Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dehtraen posted:

and then a repair going into round 4 because someone misreported their results. It was 15 minutes into round 4 and it was already passed the time I usually am getting home.

lol how is it not just a "sorry dude, you shoulda checked the standings" at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Abzan is pretty expensive.
Sort of, I mean most if it you should already have if you were playing it before rotation. The only new expensive card is Gideon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

Big news for modo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/year-of-modern-flashbacks-2015-12-14

10 ticket modern drafts a new set each week all year long non-phantom events.

quote:

NOTE: Due to bugs currently impacting Darksteel rares Gemini Engine and Thought Dissector, Darksteel boosters opened during between the January 13 and January 27 downtimes will not contain these cards, whether in these events or through the collection. (Each pack will still contain a rare.) These cards can be opened again in Darksteel boosters after the January 20 downtime.
Never change, modo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Colorless mana symbol is really easy to understand

Don't worry, we only got a few more months of people flipping the gently caress out about it before they actually play with the cards and realize it's fine, just like what happened with DFCs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Prediction: when it comes time for OOTGW development articles, maro will make a "diamonds are forever" pun, possibly as the title of an article.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems good. Certainly fun.

How many times per turn cycle do you get to untap this guy in two-headed giant?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ThePeavstenator posted:

Why is it not just "take a DCI-certified class and test congrats you're now a white-belt judge"

Mentoring seems like it can open up holes to so many problems

That's basically what the Rules Advisor test is, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does MTGO still not display full-art transparent-frame cards like Eldrazi correctly? I got an Emrakul in MM15 draft and it's got a normal-art-sized crop of the full art stretched to cover the whole card and it seems like all full-art cards of that type display that way on MTGO.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So did (one of) the leak(s) happen because higher level judges get early access to cards? I wonder if Wizards is gonna stop giving them that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do they think it was originally leaked from previews they gave to judges though?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

My understanding is that the big problem isn't necessarily the programmers they have, its that they have to build it off of an increasingly aging architecture while simultaneously making sure every card works properly AND constantly adding new cards because WOTC's release schedule is pretty aggressive.

Everything I've heard about MTGO dev is that they have one team doing something that should be separated among 2 or 3 teams. Like there's no reason you should be taking people away from network stability troubleshooting to test rules code for a bunch of new cards every set, but apparently they just have one MTGO team that does everything and never has time to properly focus on major improvements because they're in constant deadline panic.

They still treat MTGO like a novel little side-project that they're doing in-house with a small team when really it should be spun off into a whole department of its own with like 3x the staff. And the backend probably ought to be redone from scratch but that's such a gargantuan task now that they're never going to do it.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

What happened was that wotc got the dregs of the seattle development community that were layed off ms and wherever during the first dotcom crash. Then, anyone with vision went along with gleemax and got pushed out when it failed. So now you have the ultraconservative half of a bunch of people who were not any good at software to begin with who have been there long enough to be in charge. Thus an insular and slow moving hierarchy with predictable results.

And this.
Whenever they do manage to hire someone who's actually skilled and driven and willing to take sub-standard pay for the chance to work on the game they love, that person inevitably gets frustrated by the culture and quits before managing to really change anything for the better. See: Jon Loucks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Immolating Glare has got to be Standard playable right? And that promo looks great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Molybdenum posted:

what's the best site to (MTGO) price check a modern deck?

The site you plan on actually buying the cards from.

e: NM, MTGO. mtggoldfish.com is generally reliable and the mtgo economy tends to have less price spread in general anyway if you're buying from a major bot chain.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't it an ETB trigger? Why would layers prevent it copying anything?

I guess it could look at base stats but that would make it pretty disappointing with Endless One and Hangarback Walker.

It depends on what the card actually says, given the various mangled translations. I see some translations saying it copies base power and toughness, which would make it way less good with a lot of things.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still confused by Kor Haven of all things being an expedition. I mean... Kor Haven? Is that even played in any deck in any real format? Is it a Commander thing? Including that thing but not Wasteland is kinda hilarious.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

They did include Wasteland, and both its strictly better and strictly worse cousins.

Oh right. I keep seeing the image of only 15 of the 20 that was going around, which I guess also includes only some of the filter lands, which would make no sense.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

If I understand layers (I probably don't), then it doesn't matter whether the effect is a copy effect--effects that set P/T to specific values always apply before pumps anyways.

Yes, the layers thing is only when you're copying a whole creature or something, in which case you get the base P/T, because you're copying the creature itself, not any effects that are currently on it. If something references a creature's P/T, it takes whatever that creature's P/T is at the time. Otherwise, e.g. Fling wouldn't work with pump spells.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

But, at the time that this continuous effect is applied, that creature's P/T still hasn't been pumped yet, because those pumps are applied in a later layer. Again, assuming I'm not missing something.

Basically:

Layer 7a: Eldrazi Mimic is a 2/1. Hangarback walker is a 0/0
Layer 7b: Hangarback Walker is still a 0/0. Eldrazi Mimic's continuous effect is applied, and it becomes a 0/0
Layer 7c: n/a
Layer 7d: Hangarback walker's counter is applied, and it is now a 1/1. Eldrazi Mimic has no counters, and remains a 0/0.
Layer 7e: n/a

So the final answer is that Hangarback walker is a 1/1 and Eldrazi Mimic is a 0/0. Am I missing something here?

Well Eldrazi Mimic has a triggered ability not a continuous effect, for starters.

When another colorless creature enters the battlefield under your control, a triggered ability goes on the stack that says "Set Eldrazi Mimic's base P/T to that creature's P/T until end of turn". When that ability resolves it will use whatever that creature's P/T actually was when it checked during its resolution. Which would include counters and pump effects and anthems and whatever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If a card is checking power or toughness of a creature, it looks at what the value actually currently is, including all modifiers. It's why you can counter a Complete Disregard with a Titan's Strength.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It will probably be mentioned in the rules article when the full spoiler goes up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

man, this Support X mechanic seems so :effort:

it could very well be good, but it feels boring.

Don't you remember how exciting Bolster was?

At least it's note Fateful Hour.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Walker Tutor

With inspirational Jace blurb

Worst draft rare ever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I was like yeah, yeah, browbeat card, whatever, but then I got to the last line. That's gonna be so fun to cast. I don't know if it will be good enough for constructed, but that's a fun card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That's the best Man-o'-War in a long long time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Obscil posted:

Another new card I found on mythic spoiler.

Dominant Will Eldrazi 2R
Creature- Eldrazi
Devoid
Haste
When you cast dominant will eldrazi, you may pay 1C. If you do, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
3/1

Looks like there's a rare cycle of "when you cast this, you may pay X to do Y" eldrazi creatures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

http://media.wizards.com/2015/ogw_239nCi30ks3/en_m92domhwxO.png

I feel like that if this ability was at instant speed it could be useful.

If it was instant speed it would be broken as gently caress, using it on your opponent's draw step when they were hellbent would mean they never got to cast a non-instant spell ever again.

There's a reason they very rarely print discard at Instant speed and never print repeatable discard at Instant speed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't talking about playable in anything but limited I just meant good, period. Like when you look at that card you don't go "wow another lovely punisher card, cool."
It's the age old spoiler season tradition of half the thread assuming everything is being evaluated for Standard / Modern and the other half assuming we're talking about Limited.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Permotriassic posted:

That is some hilariously bad flavortext on the Auxiliary

"We're going to have to BATTLE," said Jace, dark and mysteriously, "for ZENDIKAR!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Is Reflector Mage just the best Man-o-War variant? I think it's likely to be good, Aether Adept is a lot worse and it was marginally playable. The fact that you'll have mana up for when they try to recast the creature seems big.

It can't bounce your own dudes, which is sometimes useful (e.g. to get your big dude out from a Tightening Coils or a pacifism type effect), and it does have a much more restrictive casting cost. But assuming you're in a UW deck, it's probably almost always just better than Man-O'-War.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

That depends how many peopl actually read their cards?

So a lot of people will be asking then is what you're saying.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Pia and Kiran aren't even terrible names. If anything the only thing wrong there is the mild implication that real Indian names are basically the the same as made-up fantasy names.

It's basically the Indian equivalent of making a card called Pam and Kyle Jones.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

My friend's (adult) sister is named Elspeth. Chandra is also a real name, but not for that complexion.
Everything about Chandra's plane is kinda Indian flavoured except Chandra herself.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Shabadu posted:

I love Pia and Kiran because everyone just calls them Mom n Dad or Mom n Pop. I cast lightning bolt on your Mom n Dad. Sacrifice your Mom n Dad. etc

If you're not calling them "Mom and Thop" or "Helicopter Parents" you're doing it wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hellsau posted:

1 mana Azure Mage? Whole lotta LSV drafts are gonna start with that.

1/2 is so much worse than 2/1 though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

These Planeswalkers matters cards are odd to say the least.

And holy balls that flavor text is terrible.

Oh god there's going to be one for each of the planeswalker gang and the flavour texts are going to combine to be the full text of their cheesy fuckin' Oath.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I always think Jace's hooded look is kinda cheesy but then whenever he's not wearing it he looks worse.

Basically he's Kylo Ren.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

He looks find if he goes full on anime.

Granted, he still looks like a punchable nerd, but that's blue in a nutshell.

The official names for the Jaces are, in order of release, Baby Jace, Jace, Anime Jace, Michael C Hall Jace, Bad Jace and Tiny Jace, right?

e: Also, Full Anime Jace is this one:

Or no, this one:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 31, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

I too would like to know why they are printing rares that rely on mythics.

Because they can't print commons that rely on mythics.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

yes, Oath of Druids is a reasonable card to reprint, and also i'm high as a loving kite y'all

Watch them make a nerfed version called Oath of Nissa with awful flavour text.

But yeah, anyone who thinks Oath of Druids is getting a Standard reprint is high as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Would have thought there'd be more reaction to:

I mean, I guess its better than Lavaclaw Reaches

I'd be way more excited if it had 1 power and a higher toughness.

• Locked thread