Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Rare-redrafting is all well and good when it's 8 people doing a draft for no official prize support. When it's the "prize support" for a sanctioned event it's just stupid.

logis posted:

Yeah I really like what my local shop does. We're fairly competitive (no 'pros', but we're drafting to win).

Draft: 'Normal', ie keep what you draft. No feelbads (example: last week, player to my right opened foil Gideon in pack 3. Took it home with him despite being in U/B).
Prizes: 1.5 packs/person. Open all the packs, draft the prizes according to standings. (example: last week, I took first place b/c red was the place to be. Gideon was opened in one of the prize packs, which was awesome as my draft was worth about 50 cents up to that point).

With Expeditions, the fight for first place has been extra tough. Unfortunately, we have yet to open one despite drafting the set every week...

The only time that I would recommend a full rare-redraft would be in team draft (you and your friends, all about equal skill level, choose random teams and winning team keeps everything).
Or, you know, junk rare draft :allears:

This is an interesting way of doing prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If new Nissa ends up being $5 trash for whatever reason(s) I'll probably pick some up for my jank garbage deck.

Without even knowing the rest of the set I'd say she seems decent in a B/G (or B/G/U maybe? because Whirler Rogue) Aristocrats deck.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

You don't make a one bullet point list.

My counter-argument(s):
  • Sure you can.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GoutPatrol posted:

Prophet of Kruphix was played in Jund for a little while there.

Prophet is a Theros card. :goonsay:

Also Blue Jund will never not be a hilarious pile to me.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

rabidsquid posted:

I pile shuffle to signal to the illuminati which players are going to win which matches at which tables. Your superstitions and habits literally don't matter, I decide the match outcomes.

So I can blame you every time I get mana screwed? :v:

The only time I shuffle my hand around is when I'm organizing it for a general play order or if I have just 2 cards in hand and my opponent's tanking on something I usually end up moving the two back and forth to temper my growing impatience.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Having a way to draw cards and shut down flyers in the ramp deck seems cool. It's a bit awkward that it doesn't work with Shrine of the Forsaken Gods but that deck may be packing some extra colorless lands after OGW anyway.

How does it not work with Shrine?

Shrine makes 1 or 2(can only be spent on colorless) colorless mana, Endbringer is colorless, Endbringer costs colorless, Endbringer's abilities cost colorless.

I guess you can't activate it's draw ability off just a Shrine but that's probably not a huge loss anyway since you already have 7+ lands and I imagine a deck that's playing him is running more than just Shrines as colorless sources.

You can use a Hedron Archive to activate it though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Star Man posted:

I hope you all follow rk post on Facebook or Twitter.

No ring. 3/5. :colbert:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Most of the bans came from Florida. WELP. Not like it was a good state anyway. :v:

Glad I don't really care about PPTQs and RPTQs and all that. Hate to see it happen to the people who do though. :(

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GoutPatrol posted:

It better be settled by the time OGW pre-release comes on because otherwise alot of people are gonna be hosed.

Given that the main Judge organization site is down in protest it needs to be solved within, like, a week really.

Although given that this is Wizards we're talking about they'll probably just poo poo out a really bad, barely functional, in-house version of the site and call it a day. :smithicide:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoness posted:

I'm literally saying that they are not doing what loads of people are doing, and the reductive argument doesn't really help comprehension of the process.

But yeah I mean, why even play magic. Chill la Chill where's the Force of Will / Eurogames thread :v:.

Force of Will is this-a-way.

'Dunno about eurogames though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

They should pay the programming people more just so MTGO isn't as lovely otherwise it doesn't really affect anyone.

Giving the guys they already have a raise probably isn't going to make MTGO not a poo poo product.

They need to hire actually good programmers and give them the new improved wages to make it work. They also probably need more people on the team than however many they have right now.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mandatory lesbian posted:

man i can't wait to play the limited match against the guy who ripped a strip mine

I'd be more concerned about the guy who opens Eye of Ugin.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

kizudarake posted:

They do a smaller version of that whenever they publish any of his articles.

:vince:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

kizudarake posted:

Have they set the dates for the other prereleases and game days this year, or do we have to wait for set names to release? I was hoping to turn in a list of weekends I could tell my boss to gently caress off on in advance, if the scheduled person is taking off. I found Oath and SOI, but nothing further than that.

They give exact dates when they announce the set but the dates should roughly correspond to the release dates from this year.

Somewhere in July and October for the 2 sets after SOI since they're releasing every 3 months. Supplementary releases are usually in May (sets like Modern Masters and Conspiracy) and November (Commander releases is all we get here now I guess RIP Planechase. And Archenemy I guess). Duel Decks release 2 weeks to a month before a set (I think).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

It doesn't say how much you have to process, and it takes up like 3-4 lines of text if I am remembering it correctly, when it could say

When you cast Ulamog's Nullifier, you may Process 2. If you do, Counter target spell. (to Process 2, put two cards your opponents own from exile into their graveyards)

This would let you have some of the bigger/rare cards be less text heavy, and might let them make more since the cards are a bit less wordy over all.

:goonsay: Nullifier's ability happens on ETB. :goonsay:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

My new years resolution is to not open my boosters next year and buy my singles straight out.

So I decided hey why not, let's open one last pack.

Modern Masters 2015.
Dismember.
Ulamog.
Foil Emrakul.

gently caress.

You've ended on a high note at least.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mandatory lesbian posted:

i have no desire to draft a core set that is just edition numbers instead of the year

Tenth Edition might be better.

8th and 9th are just there to be Ensnaring Bridge/Blood Moon Lotto tickets basically.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

Painful Truths won the Legacy PIQ.

So black potus has to post with proper punctuation from now on?

And also pilot a deck of your choosing at a tourney, I think?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

I can't wait for every rare I open at the pre-release to be the same legendary enchantment that cares about a card type I don't have any of.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The sky and the cosmos are one.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GeneX posted:

why the hell is gush legal in any format besides actual vintage

Sure, I'll draw 2 for free and also hard counter wasteland/strip mine

In response I'll float UU > Gush > Counterspell.

Because that's reasonable right? :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Star Man posted:

I wouldn't even know how to tell if a card was made by a Chinese printer.

Neither would a WotC employee. :v:

Hopping Ghost posted:

Translating fantasy game rules text from Japanese to English is hard enough on its own without having to bend over backwards to make up for the fact that Wizards already took all the keywords that make any sense, so my heart goes out to the FoW translation team. It really does. But holy poo poo, the flavor text is so awkward that I have to assume their localization department is a bunch of volunteers convinced they're finally on their way to spinning their doujinshi scanlations into a career.

At least they've been steadily improving since they started.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 13, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I didn't know Trick had an SA account. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pyronic posted:

make a super weapon that just makes it uncomfortably humid and curls all the foils.

It's called Florida air and it's awful.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If people are still willing to tweet Elaine, why not ask her how Trick hasn't been fired yet for making her backpedal basically every public statement he's made since she started?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel like there'll be no changes but I could see a few things eating a ban.

Summer Bloom, or Amulet, or Simian Spirit Guide maybe.

It's probably a safe bet that nothing's getting un-banned though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

odiv posted:

3 of the 10 people at the prerelease today opened expeditions. I got a Flooded Grove, the guy next to me opened a Tec Edge, and a guy at another table got a Bloodstained Mire.

Went 2-1-1 for 2 packs, but it doesn't matter because the LGS does flat payouts!

There was only 1 Expedition at my pre-release. It was a Wasteland. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chairman Pow! posted:

As someone switching from standard to modern, I just don't get where modern fits into Wizard's picture. How does it make money for them? Why aren't they actually monetizing it in a way that draws players in?

Its so drat expensive and hard to get into the format, why dont the sell more modern products with staples for like 75-80% of secondary market and let me buy them and play? Why not push modern products I can buy to coincide with the Pro Tour and monetize that way? I get they cant profit from modern in the same way as standard, but why not let me give Wizards money to get a modern deck going instead of secondary markets?

They printed a Modern event deck 2 years ago but the MSRP was $75 and the deck could be made from singles like a week later for ~$55-60 so they just kinda sat around on LGS shelves waiting to be bought and when they were finally bought it was at like $50 fire sale price.

Who knows if they'll do another.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

Of course now the Inquisitions are worth $75 on their own.

There's only 2 in the deck not a full playset.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thought there was three.

NOPE

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My removal for pre-release was hilariously awesome.

3x of the 4 mana "Exile target creature" spell.

Drew out some real good groans from my opponents when I'd take away their sole flying blocker to let my Drana get through. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

InterrupterJones posted:

Emrakul isn't gonna be on Innistrad anyway. She's busy being in Mercadia if the Rishadan Port promo is anything to go by.

The capitol of Mercadia is built on an inverted mountain IIRC.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

I maintain that Masques itself(and, to a lesser extent, Nemesis) are serviceable, albeit not great sets that get an overly bad rap for a few reasons:
1) They're between the much more powerful Urza's block and what was for a quite a while the pinnacle of Magic design in Invasion block.
2) They're associated with Prophecy, a complete garbage fire of a set whose only redeeming factors are one cool rare cycle and two rare cycles that have some cool ideas but not always executed correctly. The mechanics are miserable to play with, the cards are bad and uninspired and flavorless, it's just an awful set that has to be bottom 5 all time.

Aren't these also the reasons the Kamigawa block gets a bad rap?

Sandwich-ed between Mirrodin (an insanely high powered block) and Ravnica (a really cool design) and one of it's sets (Saviors) is mostly trash with a handful of cool/interesting ideas/cards in it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Autocorrect doesn't like me.

Auto-correct did that because there's no "I" in plebs. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Jim Davis apparently put frowny faces next to his Savage Knuckleblades.

And also wrote "What am I doing with my life" on the decklist.

COME ON :mad:

From what I've seen/read of him Jim Davis is a terrible person (or at least not a very good person).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

field balm posted:

So I parted out most of my rare and valuable cards a while ago, but seeing how much aether vials are worth is making me wanna check the rest of my uncommon/commons for money cards. Is there a site I can easily find out what the good stuff is without searching each card?

Here is basically every Common/Uncommon that's worth anything in Modern.

Note that some of the prices are a little inflated since the site uses TCG Mid.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

It's funny because I'm building Jaya EDH right now.

Where I get to run both Gratuitous Violence AND Repercussion. :getin:

Repercussion into Blasphemous Act when you have no creatures on board seems like a great way to potentially win games out of nowhere.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Repercussion and Incite Rebellion is also hilarious.

Alpha Brawl. :unsmigghh:

Or Chandra's Ignition if you want an actually good card. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Turtlicious posted:

Is there any place I can get 4 Blinkmoth Nexus without paying 35$ a pop?

Blinkmoth Nexus is like $3.

:ssh: Real Inkmoths will never be cheap again. :ssh:

• Locked thread