Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I suspect these are real, and if so I bet we're seeing a permanent templating change for colorless mana, possibly tied in flavorfully with the Eldrazi winning on Zendikar, or at least pulling off something big before getting defeated.

It actually elegantly solves several problems, like giving colorless commanders a basic land, powerful artifacts being too splashable, and the ambiguity of both a cost of {1} and the addition of {1} to your pool being symbolized the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

GonSmithe posted:

Someone posted Kozilek on Aleksi Briclot's Facebook and asked if it was his art.

This seems like strong evidence for them being real

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I really hope he means it when he suggests this won't be Snow2.0 because that would just.... suck. I think I've come to the conclusion that I really hope this is a new, permanent templating change for colorless mana production. What are the other options? My comedy option would be that it is basically snow mana again, a psuedo-sixth color, but it can be used as any color if used to cast colorless spells, ie Devoid, because that's really the only way it doesn't both completely blow for limited and create a giant mechanical and design disconnect between it and BFZ

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I consider myself to be pretty well versed in rules minutia, to the point where I'm one of the go-to rules questions guess at my LGS, and I just today learned that Makes actually briefly exiles the card. Interesting.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I genuinely have no idea how you could word Split Second without using either "stack" or "resolves" without it being a brick of text

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah if referencing the stack is too complicated, you certainly can't use the word "respond" which doesn't even have actual rules meaning

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
If new Kozilek just said in the text box "At least two mana used to cast Kozilek must be colorless" would that be a dumb mechanic? I don't think so, and it certainly doesn't fit the definition of 'parasitic'

I don't understand the criticism of this

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Oh yeah I forgot what thread I was reading

Edit: how do you type the little black diamond?

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 8, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sigma-X posted:

I have no idea, that's why I'm saying it's loving retarded, and the notion of taking design space from other colors to build a future "colorless" identity is garbage, but that's about all the design space that ♦ as a cost adds.

Your objections seem to be based entirely on what wizards may or may not choose to do in the future

IF colorless as a specific cost becomes a recurring mechanic and IF they use that recurring mechanic to try to give colorless its own identity and IF that identity overlaps with things other colors can do, THEN specifically colorless costs are a dumb idea

This sounds to my untrained ear like complaining for the sake of complaining

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I would be really, really surprised if Wastes shows up in any sets after this one that aren't another Return to Zen set. Colorless mana costs are likely to show up about as much as hybrid mana; very occasionally and with specific reasons for doing so.

Jesus I remember almost this exact same argument happening for weeks when Ravnica came out.

It's not about opening up design space, although it does do that to a degree. The fundamental point of this change is obviously to separate colorless mana production from generic mana costs, which is a smart and good change. It looks better and makes more sense. It's not in any way a "pseudo sixth color" unless you consider artifacts to be the sixth color. If anything it helps RESTRICT color bleed by allowing WOTC to print disincentives for dummy 4c and 5c goodstuffs decks

I mean if you wanna say that printing a run of cards in one set that require colorless mana to be cast is a bad dumb mechanic then fine but that's just, like, your opinion, man. There's nothing objectively bad about it.

Edit: to put it a different way, the answer to the question "what can a creature that costs 1GB do differently than a creature that costs ♦GB?" the answer isn't just nothing, but emphatically nothing. A ♦GB creature INSISTS on being only green and black, it steadfastly refuses to be red, white or blue. Again, ♦ costs are reinforcing the five color paradigm, not distorting it.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 9, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sigma-X posted:

What is a disincentive to running 5 colors that adding colorless mana as a requirement skirts around? It is literally as restrictive as colored mana. The deck build costs are pretty much identical between WUB♦ and WUBR, either way you have 4 restrictions.
Artifacts aren't a 6th color because they're intended to be shared among colors and be used by any color deck, that's their entire original design goal. Adding a colorless restriction is not functionally different than a 6th color, and is fundamentally different than artifacts.

See my edit above you

If Siege Rhino cost ♦WGB, it would be much harder to play him in a deck with four colors, where your mana base has to be devoted and super greedy. it incentivizes you to stick with the colors printed on the card because the fewer colors your deck is trying to support, the more likely you are to have incidental colorless lands like the Blighted cycle, painlands, things like Rogue's Passage, and on and on and on. The important difference isn't between WUBR and ♦UBR, but between 2RU and ♦♦RU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I actually like the new Wastes art quite a bit. It feels vast and barren and really communicates the flavor well.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Hopping Ghost posted:

Was it loving awful in Coldsnap too?

That's not a challenge, I wasn't playing when Coldsnap came out and I honestly don't know whether it was loving awful or not.

It wasn't the worst, it just wasn't super well executed. The main problem in Coldsnap was that the snow cards weren't really a good enough payoff 90% of the time. Special lands like this kind of gave to be draftable cards because the alternative has a lot of logistical problems; is Wizards going to send every store a massive pile of Wastes to keep with their free basic lands? Drafting cards with special mana costs is supposed to be costly, presumably <> specific cards are going to be more powerful than regular colorless counterparts and allowing any number of Wastes to be picked up for free removes a lot of the tension they're trying to add.

I think it will turn out better this time because A) there will be two packs of OGW per draft, making Wastes a fairly easy pick up if you need it and B) this format has Evolving Wilds, Blighted Woodland, and Eldrazi Scions, making it much easier to come across the colorless mana you need if you commit to taking the D, but taking enablers like that don't pigeon-hole you if you need to change strategy mid-draft, whereas in Coldsnap the Snow cards and lands were super parasitic.

I actually almost hope they put Evolving Wilds in Oath too, for that reason. That or another Pilgrim's Eye type card at common. Also Pilgrim's Eye should have been a common :colbert:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

These are all correct.

Boy I love all-in parasitic mechanics that have negative synergy with the previous set and have 12 cards to work with.

This is my one gripe about this whole thing: it seems really antithetical to Devoid. But the rest of the set could easily alleviate those problems. However I think characterizing the colorless costs mechanic as all-in or parasitic is a misevaluation.

I didn't see the presentation, did they really say there are only twelve colorless costed cards or are you just joking around?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zoness posted:

nah man drafting snow basics in coldsnap was the best, only second to picking up every copy of surging sentinels and surging dementia or krovikian mists.

Ripple was a sweet mechanic

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Expecting me to have friends and acquaintances just shows once again that wizards does not understand their target demo

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Wait so do we know for sure now that we're not getting enemy tangolands? Wouldn't non-cycle expeditions be the exact situation that would suggest we are?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Cast ulamog, exile your lands, all your dudes die. I win.

yes please

I didn't realize it was on cast, that's nuts

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

I didn't think it would've been crazy if Avenger of Zendikar was reprinted.

I'm crossing my fingers for a reprint on it, or at least something that makes Nissa's dumbass plant tokens relevant

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
If you think about it, each hybrid symbol is also another color and so is Phyrexian mana so really there are twenty one colors

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Allstone posted:

Twobrid and snow makes 31.

Well this is just getting ridiculous

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
How in the whole, entire gently caress is Wild Slash a buck fifty. Shock. Shock is a dollar fifty in this format. That has to be about the perfect encapsulation of the current standard.

This has been A Post by Stinkles thank you for reading

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

3 damage to creature or player for 2 cmc is also too powerful for current standard. Let that sink in.

I suspect that's a decision that will get reversed pretty shortly. We've had a couple months without a Disintegrate of some kind and it pretty clearly isn't too powerful. I'd expect to see a Lightning Strike reprint within the next set or two. Same with turn one mana dorks, I'd be amazed if there wasn't one back in the format by rotation.

Comedy option, give me back Birds of Paradise!

Edit: yeah calling it power level is an oversimplification, they just like to try different things in Standard at different times. Once upon a time Elfhame Palace and the like were the best duals in the format.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 15, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
There just HAS to be something that cares about plant tokens. It just makes no sense otherwise

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

jassi007 posted:

I wish the organizer would tell me what the prize is.

You get a free username change to "mcmagic" and all your posts are signed "c.o. Narset Transcendent" from now on

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
So am I to believe that, per wizards themselves, the vast majority of their player base will never look at or post on a magic forum or encounter online leaks

But that those same players WOULD have seen the normal spoilers in noted internet smash-hit Uncharted Realms?

Hmmmmm

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

black potus posted:

I honestly don't even want to open an Oath of the Gatewatch pack now that I know what will be in it. [SW spoiler joke]

You're a monster

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 16, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mandatory lesbian posted:

here's a post not about spoilers: why is every Kozilek brood card red in BFZ when his card steals from blue mechanics

He's blue also, see Herald of Kozilek

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

This with Kolaghan's Command alone is good enough to be standard playable. There are a lot of times where this is a much better Flametongue Kavu.

Exquisite Firecraft, Crackling Doom, Hordeling Outburst, Jeskai Charm, Dromoka's Command, Read the Bones... yeah

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: Lands are the primary resource and mechanic for this game so they should be in front. Also helps to prevent your opponent from cheating with them as easily.

You do this just to be contrarian and you know it :colbert:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Wizards will eventually smarten up and do what Pokemon TCG apparently does according to that MTGS repost earlier, and give you digital product with every purchase of paper product. That cleanly solves their problem of needing to get into the digital space while still selling and supporting physical product.

Maybe MODO will also become.. not poo poo? A guy can dream

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Also I'm not sure how many of you guys have actually played Hearthstone but let's just say I'm not exactly worried about it taking over the card game market. It's got plenty of its own problems. Like being a dumb game for dummies.

In case this post has inspired you to try Hearthstone to see what the fuss is about, allow me to save you the time and recommend that you instead flip twenty coins and pretend that's how many games of Hearthstone you've won today.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
It's pretty funny that hearthstone ripped off basically every core gameplay component of MtG except removed some of them and yet wizards still isn't smart enough to rip off their functioning digital platform.

Like, they could crush them overnight if MODO looked like hearthstone

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Is some combination of Den Protector/Ire Shaman/Stratus Dancer/Rattleclaw Mystic/Deathmist Raptor good enough for a Temur Megamorph shell? Seems like it'd be a fun strategy and those just have to be a decent card advantage engine. Is Secret Plans a playable card? What about Obscuring Aether? If either of those are good enough to play, would having both be too much do-nothing?

I'm paralyzed with indecision, help me thread

Oh and this is for moderately competitive FNM

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Well Stratus Dancer seems like it lines up decently enough against Jeskai actually, you could get a lot of clutch counters and it can kill Mantis Riders, and I want to run RUG instead of just UG specifically to have efficient answers to Jace in the form of Fiery Impulses/Wild Slashes.

My game plan against an Abzan curve-out would be the same as every other deck's: hope they don't get it, then board in Roasts

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there anywhere I can order fun drake tokens that aren't winged big-titted anime catgirls

Sooo... You don't want big tittied catgirls? I don't think I understand the question

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

black potus posted:

whats the skill tester that puts therapy to shame someone please tell me

Pretty sure it's Battle of Wits

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

UberJew posted:

in standard it's silkwrap that can't hit half of a wingmate roc and can't cleanly answer hangarback walker, but doesn't die to half a dromoka's command and is at instant speed

that's probably good enough to see play, even with the stricter mana constraint

Like, I take your point here, but this is a terrible comparison. It's like Silkwrap insofar as it costs two, and targets creatures.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

JerryLee posted:

Isn't a $15 preorder price for a planeswalker a massive tell that anybody "in the know" thinks it's going to be poo poo? Seems to me that I remember $25 (or higher, sometimes much higher) being the more usual price window for planeswalker preorders, though I could be confusing that with first-weekend-of-release prices instead.

Yes. For the most obviously powerful or hyped ones I've seen them set it at $40 even. $15 pre-order means it'll be Sarkhan/Narset real price levels, which is to say, it'll be as cheap as any planeswalker ever is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

$15 was what both Ob Nixilis pre-ordered for and $17-20 was what I saw Kiora for. Ob Nix is about $6 and Kiora costs a little less than the pack she comes in.

Hahahaha yeah exactly, Kiora being a $20 preorder tells you all you need to know.

• Locked thread