Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then, without a type, by what mechanic does Wastes mane ♦?
The one they would create to make the card work, similar to the ones they make so that all the new cards work once they print them.

That's if this is in any way true, and I'm still lolling at Kozi having menace and then looking Pathrazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Allstone posted:

The same mechanic by which Bestowed Auras can't fizzle, I guess. Just a thing in the rules that says it does. I know people that were really annoyed about Bestow just having a weird clause that doesn't appear on any card.
Tbf compared to how bestow works I'm not sure how many people know the mechanics behind how basics work, so it'd be an easy switch from what we have to "all basic lands that don't have a basic land subtype produce {D}"

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

That, though, is based on Bestow.

Wastes producing ♦ is based on nothing. There isn't a mechanic providing it with the ability to make mana, and to make it able to produce ♦ means changing what happens when rules aren't there.

Which is weird as heck.
It'd be based around {D} symbol existing, same reason they had to add rules into the game making the Devoid mechanic work after they made the Devoid mechanic exist.

This really isn't the problem with the cards spoiled. They can change and add rules however they want, they do it just about every set to make their new mechanics work. The problem with Barry's Land archetypes in the past have been the other cards and mechanics they break by adding the new rules, and at least some of the suggestions for this mechanic break none, so this is a relatively easy addition (if possibly stupidly parasitic, who knows).

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

God if these actually exist I'm gonna have to buy a 100 of these aren't I.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

the biggest reason it's fake is that ♦ is a pretty drat big mechanic to be introducing in the small set. The third set problem's gonna be the second set problem.
Yeah seriously. I can think of reasons why this could be real life but everything I know about marketing tells me that you would probably want to lead with this.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are currently at least 20 in standard.
I want this mechanic to exist and for {D} to work with absolutely any colorless mana, so we get standard devoid aggro decks hedging on whether to have Ugin's Sanctum or Allied Encampment as their 21st land or something.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Thran Dynamo: Tap to add ♦♦♦ to your mana pool.

Actually, that's one of the better counterarguments I can think of for this being introduced now. Having the basic land only in small set is one thing, but it would seem really weird for the nomenclature about adding colorless to change in mid-block. If this is a new thing being introduced by the Eldrazi, then why do, like, the Blighted lands not produce ♦?
It could just be reminder text thing to help people understand what the hell D means in costs in the set.

Overall, we don't know. Everything made a lot more sense before Mirrorpool was spoiled, the D mana being produced just made things whack.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Fun facts about colorless mana: the highest amount of colorless mana explicitly produced by a card is {4} (Rosheen Meanderer, Scorched Ruins, and Su-Chi) and the highest amount of colorless mana that exists in an ability cost is 20 (Spawnsire of Ulamog), but there are none from 11-19.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Since the M15 frame change. Mythics didn't have an M next to the number before then either.
Then maybe this is a common? Who knows, they haven't printed alternative basics since then.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

They are really, really concerned about making the deck values uneven, because it causes huge issues with wholesale sales.

Unfortunately their solution this time seems to have been to print zero interesting cards.
You'd think the easier solution would be having one guaranteed money reprint per expansion to help equalize any price disparity that would come from an unbalance in the original cards, but what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Boco_T posted:

ORAT comes out of his 3 byes to be defeated on Affinity by WHITE BLUE HATE BEARS featuring heavy hitters like Meddling Mage and Judge's Familiar.
You're saying this like Meddling Mage isn't already a good legacy playable card and Judge's Familiar... okay Judge's Familiar is a bit eh but a force spiking flying man is exactly what a deck could want, don't hate.

• Locked thread