Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If this is real, I really hope they use it well. I don't want another Snow Mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GeneX posted:

My one issue with the idea of using "colorless only" as cost reduction is that it has a good chance to break mana accelaration decks in older formats

I mean, probably not because those tend to actually be prison decks, but still

They just restricted Chalice of the Void in Vintage and that deck sucks in Legacy, they can toss it a bone.

Lancelot posted:

Dzyl (http://www.twitch.tv/dzyl) is currently drafting an absurd March of the Machines + Jeskai Ascendancy + mana artifacts deck in the new cube. He is so amazing. :allears:

Mull to 6 on the play, keep a hand where the only land is Azorius Chancery :negative:

edit: ahahaha his opponent helpfully saying "you need to play a different land first"

and his opponent assembles a loving Mindslaver + Yomiji, Who Bars the Way combo. This is the best

Chamale fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lancelot posted:

Dzyl (http://www.twitch.tv/dzyl) is currently drafting an absurd March of the Machines + Jeskai Ascendancy + mana artifacts deck in the new cube. He is so amazing. :allears:

Everyone should watch this. He just went off with March of the Machines and Jeskai Ascendancy and Legacy Weapon to exile his opponent's entire board, except Teysa Envoy of Ghosts because she has protection from creatures and the Legacy Weapon had become a creature. It's amazing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PJOmega posted:

So spoiler talk aside. I've stumbled onto the makings of a fun little format when trying to teach draft archetypes for BFZ.

40 card decks. Up to two of a common, uncommons are singleton. All cards must come from a single draftable pool (in this case BFZ) It's really caught on with the local playgroup AND improved their BFZ drafting.

If you were to attend a battle of the drafts tournament which was open to all legal sets from Onslaught out, what would you bring?

Did you post about this before? I feel like it's come up. The answer is Mirrodin Block.

2 Ancient Den
2 Darksteel Citadel
2 Great Furnace
2 Island
2 Seat of the Synod
2 Swamp
2 Tree of Tales
2 Vault of Whispers

1 Ornithopter
2 Disciple of the Vault
2 Arcbound Worker
2 Arcbound Stinger
2 Frogmite
2 Somber Hoverguard
2 Myr Enforcer

2 Chromatic Sphere
1 Skullclamp
2 Bonesplitter
2 Cranial Plating
1 Genesis Chamber
1 Tooth of Chiss-Goria
2 Thoughtcast

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some Numbers posted:

No Shrapnel Blast?

It's tough to support, the deck only has 4 sources of red mana, and it's more important to play Disciple of the Vault, Thoughtcast, and Somber Hoverguard. If the mana can support red, I'd cut Tooth and an Arcbound Stinger to add Shrapnel Blast and Atog.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellsau posted:

Innistrad would be incredible, since you get every power uncommon for the mill deck and a guaranteed Spider Spawning + Memory's Journey + Runic repetition, plus two each of Mulch, Dream Twist, Forbidden Alchemy, Gnaw to the Bone, and Armored Skaab. Aggro decks don't appreciate it when you pay 2G to gain 14 life.

What list would you build?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Niton posted:

The Fortress Crabs feel like they should be something else, but I can't think of another defensive creature to fit the slot. Maybe Kessig Recluse?

A Falkenrath Noble and a Tower Geist?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

What about Trinket Mage? Having two extra copies of your Skullclamp seems ridiculous to me, and in pseudo-limited I don't think that throwing off the curve is that big of a deal. It can also get a few decent second choices if you draw the Skullclamp.

Great idea, thank you! I took out one Bonesplitter and Tooth of Chiss-Goria to add the Trinket Mages. I've been running the Mirrodin deck against the Innistrad deck, Spider Spawning can occasionally win by clogging the board and milling but the matchup clearly favours Affinity.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

This deck seems like it would be better without helix pinnacle and just won with lands.

Every way to win with Helix Pinnacle has a better alternative.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The problem with Spectral Chaos is everything is so drat complicated. I'm a rules advisor and I'm sure Limited with that set would confuse me badly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

This card is like power 9 busted.

There's also a mox that taps for colourless mana. Basically another copy of Mox Emerald for most Vintage decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sigma-X posted:

Crossposting

No banlist, planes and conspiracies themselves are not allowed, however.

I don't think there's a reason for a banlist because there isn't enough affinity to make the artifact lands problematic and I don't think TNN will be oppressive in a format that has a million sweepers.

I'm in. Making brews. This format reminds me of pre-ban Mirrodin, it's so stupid that it's a great argument for banlists.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

So close, yet so far

Static Dwarf is a really appropriate name for a modal ability with only one option. That would be a hilarious card for an Unset.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That was a boring Miracles mirror, but I have a lot of respect for Dan Musser for playing fast even when he stopped the game for a while and would have drawn instead of losing if he had been a little slower.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Hey who wants to guess they were going to have one Eldrazi titan in each set of the block but then they switched to the two block paradigm and were like well poo poo

You know what I'd love to see? Kozilek comes back in OotG, then we go to the next block, and in the second set of that block Emrakul attacks. I like Magic's villains, Phyrexia's attack on Mirrodin was cool, I'd like to see more of that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

alansmithee posted:

Also everything I read about Time Spiral block makes it seem like the best set ever. Even if it wasn't a major release, I'd still love to see more stuff like that. Alternate frames, crazy color pie breaking stuff, random mechanics that may/may not ever show up again, etc.

It was the best set ever to the kind of person who posts about Magic on the internet during their spare time. To someone who plays Magic casually, it didn't go over well.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Next power nine is fun but top sure as hell isnt on it.

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Balance Bazaar of Baghdad

Good list, except Balance. Bazaar of Baghdad is one of the pillars of Vintage, it belongs on any list of the "Second Power 9".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

C-Euro posted:

Cost-reduction is an easy concept to abuse and/or break in general, just look at Affinity, Delve, Phyrexian mana etc. You might even be able to consider Storm as a kind of cost-reduction since it lets you cast a given spell multiple times for less than it would if you were just casting multiple copies of the same card from your hand. A while back I had a whole thesis dreamed up in my head about how anything that skirts the in-game economy of "you can't get more value out of a card than what you put in" is going to eventually be broken under the right circumstances, but I forgot most of it (and also realized I shouldn't be putting this much thought into a card game for babies). I don't even know if that's the right way to describe what I'm talking about.

There's a theory that everything has a certain mana value, and the player who gets the most value is the one who wins. Something like Tarmogoyf is good because a 4/5 on the curve is 4.5 mana, so you're getting value - it's an extra 2.5 mana for just 1G. Healing Salve doesn't get played because gaining 3 life for a card is such a bad effect it's worth less than 0 mana.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm trying to make a competitive Wild Pair Legacy deck. Are there any two 1/1 (or 0/2) creatures that combo together better than Devoted Druid and Quillspike? Those two give me an infinitely big creature, but it doesn't have evasion, and I need to wait a turn to attack. Suggestions?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I think you'll first have to abandon the Wild Pair idea or the hope of being competitive.

OK by "competitive" I mean I'll be playing it in a player-run tournament that rewards players for winning in weird ways. This is the same event where I once made bank with Dream Halls + Conflux because it allowed me to win in alternative ways such as Barren Glory, Near-Death Experience, Laboratory Maniac, and Phage the Untouchable.

Tribal Apocalypse if anyone else wants to get in on this fun, it's every Saturday at 1700 GMT.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sigma-X posted:

it's a lot less oppressive now that Dig is gone. I don't think it is actually oppressive, and didn't think it it needed to be kneecapped, but I still think terminus is the card to kill over top. there's a hundred bad decks that want to run top, plus one good deck. there's zero bad decks that want to run terminus, and one good deck.

I don't think killing top adds variety to the meta.

My Thought Lash deck is a lot weaker without Top.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

"Rack" at least has some sort of explanation as slang for breasts, even if you'd have to be a hilarious parody of a puritan to think about adding it to a word filter on that basis. I literally cannot think of what the explanation for "chief" could be.

Chief is a condescending nickname for Native Americans. The censor must have a very long list. It also restricts Cockatrice because it's a program used to play Magic without giving Wizards money, but that also happens to be the name of a Magic card!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sigma-X posted:

This change is completely non-functional except for the BRAND NEW SUPER COLORLESS CARDS which will be gimmick that will never affect anyone who isn't playing Tron / 12 Post or possibly the terrible format that is standard right now.

That's a bold prediction, since we've only seen one Diamond spell spoiled so far. Maybe there will be some pushed spells that are seriously worth splashing for.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mandatory lesbian posted:

please let this mean wasteland is gonna be reprinted, it even fits flavorly!

"Wasteland your Waste Land."

"Nope, can't do that."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Do we have data on the number of Wastelands on MTGO? I'm wondering if expedition Wastelands could be a notable percentage of those since OGW is going to be opened far more than Tempest or Tempest Remastered were.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I gotta agree with Sigma-X that diamond cards don't excite me yet. So far, every card with a diamond in its cost is just blue by another name. We have countering, cloning, and card draw, which are all blue effects. Where's the new designs?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Death Bot posted:

we've also got enough mana to just cast remand twice if they have a remand of their own.

When you remand a spell that's cast with Flashback, the spell is still exiled.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

For anyone who's worried about Han Solo, that FYAD title is a joke based on a post from like 10 years ago about George Lucas dreamcrushing a young fan by telling him Han and Chewie died after the sixth movie. Lowtax did not get to preview Star Wars VII to help him own goons.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Holy loving poo poo. I designed a card almost exactly like this as my dream card. It fits right into Breakfast Burrito, flashback a Haunting Misery with it for a clean targeted kill.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yawgmoth posted:

I think they should make a format where the ban list is "literally every card over $10 TCG mid" and see what happens.

Heirloom is an online format that's basically that. No mythics above 1.50 tix, no rares above .50, no uncommons above 0.25, no commons above 0.13.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reminds me of the time I activated Cursed Scroll naming Liliana, and randomly revealed Liliana of the Veil from my hand. My opponent said I hadn't uniquely identified which Liliana I meant. The judge was sitting nearby and told him to gently caress off. Of course, that's regular REL with a store full of people who know each other. I honestly think Borborygmosgate was handled properly because of the stakes involved, but it's an unfortunate situation. I think Borborygmos is literally the only character with two Modern-legal cards one of which is just his first name.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

little munchkin posted:

Clearly it was the quarterback's intention to throw the ball to his teammate. Everyone on both teams knew it too, so intercepting the ball and running the other way with it is such a scumbag move.

Pithing Needle rules lawyering is more like the wrong ball trick*, except when that gambit goes wrong you have the satisfaction of watching the quarterback get tackled by a linebacker twice his size.

*Quarterback starts calmly walking off the field with the ball, hoping the defense won't realize that play is live, then runs for the end zone.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pictured: An evil and illegal copyright violation that I committed when my buddies were having an unsanctioned tournament a few years ago. I'm a counterfeiter!

On that note, since I'm already on WotC's poo poo list:

I just bought two Vintage decks from a nice man in China.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

You should be a cool dude and mark those in some way so that no one can use them at some point to try and rip someone off.

The chinese fakes in my cube all have "Fake" written on the back in Sharpie so that no one can try to rip someone off if I sell my cards or otherwise lose them.

Yeah, I'm going to do that. These dudes are sketchy, their first email responding to my inquiries was asking if I'd like to sell counterfeits for profit. But I'm not worried about being defrauded because I'm paying through Paypal, so if they try to rip me off I'll get my money back.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That deck looks sweet but I'm not a fan of Wild Nacatl in a deck with Bust and Blood Moon. Have you tested cutting those for a fourth Blood Moon and three more mana dorks?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I know it's a one-of, but this card really doesn't line up with the rest of your plan. Maybe you want Oust?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

anglachel posted:

Unless I'm missing something Flagstones seems like a pretty good card just in general if your running heavy white. I mean it ramps you every turn you play another one.....

No it doesn't, since the plains it finds comes into play tapped.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Flagstones exists to pair with boom // bust or smallpox, it's pretty bad otherwise. A second one isn't a loss of mana, but it does force you to tap your land during your own turn, which can be a relevant downside.

I'm wondering now if mono-white Soldiers should play it as a four-of because that deck doesn't have any instants. The problem is that the deck-thinning in question amounts to roughly one extra spell per tournament, at the cost of being more vulnerable to Blood Moon and Aven Mindcensor effects.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

C-Euro posted:

Is there even a Soldiers deck in Modern?

Legacy. Chalice of the Void, Ancient Tomb, Suppression Field, Chrome Mox, Thalia, and soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShadeofBlue posted:

You already know in your heart that this is a bad plan.

You're right. I've learned from Breakfast Burrito that any plan which goes "I increase my win rate by 0.1% unless I run into [card]" is a bad plan.

• Locked thread