Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

I thought only large sets have basic lands.

From what I can see small sets having Basics is an on-again-off-again thing.

Some small sets get new basics others just use the same Basics as the large set before them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They look good (templating checks out) and the proposed errata-ing or colorless to ♦ is something I can see maybe happening but I'll stay skeptical until I see something official.

If this is a thing I'm gonna be disappointed when they use "requires colorless mana" as an Eldrazi thing and then never use it anywhere ever again.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
FWIW I like these potential changes... mostly.

Adding a symbol for "must be payed with colorless mana" is good and could open up some new/cool things. Changing colorless mana production to that same symbol is weird though. It's a really sweeping change to make in a small set.

It makes it look like another color when it isn't and I can't wait to have to explain yet more rules weirdness to people. Not that I don't already have to explain poo poo to even our really good players (probably the best guy at our store plays Eternal Command in Modern and I keep having to tell him that if Cryptic only has 1 target and that target is removed, or otherwise becomes illegal, Cryptic gets countered and he doesn't get to tap all my dudes or draw).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cactrot posted:

Matgic: The Gathering: Shine on you crazy diamonds

Magic the gathering: Diamond is Unfathomable

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

Sorry to dredge a topic, but has there been any word on the Wastes or Kozilek spoilers from a few weeks back?

There's not going to be any official word about them until January.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

UR Anti-mana reads: 0: Add UR to your mana pool if you tapped your Volcanic Island for mana this turn. :stonk:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm playing R/W

Now I'm playing 4 colors (R/W/U/B) with decent fixing. My Plains now tap for R/B and my Mountains now tap for U/W.

Oh You were playing Fish? Sorry. Not sorry.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I can say without a doubt that Magic: The Gathering is a children's card game.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I may be insane but I think I'm going to try re-templating the Spectral Chaos non-set because I have nothing better to do right now.

If I finish it I'll try and see about getting it on one of those drafting sites like drafts.in I guess.

Not looking forward to fiddling with creature types.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Jenny Angel posted:

Fiddle with all of the creature types except for Arch-Dolphin.

That's staying because why would I mess with perfection.

Part of me wants to change the colors on things to bring them in line with the modern color pie but then I can't have mana-dork Dolphins (sea creautres in Green would be wierd) so I guess I'm not doing that. Maybe I'll go back over it later and make a second version that fits. :spergin:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

JerryLee posted:

Sounds like a pretty typical multiplayer product

The more I look at Spectral Chaos the more I feel like it should be drafted and played like Conspiracy.

Or it would be if it were at all balanced. And real. :v:

I'm leaving in the Antimana spells because they're incredibly stupid and I love them (in the way one loves Time Walk or Black Lotus). Probably gonna adjust rarities all around, so they might end up at Mythic.

As listed it looks like there are a TON of would-be-Mythics (Very Rare) in the spoiler. Not sure if the numbers are appropriate for a ~400 card set. I'll have to do a count after I've gotten them all typed up and then compare to the number of Mythics in a Large + Small set (looks like ~25) and then some of them might get downgraded/upgraded.

Or maybe I just make everything a Rare and make potential drafts a mess. :unsmigghh:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

Up here in Canada we've been having record low FNM turnouts for the past 2 weeks. Tonight was another night where 8 people showed up as opposed to close to 20 normally - I know the US has an excuse for today but has anyone else notices a trend like this?

A lot of people have been turned off by the cost of the current Standard I think. Some people are also not liking BFZ draft. :(

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

I had noticed that its a lot of the younger players that weren't showing up, along with the more casual older players.

Maybe its the rising cost of being competitive in standard that's dissuading people recently? Betweeb fetches and walkers people can't afford $300 standard decks.

What competitive Standard deck are you playing that only costs $300?

A playset of Jace cost $200+. Gideons cost $80+. Landbases alone run nearly $300.

I'm playing a pile of garbage that cost me a whole $20 since I had the Fetches for a Bant Landbase.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

I played standard on Thursday, about 8-10 plays and seriously at least 4 were playing flavours of Aristocrats. It's tier 1.5 at best now but come rotation and people might not be maindecking something that wrecks it maybe it will be a stronger deck. Innistrad is a setting that could conceivably provide sac outlets, with Falkenrath Aristocrat reprint being the best case scenario.

Anyway, playing then also reminded me to make something I think might be useful:

Doesn't quite look right, but fit for purpose.

:barf:

Please get the Fonts from here and install the ones under After M15.

Every time I see an M15 template card without the Beleren font it kills me a little. It's even more wrong since you dug up the custom M15 DFC template.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

That Soldier deck was sweet. From memory:
4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Thalia
4 Field Marshal
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Suppression Field
4 Chrome Mox
9 Plains
2 Karakas
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Wasteland
I don't remember what else, maybe Aether Vials or Swords? SB had some Phyrexian Revoker, Rest in Peace I think. Don't remember what else but SB was 4/4/4/3.

Dunno about this weekend but the last time I saw Soldiers the list was:
Deck: Legacy Soldier Stompy

//Lands
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
10 Plains

//Spells
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
4 Suppression Field

//Creatures
4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Field Marshal
2 Loxodon Gatekeeper
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

//Sideboard
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Kor Firewalker
3 Oblivion Ring

Display deck statistics

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Does Shaman of the Great Hunt count as mono red for that effect or are we counting it as Temur colors for the sake of its ability?

It's a Red creature with a Blue/Green ability. It's technically mono-colored unless you're playing Commander.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If you want to talk about the complexity of poo poo in Time Spiral block why don't you actually post complex cards.

Or how about a Common with a non-evergreen combat-affecting ability that doesn't have Reminder text.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

always be closing posted:

They loving suspended Fabiano.

Because he opened his big dumb mouth and tried to prove how his opponent may have been cheating by demonstrating the cheat with his own deck. It got him a DQ and presumably an investigation.

:bravo:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

I'm going to have this problem with Sarkhan Unbroken next year. :sigh:

One of the guys at my LGS is playing him in a Modern RUG Goodstuff deck that he brewed up. Apparently to some level of success too. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Procrastinator posted:

However, they have to kill it when you don't have 3 mana available.

In response to the Living Weapon trigger, cast Kolaghan's Command. Destroy Batterskull, Shock Stoneforge. Germ Token dies on ETB.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
/\/\/\: There are 20 (BFZ ones number 1-25/45). We don't know what the others are. We don't even know if they will print the other Battlelands in Oath. They could put them in SOI and avoid giving 4 color decks even better mana since they don't like printing punishing cards for this kind of greed anymore. :(

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I don't understand why they wouldn't make the colorless mana symbol change, and introduce the colorless basic, in the first set of the block, seems like a bad decision

It was originally a 3 set block. The change up happened in the middle of design time and they handed a half finished block over to development. :v:

Angry Grimace posted:

Yup, ♦ is just the colorless mana symbol confirmed.

Not really sure how expensive Filterland Expeditions will be. They're pretty much limited to being one-ofs in a few decks.

Source for those of us who are curious?

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 7, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gridlocked posted:

I'm kinda annoyed that it's just the symbol for colourless mana. I liked there just being numbers for colourless. I guess who ever called the number in the circle becoming "any mana" is right.

I am still going to assume though that anything with a mana cost that specifically contains a ♦ symbol can only be paid with a ♦ and not coloured mana.

Numbers in circles was "any mana" if it was in a cost and "colorless mana" if it was something produced. Now Tron lands should produce ♦/♦♦/♦♦♦ instead of {1}/{2}/{3} to enforce this distinction but can still pay for everything Tron does since costs are in "any mana" format.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
/\/\/\: I think it's mostly about clarifyingthe distinction between colorless mana (produced by stuff) and generic mana (in costs).

Olothreutes posted:

Probably not. That would be a huge sweeping errata on basically every artifact ever printed. It's just a way to make the eldrazi into "woooooOOOOoooo colorless" things. The numbers in circles have always been any mana so they probably can't suddenly make basalt monolith cost ♦♦♦ because it would become really hard to cast suddenly without weakening your manabase. This could allow them to do neat things with better equipment now, maybe skullclamp isn't quite so busted if you have to run colorless producing lands.

Who am I kidding, skullclamp remains busted under those circumstances.

They were more likely referring to things that produce {3}, like Urza's Tower, which should now produce ♦♦♦. Not to making things that cost {3} cost ♦♦♦. That would be incredibly stupid.

It would be a HUGE functional change to thousands of cards to change "generic costs" to "requires colorless" and they don't do functional changes anymore. The change of "Add {1} to your mana pool." to "Add {D} to your mana pool." si something that doesn't change anything except what they can design using that as another game balancing restriction.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 7, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If ♦ costs don't become an Evergreen thing that shows up on at least one card each set then Wizards has no business making this game anymore because that's just trowing away good design space.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DurdleDuck posted:

Put me down for a guess on 10 filters and 10 manlands being the Expeditions.

My cube is going to be so sad about not having the 5 enemy battlelands though :(

A friend and I were discussing it Friday and figured they probably won't happen in Oath because the mana would be insane but they might put them in SOI since Fetches (and the insane 4 color goodstuff decks) will be gone then.

Thinking more about it though it'd be really sour to only have 5 of the Battlelands as Expeditions. Maybe Filters, Enemy Battlelands, and Scars Fastlands as the Expeditions and they print some actual good greedy manabase hate in Oath.

Suppression Field would reign things in a lot without being the best thing you can play (12 Fetch decks don't look so hot when you can't fetch). Blood Moon is another alternative but probably won't happen. Ghost Quarters is unlikely to see print because it doesn't really mesh with Zendikar flavor but Tectonic Edge would work.

Or they could just go whole hog and reprint Wasteland. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Devor posted:

When a card says that it's adding (1) to your mana pool, you can only use it to pay for (numbers). Any color can be used to pay for (numbers) too.
Which is why they're making the change.

quote:

What color is diamond? Gray? I'm using WBURG+Gray to pay for my Bring to Light with Thalia on the board, why isn't Converge=6?

Colorless is not a color.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Admiral posted:

Nope. Nope nope nope.

I've been playing since 1996-7, and I refuse to believe this Mystic Gate horseshit. If it's true, I'll be pissed off - it just seems so drat unnecessary.

(I'm not deluded enough to throw a tantrum and say that I'm quitting Magic forever though, it's still too much fun for that.)

???

The card's existed for 7 years now.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Admiral posted:

Sorry, I know the card is a reprint, I was referring to the change from representing one colourless mana as (1) to <>, and the implications of this change.

The change is really just to make the distinction between Generic Mana in costs (the {3} in a spell or ability that costs {3}{R}) and the Colorless Mana that lands/artifacts/a-small-number-of-creatures produce (Sol Ring, the Blighted Lands in Standard right now) more apparent.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Devor posted:

I'm curious whether Eye of Ugin will reduce the diamond cost or generic cost.

It'll be the Generic cost. And it'll still reduce the cost of New Kozilek. It just won't make him easier to cast (on a technical level. The only people playing Eye of Ugin are playing Tron so they'll have all the {D} they could ever need if they do end up playing him.)

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 7, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zurai posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't they print enemy battlelands in SoI and still include them as expeditions in OGW? It would mean they'd need the art and final names done earlier than usual, but for 5 cards that doesn't seem unreasonable (especially since they presumably ordered all the expedition art in the same batch). And since expeditions don't expand Standard playability, they wouldn't be Standard legal until SoI officially launches. They would (I think?) be Modern/Legacy/Vintage playable, but I don't think battlelands have made any impact there at all, right?

They could do that, yes. It'd just be very weird.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

cheetah7071 posted:

Removing fizzling is up there with removing the hand size rule for rules changes I want to and expect to see someday. All spells and abilities should resolve as much as they can, just like spells with multiple targets do when one target disappears.

Spells with multiple targets don't fizzle when one of them is removed/becomes illegal. Only spells with a single target do.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

stinkles1112 posted:

I mean if you wanna say that printing a run of cards in one set that require colorless mana to be cast is a bad dumb mechanic then fine but that's just, like, your opinion, man. There's nothing objectively bad about it.

No. You're wrong. Anything that doesn't appeal to me is trash and will kill the game completely.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Can't wait for FNM tonight so I can see how many adults I actually know are upset about small, non-functional, changes to this card game for children. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 11, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

:lol::lol::lol:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Voyager I posted:

I'm definitely not going to miss Fetches in standard. Full speed mana fixing + fuel for Delve and Jace (if you're willing to bring a $700 deck to an FNM) is dumb.

The good news is that Aritocrat / Rally decks run pretty cheap since most of their engine cards are weird jank that's only good in one context, and they're pretty fun if you don't mind taking long turns.

Can someone fill me on on why Deathtouch one drops aren't played more often as blockers? I ran a cut-down version of 4 Color Rally without blue with a set of Ruthless Rippers in place of Sidisi's Faithful and they did a huge amount of work trolling any deck whose plan was to attack with creatures on the ground. Obviously they have limitations, but a lot of the staple aggro cards like Swiftspear and Anafenza don't have a good way to get past them unless your opponent is willing to spend their second turn casting a removal spell on your one drop instead of building board state.

I thought Fetches + Delve was OK. Jace got added to the pile and things were still mostly alright (pricetag not withstanding). He provides interesting interactions with Delve like Tasigur does. Then the Duals got added and that was the straw that broke the camels back.

As to your point about Typhoid Rats and its ilk: I'm not really sure. I love seeing them played and I love playing them though, Nothing feels better than playing Rat T1 and watching your midrange-playing opponent debate with themselves every turn about killing it or not.

Then you drop the second one. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 13, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fiend Computer posted:

so does anyone know what that japanese demon says? also is that just a straight up saint traft reprint?

Looks like a Duel Deck Geist, yeah.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Frozen_flame posted:

I counted 6 Mythics, plenty left.

4 Mythics left assuming they stick to the "15 for Large sets, 10 for small sets" thing they've been doing. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Alaan posted:

So in all this spoiler excitement I missed it. what is Caleb getting for his invitational token?

9/10 says it'll be an eyesore for the entire time whatever card makes it is played in Standard. :v:

Invitational tokens are all ugly. :colbert:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

whydirt posted:

Strip Mine might also have a higher supply than Wasteland given it has actually been reprinted in white borders. Dunno enough about print runs to say for sure though.

4 different versions in Antiquities at Uncommon. 1 in 4th Edition at Uncommon. 1 in Anthologies. And it was in FTV: Exiled.

Vs. Wasteland's single printing in Tempest at Uncommon and the Judge and Player Rewards versions from a while back (2010 and 2001 respectively).

There's probably a fair amount more Strip Mines out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sickening posted:

Laughing really hard at this. IOK is powerfull, but nowhere near as powerful as throughtsieze, especially in standard. It is only played at fewer copies than IOK in some decks in modern and that is mostly a meta decision.

There is a good arguement that IOK would be a mediocre card at best in standard.

Given that Standard is all about CMC 4+ "haymaker" plays (Rhino, Tasigur, Dragons, Gideon, Ulamog) it'd be pretty meh. It'd do more work than Duress/Despise just because of its flexibility but the only deck IOK would really tear up is Jeskai since it hits basically everything in the deck. I think.

E: It can't even rip the Dig out of the control deck's hand even though Dig rarely costs more than 2. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 15, 2015

• Locked thread