Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why does Mirrorpool "T:♦" specifically if ♦ is just "pay me with colorless!"

It may just be the same as "Tap for 1" or it's like Snow mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Maybe it's pay for any kind of mana of a colorless spell, which would solve devoid issues.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Because you can't pay that mana with a swamp or forest or island. You can pay for it with the colorless mana from a painland. They want colorless to have some sort of identity, rather than "hey any color can be used for this."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

♦ may be a new symbol that means "colorless."

So, older lands might get errata'd to have "T: ♦"

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Seems like a waste of an opportunity for a sixth mana type if it's strictly Eldrazi based. From a design perspective you wouldn't be able to do much with it for non-eldrazi sets, and overall the pool would just be too small for it to do much elsewhere- just like snow mana.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Some Numbers posted:

Thran Dynamo: Tap to add ♦♦♦ to your mana pool.

Actually, that's one of the better counterarguments I can think of for this being introduced now. Having the basic land only in small set is one thing, but it would seem really weird for the nomenclature about adding colorless to change in mid-block. If this is a new thing being introduced by the Eldrazi, then why do, like, the Blighted lands not produce ♦?

deftest
May 7, 2011

EatinCake posted:

Seems like a waste of an opportunity for a sixth mana type if it's strictly Eldrazi based. From a design perspective you wouldn't be able to do much with it for non-eldrazi sets, and overall the pool would just be too small for it to do much elsewhere- just like snow mana.

But with every other set being a "return", there'll be plenty of more design exploration in eldrazi land

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

JerryLee posted:

Thran Dynamo: Tap to add ♦♦♦ to your mana pool.

Actually, that's one of the better counterarguments I can think of for this being introduced now. Having the basic land only in small set is one thing, but it would seem really weird for the nomenclature about adding colorless to change in mid-block. If this is a new thing being introduced by the Eldrazi, then why do, like, the Blighted lands not produce ♦?
It could just be reminder text thing to help people understand what the hell D means in costs in the set.

Overall, we don't know. Everything made a lot more sense before Mirrorpool was spoiled, the D mana being produced just made things whack.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I don't really see why they would make a card that specifically produces "Diamond" mana especially if the "diamond" mana is colorless. You already have basic lands that do that so it seems redundant.

However, R&D seems stupid enough to make the "diamond" it's own mana source which can only be paid by using Waste lands and they end up not producing colorless.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Numbers posted:

This isn't the kind of sweeping change they make in a small set to support at most two-dozen cards.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Because you can't pay that mana with a swamp or forest or island. You can pay for it with the colorless mana from a painland. They want colorless to have some sort of identity, rather than "hey any color can be used for this."

So why does a land produce ♦ if ♦ is just a condition that R doesn't work but {1} does? Has a land ever produced "spend only black mana on X"?

bhsman posted:

It may just be the same as "Tap for 1" or it's like Snow mana.

This is the second least nonsensical answer.

(The most sensible is "they're fake.")

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

This isn't the kind of sweeping change they make in a small set to support at most two-dozen cards.

I agree with you, I'm just trying to make sense of this nonsense.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The 'bismuth-ification" is also on Kozilek's Sentinel as well.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Fun facts about colorless mana: the highest amount of colorless mana explicitly produced by a card is {4} (Rosheen Meanderer, Scorched Ruins, and Su-Chi) and the highest amount of colorless mana that exists in an ability cost is 20 (Spawnsire of Ulamog), but there are none from 11-19.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Wizards is creating these for Commander support. They have finally realized the one true format.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Also keep in mind that none of the fetchlands can find ♦, you'd need to play things like Evolving Wilds or Pilgrim's Eye to find a Wastes in Standard. They'd need to be incredibly highly powered cards to be worth running.

In Limited, you'd have only half support for a ♦/x archetype in the BFZ pack. You'd be drafting two colors for the first two packs, and only one color in the last pack. You could just say that the whole mechanic is meant to be splashed, but that just seems really bad for (I assume) a major mechanic in Oath and would again need to be really powerful to be worth doing.

It just seems far too parasitic to be worthwhile.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Interestingly:

"Wastes" is mostly plural. All other basic lands are singular. (Though, I suppose "the wastes" is arguable)

Also, it's a basic land.. but it has no basic land type? Strange

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Not gonna lie, even though these cards are probably fake, the artwork is going to be awesome whatever cards it ends up being on

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Basic lands have a "L" next to the collector number, they are not commons.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Basic lands have a "L" next to the collector number, they are not commons.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=121130

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I think he means on the new frame.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Since the M15 frame change. Mythics didn't have an M next to the number before then either.

E: Oreskos Swiftclaw was in the last 8th ed. frame set and in the first current frame set.

It has a C next to the collector's number in the M15 printing that isn't in JOU.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 18, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Since the M15 frame change. Mythics didn't have an M next to the number before then either.
Then maybe this is a common? Who knows, they haven't printed alternative basics since then.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Well, what I was observing was that their rarity was listed as Common. I didn't play during Coldsnap, but is that correct or is Gatherer lying?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, what I was observing was that their rarity was listed as Common. I didn't play during Coldsnap, but is that correct or is Gatherer lying?

you had to draft snow lands but I don't remember whether there was guaranteed 1 per pack

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Myriad Truths posted:

Snow-covered basics had the land rarity in Ice Age, but common rarity in Coldsnap. Basic lands are now the only lands that have the rarity "land".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So this could be the reason they're giving packs of full art basics in each prerelease box, right?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I feel curmudgeony just looking at those cards and don't want them to be real.

Maybe it's time to take a break if I'm getting cranky about cardboard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Well, it makes sense from an overall game perspective to split the idea of colorless and generic mana, though it's a pretty big visual change for such a small change to comprehension of cards. It seems like one of those "If we could start magic over" ideas rather than a thing that they could actually change now.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
This is probably a function of compressing sets 2 & 3 into one set. Sure, this is definitely "big fall set" worthy, but they're completely redesigning what mechanics fit in the set paradigm now that it's being restructured. To me this seems like something that would have been splashy in the "Big 3rd Set" similar to Rise of the Eldrazi, but they spent so much time working on it, they shoved it into the small set.

Plus the draft set being OGW/OGW/BFZ lends credibility.

But yeah, it's weird. And I think "weird" is exactly how they're trying to make the Eldrazi feel.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I don't really see why they would make a card that specifically produces "Diamond" mana especially if the "diamond" mana is colorless. You already have basic lands that do that so it seems redundant.

However, R&D seems stupid enough to make the "diamond" it's own mana source which can only be paid by using Waste lands and they end up not producing colorless.

It makes a lot of sense if they want to print cards that specifically require colorless for part of the casting cost. A card with diamond in the cost means you can't use a forest for that diamond cost, you have to have some way of producing a colorless mana to pay the diamond cost.

It makes sense here because colorless is a thing with eldrazi but colorless is a problem for the color pie. In BFZ they used devoid to get around the color pie problem, maybe in oath they give you ways to create colorless mana and cards where you must use colorless mana. Its still a color pie problem, but you'd have to weaken your mana base to gain access to this.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 18, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Looking at the art, it seems that the wastes are somehow tied to kozilek plot wise, so the big mechanical change halfway through the block could be meant to reinforce some big plot change that is happening alongside them.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Also keep in mind that none of the fetchlands can find ♦, you'd need to play things like Evolving Wilds or Pilgrim's Eye to find a Wastes in Standard. They'd need to be incredibly highly powered cards to be worth running.

In Limited, you'd have only half support for a ♦/x archetype in the BFZ pack. You'd be drafting two colors for the first two packs, and only one color in the last pack. You could just say that the whole mechanic is meant to be splashed, but that just seems really bad for (I assume) a major mechanic in Oath and would again need to be really powerful to be worth doing.

It just seems far too parasitic to be worthwhile.

I doubt diamond costs require waste, it probably just needs to be colorless mana. Something like a diamond symbol is needed to say that part of the cost MUST be colorless, {1} doesn't work, and it might be a good way to help new players on the waste land since they want full art land without text explaining that it produces colorless, and this will help them understand they can't use an island to pay diamond.

Also, it makes those crappy colorless lands in BFZ with colored spell effects be a little better.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The more "evidence" people present as the Eldrazi mana being fake, the more I think that they're real.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If this is real, I really hope they use it well. I don't want another Snow Mana.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

BJPaskoff posted:

The more "evidence" people present as the Eldrazi mana being fake, the more I think that they're real.

The most compelling evidence is that this art didn't exist on the internet until today, and the bismuth hints attached to kozilek.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Chamale posted:

If this is real, I really hope they use it well. I don't want another Snow Mana.

I could see them using this "mechanic" in future sets, could even be evergreen. Its general enough that it doesn't have to be a Kozilek thing, and it might solve a problem with artifacts. Artifacts have color pie issues, but if you can require colorless, then you can make stronger pie-infringing artifacts since you'd have to weaken your mana base to gain access to it.

It would be a very big change in the rules if this becomes an every-set thing, but players can learn it, its intuitive, and seems to solve a long-standing problem.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They look good (templating checks out) and the proposed errata-ing or colorless to ♦ is something I can see maybe happening but I'll stay skeptical until I see something official.

If this is a thing I'm gonna be disappointed when they use "requires colorless mana" as an Eldrazi thing and then never use it anywhere ever again.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Because they need to differentiate generic mana costs from colourless only mana costs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kozilek has been busy loving off in ~THE VOID~ or something, so it makes sense that his return would bring a whole lot of hosed up poo poo with it.

That, along with the new art for Kozilek being new while also completely matching the style of the artist it's being credited toward and the general flavor of the bismuth thing associated with Kozilek, it's either real or a fake made by somebody close to WotC who is probably losing their job as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
However they're making diamond mana work I hate it so far. But I hated the idea of double-faced-cards when they were first spoiled and they turned out to be fine, so :shrug:

• Locked thread