Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

WHITE BLUE HATE BEARS featuring heavy hitters like Meddling Mage and Judge's Familiar.

Need list TIA :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Oh poo poo. Turbo Turns about to be on camera. :woop:

What deck is this?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Samael posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppit15/day-2-metagame-breakdown-2015-11-22

Here's the day 2 breakdown.

EDIT: 1 copy of blood dragon!? what the gently caress is that

I wish this had decklists so I could see some of the weirder stuff. Did anyone ever get a decklist for that UW Hatebears list? Asking for a friend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

I played against the guy randomly at a side table, but all I can tell you is that Thalia is really good against cheerios!

It was a cool deck. Maindeck meddling mages, sky hussar, thalia, and vryn's wingmare if I recall.

e; He was also super nice!

Judge's Familiar too, I thought I saw someone say? Hopefully it will pop up somewhere online.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppit15/top-8-decklists-2015-11-22

Haven't seen this posted yet. Wescoe's GW aggro list is my jam and it's nice to see some bears do well at a big event. Other interesting standout is the Titan Scapeshift list, with 4 khalni heart expeditions and 2 Commune with Lava of all things.

9th-32nd are up as well, highlights include Naya Burn with 4x Monastery Mentor and a Grixis Control deck running two copies of the Nalaar parents :eyepop:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheLawinator posted:

must be misentered since i assume that's swiftspear.

Yeah I was wondering about that, but I wonder if Mentor has a case for being included in Burn. Seems like generating pseudo-Swiftspears would be a nice curve-topper, though Bolt-Bolt-Bolt is probably a better turn 3 play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
No Wastelands, Ancient Tombs instead. Also it runs Chalice of the Void, which is hilarious with Cavern of Souls.

It's a fun deck that has more game than you might expect, it's too bad I traded away all of my Caverns before I decided to build the deck (and before they got expensive).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Eh, Magic plots for the past several blocks have all been "follow planeswalkers around as they fix poo poo" so I don't really care if they slap a (lovely) name on the group. Now if this means we're locked into Jace/Chandra/Nissa/Gideon anytime the Gatewatch is involved, that will be boring and disappointing as gently caress. At least rotate some of the cast members in and out every now and then.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

I like that some Planeswalkers are actually working together now rather than just loving around in the Multiverse willy-nilly, but at a certain point I wouldn't mind going back to 'regular' people; the stories eventually get less compelling because none of the characters are relatable.

I want a walker who couldn't give two shits about their powers and who just wants to be left alone to lead a normal life, but keeps getting dragged into things. Sort of like original Alara Elspeth before they turned her into reverse Midas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure Liliana is joining that dumb group. Maybe not in Oath, but she's showing up sooner or later, despite the fact that Sorin explicitly makes more sense as the Black Planeswalker in that group.

I feel like they're setting up for Liliana to die or undergo a large shift in character/base color, but that's probably reading much further into UR stories than is sane or reasonable. Maybe she will pop up in Innistrad 2?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If it's going to be another graveyard themed set then I'm still waiting for my Threshold revival :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

I would think it has the same problem as Delve when they looked at it in innistrad, interacts badly with Flashback, which is more likely to return.

Counterpoint: being able to switch Threshold on and off with stuff like Flashback would make for some cool gameplay decisions, especially if they printed Threshold effects that are more than just "now this card is better". It's probably "too complex for Standard" or whatever, sadly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Do not Twiddle kids,
It's no good Twiddlin' kids...

Anyway, I posited a question in the Eternal thread that might be better off here in the main thread: we all know the Power 9, but what do you think would be included in the B-list Power 9? What are the next nine most powerful cards in the game (assuming that Timetwister is as good as the rest of the Power 9)? We were thinking stuff like Sol Ring, Time Vault, Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth's Will, maybe Tinker, etc.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 3, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never has Gerrard's Verdict been stronger in legacy

I remember reading a story years ago about a guy taking down a big event with 4c Zoo or something in Extended where this card played a key role in some crucial round. Event coverage asks the guy why he was running such an obscure card, and he says it's because his name is Gerrard. I wish I could find the article, it was on the mothership and it always stuck with me as such an awesome reason for a deckbuilding decision. It may have been Fabiano, I can't remember.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 3, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Nobody ever comes to Pittsburgh. :sigh:

I would if I lived on that side of PA! The only store here in Philadelphia that does more than EDH is on the opposite side of the city, and lol at trying to drive there at 6 on a weeknight. I finally have the money (and maybe even the time) to play this dumb game but no one with whom to play :sigh: Any other Philly Magic goons in this thread who can lend a hand?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GeneX posted:

People vastly underrate cost-reductions in general

Cost-reduction is an easy concept to abuse and/or break in general, just look at Affinity, Delve, Phyrexian mana etc. You might even be able to consider Storm as a kind of cost-reduction since it lets you cast a given spell multiple times for less than it would if you were just casting multiple copies of the same card from your hand. A while back I had a whole thesis dreamed up in my head about how anything that skirts the in-game economy of "you can't get more value out of a card than what you put in" is going to eventually be broken under the right circumstances, but I forgot most of it (and also realized I shouldn't be putting this much thought into a card game for babies). I don't even know if that's the right way to describe what I'm talking about.

E: Cascade too! Or at least Value All-Star BBE.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 4, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hyper genesis hasn't been putting up numbers at no ban modern. Must be too much of a known factor.

It's hands down the best goldfish deck I think.

Does it just play out like a Modern Sneak & Show, AKA "ramp into spell that cheats a huge fuckoff creature into play"? Seems like it might be a little more difficult than that since you can't run any cheap ramp for fear of hitting it with Cascade.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bugsy posted:

I could easily see mystic fetching Cranial Platings.

I'll admit I'm not super familiar with Modern Affinity, but I feel like there are better things for it to do on turn 2 besides dropping a non-artifact, 1-power creature. Is Cranial Plating run in anything besides Affinity?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

Banning terminus fixes miracles. It was never a t1 deck until miracles were printed

I'd even go so far as to argue that there wasn't a deck called Miracles before the Miracles mechanic was printed :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

Counterbalance existed in several forms beforehand, which is what I was referring to, obviously.

:edi:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Picking up/Playing Extra lands is always going to be abusable. So yes, i agree. IDK if Scapeshift is where it fits though.

Are there many decks in Modern that care about repeated land drops besides Scapeshift? I could maybe see utility cases where you tap a land, bounce it, then replay and tap that land again for some extra mana (especially with something like a Tron land) but that doesn't seem worth the effort. I can't think of many Modern playables with Landfall, and while Amulet Bloom likes to drop lands into play it has its own weird specific goal without much wiggle room.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Return to dominaria

This but unironically.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

This deck is hilarious, but people need to stop posting rogue Modern brews because I want to build them all :argh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone please repost Kozilek 2 because I'm on my phone and too lazy to dog back through the thread for it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This seems on its face to be such a fundamental change (even though older colorless mana producers will still function the same way) that I wonder if this was supposed to be in BFZ originally. It seems like a weird thing to put in a small set especially when Wizards has admitted that the BFZ block was rushed due to the changing block structure, but we will see!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

born on a buy you posted:

misdirection, swords, brainstorm, all of MM2, exploration, etc all reprinted in last year but there is no way that wotc could reprints cards and not put them in standard.

Stifle, Pernicious Deed, and Spiritmonger too!

I wish Spiritmonger was playable, that card blew my mind when it was first printed :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Frozen_flame posted:

Speaking of, he and Patrick are commenting on Sam Black playing Pyxis of Pandemonium in Modern.

I've seen Pyxis in Lantern Control decks as Ghoulcaller Bells 5-8, the first time I played against it I made a very grog-y guy really made when I exiled a card to it face-up instead of face-down.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

also, surge is a hella cool mechanic

Agreed, it reminds me of a "fixed" Storm that I thought of a while go. I'll bet they'll be really gunshy about printing any Surge costs of 2 or less though, I doubt they want Storm to come back in force.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wait, Strip Mine's not on the Reserve List? Also I can't wait for the one expedition I ever open to be a Tec Edge :negative:

Fiend Computer posted:

holy poo poo dust bowl wasteland and tectonic edge reprints.

edit: holy poo poo is that the fabled good chandra? that zero seems fantastic.

I'd be in love if she was five mana, six just seems a little too slow for what she brings to the table. I do like the -X ultimate though, making that a variable cost is a neat idea.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

What's the joke here (if there is one)?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ensnaring Bridge is drat good in a format deliberately based around combat and getting all of the cards out of your hand for ~value~ so this doesn't surprise me too much. I also don't know if a control deck in Modern could be oppressive enough to get a card like this banned so I hope there's room in your SB for artifact removal!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think a lot of that is because Magic, having practically invented the TCG/CCG format, has the ~prestige~ to get away with a lot of that stuff (or at least thinks they do). Everyone who's into card games knows Magic, and their business model still appears to be a wild success for them. Until another game can challenge them in the physical space I don't think a lot will change, though if Hearthstone has the legs people say that it has (I've never played it) then you might see MTGO change in response, which I know a lot of people are hoping for.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nothing on this card feels like it goes with anything else on the card, but somehow it's still pretty cool.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm thinking Crackling Doom is good with this, or Kolaghan's Command. The option to return a creature from the yard to hand seems like there could be a lot of value in a graveyard/recursion strategy. I'm liking the prospective Mardu control deck I'm envisioning.

No I mean nothing on the card really matches with anything else on the card. Like, it's a large Goblin with Menace that also acts like a sometimes-better Snapcaster but only on your turn? Also the goblins don't have eyes?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
D but also throw the deck in the garbage after you're done like I had an opponent do in the semis of a Modern tourney (it was a proxy event and his deck was 100% proxy)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Caleb Durward wrote an article on cards they could print into Modern, seemed like an interesting topic:
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/one-crazy-idea-to-improve-modern/

I think Baleful Strix and Cabal Therapy could show up sometime when a set permits it (colored artifact and flashback) Goblin Lackey why not? I guess it comes down to if you think they should print stuff to elevate archetypes. Something like Council's Judgement could work but probably reworded to not use the voting mechanic, just something like you and your opponent destroy a target permanent each.

Don't think I'm comfortable with Force of Will mind, or rather the sort of games it would lead to, but it's hard to say

Reminds me, was Scavenging Ooze the first card to be printed from a supplementary product into Modern?

Some of these could be fun but some of them seem kind of random. I don't think Therapy would be as effective in Modern without a strong combo presence. Also Aluren is one of those cards that I look at and wonder why it isn't banned, it seems like it would be super-broken with the creatures currently being printed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Are the Expeditions our Christmas preview, wrapped in passive-aggressive bow?

Looking at their website, I think that's the case.

Merry Christmas fellow nerds, if anyone forgot to get me a gift I could use a Cavern of Souls playset ;)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

I used some of my Xmas Money to finish an EDH Deck. I feel so giddy about it.

This is what Xmas is all about. Buying cardboard with other people's money.

I didn't get any money for cards but I got a knife block, maybe I can threaten people like that dude with his LGS glock :ese:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Jori En really makes me want to splash red in Merfolk, as bad as that is.

Like it's a horrible idea but I really want to try that horrible idea. You know, because casting spells in Merfolk isn't a thing after so long and Aether Vial isn't casting.

You can cast it with Cavern of Souls so you at least don't have to dilute your mana base for it? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress.

My brother, who has never played Magic in his life, dropped a reference to the Seance buyout when we were both home over Christmas. This game and everything surrounding it is loving dumb.

• Locked thread