much at the humane society as pet store pups. (500).

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

AA is for Quitters posted:

Yeah. Small dogs have a higher demand, so they know they can get the future owner to foot the bill.

Vet priorities at the humane society are usually the ugliest dogs first to give them the most chance of being adopted. The better looking the dog the more you'll pay. An owner surrendered, housebroken, spayed small dog goes for as much at the humane society as pet store pups. (500).
Around here the shelters charge flat rates - it's just that the cute little dogs get snatched up ASAP. Although you never know - I spent $180 to adopt a cute, owner surrendered, housebroken, spayed Lhasa Apso (or Shih Tzu, who can tell the difference anyway) from a town three hours away. Other potential adopters hadn't gotten around to filling out paperwork, her foster person's parents lived in my town, and he just brought her along when he visited them. We adopted her the same day we met her.

I still don't know why no one else had already scooped her up. She is the best dog ever.

Evidence:

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

a life less posted:

There are some adverse health effects associated with pediatric spays & neuters. It's not a bad idea if people actually follow through or abstain from breeding (intentionally or accidentally) but... I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in that.

I waited to spay my puppy until she was 5.5 months old for that reason but I'm not a shithead who sees my dog as a way to make a quick buck.

I just don't see how a shelter can trust people to follow through. I adopted my puppy from a private rescue and in addition to being thoroughly vetted, I had to sign a contract promising to get her spayed. Shelters generally let nearly anyone take a dog.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We just adopted our first dog, having finally moved into a place that allows them. We somehow hit the jackpot from a local shelter, a little 3-year-old chihuahua-dachshund mix. He's ferocious beyond his weight, yet lets strangers get within sniffing distance of his barking, smells them, then immediately loves them. He's been here a week and he latched on to my wife within about 2 hours. Sure, he'll go hang out with me, but if he thinks she's in a room without him he'll scratch and whine at the door.

And when he wants to get cozy, he gets under the covers. I've never, ever seen this before, and it's amazing. Every night he's slept in our bed under the covers, and when we're in the living room or watching TV, he'll get in his own puppy bed or even on the couch and pull a blanket over himself.

And we named him Pit Pat, because take it from him, he loves you. I've had cats before but I never knew I could love a dog this much this fast :3:

(sorry for the post-instagram-filtered blurriness)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

My tinydog is now grade 2 in agility at Kennel Club and Novice at agility in UKA. Not all little dogs are dumb or dull :3:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This is Sherlock, our mini dachshund we got from a shelter a little over a year ago. We think he's around 7 years old.

He’s made a lot of progress like being housetrained and getting a lot more relaxed in the home when we have visitors. He still has a few large issues, though. One is he hates other dogs. If they are his size if they approach him he gets aggressive and snaps at them; if they are larger than him he will bolt. It's hard to integrate him into being around other dogs when these are his only two reactions.

The other is that he makes walking an absolute chore. It’s so strange, when we get the leash he barks and jumps excitedly at the door but when we get out there he doesn’t want to leave eyesight of the house. He becomes very jumpy and we have to tug & prod him every step of the way to get him to go farther than 100 feet from the driveway. This is becoming an issue because he’s gaining weight but it’s hard to exercise him if he doesn’t want to go for walks. Any suggestions?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
It's been a while since I've posted pictures of my little monster. Usually I post in the puppy/dog owner thread but it fits here too:

This was taken a few months ago when we went camping.

She was not as big of a fan of the lake as we had hoped, though she was only 9 months old or so at the time and the waves/water scared her a bunch. Hoping that this summer might be better, as we were at the park the other day and she ran into the river without hesitation.

That being said, on Saturday we are bringing home this guy. Meet Tucker! He's a six - almost - seven month old JRT.

The breeder we got Rhea from bought him so they could retire their current sire (Rhea's dad) to a life of luxury. Unfortunately, Rhea's dad HATES this idea, and bullied the hell out of him. So they decided instead of rolling the dice and seeing how long it took before things calmed down, they would rehome him to someone they knew. I got the message at 1AM this morning that they would let us come get him on Saturday morning. :3:

We didn't want to find out he had gone to a shelter, and we're hoping having a second JRT will give Rhea someone to play with. Right now she's terrorizing my cats who want nothing to do with her, and she gets sad when we go to the dog park and she has to play in the small dog area (because there's never any small dogs there).

Though, having a second JRT might be insanity...

PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

I have 2 JRT's and it's been nothing but fun.

Both didn't really care for water until they were 2ish but now they go crazy if I just move the canoe around in the garage, let alone take them out on the water.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

look at this cute jerk

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

he's beautiful

he looks kinda like a mix between my childhood dogs, a foxy and a jack russell. they were great dogs.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

here a dog that is small:

a trolley posted:

he's beautiful

he looks kinda like a mix between my childhood dogs, a foxy and a jack russell. they were great dogs.

thank you, afaik he is all mini foxy and yeah, they're pretty great.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
tbk has butler slain a vermin yet

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

pretty sure he got a myna bird yesterday

it may have already been dead

not exactly vermin, but it shows willing

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
excellent news :getin:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Back in March, I happened to be at my brother's house on the other side of the country when his pom gave birth to six puppies (3 boys, 3 girls, two of the boys didn't survive):

Three months later, I flew out and picked up one of the girls, named her Lucy, and brought her home:

Now, she's this doofus:

(From all the horror stories I've read about poms, she's actually been pretty great. Never really chews on anything she's not supposed to, hardly barks unless I'm in the process of putting food in her bowl and she really wants me to hurry the gently caress up, etc.)

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Here's my dog pawpaw! she's nearly 2 and small!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

ZombieJesus posted:

Here's my dog pawpaw! she's nearly 2 and small!

lmao that is an awesome dog, does she look like she's tweaking all the time? (and yet so soft and curly!)

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
You mean like how chihuahuas are always shaking? Nah pawpaw is super chill, sleeps like 18 hrs a day, loves people, really social. Got lucky, the poodle blood mellowed out the chihuahua bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i love her :3:

this is the best photo i've ever taken of vanya and sums him up perfectly (mysterious mouse wizard)

• Locked thread