Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I don't really see why they would make a card that specifically produces "Diamond" mana especially if the "diamond" mana is colorless. You already have basic lands that do that so it seems redundant.

However, R&D seems stupid enough to make the "diamond" it's own mana source which can only be paid by using Waste lands and they end up not producing colorless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Wizards is creating these for Commander support. They have finally realized the one true format.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Abolish the color pie. Make a whole new game with 7 basics. It'll be the New Coke of Magic

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Now you can play colorless commander decks without spending $1500 on land. Thanks Maro, you finally show us what the one true format is

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

They did it once in BFZ, so there's precedent.

(I kid, newlamog is actually playable)

that just makes it a 6th color, I doubt it will extend beyond this set / eldrazi, but when we Return Yet Again To Ravnica because Emrakul is rolling in for end-game, they will totally show up again to ruin Ravnica's duals.

Reminder text is often left off rares and mythics for space considerations.

I still think there is a high likelihood of these being fake but the cards and ideas are trite enough that they feel very in line with wotc. The typo on "alleksi" and the timing are the only things that really make me think "fake."

I would 1000% support another return to Ravnica just so I can play Maze's End again. I'd kill for some full art guildates

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

What time do the streams start?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Bugsy posted:

For the GP? Should be around 9:00am est tomorrow morning.

Oh drat, I thought things started today.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Did you guys see Huey kick my rear end with Storm on stream? That's the only match I lost today though...

can you link to the match?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Boco_T posted:

I hate seeing Amulet Bloom on the stream. I hate it with my life.

Just say Modern, we know what you mean

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

lol retarded infinite combo wins gp

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wow this is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even better with Twincast

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

kmc hypermatte + kmc perfect fit for your ultimate mtg experience.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I just tried to download XMage after selling out of MODO. Is there an easy comprehensive guide to set this poo poo up with instructions for a PC retard like me?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Oh snap. Le Bestiaire put up that fan made Star War set as a draftable set. :v:

This is so cool.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Was there any kind of word put out from R&D from the couple of leaks that were supposedly from Oath that popped up a week or so ago. The new basic land, Kozilek, and the other new land? Or were those revealed to be fake?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Interesting. I've had several local friends play against him in GP's and at Tales of Adventure (SCG states) and they all said he's a scummy player. Mind that my one friend Mike has beat him twice (modern format both times) and said that he was a jerk. I'll try to get specifics from him, I can't remember exactly but Mike said at GP Charlotte he faced G.Fab like round 5-7 and something happened.

Do you live in Central PA?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Yes. Altoona.

I never have made it to ToA. I guess it's 2 hours away from you but have you ever been to the Adventurer's Guild in Harrisburg? There is also a new shop that opened a couple months ago in Leymone/Camp Hill called Savepoint but I guess that's a hike for you. We're on opposite ends.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Nobody ever comes to Pittsburgh. :sigh:

It's like the worst part of the state! Harrisburg is ftw, friend

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

so lsv rage dropped out of scg denver because he lost his first game. lmao what a baby

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

They just said on stream before I went out that "He went from saying he was going to win the tournament to dropping out after a first round loss when he was slotted for top 8"

Unless they were referencing something else

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

So, do Wastes only tap for DIAMOND mana? They doesn't tap for what we call "colorless" (2)BB right? For that you still need BB and 2 of any land except Wastes?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

No, the diamond means colorless. The (2) is generic which means "any type of mana."

Edit: Wow, you guys are fast.

Are we assuming that the Wastes also produce generic mana? If so, then do when what is their point at all?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

jassi007 posted:

What is generic mana in terms of producing mana.? Can you explain an example of mana source in the game that now produces generic? Keeping in mind that sources like Tron Lands, Sol Ring are not producing generic, they are producing colorless.

No, I can't give you an example. Maybe I'm stupid and don't understand it like some others.

For example if I want to cast Kozilek, Butcher of Truth I need to pay (10) which can be UUUUUWWWWW or any combination of the 5 color lands that are available now.

If I want to cast Oath Kozileik I need (8) and DIAMOND/DIAMOND. I still need 10, so what's the point of introducing the new Wastes? What's the benefit or even the point?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Niton posted:

I believe so - Kozilek's mana cost says "two mana must be colorless", so I think it would be similar to how you can only use basic lands to cast Imperiosaur off of Daxos.

Wastes are a basic source of Colorless mana - this allows them to be fetched by cards like Evolving Wilds, Cultivate, or Pilgrim's Eye, and it allows you to have any number of them in a constructed deck.

This is important because it allows you to treat Colorless as a pseudo-color for balance reasons, rather than a curiosity.

The more I understand it seems like a stupid mechanic to cater to the EDH crowd so they can have a true colorless manabase so they don't have to use dumb poo poo like Desert, Quickstand etc etc. They can just run 35 Wastes and be done with it.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

sarmhan posted:

You can cast O.G Kozilek for any combination of mana, as long as it adds up to ten.
You *must* use 2 colorless mana to cast New Kozilek. Diamond functions like a mana symbol, except it denotes colorless mana.

There is no such thing as 'generic mana' when it comes to production, only the 5 colors and colorless. Generic is just a cost notation that tells you any type of mana can be used.

It's starting to become clear now. So you can use 10 Wastes if you desire to cast New Kozy.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

It's still really stupid and hopefully it's a set only thing. (It won't be)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

^^^^^: It's not a color!

They would not print a new basic land and errata a bunch of cards just for a few cards in a small set. If ♦ is legit, it's going to be a part of the game.

Serious question: why do you think it's stupid?

It further complicates the game for no real long term benefit.

Like someone said before if you want to cast Ob Nix you need (3)BB it's still 5 no matter how you cut it UUUBB (for example). By now saying you can use Waste/Waste/Waste/BB you're still achieving basically the same outcome. Now you just have to further complicate things in your 60 card deck if you have say a total of 7 Diamond symbols in there, you now need to figure out how many additional wastes you need to run in your deck in addition to your already basic lands, manlands, whatever lands are in the format at that point.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

I think it's really stupid because it's a backdoor 6th color for bullshit reasons and fucks with templating with zero actual designspace gain that isn't a parasitic 6th color, and furthermore their marquee 6th color card is something that historically has not been a 6th color thing and that was the whole point of them.

They're really loving up the "eldrazi are colorless in a land of colors!" theme with BFZ and now with new Kozilek.

This is basically what I was trying to say with my last post. Thanks!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Please for the love of god let there be a Price of Progress reprint in Oath.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Ahahahahaha, this is adorable.

Yeah, it would be amazing with all the durdly 4/5 color decks in Standard

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Oath will be the worst set ever

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

(it was a joke)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Odd, since hearthstone would be a perfect name for an artifact.

Well, we do have a HEARTstone artifact

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

lmao team usa already eliminated from the world cup.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

That Temur deck they were running was TERRIBLE. Like a bad FNM brew...

fnm brews are actually the best way to play magic

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

some of the cards near the bottom of the imgur had weird set symbols that weren't Oath. anyone know what those were, duel decks maybe?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

so lets price speculate on these new expo lands

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Ramos posted:

Pay no mind to the pedantic retard, guys.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Big news for modo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/year-of-modern-flashbacks-2015-12-14

10 ticket modern drafts a new set each week all year long non-phantom events.

They should do this all the time. The most fun I have with friends is going to one of our LGS getting 3 random boosters then we all draft what we buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

You guys realize you're arguing with mcmagic right?

• Locked thread