Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

You really can't afford to have a card that does nothing except for scry 2. Would you really pay 1UG: Scry 2, Fog?

If the same card said 6UG: smack someone in the face for 10, or 3UG: Scry 2, rip that Verdurous Gearhulk for free next turn, all at the same time?

Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only card that's a format staple is Flooded Strand, IMO.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

Guys, I just want you to know that if Nissa ends up seeing no play at the PT I'm going to link to all of you saying the card is amazing and draw a really bad MS Paint Told Ya So sign. I just want all of you to consider that before making any claims about this card being amazing, because I am not afraid to use my bad MS Paint skills to embarrass you.

There are other things than the immediate next Standard tournament you farting baby.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"You were wrong about a weird-AF two-color Planeswalker!" he screams from the rooftops as his diaper fills with yet more poop. "Your card evaluation was not flawless! This card did not immediately perform!" he yells to the thriving idiot masses as birds poop on him in turn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

Being able to talk about Magic the card game without people acting like you're trash for thinking a previewed card isn't just draft fodder?

gently caress that! I can't immediately see a list that plays 4 Nissa Seward maindeck so gently caress THIS GARBAGE CARD and YOU AS WELL.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Anyway by the way her staff is blocking the t, it kinda looks like Seward, so she's now blue because she bought Alaska.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

Now if you want to ask "why does Embalm add so many words to an already complicated flashback token mechanic just for the sake of flavor" that question's a lot harder to answer satisfyingly.

Because that flavor is awesome as heck, they're goddamn mummies holy hell.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Did you think Rhonas was just a god?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The best possible outcome for Hour of Devastation, plotwise, based on my limited knowledge of the plot (bolas is there, gatwatch is summoned, plane spoke to Nissa) is this:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That was 90% of what we did with Phantasmal Image in SOM/INN anyway, kill Geist and Thrun.

The other 10% was cloning titans and Rune-Scarred Demons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You can use Gideon's Intervention to make your own Pyroclasm not hurt your own team.

Cute!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Marketing New Brain posted:

I name Saheeli Rai Felidar Guardian tokens :smug:

They're named "Felidar Guardian" which isn't the name of an artifact card.

You can't even do it sassily.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I wish they'd move them to black so I could have the entire dungeon unit list in one color.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ShaneB posted:

ANOTHER beginning of combat question: AP has Surrak, the Hunt Caller on the board. AP says "combat?" If NAP does not want Surrak's ability to trigger, would NAP have to specify "Not yet. At the end of your main phase before beginning of combat step I cast [instant speed removal spell] on Surrak"? Or by NOT AGREEING to the request for "combat?" what is the NAP saying? What is the most correct way for NAP to remove Surrak without giving the AP priority back in the main phase to cast sorcery speed spells?

Agree so that it goes to declare attackers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

It could have just said "a creature" and been a cool variant of ftk

but no, it has to be a different creature, because...

Flametongue Kavu can only hit creatures and not players, and has to hit a creature so it will destroy itself on an empty board or kill another one of your guys if your opponent has none.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

I don't give a poo poo about limited

Mods?! Shouldn't this be ban-worthy?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I just realized...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PJOmega posted:

The card was probably originally worded "During your next end step you lose the game. End the turn. (Reminder text)"

But people kept wondering why they'd play it because people are apparently physically incapable of reading the card.

Well it does read dumb. "You lose at the end of turn (which you then do)".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

The game is complicated. I don't see the harm in it.

I'm an elitist asshat and I hate that I can't use bullshit rules to my advantage. My primary thought when I'm cumming is my opponent bolting my 2/3 goyf. I'm actually really bad at the game but I can memorize rules and try to use those to go 1-3 at the prerelease.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Looking at cards that were explicitly designed to work with Madness yet keep track of the information of the card like Wolf of Devil's Breach,

I don't think it's that much different from how some effects use the last known information of a creature that died, even though that exact game object no longer exists.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only real difference between story writing then and story writing now is that they post it on the website.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

so why doesn't this work the same way for Auras? they fall off, despite having resolved

Because abilities only care about the legality of the target at the time of resolution.

This card wouldn't work otherwise, as it gives the land the quality that restricts its targeting. It already barely does anything as is!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Ahtmonkey does have Dissenter's Deliverance, Manglehorn, and Forsake the Worldly, but doubt that's enough for Heart of Kiran.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

In a way yes and no. Of course playerbase and location have a big impact on that. Here in PA we still get 20+ for standard a week and as I said it's all kinds of decks. A few of the big 2-3, lots of 2nd tier things like Pummler, Reservoir and lastly brews. It makes standard here interesting because you see new things every week.

The scene is alive here, it's not a dumpster fire of low attendance. People aren't happy they can't play banned cards.

Call me stupid and crazy but I don't think a majority of the MTG playerbase follows, watches or even reads about the "pro sceneso when you tell some 16 or 17 year old kid who ripped a foil Copter or Emrakul out of his pack that he can't play it next week at FNM because it's banned due to the "pro scene" that drives people way from the game faster.

I'm glad you live in loving Arcadia, and judging by you, it's a place unspoiled by good players.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Copycat is primed and ready to use Essence Scatter, Reduce to Rubble, and Gideon's Intervention to protect the combo further, so it's not like it doesn't get anything out of the new set. Nissa Seward is good for it on paper, but I'm not sure it has the slots for it.

Real problem is still a lack of good removal, since even the best pieces in the set are still sorcery-speed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I love Injury far more than Insult, and I've been wondering if anything worth a hoot could put up with Insult to get Injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sensei's Diving Top is such a terrible game piece that it inspires unlikely heroes.

• Locked thread