Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Brownhat posted:

It lists every scheduled FNM location, searchable by format. I'm genuinely curious about attendance numbers vs. locations running each format. Just because you can't answer the question doesn't mean you have to lower yourself to name calling.

Okay idiot, let me enlighten you. For one, the only events in the event coordinator are events that stores decided to schedule ahead of time and thought to place it in the coordinator. At the FNM level, it serves the same purpose as writing the formats you play at your store on a white board. The event coordinator servers no other purpose than to advertise things. Since you can basically schedule FNM events or other weekly events indefinitely, some stores don't even update what is in the event coordinator very often. Some stores might have only set it up once. It serves little to no purpose to figure out what is popular in your area. Its a basic advertisement system that is mildly ignored these days. I am sure events fire all the time that aren't advertised in the EC.

If you would have read my post, you would have seen what I wrote about WOTC being the only ones with exact numbers. No single person or organization outside of WOTC is going to be able to give you attendance numbers for certain for an entire region. Store owners may be able to generate their personal numbers. As a player in my area, all I can tell you is what I experience at playing at various stores and actively talking with players on facebook that play at stores I don't frequent often. Modern was clearly the small winner in attendance numbers in the big stores and mostly the only event that fired at most of the small stores. Small stores were sometimes only firing modern events and not firing standard at all. Does that mean modern is the more popular format in my area? Most likely.

Maybe calling you an idiot is a bit extreme. I just haven't seen something so dumb as to try to argue a point with something as insignificant as the event coordinator.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Red mages should be able to spend some amount of R to 'push' a spell through, meaning it become uncounterable or an opponent has to pay more mana ... Something like that!

yeah like Vexing Shusher, I think that was a perfect card for red to have access too

a one mana red cantrip with "the next spell you play can't be countered" would be a perfect little niche card to have around i think, and it opens up design space for red spells that isn't just "do 3 damage to player or creature"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The will to push through any opposition is also very red, and would totally fit into "can't be countered"

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Isn't that already in reds design? They have quite a few X spells where if you put enough into X it can't be countered. I'd definitely like more of that. Or make more of their cards 'split second' ish.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Soul Glo posted:

What're you running in yours? I'm making a u/colorless Standard Eldrazi and it's just 4 of's Prophet of Distortion, Mimic, Cultivator Drone, Endless One, TKS, Reality Smasher and 3 Drowner of Hopes with 4 of's Slip Through Space and Negate for defense with 25 lands. I haven't played it yet since I'm still waiting on cards to come in the mail, but I'm hoping it's just a fun, slower version of the Atlanta PT stuff.

It's basically a slower version of the PT deck with Herald of Kozilek and Painful Truths and a few shrines and sea gate wreckage for card draw. It's pretty fun.

2 mimics
3 matter reshapers
4 heralds
4 thought knots
4 reality smashers
3 drowners
4 sky spawners
4 vile aggregates
3 oblivion sowers
3 painful truth
3 spatial contortion
4 polluted delta
4 bloodstained mire
4 Shivan reef
2 island
2 mountain
1 smoldering marsh
1 sunken hollow
2 sea gate wreckage
3 shrine of the forsaken gods

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

There's plenty of flavorful ways to counter magic in other colors that aren't blue.

Guttural Response comes to mind. How more red/green can interrupting magic be by shouting really loudly at the person casting it?

Long as we're talking flavor counterspells, I want one that's countering your opponent's spell by punching them in the face as they're thinking of it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I like how people keep bringing up these cool cards that "should exist" that actually do exist already.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Long as we're talking flavor counterspells, I want one that's countering your opponent's spell by punching them in the face as they're thinking of it

As long as the face getting punched is Jace's.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I love flavorful mtg cards but I'm talking about more mechanically interesting counterspells than just "this can't be countered" or something as blunt as "counter target blue instant". Here are some examples:

Punch in the Face RR
Instant
Counter target spell if its controller was dealt damage this turn

It Was Snakes the Whole Time 1G
Instant
Counter target creature spell. Its controller puts X 1/1 green Snake creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is that creature's power

Classist Overtones 2W
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is the difference in life totals between you and that player.

Black Counterspell XB
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays X. You lose X life.

Some of these are probably too strong or weak but they are all new takes on counterspells that are narrow but not too much so, and make sense mechanically if you take away the idea that only blue gets counterspells ever.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 14, 2016

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Lets Pickle posted:

I love flavorful mtg cards but I'm talking about more mechanically interesting counterspells than just "this can't be countered" or something as blunt as "counter target blue instant". Here are some examples:

The white one's wording seems like a black card. I love the red one. The counters that let the spell's controller draw cards always felt like white cards to me.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

suicidesteve posted:

I like how people keep bringing up these cool cards that "should exist" that actually do exist already.

Like Warping Wail, for instance.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lets Pickle posted:

I'd really like to see them put some kind of counterspell into a nonblue color. I'm sure it would be conditional and weak as gently caress but it would lead to many more interesting interactions. I could easily think of counterspells that fit into each other color mechanically if not for the dumb idea that "only blue gets counterspells"

I think it's funny when Maro gets salty over color pie violations, especially in green. Green sucked so hard for so long , where pretty much the only good green constructed card for the longest time was Birds of Paradise or some variant thereof. If he's going to be mad about Beast Within he should keep in mind that it was only the second best green removal spell printed in that set.

They've done it several times, the conditions are generally such that they're not worth playing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I've never wanted a card more than it was snakes the whole time!

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Red begs for a counterspell that overloads another dude's spell with mana and blows it up in his face for damage.

White's counterspell as a seal, an enchantment with flash that imprints the countered spell and continues to counter any other spells of that name while in play.

Green's counterspell grounds the mana spent on the spell and lets the caster who was countered untap that many lands (the card goes on to be worth 50c for five seasons and then it's incorporated in some insane self-targeting capacity and gets banned immediately)

And of course black just gets cancel except you also lose two life, duh.

EDIT: Black pushes the spell back into the caster's head, which forces him to discard a card from hand at random.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 14, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Brownhat posted:

It lists every scheduled FNM location, searchable by format. I'm genuinely curious about attendance numbers vs. locations running each format. Just because you can't answer the question doesn't mean you have to lower yourself to name calling.

You can't get that info because WOTC isn't about to tell you if standard is less popular than modern.

As additional anecdotal evidence my store can't fire a standard FNM. They do standard on thursdays and get 5-10, modern FNM fires every week for 10-20 people. It is simply because you build a deck once and your good more or less. Even the local college kids build a modern deck and don't bother with standard. Our store tried different things regarding FNM, rotating formats etc. but everyone was unhappy. Either a bunch of people show up to play modern and whatever is scheduled got changed, which lead to people showing up for other formats upset, or the store would insist and 5 people who really wanted to play 2hg sealed or whatever the gently caress would get salty watching 12 people stand around with modern decks. We just do modern then draft every friday because that is what people want to play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It appears Matt Sperling has been exploiting hallowed moonlight bug when dealing with jace in the Mocs. Todd Anderson went to twitter to call him out for cheating.

Its an irony-polooza.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Eikre posted:

Red begs for a counterspell that overloads another dude's spell with mana and blows it up in his face for damage.
Right In Your Big Dumb Face RRR
Instant
Counter target spell. Then, ~ deals damage to the spell's controller equal to its converted mana cost. Cast ~ only if an opponent has 3 or more tapped lands.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Lightning Bolt is the best counterspell because it stops all the spells your opponent would've cast if you hadn't burned them out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they could maybe stand to break up some areas of design space. For instance giving white Mana Tithe effects (but keeping blue's monopoly on hard-counters) could be cool.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Brownhat posted:

The counters that let the spell's controller draw cards always felt like white cards to me.
Sorry I countered your spell, here's some cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think they could maybe stand to break up some areas of design space. For instance giving white Mana Tithe effects (but keeping blue's monopoly on hard-counters) could be cool.

I think they've gone the Thalia route for this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

It appears Matt Sperling has been exploiting hallowed moonlight bug when dealing with jace in the Mocs. Todd Anderson went to twitter to call him out for cheating.

Its an irony-polooza.

Who is Matt Sperling and why should I dislike him again

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's Sick Of It. And because he's the ultimate sperg in a game full of them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

He is the guy who wrote ethics in magic the gathering.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-mtg-ethicist-pithing-needle-and-concession-expectation/

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

He's Sick Of It. And because he's the ultimate sperg in a game full of them.

And is the cheat that Jace is considered a creature by Modo as it comes back into play as a walker, so Hallowed Moonlight eats it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

And is the cheat that Jace is considered a creature by Modo as it comes back into play as a walker, so Hallowed Moonlight eats it?

Yep. Its been around for a bit.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Mikujin posted:

Right In Your Big Dumb Face RRR
Instant
Counter target spell. Then, ~ deals damage to the spell's controller equal to its converted mana cost. Cast ~ only if an opponent has 3 or more tapped lands.

"Big dumb face" was actually the very diction I was thinking, obviously this has legs, call creative and get their chandracard flavorsmiths on the job!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

And also get a form of Redirect that bounces a spell off you or permanents you control and hits your opponent(')s.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Yep. Its been around for a bit.

Hah, what a piece of poo poo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TheKingofSprings posted:

He wrote an extremely bad article about the Zach Jesse Problem™ that outed him as a contemptible shitbag.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 14, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hah, what a piece of poo poo.

I like how this encompasses both Sperling and the MODO client.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Sperling can be funny at times, but nearly everything he does that isn't satire makes me want to punch him

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Which pros didn't argue that banning Zach Jesse was some sort of tragedy? LSV and...?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Lets Pickle posted:

I'd really like to see them put some kind of counterspell into a nonblue color. I'm sure it would be conditional and weak as gently caress but it would lead to many more interesting interactions. I could easily think of counterspells that fit into each other color mechanically if not for the dumb idea that "only blue gets counterspells"

I think it's funny when Maro gets salty over color pie violations, especially in green. Green sucked so hard for so long , where pretty much the only good green constructed card for the longest time was Birds of Paradise or some variant thereof. If he's going to be mad about Beast Within he should keep in mind that it was only the second best green removal spell printed in that set.

maro has said that the reason more colors don't have counterspells is that players don't like playing (edit)against them. like, i know there's a little more to it than that, but it's really weird that they don't just give blue more/better tempo tools to replace counterspells and make weak/conditional counterspells something more colors can do, rather than allowing a deck style that turns fun into a zero-sum game exist in every standard.

Death Bot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 14, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Which pros didn't argue that banning Zach Jesse was some sort of tragedy? LSV and...?

I wanna say Kibler? There were like 1 or 2 others I think. There were way too many goons arguing that he shouldn't have banned too.

Edit: A quick check on Twitter shows that Bob Huang was apparently wearing a #letzachplay shirt at eternal weekend. I'm shocked. And I can't find anyone that supported WotC but I don't care enough to really look.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 14, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I downloaded Magic Online and have joined a Phantom Swiss event for newcomers but I've been disconnected no less than eight times in an hour. Is this thing just completely pointless or am I missing some stupid option that comes on at default that breaks it?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Soul Glo posted:

Is this thing just completely pointless

Yes, that is a good description of MtGO.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Have fun w/ this pile I've begun testing. It's budget as gently caress at the moment on the sideboard - there should be Primal Commands (Instead of at least the 3rd Sarkhan), and probably some other stuff I haven't decided on yet. A second Doubling Season or a Kiora, Master of Depths are the next things I'm looking to test in it.

As for why you should play it.

Here's me getting ready to attack for 168 on turn 5.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 14, 2016

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I wanna say Kibler? There were like 1 or 2 others I think. There were way too many goons arguing that he shouldn't have banned too.

Edit: A quick check on Twitter shows that Bob Huang was apparently wearing a #letzachplay shirt at eternal weekend. I'm shocked. And I can't find anyone that supported WotC but I don't care enough to really look.

I chewed out a bunch of assholes wearing those at Detroit GP - one of them actually tried to engage me and explain about how Jesse was his childhood friend. Get the gently caress out of here. It was like running into a twitter egg IRL

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

man i just googled this and lmao at people going "well chapin did time for drug charges!" like that's the same thing as serving three months for rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think it was LSV, Efro, and Sam Black (who was initially against it then thought about it and changed his mind)

Kibler got mad about the banning on twitter, in support of jesse

• Locked thread