Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So spoiler talk aside. I've stumbled onto the makings of a fun little format when trying to teach draft archetypes for BFZ.

40 card decks. Up to two of a common, uncommons are singleton. All cards must come from a single draftable pool (in this case BFZ) It's really caught on with the local playgroup AND improved their BFZ drafting.

If you were to attend a battle of the drafts tournament which was open to all legal sets from Onslaught out, what would you bring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Yeah I posted asking about draft combos. To my surprise the playgroup really enjoyed it!

Was worried about Spider Spawning myself but none of them have hinted at choosing INN.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wasn't there a knowledge pool freezout deck in Standard when INN was legal? Could have sworn I played it using whatever the Rule of Law curse was.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Geeks are dumb and like to complain. Sorry to spoil the end chapters of Reddit.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Of course Jace is going to be a Coolguy Sex-Haver while simultaneously being manipulated by a female.

Magic players are bad enough with tons of Epic Fantasy(tm) reinforcing their myopic worldviews. Did the world need another trope-ridden waste of trees laser focused on this demographic?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'd love to see a Flame's Journey. Same CMC as Treasure Cruise, but Red and dealing 4 damage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Please please let them print more interesting commons. Pauper loves weird design areas.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

Man that writing. Yea we get it they're black holes. Just the first and second sentences are fine.

"The shapes around his head seemed to have some sort really really dark quality to them, like if you fell into them the universe would like flash before your eyes, but you'd totally go really slow into them or something...they were definitely something that a famous wheelchair-bound physicist would write a book about."
"Like that Event Horizon movie," Gideon thought.

The Brandon Sanderson school of writing. Why describe something once when you can describe it six times a page?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Brandon Sanderson is cool and good and also I lost the one time I got to draft against him because Silumgar the Drifting Death is really hard to stop :colbert:.

Don't get me wrong, I like his world building, and if you glaze over every third repetition of things like "flaring her [metal] his style is at least sound. But he's very much the modern embodiment of paid-by-the-word Fantasy Doorstopper author. It wasn't by accident his style was selected to finish out Wheel of Time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
All I want for Christmas is "Pollute Delta," a 1D enchant land that turns the land into a Wastes and spawns an Eldrazi Scion.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It would have made sense. Implement C in BFZ with reminder text and hint cards "C is colorless mana. (1) can be paid with any mana or colorless mana." Let that soak in over a set. The for the beginning of spoiler season they simply post new Kozilek, mic drop. Walk back on stage, show Wastes, mic drop again.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It also hates Devoid! Don't forget that the colorless mechanic and the colorless mechanic don't work well together. Which by extension gets Processors as all ingesters are devoid cards and nothing in true colorless below 7 mana exiles. {c}-cards are gonna have to do a lot of work to get over being bad with colorless cards. Converge is just part of it; Kozilek's Chaneller and Hedron Archive and Pilgrim's Eye are the only spells in BFZ that cost less than 6 mama and don't oppose colorless-only, because the rest are colored or punish colorless.

This is going to be dumb.

BFZ is also going to be 1x whereas the new set, a small set, is going to be 2x. Give it a rest Chicken Little.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Cactrot posted:

This just occurred to me, is the judge being an employee whose only job at the store is being an events coordinator an anomaly?

Yes. Think about it, even assuming minimum wage that means an employee is on the clock for 4 hours on a Friday night. That's $32 gone from whatever profit running that tournament was going to bring the store. A good TO who does event promotion and can herd a gaggle of gamers well enough to justify doing only that should be getting more than minimum wage because they're remotely competent, so say $40.

A draft pod at $15 a head is basically paying $120 for a booster box that runs most stores around $85 (assuming 12 prize packs). So that's $35/8 players profit. A constructed tournament that has higher than a 20% rake ($5 buy-in, $4 into prize pool) would be ludicrous but even saying $1.50 "off the top" you'd need 21 players to justify a dedicated TO.

There's a reason most stores are staffed by the owner, volunteers, and college kids.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

There's no way the margins are actually that thin on a facility that has to pay rent and utilities, even assuming the owners didn't need to do things like pay themselves salaries or eat.

They're that thin on events. Hence why you don't have an employee there to run only events (typically). You need someone who will run the till, manage inventory, do whatever miscellaneous duties are needed around the store. Someone who isn't selling sleeves and dice and singles is for most stores someone who is actively costing you money.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's their profit assuming those eight players were each going to buy 4.5 packs anyhow and crack them even if no draft were taking place. But they wouldn't.

The profit is in moving more packs.

Of course that's the case. But you don't need a dedicated staffer to facilitate a FNM draft. For the organizer to be worth it, they have to be bringing in enough extra people to justify him or her.

As it is, they're basically selling a box at full price over a period of 4 hours.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Symphonie posted:

Also allegedly someone else is saying that the demon translates as "lose 4 life if you don't have 4 card types"

Leak season is even harder than spoiler season to know what's true!

For the health of standard I really hope it is "Lose 4 if you don't." The idea of an unanswered demon just sitting there gaining 4/turn is a bit silly.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

That confusion didn't exist until they invented ♦ as a casting restriction that is no different from any other 6th color implementation and is completely mechanically identical to color restrictions. Until the ♦ symbol showed up in a casting cost there was literally no functional difference between using generic mana in a colorless spell versus using colored mana as generic.

I think it's dumb as hell for a gimmicky "colorless" mechanic that doesn't need to exist and offers very little to the game, but thankfully maro had some post where he admitted it's a dumb mechanical gimmick for the set and not some actual forward-moving evergreen design tool (not as colorfully as I did, but he said it's an OGW mechanic and we won't see wastes in future sets).

Just think. Instead of posting this for the twentieth or so time you could have done something else. Wouldn't that be amazing?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I just started playing magic at my local store again after a hiatus. I love limited, drafting specifically, and was impressed with the Battle For Zendikar set.

However, my LGS does a thing called "rare redrafting" which I didn't realize, and ended up missing out on the foil Gideon, Ally of Zendikar I opened.

Why would anyone do rare redrafting?

Theoretically to reduce the cost while still providing prize support. For instance, a $10 draft would have about a dollar per player put into the prize pool. That's, well that's pretty lousy. With rare redrafting EVERYBODY WINS. Everyone gets a chance at cards, everyone walks away with 3+ rares. Also it allows players to draft optimally according to their deck rather than chase $$$.

In reality, because god knows having your prize support be reliant on player honesty and total lottery seems like a great idea to some players. Because a kid opening a foil money rare doesn't _deserve_ that card and won't place high enough to keep it (sarcasm). Because Magic players are a masochistic lot.

For what it's worth, I'm in the camp that rare redrafting is stupid. ESPECIALLY in a set with Expeditions. Honestly wish that WotC would simply state that sanctioned events can't have rare redrafting. That said, unless they declared redrafting loudly and clearly before pack 1 was opened and/or during signups I'd have politely but firmly said no when they stated to turn in the rares. Because had you known it you would have been wholly justified in saying "I drop" with your $40 foil rare.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

little munchkin posted:

I've never actually been to a keep draft do people actually do this?

Only time people will drop from a draft normally is when they open a pack that's something like Gideon & Expedition. Otherwise you draft the card that's worth more than entry and pass the rest. Only time you'd drop with only one money card is from a redraft, because per WotC you own the cards that are in your hand.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jace isn't broken, it's a beautiful baby and Magic deserves more cards like it, not less

What they should actually apologize for is making a lovely standard around the cool, fairly powered card

Yeah. Making interesting cards is a good thing. The problem arises when the interesting cards are fewer in number and significantly more powerful than their next closest replacement.

The world doesn't need another french vanilla 5/5 for 2GG sitting in the rare slot.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'd be fine with them making the format exclusively "printed at common in paper" and adding Sinkhole and Hymn to the banned list. Online loses what, Battle Screech and Chainers?

Vintage Masters and Tempest remastered feel closer to holiday cube than real sets.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

A CoCo deck passing the turn with four mana up should be a pretty big tell as to what their plans are for your combat step.

True, but even the CoCo player doesn't know what their creature play will be in the combat step.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there any reason besides $$$$ they couldn't print Uncommon etbt typed duals?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
To draw from the Ban List chat, what tournaments are giving out that gorgeous Mucha-esque playmat someone shared earlier in here?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
On non-basic punishment, why can't we have things like Anathemancer in Standard? It doesn't fall into the feel bad camp of not letting you play cards like Blood Moon.

Or how about a Broken Moon, "when this enchantment comes into play target opponent chooses a basic land type. All non-basic lands become that land."

Or a 1C "Spreading Wastes." Spreading Seas was so much fun!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

It got called weird earlier but Errant Gin Monks is literally being that guy who is angry about Smash 4 not having wavedashing.

I understand where you're coming from, EGM, but they just aren't going to reprint FoW at uncommon

Don't think anyone is saying FoW should have been an Uncommon. It could have been a rare. But it is a mythic and magic thread gotta bitch about coulda-shoulda-woulda.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Got a link to Card Kingdom's upcoming Pauper tourney? Can't find it on the scroll.

Also I thought they were banning High Tide & Hymn?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The Pauper GB Delve deck mentioned a page or so back is likely some variant of Tortured Existence, aka my favorite deck if only GB could protect Tortured Existence.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Yes the Pauper community and it's obsession with trying to make "Dead Dog" a thing certainly is baffling.

It's a fun deck to pilot that is eternally a solid tier 2 deck due to the reliance on Tortured Existence and vulnerability to GY hate.. If there is ever another Tortured Existence effect at common (there won't be) or a Green creature with EtB "Return target (set of cards including Enchantments) to your hand/top of deck" (might get printed) it might make it up to Tier 1.5.

Hell, with Innistrad coming up maybe we'll see a Madness Eternal Witness at common (really, really doubt it).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

A Green 2/1 for 3G that has madness 1G and "When ~this card~ enters the battlefield, if its madness cost was paid, you may return target card from a graveyard to its owner's hand/the top of the owner's deck" would be a mythic in your view?

Using Grave Scrabbler as the example.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It was a Pyroclasm joke.

Whoosh, flew right past me. My bad.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
There's also the feelbad of doing land-go to flip one or more werewolves being countered by an instant EoT.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Reminder text isn't always a reliable indicator of rules, but they're clear enough, and they wouldn't use the word "when" in the reminder text if it wasn't a triggered ability that could be responded to. I imagine, coming from a set with processors, they would have found a way to have madness not be a triggered ability if they were able to. Magic rules are hard to work with sometimes.

Awaken reminder text doesn't really convey what happens if the spell is countered. It looks to be an on cast rider.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

field balm posted:

Anything relevant for pauper spoiled yet?

The sac-chantment cycle is at common and could see play, there's a 3/5 black arrogant wurm at common. Nothing else caught my eye right away.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

clamiam45 posted:

Got my 8 digit DCI number back from 2002, now time to get ready for my first paper pre-release in years! :coolfish:

8 digits was 2002? Wow I feel old.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sirius Sam posted:

Played at a new store today

I'm going to guess mechanic. Hoping mechanic. Otherwise am gonna go be sick.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

e: wait, that's literally how it works already, I was thinking of Netrunner

Even ANR finally permitted IDs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

anglachel posted:

I haven't heard a good reason why "highest life total takes the game" if your in turns is a bad idea.

Also I have been personally scummed by people abusing the draw rules. There is a guy who sponsors about 4 of his friends at every prerelease/game day/pptq, and they give all the prize they get to him. Without fail if they go 1 win, 1 loss against a deck where they feel it's a bad matchup, their play starts to become glacially slow and they try to force a draw.

That's slow play, not playing towards a draw.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I'm shocked they finally came around to allowing concessions. That was the dumbest rule.

I haven't played in awhile and am a little terrified to check rulings. They went through some hoops out of a combination of ignorance and wanting to distance themselves from "other card games."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
A lot of MtG players are self professed "smart" people who, surprise, haven't had that brilliance reflected elsewhere in their lives. Instead, their genius manifests in better-than-average-but-not-stellar performance at a low stakes card game. Therefore they need to at least assuage their dissonance with statements about "variance" making them lose.

• Locked thread