Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Madmarker posted:

ftfy, everyone knows Sphinx-Elixir was the best deck ever.

you mean the ivan floch pro tour winner one right?

that's easily the best deck in recent magic history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Madmarker posted:

That one exactly yes....man I loved playing that deck.

It rivals Maze's End as my favorite deck ever

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Turbo Gates (aka Mazes End and a bajillion fog and bounce effects) was the best standard ever hands down.

Sphinx's rev for 12.
Yeah whatever that's cool.
Okay uhh....how many gates do you have in play?
9 and 2 mazes :getin:

please let us go to ravnica for a 3rd time.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

can one of you sweeties please link the stream, i wanna watch/listen on my phone at work.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

En Fuego posted:

For feature matches I kinda wished that they would employ a card holder (something like a scrabble tile holder) and have a 'hole camera' so we/the announcers can see the cards quickly and cleanly.

Plus as an added bonus it would get rid of the flip-flip-flip-flip-flip!

Hahah, they'll just take the cards out of the holder then slide them back in in a different order...then they'll take them out and replace them again in a different order.

That'd be hilarious.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Boco_T posted:

The quarterfinals are over so the Big Announcement should be on within half hour I'd think

It's not eternal masters

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

What a boring pro tour

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Wowwww, Eldrich Moon is the worst set EVER!!!!!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Nahiri's gonna drop the moon on Innistrad and the power rangers have to blow it up first!

Hire me wizards, I'm a writer now

Hope it's a Blood Moon

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Jace will be UB in this set. Not Tamiyo

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I'd rather have

Duel Decks: Kavu vs. Atog's

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Print more Thopter support in Innistrad just........... because!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

lmfao @ worship more than doubling in price....wtf is wrong with people

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

stop banning cards, jesus christ

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Modern will never be a fair format or a level playing field no matter how they govern it.

Twin/Bloom gets banned and Eldrazi shines. Ban cards from Eldrazi and some new stupid deck will rule the format and people will still complain. Either allow it all or gently caress the format.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Once again you are a huge idiot about bannings.

Except, what I said before it exactly what happened w/here.

Powerful decks were banned and something new took it's spot. If you ban Eldrazi something will take it's spot. Rise/repeat

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

The return of maze's end turbofog?

too much LD in modern for that to work....one crumble to dust and you're hosed

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

There's a fun Mono White TurboFog deck I top 3'd a local modern event out of like 40 people.

Basically you just run all the white fogs (Holy Day, Ethereal Haze, Angelsong, Dawn Charms) and then just have 4 Font of Mythos, Howling Mines some elixirs for recycling and just fill your opponent out. It's stupid and fun and causes which the reaction

Back up wincon is just run some Luminarch Ascensions and beatdown with 4/4 Angels.

edit: Sideboard Disenchants for Chalice SB tech

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

Would you care to share a list with the rest of the class?

It's 61 cards but you draw so much it doesn't matter:

Land:

Plains x19
Ghost Quarter x2
Reliquary Tower

Spells:

Dawn Charm x4
Ethereal Haze x4
Holy Day x4
Angelsong x3 (can run Batwing Brune if you wanna splash B)

Enchantment:

Luminarch Ascension x2
Oblivion Ring x3
Leyline Of Sanctity x3 (These can probably be SB but I ran them main)

Artifacts:

Temple Bell x4
Howling Mine x4
Font of Mythos x3
Isochron Septer x2
Elixir of Immortality x2

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I'm sure the deck could be tweaked to run better but it's "Trolly" and nobody will ever expect to play against it. Best of all it's super budget friendly. A friend said about throwing in a singleton Mikokoro but I think it was like $16.00 at the time so I just ran another Plains.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Pyronic posted:

Won gameday 3-0 with Jeskai Thopters.

Can you post the decklist or PM it to me?

edit: lmao someone got mad and bought an avatar? hahahahahahahha

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Ramos posted:

On the flip side, the flavor of Innistrad looks fantastic so far. I doubt they'll be able to pull off a limited format with as much depth as the first one though.

Here's the important question. Are we finally getting the Legendary Werewolf?!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Does Wizards really care that printing them at UC would have made their current price sink like a boulder in the ocean? It's not like they're making money by people buying whatever Alliance packs are left trying to pull one

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I can't wait for the next set.

EDH Masters

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

The new SaffronOlive budget standard deck is freaking hilarious. I wonder if you could non budget it into something playable

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I wonder if you could make SaffronOlive's new budget Standard deck into something legit.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-55-36-tix-standard-mardu-threaten

What a fun concept

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Just buy counterfeit fetches for standard

:getin:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

lol at the talk of banning cards again

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Flash forward to 5 months down the line when everyone is playing....(for argument sake) Elves and the entire top 8 of an event is 6 Elf decks. Then people are calling for cards in those decks to be banned because it's unfair or oppressive.

It's almost like everything I've been saying the last couple months is 100% accurate

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

jassi007 posted:

That is true. While that is true, it is also true that it is super obvious to anyone who pays attention to formats and the metagame that there is a problem that needs fixed and we're all just waiting until this future date for someone to fix it. It is only a game and all, so it isn't like we can't do something else, but it is just weird that a majority of players and WOTC all agree that action is needed, but WOTC says "we just have to wait for this date we set." I get the logic of not just acting rashly or prematurely, but I think it is safe to say we're beyond that point. We've seen a lot of games online, at events etc, we know the issue isn't one that can be solved by players and new strategies/decks/etc. Acting at this point would no longer be considered hasty or premature. Right now there is an odd choice "play this broken deck" or "just wait for another month" I find a company that tells me to check back with them in a month to enjoy their product which they currently acknowledge isn't working is odd, when they could fix it today. I guess they don't want my money?

Ok, so let me ask you then. What is your end game in the Modern format? Obviously, the goal of the game is to win faster than your opponent can so in that context what form of achieving that goal is acceptable to you and the community.

Obviously, things like Twin and Amulet could win the game quickly so the community complained until cards were banned. Now, people are playing Eldrazi because of it and the same people are complaining about it and want the cards from it to be banned.

At what point does this link of thinking stop? You kill the Eldrazi decks and then people will start brewing new powerful decks that go infinite and dominate the format once again creating this never ending loop of "unfair decks"

Will you ever view the format at completely stable with no needed changes or revisions? Like Sigma said people will spend $500 on these decks only to have them abolished months down the line and people are going to abandon the format more than they already are.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't have a strong view on WoTC's stance re: Eldrazi bans, but just wanted to point out that conflating the reasons why Eldrazi will/should have pieces banned out to bring it back to earth with those for why Amulet/Twin was nerfed isn't really fair.

And it's entirely reasonable to have your end game in Modern not be a format in which almost 50% of day 2 decks are not the same archetype.

But, the only reason these Eldrazi decks exist is because of the bannings to Bloom and Twin which at the time were dominators in the format.

No one was playing Eldrazi in the Bloom/Twin world of Modern. These decks are a direct result of those bannings. By banning Temple/Eye you're going to wreck these decks and people are just going to brew some new format dominating deck which people will play and then we're back to the initial argument of what cards should we ban now since everyone is playing (insert new deck)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Jenx posted:

And for some insane reason Peregrine Drake is still legal in Pauper.

You don't think Wizards cares about the format do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

yeah, considering how good wotc creative is, it is a shame that we can't kill off the old bad dumb planeswalkers and replace them with the hot new good poo poo, like

The new one from Kaladesh

• Locked thread