Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alris posted:

How could anyone take The Lore seriously when the culmination of a six-year story arc revolving around a trio of titanic pan-dimensional eldritch presences, who very literally consume the fabric of reality itself, whose presence warps the laws of time and space, who by all accounts are eternal, immutable, inscrutable and inexorable, were finally taken out by being set on fire?

The Martians got taken out by our diseases.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i want all the mans to mash into each other, and me

Heck, :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

the martians weren't anywhere near as ineffable in thier biology as the eldrazi tho, this isn't anywhere near as bullshit as the mtg story

I thought the story was about hubris on the martians' part and that nature overcomes technology in the end. If the Eldrazi weren't man-made then yeah it doesn't make sense, but I thought they were? Or was that Phyrexians? In any case, the poster who mentioned Cthulhu getting run over by a boat is right.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

I like the outer black border with the hieroglyphs (would look amazing in foil), but the rest of it is yawn-worthy.
:agreed: The border looks nicer but I'm glad WOTC decided to be bold on the layout since otherwise it would've looked like yet-another-foil TM.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

beergod posted:

mana flood/screw still being a thing in 2017 is hilariously bad game design and holds magic back in the dark ages bigly

thats my hot take a returning magic player

That's what Force of Will and, online, Shadowverse have attempted to fix. The new cycle kinda helps, but I've said a few times that at the very least, all basic lands should've had cycling for several years now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

beergod posted:

I'm not sure you can fix it at this point. I think it dates the game in a significant way. I didn't expect to be fixated on the mana fixing issue (coming from Hearthstone) but I'm having a hard time getting past it.

Force of Will is the only real choice if you still want a magic-style experience. Otherwise, something more like Star Wars Destiny is probably more interesting to you since that has a guaranteed replenishment rate with a lot of back and forth play. It still has variance, being a dice game, but like X-wing miniatures the whole point of the game is to minimize your variance and allow for powerful one-hit-kills.

But yeah, magic's working on a clunky system from a bygone era from before Settlers of Catan, after which designers actually started looking at game design through a much clearer lens.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 1, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Netrunner was made a few years after Garfield made magic and is a much nicer asymmetric game. Been a while since I've played it but as I recall, you always gained 1 credit/turn and there are several ways to earn recurring credits after that for your economic engine. Sad that didn't take off instead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the site with the feature that shows recent attempts at speculated buyouts? I think it was linked here once or twice and I should start selling stuff into the hype instead of merely laughing at it happening.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

Friendly reminder people are, right now, paying 50 dollars per uncommon.

You got off easy.

Force of will says hi.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veyrall posted:

Are we looking at the same sets of cards? Because legit the invocations are way worse than these.

:barf: I'm glad they went with the invocations inserts the way they did since it would've looked like the lovely BFZ inserts otherwise.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

I think a distinction ought to be drawn between being unintuitive, which includes plenty of things that are otherwise fine for magic (going all the way back to the "I put an unholy strength and a holy strength on my air elemental at the same time!!" example from the Alpha rulebook), and being actually difficult for a person of reasonable cognitive and language-using capabilities to understand once the loophole or edge case is described to them, which covers... very few things in Magic, actually?

Of course, opinions may differ with respect to whether the janky Beck//Call combos were actually good for Magic. I happen to think they were fine. They enabled some cool janky decks that weren't actually a threat to the metagame.

You're talking about diagetic and exegetic mechanical effects vs. flavor. And personally I'm all in for mechanical streamlining all day since too many games have dumb, unnecessary fiddly bits. MTG is a 20yo game and there's been lots of rules technology that's been developed since then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gonna need people to start listing their opinions re: Gifts Ungiven

The updated wording is good. There's no need to have a "correct" logically deducible wording that doesn't really represent anything more than being familiar with the interaction instead of a more intuitive wording. Some people will think the former is a gotcha, some will think it makes them clever masterminds. Only the ~clever masterminds~ side is insufferable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

liking weird interactions makes you an insufferable ~mastermind~, ok

cool

like if the change were done in a way that didn't kill this wacky sax deck I wouldn't give a poo poo

Technical writing is a cool and good field, imo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SoftNum posted:

"Sometimes it counts both CMCs and sometimes it only counts one" sounds way more like a "special case rule" than "It's always 6 if asked."

Game logic is game logic so can be done either way, but they should've gone all-in on either saying the split cards were explicitly different or explicitly both. Looks like they finally decided to make it both, so cards are sorcery+instant, 2+4, red+blue all across the board. I think this is an instance of this sort of card type being much better done on a computing platform instead of tabletop. Dual-cards that allow you to permanently choose the mode of the card would be great for Hearthstone/Shadowverse.

Also this is great since it means the wear/tear in my miracles deck isn't just the catch-all answer now and forces me to make a decision, much like how Mogg fanatic originally didn't force the user to make a decision but people thought they were clever for using it in the optimal way anyway.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

And why not? he thought. We're all in this for our own reasons. It's so drat messy—all of us, all our emotions and drives and goals.

He felt a cool hand on his arm, and he took a deep breath before looking down to smile at Nissa. Jace arched an eyebrow at him. Messy, Gideon thought again. He was young—probably closer to sixteen, Gideon figured—but he carried himself with poise and confidence. And the balance of a well-trained soldier, Gideon thought. Or maybe a dancer, he amended.

Look, I was going to pull out the choice bits and cobble together a Jace x Gideon fanfic out of this but then I looked at how long the page was.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

That isn't how planeswalkers work. It sits on the table and generates more card advantage as it sits there because you only pay for it once. If it blanks a creature for 2 turns that is already card advantage.

That creature really wasn't taken care of since it's still on the table too, ready to attack when a bigger bro comes in to take the debuff off.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DangerDongs posted:

How are they so bad at this. I really hope them moving people off this project was them admitting their designers were poo poo, and the next set won't be garbage.

What's the chance that the phyrexian cosplay guy got booted?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We really need a fist spell :negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cactrot posted:

And yet they are still both as distinct as poisonous and infect are to each other.

Yeah they're different but this crap should be smoothed out to make it more intuitive.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Is this your first main phase or the mysterious pre-combat step that you can only get to by saying the correct lingo.

No that's the future revisited Arabian set where Ali Baba must gain access to this mysterious phase man cave by using the magic words.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Inglonias posted:

What the heck is a "Desert" card? Is this another one of those teaser cards, like Dark Intimations?

A quick search revealed that the only card with a type called Desert is called... um... Desert. Printed in Arabian Nights.

They meant dessert card, like fruitcake elemental. Don't worry, it'll be a day 0 errata.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Firebatgyro posted:

I've tried to watch these the last couple of times but its full of people who are both not funny and not good at magic.

Siivola posted:

Well they keep inviting Wizards employees.
How could they not invite Rich Hagon? :eyepop:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Barry Shitpeas posted:

you might not care but others do
:stare:
Diegetic arguments are the worst.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

I wonder just how much money Hasbro has lost due to design incompetence in recent months, and if there ever are actually any repercussions for anyone involved.

Nah. As long as they keep Star Wars fans like me happy, they'll keep letting WOTC trudge along with whatever pittance it makes them. At this point, they should be trying to come up with another failed Star Wars TCG to combat the FFG one. Richard Garfield made the last one too and it was awful. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Siivola posted:

They... Haven't had any rights to Star Wars games since 2012, though?

Right, FFG has the license and it's more a jab at how bad at designing games Garfield can be. I mean look at MTG and how much they've had to improve it from the original iteration. :v: But the point is, they don't care since star wars and superheroes movies will be in for perpetuity and they'll keep selling those toys.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeroCount posted:

I hope you're not implying that Robo Rally isn't the pinnacle of tabletop gaming.
Look, the only factory floor board games I want to play are those where you optimize a system given certain inputs. With the output probably being something mundane like nuts and bolts sold with the highest markup. (food chain magnate is the pinnacle)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

They need to adapt to the change of times but WOTC has shown time and time again that they aren't that type of company.

Hey remember when they tried including cheevo cards with prerelease packs? What else do you want?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elyv posted:

funny that you mention that

if you finish all these you're supposed to be able to cash this in for a ~~full art foil basic~~

Can you turn these in (shred) for a loot box? That's what those loot packs are for, right?

e: yo trial of strength is accurate

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

whydirt posted:

It's true that sets weren't designed for drafting until a few years into the game, but Magic wasn't designed to have a competitive constructed tournament scene. Garfield thought most people would spend $25-50 on cards like it was a board game and they'd end up with roughly the equivalent of sealed decks.

Yeah, from what I hear about the early years, Magic should've been an LCG. They could've pioneered that type of game instead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

80s James Hetfield posted:

In a way yes and no. Of course playerbase and location have a big impact on that. Here in PA we still get 20+ for standard a week and as I said it's all kinds of decks. A few of the big 2-3, lots of 2nd tier things like Pummler, Reservoir and lastly brews. It makes standard here interesting because you see new things every week.

The scene is alive here, it's not a dumpster fire of low attendance. People aren't happy they can't play banned cards.

Call me stupid and crazy but I don't think a majority of the MTG playerbase follows, watches or even reads about the "pro sceneso when you tell some 16 or 17 year old kid who ripped a foil Copter or Emrakul out of his pack that he can't play it next week at FNM because it's banned due to the "pro scene" that drives people way from the game faster.

Yo, it's this:

The Shortest Path posted:

Decks like cat combo are especially egregious with regards to FNM stuff because all it takes is a couple grinders playing them to make all the kids who don't know better get consistently blown out and not know how to deal with it.

Kids with their tiny bit of allowance aren't going to keep blowing $5 of it out on FNM every week and getting curb stomped. If it's your typical college town or just an older crowd, sure whatever but kids are pretty important. Given the option I'll go to the LGS that's stuck behind more traffic for FNM and has kids play and is a family friendly environment than the grognard store that's closer. But that's all preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

C-Euro posted:

Seems like "Mesopotamia" would be too similar in flavor to our current Egypt world, especially for the same group of world culture rubes that didn't "get" what Kamigawa was trying to do with Japanese mythology. It would make for a cool setting if done right though.
At the prerelease:
I attack with my Quetz-, uh my Q bird! Oh wait I'll attach my eheca- uh the armor thing first! Nope you already declared attackers.

See you thought the joke was that the majority white kid audience of MTG wouldn't know how to pronounce the words but the joke is really that someone's attempting to gotcha a kid at a prerelease.

• Locked thread