Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
The wastes seem insane mostly because how would that work at a prerelease; you can add as many wastes as you want in deckbuilding? or no, and you have to specifically draft Wastes, and they have the bonus of being fetchable with Evolving Wilds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Why would lands produce Z instead of the traditional "1"? Or is that just the new colorless going forward, like Ancient Tomb would produce ZZ?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Then, without a type, by what mechanic does Wastes mane ♦?

Sigma-X posted:

I actually know a guy who knows a guy kind of deal but the manufacturer+distro is like 2 months prior to the launch even when padding, so having printed material this early seems unlikely except for the purposes of marketing. I'm not sure when this set is supposed to come out off the top of my head.

quote:

Prerelease EventsJanuary 16–17, 2016

This is skirting the edge of possibility in so many ways it's wanting to make me believe it's real because it's so implausible they'd make things that are so slightly off in so many ways.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

The wastes seem insane mostly because how would that work at a prerelease; you can add as many wastes as you want in deckbuilding? or no, and you have to specifically draft Wastes, and they have the bonus of being fetchable with Evolving Wilds?

Pre-releases have special pre-release materials, remember? Your little "commemorative deck box" paper piece of poo poo with a sticker holding it together has room for 6 packs plus a pack of SPECIAL PRE-RELEASE WASTES and a D20 in 7 different color(less)s

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm surprised no one is making a big deal about waste lands being printed in standard again.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Pre-releases have special pre-release materials, remember? Your little "commemorative deck box" paper piece of poo poo with a sticker holding it together has room for 6 packs plus a pack of SPECIAL PRE-RELEASE WASTES and a D20 in 7 different color(less)s

True, but what about regular draft? What about modo prerelease? Maybe every Oath pack will have a waste instead of a regular basic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

I'm surprised no one is making a big deal about waste lands being printed in standard again.

It's not on the reserved list.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ramos posted:

Is there a MaRo tumblr about Waste Land reprints where he is coy? that would pretty much seal these as real

Terrible Horse posted:

True, but what about regular draft? What about modo prerelease? Maybe every Oath pack will have a waste instead of a regular basic.

The Land Stations that they sell to stores will have Wastes and adding Wastes to modo is just adding another basic land to the "add basics" button.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I actually dig the Mirrorpool and Kozilek cards, thd Kozilek is cool as gently caress and like hell yes I want a land that does an imitation of Riku.

Ramos posted:

Bravo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Terrible Horse posted:

That's my thinking. People have access to thousands of the other basic types. Now you're releasing a new land type, with (presumably playable) cards who want to use this, how can be make sure everyone gets enough of this land?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

Why would lands produce Z instead of the traditional "1"? Or is that just the new colorless going forward, like Ancient Tomb would produce ZZ?

I'm ok with this if it means a swanky new tron printing where tower makes three diamonds

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

I actually dig the Mirrorpool and Kozilek cards, thd Kozilek is cool as gently caress and like hell yes I want a land that does an imitation of Riku.

Bravo.

Kozilek proves it's fake. They don't print colorless counterspells.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

suicidesteve posted:

Null brooch?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

and adding Wastes to modo is just adding another basic land to the "add basics" button.

So basically they'll break MODO because somehow, somehow, the add basics button only accounted for five options.

suicidesteve posted:

Check your facts. :smug:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

suicidesteve posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=not+of+this+world

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5176

:smuggo:

e fb

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Is there a MaRo tumblr about Waste Land reprints where he is coy? that would pretty much seal these as real

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
They print colorless counters all the time, and at 10+ mana mythic they'll print pretty much anything. Emrakul timewalked

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The one they would create to make the card work, similar to the ones they make so that all the new cards work once they print them.

That's if this is in any way true, and I'm still lolling at Kozi having menace and then looking Pathrazer.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

suicidesteve posted:

Oh nooooo my totally serious post has been owned so hard.

You also forgot Mental Misstep which is the most glaring example of colorless counters.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

The same mechanic by which Bestowed Auras can't fizzle, I guess. Just a thing in the rules that says it does. I know people that were really annoyed about Bestow just having a weird clause that doesn't appear on any card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Not of This World is a very real card.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The small set thing is the biggest reason why I don't think those are legit.

Although, and I made the same point on Tumblr, both BFZ and Oath aren't exactly paragons of complete design so who knows?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Are you people seriously holding up an Exodus rare as an example of what they'd do today?

Exodus also had both halves of RecSur, Sphere of Resistance, and Ravenous Baboons.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Allstone posted:

The same mechanic by which Bestowed Auras can't fizzle, I guess. Just a thing in the rules that says it does. I know people that were really annoyed about Bestow just having a weird clause that doesn't appear on any card.
Tbf compared to how bestow works I'm not sure how many people know the mechanics behind how basics work, so it'd be an easy switch from what we have to "all basic lands that don't have a basic land subtype produce {D}"

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Weren't some of legends for Dragons Maze leaked super early?

And really looks like what is going on on the bottom of Skitterskin.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That fake RW manland from a few weeks back used art from a promo video, so it's not impossible for them to have found some somewhere.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Look at this colorless Eldrazi Counterspell:
http://magiccards.info/roe/en/8.html

efb so hard

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

That fake RW manland from a few weeks back used art from a promo video, so it's not impossible for them to have found some somewhere.

Can anyone find this art anywhere? It does look like the style of the listed artist, so it shouldn't be too difficult if it's already out there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ramos posted:

Fuuuuuck, I even thought about that when I first saw the card.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Allstone posted:

Can anyone find this art anywhere? It does look like the style of the listed artist, so it shouldn't be too difficult if it's already out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTOBIGYV-Y

19 seconds in.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bugsy posted:

Weren't some of legends for Dragons Maze leaked super early?

And

really looks like what is going on on the bottom of Skitterskin.

I was sure it was fake because if they were going to make something completely game changing like new mana symbols, they would have put it in the large fall set, not just the small spring set. But the thing Skitterskin is standing on does look like the weird Bismuth thing that the Wastes is portraying, so I don't even know what's going on.

Bismuth is sweet though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bugsy posted:

really looks like what is going on on the bottom of Skitterskin.

I do kinda like the idea of bismuth crystals as a basic land, if we're really doing the 6th basic land thing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Time Warp, Vindicate, and Opportunity aren't "colorless" either but it turns out that when you massively overpay for them, any effect is colorless. Fake Kozilek's ability might not cost mana to activate but it sure as hell costs enough mana to set up that at that point you ought to be entitled to Disrupting Shoal poo poo without an additional mana cost.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

I was sure it was fake because if they were going to make something completely game changing like new mana symbols, they would have put it in the large fall set, not just the small spring set. But the thing Skitterskin is standing on does look like the weird Bismuth thing that the Wastes is portraying, so I don't even know what's going on.

Bismuth is sweet though.

Something, something, bismuth elemental.

I'm just looking for an excuse to post lovely anime art to freak someone out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Allstone posted:

That, though, is based on Bestow.

Wastes producing ♦ is based on nothing. There isn't a mechanic providing it with the ability to make mana, and to make it able to produce ♦ means changing what happens when rules aren't there.

Which is weird as heck.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Rmember that small sets are now basically medium sized and provide two packs instead of just one for drafting. It should be much easier for them to introduce new mechanics than before.

That doesn't mean these cards are real, but Oathwatch being a "small" set isn't great evidence against their authenticity.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Anyway, the real reason it's fake is because I have it on good authority that Kozilek's actual rules text will be "im gay." Don't worry, there will be a comp rules update to define what "im gay" means in the context of Magic: the Gathering.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

That, though, is based on Bestow.

Wastes producing ♦ is based on nothing. There isn't a mechanic providing it with the ability to make mana, and to make it able to produce ♦ means changing what happens when rules aren't there.

Which is weird as heck.

I started playing again at last Zendikar and since then theres been like 3 or 4 things where everyone was like "what, this doesn't work, it breaks the rules of the game, etc" and they all seem normal after like 2 games with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Think of all the new fetch lands we'll need though.

• Locked thread