Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

Thinking on it I don't think this is real because I think a new basic land type is something that would be added in the first set of a block, not the second set, if it was added at all.

I don't think so, but the implications of putting Barry's Land into the game are pretty huge.

That said, I'm not so sure it breaks the game the way the Cave did because it says "Basic land" but it also has no type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm pretty sure that Wastes would need a subtype, so I'm going with "fake."
Doesn't actually seem like it.

From the Comprehensive Rules (Battle for Zendikar (September 26, 2015))

quote:

205.4c Any land with the supertype “basic” is a basic land. Any land that doesn’t have this supertype is a nonbasic land, even if it has a basic land type. Cards printed in sets prior to the Eighth Edition core set didn’t use the word “basic” to indicate a basic land. Cards from those sets with the following names are basic lands and have received errata in the Oracle card reference accordingly: Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, Swamp, Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Mountain, Snow-Covered Plains, and Snow-Covered Swamp.

305.6. The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words “basic land type,” it’s referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has the intrinsic ability “{T}: Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool,” even if the text box doesn’t actually contain that text or the object has no text box. For Plains, [mana symbol] is {W}; for Islands, {U}; for Swamps, {B}; for Mountains, {R}; and for Forests, {G}. See rule 107.4a. Also see rule 605, “Mana Abilities.”

The issue is that it just straight up doesn't solve the Barry's Land problem by not affecting Domain or anything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's perfectly possible they decided the Barry's Land issue (increasing Domain count) was less mechanically and functionally interesting than making Colorless mana itself matter plus giving EDH colorless decks a basic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The reason this isn't getting dismissed out of hand is because its not easy for fakers to source high-quality fake art and this one isn't even blurry, from a weird angle or anything. The cards also aren't obviously under or overpowered either.

Sigma-X posted:

That's a neat Kozilek art.

So looking at Kozilek's cost and the Waste, the Waste is producing a special Kozilek mana. This flies in the face of it being basic, because it's literally just a 6th color at that point.

I think the idea would be that it has to be colorless specifically, e.g. turning colorless into a type of color requirement. Its actually less weird than it sounds given how Phyrexian mana worked - you technically could just write out "2 of this mus be paid with colorless" but the same thing could have existed on Phyrexian Mana cards through an ability word, but they didn't do that.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 18, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Now we're getting weird

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's actually a pretty interesting design space if you think about it - the Diamond thing appears to be its own type of mana, so it probably only gets produced by specific non-basics or Wastes that don't produce anything else, meaning running it in your deck is actively a pain in the rear end (which encourages you to run way less duals)

The problem here is that these are all too good looking for me to believe they're fake. Historically spoiled cards with new art and no obvious fake poo poo (or blurry photos of Chinese cards) tend to be real.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Twitter says it's a new symbol for colorless mana. Not a new mana type just has to be colorless. So it's 10 mana and 2 has to be colorless.

Doesn't seem like it since the other one specifically makes diamond mana.

Ramos posted:

We don't know that for sure yet.

Also, this seems like exactly the kind of mechanic Maro would talk about needing to be in the first set. Didn't he mention something having issues with squashing three sets into two for this?

The issue might be how much design space exists for a mana type that doesn't do anything other than act as a color restriction.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

This isn't Oath of the Gatewatch, but it's even crazier: Keith Adams, The Misprint Guy, recently acquired of the documentation and playtest cards for a Magic set that never saw print, called Spectral Chaos from their original creator, Barry Reich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaOh-EqNYvE

It's a super interesting watch, and it's crazy to see something like this finally come to light 20 years later.

Quite coincidentally, the guy in "Barry's Land."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

So there's 2 possibilities (I'm assuming the cards are real at this point)

♦ is the colorless mana symbol and basic lands with a type produce ♦ by default. The rules get rewritten to specify the difference between generic mana and colorless mana - currently, there is no functional difference, but the only way to make a card actually cost colorless mana (instead of just generic mana), you have to either create a symbol (♦) or you have to put it in the text box by saying that some number of the casting cost has to be paid for with colorless mana.

♦ is something like Phyrexian mana where it can be anything WOTC defines it to be, e.g. it could be an option to pay ② or you could just pay ♦ if you have a source for it.

The more I think about it he more the former is more likely than the latter because it resolves the fact that you can't force a player to pay colorless mana at all right now for something without serious clunk and it resolves a minor rules ambiguity since generic mana and colorless mana are in-fact totally different things represented by the same symbol. http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...ymbol-eg-add-1 The downside is that you would have to rewrite pretty much every single card to say "T: Add ♦ to your mana pool," but almost nothing would actually use ♦ outside of some stuff in Battle for Zendikar block. In that sense you create more ambiguity, not less, since new player might want to know what's up with this random symbol that never does anything.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

He says he's going to get full scans / a full card list up eventually. There's also apparently going to be a full-length documentary on it, which i'd recommend checking out as well.

Well, there's no knowing this for sure, is there? I wouldn't be surprised if it wound up evergreen (or, at least, way more common than Phyrexian mana) as a way to push cards that don't really fit into the "Shocks n' Duals" manabase paradigm they've gotten themselves into.

The existence of the symbol might be evergreen, but I doubt you would see colorless mana mattering very often because colorless mana itself not actually mattering is what defines it outside of sets with Eldrazi in them.

I have to say that it will/would be very strange to actually be able to cast Kozilek off of Kozilek's Channeler, but not have it be obvious you could do that based on the card text within the same limited environment.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I think Mirrorpool specifically is bullshit. The art is super generic and could easily be an island or another wastes if that is legit, plus two mythics being leaked seems somewhat unlikely.

Alternatively, green is so bad in BFZ because it is being replaced by a new colour. This is Wizards' solution to Siege Rhino

Except Mirrorpond was leaked like an hour after Kozilek and Wastes. Given that Mirrorpool includes a mechanic which literally first appeared on the first two leaked cards, for Mirrorpond to be fake and the other two real, someone would need to mock up that Mirrorpool card complete with previously unseen art and abilities with the new mechanics in like 45 minutes.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 18, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Well they're presumably from a different source given the difference in image quality so I guess the alternative is that people got two different leaks within an hour of each other?

yes actually the one where someone mocks up a new card with new art that isn't obviously fake in like 30 minutes is way more improbable

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Mods on mtgsalvation have confirmed that they are real.

Mods on mtgsalvation closed the thread on Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh as fake because "some pixels" two hours after the thread was posted (strangely, the source was this thread). MTGSalvation's mods just make poo poo up as to whether a card is real or not. Becuase MTGS is a cesspool.

To quote: "In the modern era (since people started putting together reasonably competent fake card layouts for faking purposes) there's really one thing to look at in evaluating a picture of a card: where's the art come from? Professional-grade fantasy illustration doesn't just grow on trees, so generally people making fake cards have to pull it off of publicly accessible places (DeviantArt, etc.) Most of the time when art is sourced from one of these, people can track it down pretty quick and prove the card's a fake. Conversely, unseen art which no one can track down points strongly at a real card.

In this case, the art is even more significant than usual. In both cases, it's depicting something that couldn't just be a random piece of repurposed fantasy art, but something narrowly specific to MTG. The picture of Kozilek is, very specifically, a picture of Kozilek, it can't be anything else -- and we haven't seen any source reveal images for OGW that this might have been pulled from, nor is it old promo art from the first block. The Wastes image is actually even more specific -- it depicts mountains converted into bismuth patterns (which, as we saw on Kozilek's Sentinel, is the destruction effect left by Kozilek's brood) in a world where there are floating rocks in the sky, which is insanely specific to Zendikar. And since the bismuth thing is new for BFZ and didn't appear in ROE, it can't possibly be old leftover art. Given all that, it's hard to draw a reasonable conclusion about either illustration other than that they're real, and if they're real then the cards are also real."

VVVVV

Zoness posted:

Can we get the neogaf analysis on this though

Seems fine to me, I thought he had a well-written point and nobody cares about the source of the argument. :shrug:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 18, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This sounds like a distinction that could not possibly bother anyone except Maro, so they're probably real and you're probably right.

Well, the thing is that from a mechanical perspective generic mana and colorless mana aren't the same thing.

The only reason it hasn't previously been an issue is because colorless mana has never actually mattered in the game. Trying to make a set with a "colorless matters" theme is going to run into that problem eventually.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

So what numpad combination are you guys using to recreate the diamond? :v:

Hold ALT, press 4, release ALT.

Sigma-X posted:

I still think there is a high likelihood of these being fake but the cards and ideas are trite enough that they feel very in line with wotc. The typo on "alleksi" and the timing are the only things that really make me think "fake."
Not sure which typo you're referring to - it seems correct on the version of the card I saw.

I was also skeptical of the fact it was marked "Common" instead of "Land" as well, but now that I think about it we already know that OGW doesn't have a basic land sheet (Maro confirmed OGW Fat Packs have land packs with BFZ full arts).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 18, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

♦ Thanks~ ♦

Unfortuantely I have no idea how to make generic mana symbols, like ② even though they exist as some kind of code.

PleasantDirge posted:

The only thing I'm willing to call real is the art and the frame :smugbert: if the names and text are real there is nothing I can do so why get upset?

I'm not sure who's upset?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Oh, and in case we forget, Uncharted Realms is back to Battle for Zendikar.

Today's riveting (and unfortunately, Krienes-penned) tale, "Hedron Alignment."

* Gideon, Kiora, Drana, Nissa and a couple of random people from Zendikar are meeting in a war room to discuss how they should deal with Ulamog (a scout has informed them he's coming). The rest of the army doesn't know Ulamog is coming yet so they have a bit of time to plan. Kiora's plan is to bum-rush Ulamog with the Bident (she's kind of an arrogant jerk) and Drana, of course, likes fighting so she's solidly in. They also have Nissa's axe.

* Jace wanders back into camp, and acts super smug about how much smarter he is than everyone. He's awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness (this is a theme, everyone is awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness the entire story). Jace tries to explain to them he wants to trap the Eldrazi in the ALIGNED HEDRON NETWORK. Kiora gets pissed the gently caress off because she wants to kill him; Drana and Kiora agree. Jace repeats Ugin's warning that it will leave and eat some other plane. Kiora says, "so?" but Nissa suddenly changes her mind because she feels guilty.

* Kiora basically says "gently caress off" and summons an Octopus to take her away. Jace tries one last time to convince her, this time using MIND POWERS. Kiora does not loving like this and attacks Jace. Jace has to be protected by Gideon-senpai because Jace is a little bitch.

* Jace sets up the plan to arrange hedrons into an aligned network. It's apparently a pain in the rear end to do. Ulamog shows up and Gideon fights him one-on-one; Jace is all full of admiration for Gideon-senpai yet again.

* They close the network around Ulamog, but something's wrong. Nissa uses her magic elf powers to determine that there's a problem with one of the hedrons. Nissa asks Jace why his poo poo is broken. He's like "IDK" so she invites him to do a mind-meld. I can't tell if Jace is hot for Nissa or something or the writer is just that terrible with the prose, but he gets a little weird about it. They fix it because she can see leylines and poo poo.

* Ulamog is trapped. Bobby Nixon kills a random grunt and says some generic evil poo poo and presumably gives a Ted DiBiase laugh. The story ends on that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

Silly question, you know how after a draft you can put in as many of the 5 basic land types you want for your 40 card deck? What exactly is the rule on that?

I know they can change the rules if they want, but currently could you put in as many waste as you want, or do you only get what you draft? Is it based on it being a basic land, a basic land with a land type, or do the rules name those 5 specific traditional basic land cards?

You couldn't do that with snow land in Coldsnap. You just had to draft Snow-Covered Mountain.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This standard and draft format has been bad enough I probably dissected news items like New Kozilek or Shadows of Innistrad and what it means way more than I've been playing.

This is not a good format at all, and I don't have the time or skill to grind out odd events - sure Modern events fire all the time, but its not so easy to attend random daytime events or weeknight events.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lancelot posted:

I agree that standard is bad and homogeneous - but why don't you like BFZ draft? I'm enjoying it more than anything since Triple Khans.

There are too many strategies that actively don't work and culminate in a mess of a draft. Green being actively unplayable doesn't help.

When LSV says a color or archetype isn't good in a draft format, if the format is good, that can mean its a sleeper archetype to get into because you get all the cards you need passed to you. In a bad format like this one, it doesn't matter, green still sucks and taking the open green cards is still a losing recipe. Its kind of the same issue with Converge and Processors - they're mostly random mechanics because they're entirely synergy based cards to work, but you're not terribly likely to actually get them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 19, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Green is definitely the weakest color in BFZ but it isn't unplayably weak, especially now that people are terrified of being in it. Also, if you're having trouble getting enablers you probably aren't taking them high enough. I've never heard that complaint from any of the regular drafters/pros/streamers.
Remember that it took a while for the community to realize that green was actually bad, and it's fine to have somewhat imbalanced colors in draft. They probably knew green was the weakest color, but not how much people would end up avoiding it.

To walk it back a little, I suppose there's a certain level of being open where its fine, e.g. everyone passes you all the Scythe Leopards and Makindi Sliderunner (or Tajuru Warcaller, etc.) opened (which has happened before, I'm sure). But its not just a lower-tier color to be in, its actively worse than the other ones even if getting every single card in it could make a decent deck. Its just not worth trying to look out for the possibility of green being open the vast majority of the time.

In the garden variety "this is open" scenario, Green still isn't good enough to play.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 19, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

Is the GP stream starting at round 3? Pretty lame, I wanted to catch some early games.

Don't they always do that? You can't just put random people on camera and anyone notable has byes for those rounds.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Why not? I mean certainly it would be less interesting to most of the audience but surely it's better than dead air?

Because they like to present big tournaments as high-level events, not people forgetting how to sequence the Splinter Twin combo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Frozen_flame posted:

Is there a metagame breakdown yet? Interested to see how many Bloom players there are.

I hope that if a ban is incoming the whole deck isn't killed off. It is my first actual foray into Modern, after the Pod ban stopped me building Melira Pod. Taking away Summer Bloom would slow the deck enough to stop the T2 pseudo-kill away but not kill it.

I could see a Summer Bloom ban.

Seems like everyone, coverage included, starts groaning when it shows up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sam Black just got his poo poo pressed in by a Vandalblast.

He was going to lose to Keranos anyways, though. But that was salt in the wound.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elves guy must have the rage of a thousand suns right now

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ramos posted:

Hello, affinity. Also, ha, Spectral Chaos did artifact lands first.

This card is like power 9 busted.

Entropic posted:

Basically a ton of early magic design was individually designed cards with no concept of set synergy and the cards themselves were mostly top-down flavour designs with more often than not a downside ability thrown in because flavour. There's a whole bunch of early cards, and even sets (looking at you Homelands) that seem like they were made by people with a basic understanding of the mechanics of magic who were going "if you made X as a magic card, what would its abilities be?" without any regard for it actually being a fun card to play or not.

It's like this "Let's make politicians / tv shows / whatever into Magic Cards!" threads that pop up now and then but it was "let's make fantasy tropes into magic cards!"

So basically like Legendary Cube. (It's really, really bad. It's the Timmiest of Timmy Cubes in an actively boring way).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

odiv posted:

So, who is templating and proxying these up for cubes?

Someone of them seem impossible to template without making the text box look like Demonic Consultation. Not sure how you'd even template a card that makes basic lands produce enemy colors AND nonbasics produce produce colorless. It's a blatantly unprintable card to begin with (it's Blood Moon and a Blood Moon variant for basics at the same loving time).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Static Equilibrium posted:

It's not really any worse than the current iteration of MTGO Legacy Cube if you take into account the facts that a) there are some absurdly unfair cards that b) people keep passing so c) you get to win a bunch by playing Bad Art Legacy Weapon and Mirari's Wake.

It's about 10 billion times worse than MTGO Legacy Cube because there's no actual synergy and all of the non-creature cards are just random poo poo thrown in for whatever. All you do is draft fixing and mana rocks, then take whatever's in pack 3 and turn guys sideways.

Sleeve chat - Dragon Shield Mattes are the sleeve I've been looking for for a year or two. They're not weird and curled, the cards don't slip out if not-double sleeved and they don't get grody insantly like regular Dragon Shields. KMC Hypermat are fine if you double sleeve but I don't want to double sleeve most of my decks.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 23, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

kmc hypermatte + kmc perfect fit for your ultimate mtg experience.

If by ultimate mtg experience you mean spending 20 minutes sleeving a deck. (obviously double sleeving anything is time consuming and tedious so its not like its specific to KMC). I just think Dragon Shield Mattes are basically the same thing except MTG cards can actually be put in them single sleeved also, whereas doing that with a KMC will cause the cause to slide out the top and get a bunch of top edge wear. When double sleeved they feel pretty much the same as KMCs to me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Tuned in for a second and heard linkin park, not worth whatever that was about.

idk some sort of poo poo where some guy I've never heard of complained about the quality of the coverage team

Count Bleck posted:

I think it's clear I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing in this cube.

Like what the gently caress.

No, that's doing it right, 5 color what the gently caress ever is the only archetype in the cube

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 23, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Magic pros aren't really what you would call "celebrities" but following magic as much as you do and not knowing who Joe Losett is? That is a little confusing.
Why would it be? I have no idea at all who that is. I know who quite a few dudes are, but typically only if they've done something that's likely to come up in a forum discussion as opposed to being being a regular pro level magic player.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

Owns.

He tends to play just Legacy (though he's won a few Standard SCG Opens) and is most-known for his Miracles variant. Reid Duke talked at length about what Joe means to Legacy about a year and a half ago.

Legacy is the only format I don't care about in any way, so that's probably part of it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

who is mangara, why were they in an amber prison

I don't know but this sounds like a great setup for Muraganda.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The thread title made me think about Reparations because I don't remember what it did.

Then I noticed that the oracle text does something different than what I remembered:

vs. the oracle text which is:

"Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a creature you control, you may draw a card."

I assume that the idea was that you only get the card if the spell resolves, but it seems like they don't actually have any kind of template that addresses a spell resolving, so the oracle text doesn't care if the spell resolves.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Yes, this is correct, and I always sigh internally whenever someone tries to explain that it meant " if the spell wasn't countered" (because then why wouldn't modern Oracle text use "resolves" or something similar?) because I'm someone who has judged Magic in pre and post-6th edition rules.

What's interesting about Reparations and similar cards is that they got rid of the "target opponent" part. While that ability can't work as templated, it's interesting that cards with triggered abilities from back then now read "whenever an opponent" yet cards with static abilities like Skyshroud War Beast have you choose just one opponent as it enters the battlefield and the card only cares about that opponent from then onwards. I can't remember how Reparations worked in a multiplayer game in 1996, but I don't think that ever came up, and the Mirage FAQ is no help.

I just assumed it was because there's no such thing as a trigger on something resolving as far as I know.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean...

e;

And forget about tokens being created in any sane manner

This is one of the weird quirks also with what "bury" used to mean.

Look at stangg, and look at terror

At some points bury means sacrifice, and at others it means 'destroy, and cant be regenerated'

The weird part is that "sacrifice" as a keyword action was in the game by the time Revised came around but its used almost randomly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Grimace's Uncharted Realms Abridged:

"At Any Cost" feat. Bobby Nixon Reignited. Bobby's entire story is told from first person perspective. The writing this week is truly atrocious and overwrought.

* Bobby's whining about how he's stuck in the cave where the Khalni Heart was. His initial plan was to set up a smaller version of the Aligned Hedron Network to use the Khalni Heart to focus leyline energy to restore his spark, but Nissa swooped his plan to restore her own connection. He's bitching about Nissa and how much he wants to murder her because that plan took up a really long time to fix.

* He mentions the Mending in passing; he basically is a generic supervillain and gets wet at the thought of being able to conquer random worlds since Planeswalkers's powers have been diminished. Yes, he basically just likes killing people and poo poo.

* Bobby breaks out into some horrible prose about his options and he comes up with a solution to "save Zendikar," which seems random since he does the opposite of this the entire time. He finds his "keystone" hedron which he will use to focus power back to himself and starts flying towards Sea Gate. He doesn't seem to care for flight but says its more convenient because, "you don't see a lot of demons on boats, and it turns out there are some very good reasons for that." (ugh) Apparently he's either really loving fast or Zendikar is tiny as gently caress because he gets to the battle in a paragraph.

* He reaches the battle and finds the network in place. He remarks that they did a kinda lovely job with it, but he flies over and uses the keystone to get his spark back - coincidentally, this not only disrupts the network, but causes it to fall apart entirely so they can't even fix it. Bobby Nixon is back bitches in an all new sitcom!

* Nixilis flies around and laughs at Nissa and how sad she looks and starts randomly killing people because reasons. He decides its not destructive enough for some reason (I mean, they don't actually have a way to stop Ulamog as it is) so he decides to summon Kozilek from underground because apparently Bobby has MIND POWERS to summon him for some reason.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 25, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Frozen_flame posted:

Then yeah, it's a good option. The UR core is a bunch of eternal staples and the combo. Add whichever flavour of colour to spice it up.

Modern is generally fun, but the yearly ban game is not. Twin would avoid that entirely by being the baseline of acceptable combo.

Jund is another deck that I think isn't getting banned beyond its current core. But good luck scraping together an additional 700 bucks over what it costs to assemble Twin to assemble Jund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The thing about Twin and Jund is that the cards you need for those decks are good in multiple decks and formats so you have some flexibility...

I mean, sure Twin and Grixis Control (née Delver) are pretty much the same core of cards and so are Jund and Abzan (at least the loving expensive cards are)

Not sure what other decks have a ton of overlap though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 25, 2015

• Locked thread