Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Whatever black potus marks, dies. There is no escape.

"You think you can stomach these?" said the Pretzel Vendor.
"I think I can desalinate them" said Sperling.

That was a pretty good list of complaints tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Heh good catch.

That was Jonathon Loucks who worked as a designer till 2014. Considering how far in advance sets are designed/planned I wouldn't be surprised if MaRo took the idea and re-purposed it; though Jonathon isn't actually on the list of designers for the set.

Jon Loucks wasn't a card designer but rather a modo product designer I thought.

It's a shame because he had a custom cube with some really fun cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

BFZ was already tied with Kamigawa for how insular it was. They are going for the record with OTG.

BFZ might be weaker (and that's ignoring how strong mana bases are atm which is stupid but whatever) but it actually has pretty reasonable interplay with origins and khans?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Diamond mana is basically snow mana right? It's mana with a secondary attribute aside from color that depends on the source of said mana.

I mean like I'm not seeing how this is a problem aside from Diamond Faerie :haw:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Doubtful. Snow mana was specifically any mana (of any color) that was produced by a permanent with the supertype "snow."

Mirrorpool has no properties other than "land" and Wastes has no properties other than "basic land," so there's nothing to grant the diamond any additional properties.

Well the name wastes is kind of a property. I want to think diamond is a more direct implementation of snow since I know I like to joke about why Tendo Ice Bridge isn't a snow card and like it's not particularly intuitive that tapping Dark Depths when you have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth out produces a black mana that can be used to pay for snow :v:. I'm guessing it has a similar design origin but with a more distinct and explicit implementation.

Aside from that like, whats actually the problem people are having w/ diamond mana.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

(This card is fake.)

The lack of reminder text to give ♦ meaning is part of why they are fake, because it's ambiguous as hell and this is a really big thing to introduce in the small set.

as opposed to

I mean on cards with a lot of text they drop mana symbol reminders.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean it's all speculation because there's not really strong evidence, hopes aside, for whether diamond mana is

1. Mana produced by any colorless-only source (makes sense wrt backwards compatibility)

2. Mana produced by diamond-specific sources (makes sense for the sake of simplicity)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

This is the more likely explanation since it's infinitely less dumb

A typeless basic producing it still means its hideously fake though.

Yeah I would also think 2 is more likely, assuming that it isn't fake.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Can we get the neogaf analysis on this though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

Artifacts are in such a sad, sorry state right now (maybe 1 or 2 playable per block) that they either need to do something big like this

When has this not been the case aside from artifacts/equipment as a pushed theme?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

This is a common thing I see about this hobby. I mostly see it with my friends who started grinding seriously and feel like they have something to prove. You don't have to play this game. If it's not fun, back away and come back to it later - if at all. Don't turn into one of those joyless dudes who feel obligated to do events. That's why we have "that guy."

That's why we have eurogames, let's be honest.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty funny to see comments like this wrt PES running side events that are like the GP but are not the gp:

quote:

Why use the side event space for a side event modern at the same exact time but not incorporate that to the main event

Yeah man it's not like magic rounds get really long or a tournament gets an insane round count with a ton of players or anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Are there even stone rain type effects in the commander decks?

It seems like they'd rather include an utter end rather than vindicate.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

Disconnecting from modo entirely rather than conceding. I think their clock continues until they pass priority, so the round goes to time.

Um you forfeit after 10 minutes of inactivity iirc.

The next level is to come back after 9 minutes, pass priority, and then hope your opponent went afk.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Ugin/Nicol Bolas OTP

I didn't want to kill you 1000 years ago or anything, s-stupid.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Man I want to live forever so long as I keep a game of Magic in a corner somewhere. :(

:agreed:. Just make sure both players have this active (since your opponent has to be alive) and cause an interminable infinite loop (but not day of the dragons or worldgorger dragon for obvious reasons) so you can't be forced to play to slow play rules.

The one that was recommended to me was Caged Sun + March of the Machines + Conspiracy naming Saproling + Life from Limb.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
what does chaotic mean in the context of that set

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Imagine if 40% of Theros's enchantments matter cards were punishing the opponent for having enchantments and the pick of the litter were Fog, Fog, and Fog.

that's not what theros was like?

cuz i mean thats how i remember theros :haw:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 23, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

I need new sleeves. I've been using kmc perfect fit and hyper matte. Should I try any other brands?

stay the course, kmc can do no wrong.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

First time I double sleeved Merfolk I had 2 sleeves break the first time I had to shuffle them on my first Wednesday of using them.

And then a third the next Wednesday.

you gotta use a gentle touch :feelsgood:

I've used both kmc's and dragon shields and I feel like kmc's are overall lighter which is great for riffle shuffling which I love to do because I'm some kind of idiot who doesn't care about card value or whatever.

Dragon Shields just feel too heavy/thick or something I dunno man.

oh yeah I'm not talking about kmc hyper mattes I forgot they existed. I bought like 400 hareryua style sleeves when they were on sale a while back :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
or to elaborate:

= good

= I haven't used

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

For anyone interested, Joe uploaded the entire game on Youtube (that will likely get taken down for music copyright at some point).

Heard the music at 2:30 but the content vindicated his music choice.

Does Joe's deck play vindicate? He could probably fetch a USEA to cast it right? It would be really useful for getting rid of that top his opponent has I think.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Sea doesn't tap for white mana. He'd have to get a Scrubland. :cmon:

Wait, wait, Karakas also taps for WHITE?

Why haven't we banned this yet?!?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Because everyone should one day experience the joy of being able to pay five mana to constantly keep your opponent in a loop every turn to punish greedy hands.
But that doesn't work if your opponents don't have legends!

Wait you can bounce your own legends with Karakas? Whoa! Why would you ever do that?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 24, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

You bounce Thalia when your opponent finally gets a spell out to kill her, and just recast her. You can also bounce Clique if you need to get multiple cards out of an opponent's hand before you can go off. Bouncing Tasigur if your opponent relied on delve to cast it.

Yeah, it's a pretty goddamn powerful card.

Yeah imagine what would happen if you had two karakas out!

Ok the "randy" posting is getting boring. But yeah WOTC please get good commentary so magic is fun to watch tia.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Mangara/Karakas interactions is one of those weird ones, too.

In any other set this ability would exile him as part of the cost. But this is Time Spiral, where tiny quirks in the rules text are entirely intentional and providing edge cases is the reason.

I'm not going to let a little thing like insincerity get in the way of explaining tiny quirks and edge cases.

It's flavor because Mangara isn't putting himself back into the amber prison and then putting the other person in the same prison.

He's trying to pull them into the prison with him.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

And the inexplicable resonance of some prairie with a Croatian name makes him go to a wizard's short-term memory rather than the amber prison.

Yeah dude he's like man that's a dumb name *trips* and then he's in your head!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

who is mangara, why were they in an amber prison

Kaervek tricked Jolrael into trapping Mangara in the amber prison so he could rule over Jamuraa duh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I believe "successfully cast" was always the equivalent to "put on the stack", countered or no. I played pre-6th but none of us had any idea what the rules were so I'm not sure, though.

If you accidentally drop your rhino as you're putting it on the stack your opponent can yell "Jenga" and Rhino is countered.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

magistermystax asked: How do you shuffle during playtests? Don't most shuffling methods often take the stickers off cards?

The stickers make cards clump, so we normally pile shuffle.

:psyduck:

I guess he could mean clump as in hard to riffle but thats kinda badly worded v:shobon:v.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
What do you call someone who doesn't under how suspend works?

I really like the phrase marquers << temps >>

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

It was the best set ever to the kind of person who posts about Magic on the internet during their spare time. To someone who plays Magic casually, it didn't go over well.

In what way is a casual player -necessarily- someone who doesn't like reading cards?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 2, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Strictly better than Squire, which is on the timeshifted sheet.

Seems good!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

instantrunoffvote posted:

Dies to Shatter.

Don't you mean fury charm

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
to be fair knight of sursi is pretty simple because what else has flying and flanking anyway?

don't even need to bother doing the check case on flanking and you can effectively treat it as bushido 1 except it kills x/1's immediately.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Is that supposed to be a germ token following her?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please let this mean what I hope it means in January

batterskull and griselbrand ban in january? :haw:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Why does the stoneforge mystic have a staff that looks like a petrified snake, and no actual forges in the art

I do not miss Kabira. It is not my forge. My forge is Zendikar, its cliffs my anvils. Wherever I set my tongs and swing my hammer, I bring a bludgeon-wielding germ.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

I still think the loser should have their name changed to Painful Truths and have their picture changed to its art.

black potus -> painful truths
mcmagic -> convincing mirage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Procrastinator posted:

mcmagic is not allowed to put ellipses in his posts in this thread anymore.

• Locked thread