Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Heh good catch.

That was Jonathon Loucks who worked as a designer till 2014. Considering how far in advance sets are designed/planned I wouldn't be surprised if MaRo took the idea and re-purposed it; though Jonathon isn't actually on the list of designers for the set.

Jon Loucks wasn't a card designer but rather a modo product designer I thought.

It's a shame because he had a custom cube with some really fun cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is that the guy who made space: the convergence? I liked that and regret never getting the full high-red renders before they were taken down.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

Jon Loucks wasn't a card designer but rather a modo product designer I thought.

It's a shame because he had a custom cube with some really fun cards.
Loucks primarily worked on Modo but also did some design work- he made Chromanticore for example.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think its a really clean way to impliment a psuedo 6th color.

In eldrazi sets they may use it as a pseudo 6th color, but if this is an evergreen or deciduous mechanic, then it would just be a way to make good artifacts and equipment without really damaging the color pie or making it way too expensive, since you have to make your mana base worse to gain effective access to that awesome artifact.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why would they revolutionize the entire game, forever changing how every colorless mana generator works, to make a few cards in a small set more confusing?

Is my name Cassandra?
It's actually something MaRo has talked about before - adding (1) (colorless mana) to your manapool is completely different to paying (1) (generic mana of any type) to cast a spell, and ideally those two things would not use the same symbol. This is just a good chance to change it to be consistent.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's actually something MaRo has talked about before - adding (1) (colorless mana) to your manapool is completely different to paying (1) (generic mana of any type) to cast a spell, and ideally those two things would not use the same symbol. This is just a good chance to change it to be consistent.

And they would do this in a small set with a marquee card that costs 8♦♦, make a theme that directly opposes Devoid with a marquee card that does nothing for ingest/process?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And they would do this in a small set with a marquee card that costs 8♦♦, make a theme that directly opposes Devoid with a marquee card that does nothing for ingest/process?

Yeah. They would. Even in the original Rise of the Eldrazi, the relationship between Eldrazi and color was kind of schizophrenic to begin with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't "directly oppose" devoid - all the colorless matters cards from BFZ will work with the diamond cards in OGW. Ingest/Process is clearly an Ulamog mechanic so yeah I can imagine Kozilek will do something different.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 18, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This does raise the issue of having another mechanic currently specific to this block that has like ten playable cards supporting it, but I guess that didn't stop them the first time.

♦ by itself is probably a good idea for the future though. Colorless has grown a real identity over the lifetime of the game and being able to make marquee colorless cards that you can't just splash freely into whatever normal deck probably opens up a lot of design space for them moving forward.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It doesn't "directly oppose" devoid - all the colorless matters cards from BFZ will be work with the diamond cards in OGW.

Devoid is using colored mana for colorless cards.

If your hypothesis is correct (because Ulamog and Mirrorpool inexplicably lack reminder text (which is one of the many reasons they're fake)) then ♦ cards directly refuse colored mana for colorless cards.

This is direct opposition. One wants colored mana, the other wants colorless. These aren't independent sets, they'll be drafted together.

Wastes is a common though so even if it were real (it's not) then the theme is inherently hosed from a drafting perspective. Say what you will about BFZ's archetype focus, at least you didn't have to draft basic lands instead of spells to enable anything.

Ingest/Process is clearly an Ulamog mechanic

This though... you're right, all the processors and ingesters are Ulamog's lineage.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You raise valid design concerns, but I still remind you that BFZ seems to have been a dubiously designed set from the get-go in terms of shamelessly parasitic mechanics so I don't think those are grounds enough by themselves to rule out the ♦.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the real great distortion here is turning the very funny start of this thread into bad speculation posts :o:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Devoid is using colored mana for colorless cards.

If your hypothesis is correct (because Ulamog and Mirrorpool inexplicably lack reminder text (which is one of the many reasons they're fake)) then ♦ cards directly refuse colored mana for colorless cards.

This is direct opposition. One wants colored mana, the other wants colorless. These aren't independent sets, they'll be drafted together.

Wastes is a common though so even if it were real (it's not) then the theme is inherently hosed from a drafting perspective. Say what you will about BFZ's archetype focus, at least you didn't have to draft basic lands instead of spells to enable anything.
Mythics are allowed to omit reminder text for space reasons, that isn't evidence that they are fake.

Also, devoid and the Diamond/Hedron mana symbol are not at all in opposition if we assume that D means "Pay for this using only colorless mana"- the cards that play off of devoid care about colorless creatures/spells period. Devoid is just a way of making a larger variety of colorless cards while still requiring you to play specific colors- too many colorless cards has a lot of knock on effects.

Also, wastes is a common, but I doubt that'll be the only way to get colorless mana in the set. There's already a good amount of colorless mana production in BFZ (Blighted lands, evolving wilds can get wastes now, kozilek's channeler/hedron archive), and I would expect to see more in Oath to support the theme. It may also appear with multiple art and/or be on the sheet more than once.
Don't forget the next draft environment is OOB, not OBB. That combined with the small set size in Oath gives them a lot of room to really change the draft environment up.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
All the discussion about a new mana symbol has got me and a buddy talking about 'snowdrazi', and, well

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

black potus posted:

the real great distortion here is turning the very funny start of this thread into bad speculation posts :o:

A post as cryptic as the thread itself.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Voyager I posted:

You raise valid design concerns, but I still remind you that BFZ seems to have been a dubiously designed set from the get-go in terms of shamelessly parasitic mechanics so I don't think those are grounds enough by themselves to rule out the ♦.
I don't think you understand what parasitic means. The only mechanic in BFZ that can be described as parasitic is rally, and they aren't especially due to the previous set of allies and their playablility in non-ally decks (since they always give your team one instance of the effect). Devoid/colorless matters plays with the entire history of artifacts and the previous colorless eldrazi. Process allows you to benefit from any exiled card, not just those ingested, and Converge is a pretty modular mechanic that plays with any multicolor deck.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

BFZ was already tied with Kamigawa for how insular it was. They are going for the record with OTG.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sarmhan posted:

Mythics are allowed to omit reminder text for space reasons, that isn't evidence that they are fake.

But it has flavor text. Elbrus is the only mythic to omit reminder text for flavor text, except it omitted the reminder text for evergreen keyword Equip. This is two different mythics both omitting reminder text for dubious reasons. Especially when it's a big loving deal like a mana symbol we've never seen before in the card's very casting cost.

Incidentally Snow mana never showed up in a casting cost and Phyrexian mana wasn't at mythic. 22/23 snow mana cards have reminder text, the sole exception being flavor text-less Rhimefeather Owl, and all 34 phyrexian mana cards have reminder text.

Mirrorpool should've been called out because 5 mana and sac is far below what they'd price a land that makes a clone. Christ Foundry of the Consuls costs 1 more to make 2 1/1 fliers, and it didn't also have the ability to Fork.

quote:

Also, devoid and the Diamond/Hedron mana symbol are not at all in opposition if we assume that D means "Pay for this using only colorless mana"- the cards that play off of devoid care about colorless creatures/spells period.

Then why does a land produce ♦?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

BFZ was already tied with Kamigawa for how insular it was. They are going for the record with OTG.

BFZ might be weaker (and that's ignoring how strong mana bases are atm which is stupid but whatever) but it actually has pretty reasonable interplay with origins and khans?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Because that's the colorless symbol now.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I don't think it does. The diamond just looks better, and fits the aesthetic of full art lands better, than a big number 1.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think it does. The diamond just looks better, and fits the aesthetic of full art lands better, than a big number 1.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Diamond mana is basically snow mana right? It's mana with a secondary attribute aside from color that depends on the source of said mana.

I mean like I'm not seeing how this is a problem aside from Diamond Faerie :haw:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I think that's just the new, no-ambiguities way to say "{1}" now, just because that seems less insane than any alternative.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

BFZ might be weaker (and that's ignoring how strong mana bases are atm which is stupid but whatever) but it actually has pretty reasonable interplay with origins and khans?

What are you referring to?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a tonne of stuff in BFZ that would support a "colorless mana matters" theme - the cycle of blighted lands, the 4 additional colorless lands, scions, Kozilek's Channeler etc. Yeah you'd need to spend different "colours" of mana within your deck if you pick up devoid cards but that's like saying that red and blue devoid cards fundamentally oppose each other.

With regards to draft something interesting to note is that you're getting a pack of basic lands with your OGW prerelease. So it's possible you can just add as many Wastes to your OGW limited deck as you like.

But it has flavor text. Elbrus is the only mythic to omit reminder text for flavor text, except it omitted the reminder text for evergreen keyword Equip. This is two different mythics both omitting reminder text for dubious reasons. Especially when it's a big loving deal like a mana symbol we've never seen before in the card's very casting cost.
You still haven't explained what the reminder text should be. "Use ♦ to cast ♦" doesn't seem necessary at all. If there's a rules update to change 1 to ♦ they aren't just going to randomly add reminder text to everything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zoness posted:

Diamond mana is basically snow mana right? It's mana with a secondary attribute aside from color that depends on the source of said mana.

I mean like I'm not seeing how this is a problem aside from Diamond Faerie :haw:

Doubtful. Snow mana was specifically any mana (of any color) that was produced by a permanent with the supertype "snow."

Mirrorpool has no properties other than "land" and Wastes has no properties other than "basic land," so there's nothing to grant the diamond any additional properties.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You still haven't explained what the reminder text should be. "Use ♦ to cast ♦" doesn't seem necessary at all. If there's a rules update to change 1 to ♦ they aren't just going to randomly add reminder text to everything.

Uh, "spend only colorless mana on ♦" like Consume Spirit?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

(This card is fake.)

The lack of reminder text to give ♦ meaning is part of why they are fake, because it's ambiguous as hell and this is a really big thing to introduce in the small set.

Like I said, this is a 3rd set problem thing, where one set had to go in a wacky direction to maintain interest, like 5th dawn's WUBRG theme or Saviors cards-in-hand thing. Except Devoid/Ingest/Allies/Landfall/Converge really shouldn't have this problem in a two-set block.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Doubtful. Snow mana was specifically any mana (of any color) that was produced by a permanent with the supertype "snow."

Mirrorpool has no properties other than "land" and Wastes has no properties other than "basic land," so there's nothing to grant the diamond any additional properties.

Well the name wastes is kind of a property. I want to think diamond is a more direct implementation of snow since I know I like to joke about why Tendo Ice Bridge isn't a snow card and like it's not particularly intuitive that tapping Dark Depths when you have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth out produces a black mana that can be used to pay for snow :v:. I'm guessing it has a similar design origin but with a more distinct and explicit implementation.

Aside from that like, whats actually the problem people are having w/ diamond mana.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I think that's just the new, no-ambiguities way to say "{1}" now, just because that seems less insane than any alternative.

Well no, it specifically means "1 colourless". It can't mean "{1}" because that is colour agnostic in a cost.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

(This card is fake.)

This got me thinking that having a real keyword meaning "This card is fake" on real cards would be hilarious.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

(This card is fake.)

The lack of reminder text to give ♦ meaning is part of why they are fake, because it's ambiguous as hell and this is a really big thing to introduce in the small set.

as opposed to

I mean on cards with a lot of text they drop mana symbol reminders.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Watch, if Wastes are real, our next 5 Fetches are going to be Search for a Wastes or [Color].

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

Watch, if Wastes are real, our next 5 Fetches are going to be Search for a Wastes or [Color].

No, becuase nobody would actually want to play wastes in constructed.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm going to be pissed if Wastes are real and a bunch of good Diamond cards come out that make painlands spike in value, destroying another avenue for cheap dual lands in this loving standard.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Instant

Destroy Exile target Creature or Planeswalker.

edit: Wait, that's out of flavour. Fixed.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mirrorpool should've been called out because 5 mana and sac is far below what they'd price a land that makes a clone. Christ Foundry of the Consuls costs 1 more to make 2 1/1 fliers, and it didn't also have the ability to Fork.

3 is what Mirari costs to Twincast spells, though, and you're also comparing a Mythic Rare to Uncommon in abilities. Obviously MIrrorpool isn't a card they'd want to be as common in draft pools as Foundry.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zoness posted:

as opposed to

I mean on cards with a lot of text they drop mana symbol reminders.

OFS mentioned this. It's the ONLY snow card that doesn't have reminder text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Seems weird that kozilek doesn't have indestructible or a similar ability.

Edit - eh guess it would be busted with his counter ability

• Locked thread