Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Would wastes mean it's possible to deal 6 with tribal flames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, a shitlord-filled semi-local store/minor online retailer Legitmtg.com, formerly known as The Lotus Guardian before they bought the brand from the previous owner, got burgled of all the cards in its display case a few days ago.

police blotter posted:

• Approximately 100,000 Magic The Gathering cards worth $50,000 were reported stolen in a Sunday burglary at Legit MTG, 527 Emory Drive.

https://twitter.com/LegitMTG/status/666304369365749760

I wouldn't pity them much, they sell played (not lightly played) cards as near mint online, had been broken into previously and never got an alarm or camera system, and have a local reputation of sanctioning tournaments during the day in the middle of the week that somehow manage to get enough people to keep up their store status even though you can't fit 32 people in the store at once.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

So their name is ironic?

They poo poo up their original brand, and bought it and the business off of J Medina in 2013.

Also, holy poo poo, this article on the legitmtg site. Either he has totally played at the actual physical store, or he hasn't, and thought the players there would care.

http://legitmtg.com/culture/bullying-in-magic-the-gathering-community/

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

He makes an effort to include the girlfriend in his profile pic.

0/10

That's funny you mention the cheating on the wife and extremely dishonest trades that cause I checked his twitter to see if he had anything to say on the break in and it's actually full of #Christianity, bible quotes and general pro-Christian stuff. Seems a bit of a turn around there aye.

Medina left magic altogether in 2013, per his last article on legitmtg before he sold it to a store from hours away, so I don't know why he would even know.

Ultima66 posted:

FYI, LegitMTG was started by Jon Medina, the guy who used to write finance articles for SCG, was the original big speculator that's responsible for the current wave of speculators, and started the first pack to power series of articles where he showed people how to make extremely dishonest and lopsided trades to screw over people who don't know better. Also he cheated on his wife and made a big show of it with a public apology to the Magic community.

So the originator of the brand was a shitlord, too? As long as he sent cards out on time at a reasonable price, and they were the grading level that he claimed they were, I think the store would have a good reputation.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
If anything needs to lose key cards, it's affinity and Twin. Twin at 12.1 percent of the metagame and affinity at 10.4? That's almost a quarter of the field on day 2.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Insane local magic drama: the local high level judge got To-catch-a-predator'd last night and relinquished his drat self to police custody today.

What this means for future GPT's is unclear!

I was going to make a second insensitive joke about all PPTQ's being cancelled because it doesn't stand for Pre-Teen qualifiers, but I'm not going to.

This is important. Is he a Star Trek fan? Does he play blue? Does he have a lantern control, Merfolk, or miracles deck?

Write back ASAP

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lancelot posted:

even if the new cards cost actual diamond gemstones to cast, they'd be cheaper than current manabases

Well, I mean, so's Travis Woo's mom.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Strange, otherworldly, indescribable beings. But they're gendered.

Or is that just based on the deities they inspired?

Why does it matter to Christians that God is a He or to boat/ship folk that ships are She?

Anthropomorphication, dude.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

so lets price speculate on these new expo lands

I'm not gonna :toxx: it, but at least for a little while, I'm pretty sure the wasteland expedition is going to net you a playset of non-foil shock lands.

And forbidden orchard'll get you half a cavern of souls.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Goddamn, this place is reading like MTGSalvation lately.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Has it occurred to you that this shitpost isn't funny to anybody except yourself?

rabidsquid and black potus are loving hilarious sorry your mom vaccinated you as a kid

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
a man using a name like trick professionally in tyool 2015 told us that its a dick move to leak poo poo like this

he might as well have just written a five thousand word essay that is just the sentence 'I am so far up my own rear end that im playing james deen in 'bad choices: the farrah abraham story''

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I just legit spit coffee on my monitor. :lol:

Also, where did all these people come from expecting hard-hitting, on-topic posting in the Something Awful Comedy Forums? Half the dudes who post in this thread get mad when people debate whether specific Magic cards are good. Or any other stimulus, really.

Glad to be of service.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Sometimes, being in the thick of the tournament scene make you get blinders to the rest of the world going on around you. So tonight I just got a real eye-opener. This might run a little long, sorry if I rant.

My daughter is 7, and she's really shown an interest in playing games with me. After months of telling her she needed better math skills to play the Pokemon TCG, she progressed enough for me to stab at it. I picked up a cheap two-person set. She picked up on the rules right away (I haven't played it since 2001), and most important, she really enjoyed spending time with me.

I went to my LGS tonight for FNM. I busted my prize packs, and there's a Gideon I didn't need. I traded it in and grabbed a bunch of Pokemon packs for my daughter. Inside the pack was a code. I went home, turned on Pokemon Online, put in the code, she got an online pack to go with her real one. She also got a theme deck, a bunch of rares, and 5 packs to get her started. The game moved flawlessly and it has an attractive GUI.

That one Gideon bought my daughter 4 packs of real cards, 4 packs of Online cards. Plus the 5 packs and the theme deck she got free. Wizards wants me to buy my cards twice, in two secondary markets they don't control. They attract new players through a poorly built Steam game that only sorta-kinda emulates real Magic. Players get there and find the best decks in the room are hundreds of dollars (God forbid they come on Modern night). Your store determines the prize support ranging from only Top 8 to everyone gets a pack, to store credit. Wizards is kind enough to hook you up with 1 foil for Top 4 of an uncommon that may or may not see play in the format it's in. High-demand reprints like Modern Masters are printed in low supply and mixed with a lot of chaff no one ever asked for.

I'm not saying Magic is bad or Wizards is trying to kill the game, nothing like that. I just haven't been to any big-box store lately and not seen/heard of every other CCG in the world putting out tins of in-demand reprints, or finding new ways to add value in the online space. While these games have been trying to claw their way into a crowded market over the years, this is what Wizards gave us:

- Discontinued Magic Player Rewards
- Switched to an MTGO client every beta tester said was not up to snuff
- Started printing low-cost staples at mythic (Voice, Warden, etc.)
- Discontinued Gateway promos/league
- Let Legacy die rather than abolish a foolish promise
- A 3-year trend of watering down the standard pool, making sets that are top-heavy with almost all value in 2-4 mythics
- Released not one, but 2 Modern Masters sets with dramatically reduced availability and a mixed-bag of needed reprints vs. 3/4 chaff
- Let SCG run willy-nilly as the price-setter of the secondary market, driving up pricing through buy-outs and generally harming the ability to attract new people to formats
- Removed mythic Pre-Release foils (finally going back on this...by turning it into a lottery)

I've complained about some of these topics before, but it didn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth until now. Taking a step back made me realize at some point after I started loving Magic, Magic stopped loving me. I have to pay for every little thing I want to do with their game, and the pricing is absurd. I used to get all sorts of rewards and thanks for playing, and 'get psyched for the next set, here's the pre-release foil bomb!' and packs felt worth opening. Now I take 5 prize packs and leave 50 cards on the table for anyone who wants it, and throw the rest in a binder with the other 30-40 cards I've cracked that no one wants.

So, rant over. I have my decks for the format I play in, maybe I'll just start playing for store credit and add to my daughter's new collection.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Pokemon is a good example of a well-realized online component to the original game. You don't have the same collection in both, but you kinda get two boosters for the price of one (or you can offload the code for some money on the side), and last I checked, the online bit isn't shy about giving you cards without paying, or competing with others, it just places trade restrictions on them. Yes, the client wasn't perfect (when I played), but it was responsive and mostly good, and it LOOKED sleek, it looked like a product made in 20XX (I think I played back in 2013 or so, for reference. Around the time when you couldn't run Professor Juniper and the new Professor Whatever with the same effect in decks together, you had to pick one or the other).

non-sourced quoting from mtgsalvation

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's weird seeing how many of you care about card flicking or counting. Like of all the things wrong with this lovely incestuous community and you guys pick the most innocuous and harmless parroting of what people see on streams. I don't get it.

"I can deal with filthy stores run by assholes, weird cliquish bullshit that should have died out in middle school, cheaters, morons playing cardboard Gordon Gecko, but this dude is doing some counting just like someone on the internet and IM FLIPPING THE gently caress OUT"

My store's pretty nice, and not shark-y, so gently caress you, got mine, card flicking bugs me because I'm ADD and easily distracted.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bhsman posted:

Pretty sure he also wrote the response to the "Why the MTG community is unhelpful at best to making female players feel welcome" that was so bad it was taken down quickly and Cedic wrote an apology article to replace it.

He hasn't done his own comic strip in years, either.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I wonder if they'll still get their exemplar program foils.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Foma posted:

I have a hard time believing this group has some secret in to card spoilers and has been getting leaks ahead of time in a consistent manner. It sounds more like they are just like the people in this thread coming across links that might be or might not be legit spoilers and posting them or just reading them.

Maybe some member works for the printer?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
When do we get the article which states what wizard did well/not well in the past year? Like what was made right and made wrong.

I would love to read how wizards made an "honest" mistake of printing abominations like Jace, flipwalker and promise how "we would definitely balance jaces next time (but obviously break it, i mean how can they not push jaces?)". I would also like to see how they did theros enchantments really well (they did not).

Also:

I was browsing through Craigslist and saw a posting for a collection of thousands of cards for $200. So jump on the chance since collections go for way more.

I drive to the ladies house, introduce myself and start going through the boxes - there literally were thousands, most commons & uncommons, but a lot of rares & mythics.

I agree to the terms and buy the cards. She walks me to the door & tells me about the cards. They were her grandsons collection, who used to play-

(mind you that I am mostly thinking in head about what I just bought & how I am going to organize them between what I keep & what I trade on Pucatrade, so all of the pieces are not really coming together in my head, not until about half an hour ago).

She told me her grandson is 12, played heavily for 4 years, then decided he was over it. She then told me that he told her he "wanted to get back into it." The boys grandmother told him that he's not to, that they are selling them. She then tells me that the cards are going to pay for the family of 5 (I am guessing grandmother, grandfather, mother, father, and kid) to see the new Star Wars flick.

I say good bye, thank her for selling me the cards & go on my merry way. Half an hour ago, all of the moving parts just came together. For 4 years, a kid, from ages 8 to 12, spends money (allowance, gift, trade, etc...) to gather a collection. He parents/grandparents see his disinterest over time and sell it for a mere $200, when he most likely spent $400 or more (he had to have). He not only loses his hobby, but the time, energy, and money that went into it doesn't go back to him. Instead, they thoughtlessly and greedily used the money on the family. He's 12, he has no choice to oblige. I do feel guilty now for buying the collection. I think they parents/grandparents should have given him 1 chance (1 or 2 nights) to build 3 - 4 decks to keep him into the hobby, then ditched the rest. I understand I do not know the whole story: he could have an actual card addiction, where it affected his grades, home life, social life, etc... But it got me thinking about my own perils.

I remember my own mother once getting mad at the 15 year old me for not cleaning my room, then taking a 5000 count box and tossing it into a garbage bag. She later rescinded and I reorganized the cards (my mother, years later, apologized).

Is it strictly ignorance that pushes a parent to act so thoughtless. Or is it the parent/child relationship of dominance? I began playing in winter of '93- Black Lotus was a $100 card. As I saw it grow in price, I kept bugging my dad (who has made a lot of money in the stocks) to buy a few, as an investment. He just laughed, called the game a trend. He now wishes he listened to me.

I ask this to any of the parents/grandparents out there: Do you keep an open mind in your children's hobbies? How to you express respect and understanding when scholastic/family/friendships/etc... deteriorate when a card game goes from a hobby to an addiction?

I hope you are fair and do not trash their game (literally and figuratively).

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 23, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jace isn't broken, it's a beautiful baby and Magic deserves more cards like it, not less

What they should actually apologize for is making a lovely standard around the cool, fairly powered card

drat right.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Insider trading is an area where information can expressly be illegal. This doesn't apply to almost anything else. The person who did something illegal is the person from WOTC who violated their contract/nda and gave some spoilers to a buddy. Before this incident, nobody in the world knew that holding a DCI membership put an obligation on you to report leaks or risk a suspension or revocation of your membership. This is literally, surprise! Secret rule, your suspended!
Now, you can make a moral argument about whether or not a person should report what may be a leak. I have no argument there. The bothersome thing is Helene says in that chat log, that there are no rules about outside of game incidents other than violence, threat, theft, that would occur at a DCI event. I mean, there are kind of rules, but they won't write them down and tell you. They reserve the right to cancel your DCI membership if they feel you've done something to deserve it, but you can't know what kinds of things might cause that to happen beforehand. You can make educated guesses based on "is this in WOTC's best interests or against them" It is never fun dealing with nebulous rules.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

GeneX posted:

Just stop playing organized magic. No trolling here.

It's a card game; if you're so invested that even the remote possibility of you running afoul of WotC's whims (a bad argument in and of itself, but whatever) causes you to get mad, put down your cardboard, read a book, and maybe play something that you don't quite care about as much. Like some of the eurogames Chill la Chill won't shut up about.

A DCI suspension shouldn't matter all that much to anyone besides the people who make a living off of the game. You can still play magic with friends or in unofficial tournaments, and that's really what the majority of magic players do.

E: this was directed at the guy who wants very specific DCI guidelines for what you can be banned for

One of my gimmicks is to take posts from Reddit and MTGSalvation that are silly and post them here ironically.

I think this whole uproar is loving hilarious.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I am a Magic Judge.
I am a Magic Judge. I’ve worked hard to be able to call myself that. I’ve been mentored while working events, pre-tested, and tested. I’ve helped to foster the spirit of good sportsmanship between players and within Communities.
I am a Magic Judge. My road has been difficult. Sometimes I work an event with no expectation of remuneration. Other times, I’ve been well compensated - but the hours are long and the gratitude can be sparse. I review myself constantly. I review other Judges and their actions. I am, in turn, reviewed and hope that someone points out an area I can improve.
I am a Magic Judge. I spend time networking, teaching, and supporting. I have a cadre of friends, players and fellow Judges alike, who all help to prop me up for the next event. I live more off of high fives and smiles then I do off of compensation that often won’t cover much more than my travel expenses for the event given my place in the program.
I am a Magic Judge. My goal is to learn more every day and to be an asset to those around me. To be valued by TO’s. To be appreciated by players. To bring a sense of style and fair play to everyone I interact with at my LGS or GP. I live for that moment when someone yells, ‘Judge!’ in a crowded hall.
I’m a Magic Judge. I don’t Judge because I need some form of validation or because I want to be the ‘boss’. A shocking number of my contemporaries are introverts. Some of us even have difficulty leaving our house or being around groups of more than a few people. We Judge for the love of the game.
I am a Magic Judge. I walk miles of concrete flooring to take calls, distribute slips, watch matches, and clean up tables. I wish I could harness the energy of a fully-staffed GP - I sometimes think we’d give the 300 Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae a run for their money. Romantic thoughts aside, the love for the game expressed by those who choose to ‘take the black’ is second to none in the gaming industry.
I am a Magic Judge. I’ll continue to Judge and hope that my community will respect my desire to help them, even as I see the program questioned from every angle this week. I’ll watch, assimilate new data, and hopefully find ways to see the positive in all of this turmoil. I’ll bide my time and until I’m actually asked for an opinion, I’ll do my job which is essentially a combination of volunteer and independent contractor (depending on the role I’m in at that moment).
I am a Magic Judge. I ask members of the community to recognize the program itself, from its core to the farthest reaches of our service area, is strong and will continue to produce arbitrators you can trust. I’m thankful to be a Judge and even more thankful to be in a position where I can help others pursue becoming a Judge.
I am a Magic Judge.

Where's this from? I want to see the comments.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
The Asscrack King didn't bitch about his 18 month suspension. He took it like a man.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm mildly surprised they didn't do the "Christmas present" spoiler this year and then just have a picture of a big steaming Trick Jarrett dump.

They do a smaller version of that whenever they publish any of his articles.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Have they set the dates for the other prereleases and game days this year, or do we have to wait for set names to release? I was hoping to turn in a list of weekends I could tell my boss to gently caress off on in advance, if the scheduled person is taking off. I found Oath and SOI, but nothing further than that.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I just pulled a 46 dollar card out of my main deck for boggles. (Zakisalwaysright listed one for 45 bucks on TCGPlayer.)

Which one of you is that?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Other combo decks like Scapeshift, Ad Nauseam and to some extent storm. It also probably annoys the podless decks a fair amount.

Also the hive mind win on amulet bloom.
And chalice of the void

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

I feel like a WOTC-pushed superfriends deck is greasy

These superfriends agree, eh.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Cards that have spiked for the stupidest reasons over the last few months.

Yes. Give me a special art Storm World.

Special art Gaddock Teeg

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My question is: are they really that likely to kill Amulet Bloom this time, or is it people just grousing about combos?

They just reprinted a bunch of amulet bloom pieces in MM2015, in the bounce lands and the Primeval Titans, and it's obviously not super overpowered, as it's only 5 percent of the field for all of 2015, only 5 percent for the last two months, and isn't being adopted by large swaths of the player base.

It's a good deck, yeah, but it's not the most oppressive deck. You can't just give copies to 8 people and send them out to win 8 tournaments without a shitload of practice.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 5, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Niton posted:

There are times when it goes off and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

Sounds like every combo deck, though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Bloom can go off before their opponent gets to play a second land. Modern doesn't have the cards available where it's reasonable to expect decks to consistently have answers to something like that.

They just printed that blue 1 mana counter instant spell unless that spell's controller pays 4 mana in BFZ. Bam, Summer Bloom is hosed on turn 2.

Also, thoughtseize, and other variations of thoughtseize exist, and you can thoughtseize summer bloom or amulet of vigor, and pay 1 black phyrexian to surgically extract all copies of either.

Granted, shatter costs 1R to kill Amulet, and Back to Nature costs 1g to kill hive mind, but most red decks in modern can include Simian Spirit Guide to cheat out an extra red.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 5, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Spell shrivel is 3 mana and dispel only counters instants and doesn't have pay 4

Dispel counters summer bloom for U, though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Do they do the B&R list Monday, or the Monday after the prerelease?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
here's what I see at the subforum level on deck box. I don't think this is right.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Balon posted:

I called my LGS this morning because I'm planning on picking up 2 more inquisitons and was quoted $12/ea at 10am. By the time I came to pick them up at 7pm the price was $25.

"gently caress you, you shoulda come in at 10 am. Pay me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah I don't understand why wizards doesn't push a format that would sell a product once for $10MSRP / $3wholesale and then never again while costing a small amount in support (FNM prizing / DCI maintenance) when they could push draft which sells a box of product per 8 people in 3 hour blocks which is ~$150MSRP/$40-$50wholesale.

While we're at it I don't understand why they don't just allow you to print proxies and play at sanctioned tournaments, or just sell singles directly to the consumer for printing costs alone!

They're suggesting event decks for pauper, you goofy gently caress.

• Locked thread