Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The only thing that dragonshield has ever had an issue with was stickiness and the curl on new sleeves. None of this exists with the new dragonshield mattes.

I can't figure out any downsides to the mattes at this point. We have basically reached the pinnacle of sleeve technology outside of some kind of material that doesn't get dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I use hypermattes exclusively and I've never had a sleeve rip. I have sleeved and unsleeeved thousands of cards.

Well you have had fantastic luck.

They don't split anywhere near the level that the ultra-pro and other poo poo sleeves do but yes, kmc do rip consistently enough to have to bring spares to competitive events. I probably went through at least 12 packs of kmc hyper mats and can remember splitting them during competitive play at least 8 times in the last few years. From a quality standpoint, that is pretty loving great. The problem is that they are around the same price as the dragon shield mattes and dragonshields are impossible to break.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ramos posted:

Go sleeveless, it saves you money and puts a bunch of people on tilt all the time.

I am pretty sure going to your next pptq with a sleeveless jeskai black deck would be a sight to see.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

idk some sort of poo poo where some guy I've never heard of complained about the quality of the coverage team

Magic pros aren't really what you would call "celebrities" but following magic as much as you do and not knowing who Joe Losett is? That is a little confusing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am still surprised so many people are calling the leaks fakes. We live in a time where the real leaks outnumber the fake ones by a good margin. Its time to give MTGS leaks the benefit of the doubt folks.

Strange times we live in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Sure, but it is beyond stupid to prove your opponent is cheating by showing a judge how you can do it with your own deck. I really get nervous about mixing foil and non-foils. You can easily make a case that if you need a certain card, and know it is / is not a foil in your deck, that say fetching to change the top card of your deck is perfectly doable.

I was at an event I overheard two judges talking about a random deck check they did. Guy had 4 foil cryptic commands in his deck, the only foils. They took turns trying to cut to a cryptic, were able to do so consistently, so they issued some penalty. I can't recall what it was. I had a set of foil bolts and foil promo scoozes in my jund deck, I replaced them with all non-foils before GP Pitt because why take the risk?

Was this ever confirmed to be true or are we all parroting a reddit comment?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Please please let them print more interesting commons. Pauper loves weird design areas.

Commons don't make wizards money, sorry.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I had a night to myself and I spent some time looking for events on a Friday night. Found a random event called "win a case" a hour away and figured what the hell. Turns out the case was the prize support for the top 8. I won two boxes for a 10 dollar entry.

No deck lists and casual rules. My first opponent was playing with proxies for standard and my last opponent in the finals had at least a 30 card sideboard. Bizarre night.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

so lsv rage dropped out of scg denver because he lost his first game. lmao what a baby

I am pretty sure I saw him on camera in round 4. Are you sure he dropped?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Poor Tom Ross. That radiant flames got him a little misty eyed. Too bad he was one off lethal the previous turn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Alaan posted:

Ross has had horrific luck on stream recently. All 3 of his losses this tourney have been on camera.

Remember the last guy that always won except on camera?

Of course tom doesn't seem like a cheat but its at least humorous to remember.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Niton posted:

He just won on camera, too! He made top 8 thanks to it.

SCGDEN Standard Open Top 8: Logan Mize, Todd Anderson, Paul Bradford, Tom Ross, Lee Marino, Vikram Kudva, Joe Lossett, Zach Mandelblatt

How the hell did joe make it in? They spoke on camera like there was no way he could.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

We should mock everyone that cries "fake" as much as we mock those who speculate on magic cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Fetches with BFZ duals was a disaster the first time around I loving hope not.

Fetches and duals are fine. The problem is there not being a valid way to punish it. The "feel bads" is hurting good game design atm.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What could punish it that would be good but not aggressively good? Tec Edge and Enroaching Wastes are about it.

Ghost quarter? Although it would seem that it wouldn't even be good considering the chance of it locking someone out of a color would be slim. My choice would be fulminator mage, but at this point even the the decks you would hope to punish it with would run their own. Its definitely a hard question to answer, but its kind of a pointless considering oath and sets after it are already set in stone.

I just want power level to swing back in the other direction for a little bit. Little tired of almost all the staples being poo poo they printed years ago.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem with Bofas with fetches is that Bofas get better as the game progresses. Shocks at the very least always cost 2 life to come into play untapped.

Well, they are also worse on average in the early game which in theory was suppose to balance them out. The problem is that there isn't anything aggressive enough to make coming into play tapped a problem.

And jesus christ, ♦ was probably a waste of time to print but is going to have near to no affect on making anything more complicated.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I just feel like landfall kind of sucks with this card or not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

Nagle hates dredge which makes me dread him returning to set leads. I hope he gets therapy for his grave trolling. He really shouldn't burn his bridges with graveyard creatures, I hope he comes to some kind of breakthrough with that angle of design.

Um that said what the gently caress wizards the problem with your coverage was definitely that there was too much of it?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-tournament-video-coverage-2016-2015-12-08

oh maybe it's not all awful news:

I more excited about who they will be dropping more than who they will be adding. Brian David Marshall and Randy Buehler just need to stop.

little munchkin posted:

"This just isn't for you" - a really good thing for a publicly traded company to tell potential customers lol

Making your game worse to cater to these people is also not a great move.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Randy's great though.

Except he isn't.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

You're looking at it the wrong way. Split second means time is literally split. As in, in another timeline, this happened, and now you're using magic to manifest that reality.

That's why the art shows two versions of the same thing. For creatures, it means they've been there all along, and you just didn't notice.

Seems so. It's just like un-morphing something. You can't respond to the unmorphing, only effects triggered from the unmorphing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

whydirt posted:

What deck would Eddie Murphy play?

Here is a hint "black summer".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Christmas to myself just ordered on tcg player. My first deck I ever played in any serious way in high school.

Deck: Black Summer

//Lands
20 Swamp

//Spells
2 Contagion
4 Dark Ritual
4 Drain Life
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Necropotence
4 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Terror

//Creatures
4 Black Knight
4 Bottle Gnomes
4 Foul Imp
4 Hypnotic Specter

Display deck statistics

Putting together a red sligh from the same period as well. Trying to figure out the decklist. Maybe a quazi duel deck thing in the works.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 9, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

SaffronOlive stays winning with an Ensnaring Bridge/Blood Moon Anti-Fun Free Win deck (hint: he goes like 10-1)

It seemed to play against a lot of jank though. Would have been fun to see it played against some good decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem is that Ensnaring Bridge is a card that can't be beat by very many decks at all and combo'd with Blood Moon just causes a very quick soft-lock to the game. I think Bridge going to be banned sooner or later simply because there are so many decks that cannot ever beat it with any cards in their arsenal.

Ensnaring bridge is definitely a powerful card but banned? Really?

Actually these bridge/moon decks won't do anything but make maelstrom pulse more popular. Far from broken.

Hell, the deck seems pretty vulnerable to thoughtseize too.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 9, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

People will truly find a way to bitch about anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why isn't it possible to buy Expeditions on MTGO? Mtgowikiprice.com shows buyers but no sellers for the one's I've looked at. They seem to be buying Zen fetches for less than the original versions.

Edit: nm, MTGGoldfish lists them.

You can buy them less because they can't be redeemed. All cards that can't be redeemed are less.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

If they're going to print a better Ghost Quarter, this is the standard to do it in.

Like myself and other have said before, ghost quarter would be pretty weak in this standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So who is all eating crow today?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lancelot posted:

Who was Team USA this year?

United States Mike Sigrist Joel Sadowsky Tom Martell Neal Oliver

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

NivMizzet posted:

Design can probably be blamed for a lot that's wrong with this block, but at least Maro wanted to do the colorless symbol in BFZ but got voted down.

Seems to make sense to me. Print it when it becomes relevant. Piece of cake.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Eikre posted:

It was just as relevant before as any other template change that they've ever implemented. Tap changed to T and then to ⤵️ outside of a "physical positions matter" set and "Unblockable" became "Cannot Be Blocked" outside of an "unblockable matters" set. Implementing a diamond-shaped colorless mana symbol in a set with marquee colorless creatures stomping around diamond-shaped hedrons is perfectly apropos, even if it wasn't going to do anything yet.

I can't fathom why anybody would give this much of a poo poo about this. :bahgawd:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Few things make me want to turn off my ssg stream more than coming back from a break and seeing loving hunt subbing in for someone.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Matthias Hunt? What's wrong with him?

He isn't Cedric is mostly the problem.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Standard has had the shittiest turnouts for fnm in the last 6 weeks then i can ever remember. I think only a handful have fired in the Dfw area. It seems like I have to pay for ptq/iq to play standard. Bright side is cashing those events is about as easy as it gets right now.

Hopefully someone is paying attention in creative.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I think it also has to do with the cheapest t1 deck having a bad matchup against the two most expensive t1 decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Konstantin posted:

What deck other than Jeskai Black are you thinking of? I think Atarka Red has a good matchup against Esper Dragons.

Abzan is pretty expensive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

Sort of, I mean most if it you should already have if you were playing it before rotation. The only new expensive card is Gideon.

How does that have anything to do with how expensive a deck is? oh, and Gideon is basically the only money card in the set. If oath stays with the power trend Gideon isn't getting cheaper for a while.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 13, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Umm, wow

http://imgur.com/a/gke40

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Rest in Piss four-color standard.

Ha, someone doesn't understand expeditions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Is koz's return playable in tron over pyroclasm?

• Locked thread