Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

Jon Loucks wasn't a card designer but rather a modo product designer I thought.

It's a shame because he had a custom cube with some really fun cards.
Loucks primarily worked on Modo but also did some design work- he made Chromanticore for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Devoid is using colored mana for colorless cards.

If your hypothesis is correct (because Ulamog and Mirrorpool inexplicably lack reminder text (which is one of the many reasons they're fake)) then ♦ cards directly refuse colored mana for colorless cards.

This is direct opposition. One wants colored mana, the other wants colorless. These aren't independent sets, they'll be drafted together.

Wastes is a common though so even if it were real (it's not) then the theme is inherently hosed from a drafting perspective. Say what you will about BFZ's archetype focus, at least you didn't have to draft basic lands instead of spells to enable anything.
Mythics are allowed to omit reminder text for space reasons, that isn't evidence that they are fake.

Also, devoid and the Diamond/Hedron mana symbol are not at all in opposition if we assume that D means "Pay for this using only colorless mana"- the cards that play off of devoid care about colorless creatures/spells period. Devoid is just a way of making a larger variety of colorless cards while still requiring you to play specific colors- too many colorless cards has a lot of knock on effects.

Also, wastes is a common, but I doubt that'll be the only way to get colorless mana in the set. There's already a good amount of colorless mana production in BFZ (Blighted lands, evolving wilds can get wastes now, kozilek's channeler/hedron archive), and I would expect to see more in Oath to support the theme. It may also appear with multiple art and/or be on the sheet more than once.
Don't forget the next draft environment is OOB, not OBB. That combined with the small set size in Oath gives them a lot of room to really change the draft environment up.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Voyager I posted:

You raise valid design concerns, but I still remind you that BFZ seems to have been a dubiously designed set from the get-go in terms of shamelessly parasitic mechanics so I don't think those are grounds enough by themselves to rule out the ♦.
I don't think you understand what parasitic means. The only mechanic in BFZ that can be described as parasitic is rally, and they aren't especially due to the previous set of allies and their playablility in non-ally decks (since they always give your team one instance of the effect). Devoid/colorless matters plays with the entire history of artifacts and the previous colorless eldrazi. Process allows you to benefit from any exiled card, not just those ingested, and Converge is a pretty modular mechanic that plays with any multicolor deck.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They also confirmed From Beyond as just Awakening Zone that makes Scions, and not with the final card's search ability.

I was thinking something just straight-up removed in the last two or three years, but gently caress me if I am going to attempt to look for something that's been memory hole'd.
If you had actually paid attention to those spoilers they were the memories of a guy whose 'friend' worked at a printing company. He straight up said they were imperfect, but close to the real card.
I am 90% on these being real.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

NivMizzet posted:

I kind of wonder if they would either replace the basic land slot in OGW packs with Wastes or have Wastes be one of the lands that comes up in that slot.

If it's just another common in the pack then we may get to see a modern-day recreation of everyone trying to open enough packs to get enough basics for their Karn/Kozilek EDH deck just like in the early days of Magic.

But in actuality they're probably just going to put tons of them in each Intro Pack and people will actually buy them.
There's nothing stopping them from having multiple arts and collector numbers for Wastes so they occur more frequently, since they're a basic land.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It being fake would require a ridiculous confluence of events and far more effort than them being leaked spoilers. Occam's Razor can be applied here fairly readily I think. Them being fake would require people getting the art (before the art is publically available), making fakes that are templated correctly, and predict the story beats in a satisfying way that I think most people didn't predict, and create a convincing counterfeit.

Meanwhile all you need for them to be real is someone in a print shop to leak them. This happened for BFZ indirectly with the Gideon/Ob Nix spoilers, which were secondhand.

Also, remember that Wizards doesn't really care about eternal formats when making mechanics. They barely test for modern in the development phase.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lancelot posted:

Is this different from the time just before that Ulamog was trapped and Ob Nixilis disrupted the alignment? These stories are all blurring together.
This is the actual short story version of part 1 of those events. We just had the summary from the Fat Pack booklet.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Origins also had thopter spy network and other artifact-matters cards, so I'm not sure what the point is. They were both subthemes of the set.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Green is definitely the weakest color in BFZ but it isn't unplayably weak, especially now that people are terrified of being in it. Also, if you're having trouble getting enablers you probably aren't taking them high enough. I've never heard that complaint from any of the regular drafters/pros/streamers.
Remember that it took a while for the community to realize that green was actually bad, and it's fine to have somewhat imbalanced colors in draft. They probably knew green was the weakest color, but not how much people would end up avoiding it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

RPTQs are the future of Magic after all.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So we're getting another art book for Shadows over Innistrad, and the promo blurb gives us a first hint at the plot:

quote:

In THE ART OF MAGIC: THE GATHERING – INNISTRAD, terror falls from the skies on blood-spattered wings and nameless horrors lurk in the shadows. These pages, lavishly illustrated with the award-winning art of Magic: The Gathering, are your entry into a world beset by terrible evils on all sides and betrayed by the hope it held most dear. Tread lightly as you follow the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they investigate these dark mysteries.
This seems to point to the angels turning evil and the lovecraftian themes people have already speculated about.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

This is the problem that entrenched players underestimate by far the most in my experience - you would not believe how much players learning the game hate having to read all the loving cards every single time to figure out what they do.
Ichor slick is really complex though. It has 4 different costs depending on what you do with it. The possibility space is very complicated for a new player to figure out, and as a common it came up a lot. Ichor slick is one of my favorite cards but it's still inexcusably complex for a common, especially when so many cards in the set are like that. Even if time spiral didn't have the timeshifted sheet, it'd be the most complicated set (barring the other sets in the block). Adding over a hundred cards from the history of the game with unique keywords and abilities that are unlike any modern card turned it into a nightmare for the non-enfranchised player base.

Future sight took it a step further with multiple abilities that only occurred on 1-3 cards, and commons that were explicitly designed to be weird and unlike anything that had come before.
See flowstone embrace:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

to be fair knight of sursi is pretty simple because what else has flying and flanking anyway?

don't even need to bother doing the check case on flanking and you can effectively treat it as bushido 1 except it kills x/1's immediately.
Except flanking interacts completely differently with multiblocks.
Having a common without reminder text is entirely bullshit to begin with, but people did and continue to screw up blocks when flanking is involved. Watching people who weren't familiar with the set try to draft it when it was the MTGO flashback reminded me of this- people were screwing up a lot, and this is when the game is enforcing perfect rules resolution.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, it's not that ichor slick is literally impossible to figure out (although it is complicated by the final casting mode not actually being spelled out on the card), it's that it comes up fairly often in a set full of headscratchers across all rarities. You can open up a pack of timespiral and have to read most of the cards in the pack to understand what they actually do.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nagle also catches flak for structural issues that were not his decision - I.e, BNG getting its mechanics gutted for JOU, and worldwake having two major development failures in it. SFM was a planning failure too.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The difference between generic and colorless is not in production, but in cost. Generic= any color of mana or colorless mana. Colorless= Only colorless, not any other color.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

You can cast O.G Kozilek for any combination of mana, as long as it adds up to ten.
You *must* use 2 colorless mana to cast New Kozilek. Diamond functions like a mana symbol, except it denotes colorless mana.

There is no such thing as 'generic mana' when it comes to production, only the 5 colors and colorless. Generic is just a cost notation that tells you any type of mana can be used.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

parasitic 6th color
You REALLY don't know what this term means if you think colorless mana requirements are parasitic.

Also, do people not remember that a bunch of the eldrazi spells/drones were straight up colored the first time around? Devoid is just a way to do that while making "colorless matters" broad enough to actually function as a mechanic.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I like the assertion that something is 'dumb' and 'bad' without actually stating what is dumb/bad about it. Please explain yourself instead of going on a rant.

It totally is a backdoor 6th color, it just comes without any of the parasitism or demands for future printings that a 6th color would bring. They can bring this back or not as they will, because the only requirement for it, colorless mana, will remain a mainstay of Magic. It could only appear in this set and it'll still work fine.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 8, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

The only cool blue character is Venser. Peace.
That's a pretty heartless thing to say.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's no functional change at all. Just a notation change alongside a new mechanic.
On another note, Diamond mana totally plays well with devoid. The purpose of Devoid was to put colorless creatures (for the colorless matters cards) at a higher density than you could otherwise have in the set. Diamond is a complementary way of doing this.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It doesn't matter if you're black or white, unless you're playing Magic: The Gathering: A Deckmaster Game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Considering a 6th color retrofit doesn't really add anything to the game at this point in development I don't really get why anyone is excited by it. I've never understood why anyone is attracted to the notion of Barry's Land outside of Commander though, either, but it's existed as a concept long before Commander was a format.
We've seen literally one card with Diamond in the cost and you're already declaring that it doesn't do anything?
Your relentless "I HATE {C} BECAUSE IT'S BAD" is getting really old.
Wastes is primarily there to support {C} in the draft format while providing colorless EDH deck a basic land option. It's not trying to be barry's land at all.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

We've seen multiple cards with ♦ costs on them and I don't think it's a very exciting mechanic. I get that I'm in the minority but I still haven't seen any cards or any potential speculations about the future of ♦ that leave me at all excited by it.
We've seen one card (Kozilek) and two lands (Mirrorpool and Ruins of Sea Gate) with ♦ on them. The lands are completely bonkers so I don't know why you wouldn't think they could do good work with it on other cards

quote:

Zendikar block is home to a million of my favorite cards in the game and BFZ/OGW are complete loving trash and incredibly unexciting to me. As someone who was originally thinking bout getting into standard when BFZ came into rotation because I had been on a long hiatus from standard, the sets thus far look the be the least interesting sets to me that they've produced since kamigawa block. The whole thing is a huge disappointment to me and the most interesting cards in either zen set so far are Newlamog, who is a boring but kinda more powerful version of an existing card I play, and a completely utilitarian boring upgrade card that is at mythic for no good reason.

Like, I bought about a case of Zen/WWK combined, and I bought a case of ROE. I drafted these sets religiously at least once a week, and with ROE in particular I drafted the set literally about 100 times between paper and MTGO.
I mean, I can't make you like a set, but I'm not sure what you're really saying here. You're just throwing out really strong assertions about the quality of the set without explanation.

quote:

I love the gently caress out of legacy, enjoy the hell out of modern, and am completely loving disinterested in playing a standard that involves these sets at this time. Different strokes for different folks, I'm glad some other folks are totally excited about the wonderful mechanical possibilities that a half-assed 6th color retrofit provides, but I can't see it as anything other than a half-assed 6th color retrofit and given that their marquee mythics of kozilek, who should be awesome, and that mythic land, which should be awesome, are both boring as hell instead and feel like lame retreads of things we've seen before outside of having ♦ in their costs. Which indicates to me that we are more likely going to get some boring poo poo like a mana rock that costs 1♦, maybe an on curve 2♦ 3/3, and other completely unexciting things like that instead exciting things like...anything that had annihilator stuck on it was.
See, this is why I can't take you very seriously. You're just tossing out the whole loving mechanic based on 3 cards, and I don't know how Mirrorpool or ruins of sea gate are 'lame retreads' of anything we've seen before, unless you mean 'library of alexandria, one of the best cards of all time'. We're definitely going to get vanilla stuff, but that's literally every set. Rise had vanilla stuff too you know. I guess you really love annihilator, but there's really no argument for it to come back in any quantity- it was really divisive the first time around.

quote:

Add all of that together with the fact that they picked the worst time to introduce the new symbol (small second set) so that most of the cards you'll be using to enable it aren't even printed with their most recent rules text despite being 3 months old, just reeks of poor execution and planning and that reek doesn't usually come attached to secret darlings.
It's not poor planning, jesus christ. They had a big debate over whether they should do it or not. They decided that the confusion over it being introduced mid-block was outweighed by the splashy impact it would have, and the confusion it would cause by existing in a set that it had no relevance in. You're just throwing out insults at the WoTC team and assuming that they're stupid or shortsighted, but they really do consider essentially every alternative approach.

quote:

If I was a pessimist I would say that BFZ is what we'll look at in a few years when we try to pinpoint the moment that Magic tripped on its dick and started to bleed out, but I don't actually think the game is going to be any smaller in 5 years. But between expeditions being a sales gimmick to shore up set sales while being coupled with the most uninteresting sets they've done in a long time doesn't leave me excited for new magical cards. And as a huge magic fan that bums me out in a way that mediocrity in something I'm not passionate about wouldn't.

I'm bitching so much not because it's the literal worst thing they've ever done (Homelands and Fallen Empires exist) but because I had really high hopes for this set and it's failed to meet them spectacularly.
I'm sorry you don't like the set? I just can't see the whole ♦ is terrible perspective at all. It's way too premature to judge the mechanic at all. You seem to have come to an incredibly strong conclusion ages ago, and continue to just yell about it at every opportunity, and I just cannot see how that is justifiable. You really just need to step back and take a break I think.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 15, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

I am tossing out the whole mechanic on 3 cards. Because you can point to any other mechanic and show me the terrible limited filler cards that use that mechanic and I get more excited than I do with these, which are supposed to not be limited filler cards but instead the marquee exciting cards for the mechanic. I'm not kidding, I think wither is more interesting than this is, because any constraint or consideration it places on deck building and gameplay is literally no different than if you had just splashed an off color in your deck. Maybe this will actually look like a good limited mechanic but the marquee mythics don't appeal to me. Ruins of the Sea Gate costing effectively 4 mana and hellbent is a far cry from library of alexandria, it's as apt a comparison as saying Blanchwood Treefolk is just like Tarmogoyf, one of the most powerful cards of all time, because it's a 4/5 for just 3 more mana than goyf, so I'm sorry I don't share your excitement. Maybe there is some application that will make it interesting and exciting but the only thing I've seen suggested is putting it in loam, which is a deck that has lands that let it draw for G already and don't require being on the battlefield and using your engine cards to do so. I don't get excited about Mikokoro either, for what it's worth, although I am sure that this will find itself in commander decks just like Mikokoro does.

I'm posting my thoughts about magical cards in a magical cards thoughts thread and while we don't have to agree on this, do me a favor and don't assume that I'm SUPER MAD IRL about this serious business and tell me I need to take a break. You're acting like I need to make strong objective arguments to legitimize the fact that I think this mechanic is stupid and WOTC handled it terribly but you're not doing that yourself, nor is it really possible to have objectively correct opinions on card games.
I'm sorry you think "We've added a whole new color" is less exciting than wither. Seriously, there's a lot of space here, and throwing out a mechanic based on 3 cards is wrong no matter how unexciting you find those cards. ♦ lets WOTC make a sixth color, make colorless mana matter more than in any set before, and define a new mechanical space. We don't know what that space is yet though. Maybe you should wait and see what they are going to do with the mechanic first.
You seem to have 'back up your opinions with things that aren't broad assertions' confused with 'I demand objectivity all the time'.
I'm not the one throwing out my opinion constantly and strongly, because I haven't actually come to a strong conclusion yet, because we haven't seen much of the goddamn set yet.
Also, your bar for excitement seems to be 'eternal playable', which is something the Magic community is notoriously bad at judging, and also something that doesn't occur often. If you're expecting every set to shake up modern/legacy you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'd imagine C cards will be aligned with Kozilek in general, much as Ingest/Process were aligned with Ulamog. I'd expect to see elements of blue and black mixed up, with a focus on mind manipulation. So cloning, countering, and card draw are all in, but so is discard, graveyard nonsense, colorless spell triggers as per previous sets. There's also space for them to further define what 'Kozilek' means. We don't really know because again, 3 cards is a terrible basis for judging a mechanic. How much variety can you really expect?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't really argue with you about ♦'s identity because ♦ identity is almost entirely unknown. If I show you 3 random red mythics from a set, are you necessarily going to be able to tell what red's shtick is in a set? The fact that two of the cards are lands further complicates that.

Also, you seem to be substituting devoid for the 'big eldrazi', but the big eldrazi still exist in BFZ. Devoid is there to replace the previous drones, but allows them to benefit from and care about colorless-matters cards. It's not really feasible to have the concentration of eldrazi you want in a set without having colored-cost cards, but at the same time you don't want the cards that care about colorless to ignore a huge number of the eldrazi in the set.
The last time we had a shitload of colorless cards at all rarities we had mirrodin, which had a really bizarre limited environment due to that.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 15, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

jassi007 posted:

You go on to say "we don't know what their income is like" then immediately conclude based off no facts that SCG wasn't paying him fairly for the work he did. He took another job. SCG is shrinking the scope of the open series, Cedric Phillips posted a few months ago about changes to the casting bench as he got promoted and won't be full time. I don't see this is anything other P. Sullivan taking a more secure long term employment. I don't know why you are jumping to some conclusion that SCG did wrong by him.

I don't disagree that he'd have been a good pickup for WOTC for coverage, but lets be honest. WOTC is a good 'ol boys network. It is why Randy, who if you will recall got FIRED from WOTC yet he still does coverage and now wormed his way back in partially by taking over cube design for MTGO. I know his wife works there, but companies rarely if ever maintain a working relationship with people they've fired. Marshall got in because of Loucks and the podcast that propelled him in the GDS, I have no clue about BDM or Rashad but yeah, WOTC needs to do something about coverage, I'm sure they hear the feedback, and they give zero fucks more or less.
Haven't they said they're changing up the coverage team for this upcoming season? I wouldn't be surprised if Randy gets cut and new people get brought on.
And yea, SCG commentating money was probably not worth the huge travel/time commitment it took. Patrick likely jumped at the opportunity to transition to a full-time job with advancement opportunities and benefits.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kozilek coming back was fairly heavily foreshadowed on a bunch of cards, including ,as-previously-noted, Herald of Kozilek, but also Kozilek's channeler and Kozilek's sentinel.

The cards said "Kozilek's spawn are loving around underground and no one knows where Daddy K is". Meanwhile Emrakul's only named card said "On the other hand Emrakul's minions seem to be weaker in their master's absence".

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Oh well. Maybe they'll accidentally print another good Planeswalker again.
I can't tell if you're serious, it's easier to find a recent set with a good planeswalker than one without one.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kalitas is easily good enough for standard post siege-rhino. 3/4 lifelink is not a bad body and his ability simultaneously hoses sacrifice/graveyard decks while giving you free value from your removal.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Do you really want people to go back to previous spoiler seasons and post all the things you were certain about then? Because you seem to get really upset when people do that.
What I'm saying is that it's dumb to make such strong conclusions. Or else you get stuck saying things like
"Narset will be worth more than Ugin in the long run"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Of course it does.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That seems really good. Hand disruption, good body, enables processors.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

"I just farted."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I believe all formats should remain unchanged to protect players' valuable investments. That is clearly what matters most in the era of MTGfinance.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

If they are so opposed to the idea of Modern going a year without a significant shake up, why not just make it rotate instead :confused:
Because that's not what modern is at all? You're basically telling them to recreate extended.

Also, playing 3 cards of a color with only 4-5 sources of that color is asking for trouble. There's a reason there are no common {C} cards, but instead cards with activated {C} abilities.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Aaron Forsythe replaced his previous tweet with this one:
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/688462590297571329

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's a more transparent and palatable way to force change on a regular basis as opposed to the current strategy of "Ban something"
Did you miss the entire reason modern was created and extended was retired?
Extended was extraordinarily unpopular outside of PTQ/PT season- people hated investing into another rotating format alongside standard.
People are really overreacting to the ban as well. From a financial perspective, everything outside of the 12 combo cards is unlikely to drop outside of the post-ban panic. People are acting like Wizards just threw dart boards and landed on twin.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Its apparently not a big deal to wotc that people should invest a few grand in a deck that might become unplayable

edit: I am not arguing poo poo shouldn't be banned because its expensive, but the format isn't affordable and it's also unpredictable what might eat a ban.
Well known worthless cards like scalding tarn, snapcaster mage, and steam vents. It's not like people got their decks set on fire.

• Locked thread