Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PleasantDirge posted:

Aligned exodia network is Nagles misshapen creation, should have guessed. What an awful card to open, it's like dude saw the flaws in highly synergistic sets in relation to sealed games and decided to double down and make a card that nobody is happy to see ever short of cracking packs in an oxygen deprived environment.

Ken nagle is going to be Maros kylo ren, complete with rest in peace temper tantrums until we never see dredge on coverage again.

"A spell has been cast for its Awaken cost. Have you felt it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

A 3/3 flyer for 5 was playable in BFZ...

With vigilance, though. It beat down for 3 while holding off the various 2/3s and spawn.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

That's weak. My MTG themed emo revival band is called Teferi's Puzzle Box

Chain Veil Brides

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Blood Moon promotes fun gameplay.

casting lightning bolt is pretty fun bro

with basic forest you can cast signal the clans, I don't know what else you want

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sutfin is such a great artist, Victauriok's Secret model aside. Barrin, Compulsive Research, Hex, all fantastic. He had only one card in Shards and none since. RIP good magic art.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

this decision is bullshit

Wait, let me put on my judge hat. Ok, now I'm looking at things from a different perspective. Speaking as a judge:
This decision is bullshit.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

I am upset and relieved that this didn't turn into the plot of my favorite anime that involves someone being a god of time and space.

"Gideon died."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Yup. It really seems that lately Wizards has been reacting in a really strong knee-jerk way. I wonder if they're being talked to by the presumably older-and-wiser heads at Hasbro.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Anyone who heard Joe Lossett's "GP Level" commentary knows that he is the only choice moving forward.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Anyone know why Tooth and Nail is 22 bucks?

1) It's a rare from a set nobody has opened in large numbers for more than a decade
2) Resolving it basically instantly wins you the game
3) #mtgfinance

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Booklegger posted:

Reprinted in Modern Masters. FWIW

This doesn't really move the needle on the "there aren't that many of them around" point.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I remember reading Scrye for card prices and scoffing that someone would pay $600 for a black lotus. Didn't they know how many Greven Il-Vecs they could get for that?!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I really wanna play Thought-Knot with Ruins of Oran-Rief to help it get past Rhinos and Tasigur.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I miss diterlizzi every day of my life

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I think Sorin and Ugin are likely to be the next headliners. Remember Sorin knows something about Nahiri's fate, something that he doesn't want Ugin to find out because Ugin would be mad at him.
Does that have something to do with Innistrad? WHO KNOWS

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The only way OGW's plot is any good at all is if she destroyed the corporeal forms that Nahiri so painstakingly bound to Zendikar, thus freeing the true incorporeal entities to continue their multiverse-spanning rampage

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Masques block was weird because it had three very disjointed sets both creatively and mechanically.
1) Masques itself was kind of proto-Paliano (Daretti's city, setting of Conspiracy) and had very different goblins than normal. Fascinating plane though. Power level wise it was a HUGE step down from Urza's block, except we were still getting cards like Counterspell, Dark Ritual and Brainstorm at common. There was also a pitch/alternate costs subtheme that led to some very potent cards, notably Unmask and Invigorate. There were weird non-keyworded mechanics like Rebels, Mercenaries, and Spellshapers (which is a well Wizards goes to again and again) and some bizarre poo poo like flailing cards and Mongers
2) Nemesis had a higher power level than either of the other two sets. It introduced Fading which led to cards like Blastoderm and Ridgeback which were extremely powerful. It also continued the pitch theme. This one was set on Rath and had the whole Belbe story arc, which I remember reading as a child and being somewhat scarred by, especially the part where she fucks Ertai. It also introduced Lin-Sivvi, a card that led to possibly the most degenerate gamestates of all time.
3) Prophecy was so bottom-of-the-barrel that it drove me away from Magic for years. It took place in Jamuraa, but you could barely tell except for Jolrael finally getting a card. The Spellshaper theme continued, but the two major mechanical subthemes of the set were things your opponent could pay to stop you from doing and land sacrifice/destruction which led to phenomenally unfun gameplay. Also the power level was one of the lowest in Magic's history, it makes Born of the Gods look like New Phyrexia.

In conclusion: Masques cool set, Nemesis less cool but more powerful set, Prophecy worst set.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

So what pushed that deck over the line in OGW? I didn't get to watch today, but it sounds like my jam. Stormchasers? The new cantrips?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The peak of people opening fetches has passed, since nobody is drafting KTK or FRF anymore. Buy 'em now if you want 'em.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

do they actually need to be face up to play from exile?

Yes, because face down cards outside the battlefield don't have characteristics including the rule text "you may cast this card from exile."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Boco_T posted:

what's sperling sick of this month

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/sperlings-sick-of-it-january-2016/

oh, it's "having to talk to your opponent briefly before you play Magic against them" and Owen's sick of it too

The Scourge of Our Times

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

This has to be at least a match loss, right?

Sadly, the IPG is woefully out of date and does not contain an "Unsporting Pun-duct" section.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

you missed the most important part: a bunch of judges changing their Facebook profile picture to this:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I like working large events. My feet hurt, I get hungry and thirsty, and I have to deal with prima donna pros, but at the end of the day I'm still really happy. Of course, if WOTC hadn't just mailed me $750 worth of promos I might feel differently.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Judge chat:
I , and other judges I know, do this because we love this game. It's stupid and lame to care about things on the Internet, but I do love Magic. I teach people to play, I help connect players, and I want them to have a good time and enjoy themselves. I judge because I like to give back to the community. I do it to make players feel welcomed, especially players who might not normally sit down at an FNM or GP. With a judge there they know someone's looking out for them. There are problems with WOTC, there are problems with the community, and there are problems with the judge program, but for all its faults I can tell you most judges do it because they love Magic and want it to succeed. That's why the recent events were so heartbreaking. It really felt like a betrayal. I like being compensated not because I can make a living judging, which you pretty much have to be L3+ to even attempt, but because they allow me to judge more. My trips to GPs two thousand miles away are financed by my comp, and sometimes I still lose money. Being an L2 has made it a lot easier to travel, since I get comped $2-300 a day instead of $50-100.

Judging is fun. It really is. I love helping people. I love interacting with players. When I fail a player it bothers me-- at Pittsburgh a player came up to me after her Commander pod finished and said that she couldn't find her deckbox with $1000 of Grixis Twin in it, and despite trying for more than an hour I couldn't help her. Judges may be masochists for putting up with all this poo poo, but we do it for a reason.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I just think it sucks how transparently wotc is about viewing the judges as expendable people willing to do work they don't consider valuable. I get why people are willing to do it but I think it's extremely garbage how the position is treated by the company.

Hey, I understand that completely. To be honest I kind of feel the same way, especially as recent events have shown that the supposed "independence" of the judge program is vastly overstated. As long as WOTC wants us to have a degree of latitude, I can understand a hands off approach, but you don't get to both let TOs pay judges and occasionally toss a foil bone our way and expect us all to fall in line at the drop of a hat. I definitely judge despite WOTC's handling of the program, not because of it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I really don't like that new commentator guy. He's very aggressively sarcastic and condescending-- it's that kind of "alpha nerd" humor that one guy in the LGS always has, where every joke is at the expense of the foolish person talking to him. It felt like Matthias was a little nonplussed at his aggression sometimes.

Also, did something happen in Newington CT this weekend? Apparently there was a bit of a snafu.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

y'all know beyond the PT level wotc could completely kill judges and not really care right? starting tomorrow all events could be judged by the TO/shop owner as judge and they would see no real difference in outcomes.

i would absolutely love to see this happen for just one month, just to shut people like this up

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Rei, Kegadoru Waifu

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

If I could turn 320 random commons into one of any mythic, or four of any rare, or 16 uncommons, I would like this a great deal.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I hope Sorin points that out to them. I suppose his history with Nissa is a good reason for him to not get in the treehouse with them. It does sound like he'll interact with the Gatewatch in SoI though.

Why isn't Kiora in the Gatewatch? There's art of her going to war with Gideon and the allies.

NO MULTI-COLOREDS

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Magic cards do not have normal supply curves because magic players have price memory issues and won't sell their stormbreath dragon they bought for $30 for less because it's gonna be worth that much again someday!!!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I bought my Chalices at $6. Hire me Goldman Sachs.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

A few pages back, but I love that the Ulamog and Kozilek resolution did turn out to be, in fact, exactly as dumb as it appeared at face value. People were all like "well, it looks really dumb, but they could be planning to surprise us with a later plot twist... let's wait and see..."

:itwaspoo:

(I'm reading this correctly, right? Someone said on the PT coverage that yes, they really are for-reals dead?)

i recognize that getting mad at magic fiction is extremely plebeian behavior, but god drat am i mad at this loving retarded story development

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

603 in Rhode Island. Ten rounds of Swiss, whoo!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DarkRider09 posted:

I was in Providence where we ended up with 604 people to make it a 10 round day. Absolutely no increase in prize support. A few of my friends were in contention for top 32 for a whole $50. Payouts were just way to small for an event that size.

All of that said, the judge staff there was great and the rounds were actually turning over in only 10-15 minutes for the most part.

Did you see the sweet Jeskai Ascendancy builds there? I was watching a 5-0 table in round 6 and it was the Ascendancy mirror.

Is This The Real Life?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i watched a Tribute to Hunger eat a 10/10 Inkmoth Nexus the other day at Regionals.

well, that's my story

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i like ken nagle because we need someone to think of mechanics like "shuffle cards into your opponent's deck" even if 99% of them never get made, because otherwise every new block mechanic is "kicker variant" or "put +1/+1 counters on dudes."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i have a hard time summoning enthusiasm for magic lore, even lore as cool as innistrad's, after how incredibly loving stupid the oath storyline was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The power level of these cards seems very high. Also Fiery Temper is one of my top five cards of all time and I'm super pumped it's back.

• Locked thread