Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I love the story about the cat that this card(s) tells. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm not highly confident about it but I think you guys are wrong that Failure to Comply is bad

I agree, but I wonder how much of it is my bias towards tempo cards.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

My cat Shuffle does not want to be a mummy. I tried! But he's still excited about this:

I volunteer for the Long Island Feline Adoption Center, which is a non-profit, no-kill adoption center on Long Island. Every cat there gets a home, no matter how long it takes! We've had cats there for years before they found a loving home. We're cage-free, so the adoption center is set up like a living room: the cats have their own couch, TV that constantly plays cat-friendly DVDs, and they get lots of attention from our volunteers. The previous Cat Drafts didn't feature a set with nearly this many cats, so we're all excited to actually draft cats at the Cat Draft. There'll be a bake sale there to raise even more money for the cats. Brothers Grim is giving us all the packs for the draft at their cost, and all the proceeds go towards getting the cats food, medical checkups, and other essentials.

I also make tokens to give out for the occasion every time. I haven't finished any of the Amonkhet tokens yet (and I just found out yesterday and today that there were tokens other than the embalmed creatures) but here's a sample of last year's Shadows over Innistrad tokens:

That last one was done by classic Magic artist Jeff Menges (of Swords to Plowshares and Thawing Glaciers fame), who is unconfirmed but may draw another token and/or show up for the event. I'm friends with the agent of at least one of the artists in Amonkhet, so I'm going to try to get some signed versions of those cards to give away also.

If you're in the Long Island area on May 13th, come down and help out cats!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

Sorcery
If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you already cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun in this game, you win the game. If not, put Approach of the Second Sun in its owner's library seven cards from the top and you gain 7 life.

That's going to be obnoxious in limited.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I suppose I can't be mad at people for not RTFCing a card that's not even in English, but drat some of you aren't making it easy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
702.28a Cycling is an activated ability that functions only while the card with cycling is in a player’s hand. “Cycling [cost]” means “[Cost], Discard this card: Draw a card.”

702.28b Although the cycling ability can be activated only if the card is in a player’s hand, it continues to exist while the object is on the battlefield and in all other zones. Therefore objects with cycling will be affected by effects that depend on objects having one or more activated abilities.

702.28c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they’re cycled. “When you cycle [this card]” means “When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost.” These abilities trigger from whatever zone the card winds up in after it’s cycled.

Discarding a card is part of the cost. Play this card, have seven cards including a cycling card in your hand, draw your entire deck for free.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Seems like the card's fine as is.

Oh, that makes sense, I forgot about the variable cost changing on keywords granting activated abilities that also have static costs that comes up all the time on exactly one card in Magic's history, Varolz. The only other card to have a specific rule to make it work was Mindslaver, and Varolz could have been written like "plus exile it" instead of having its own CR entry.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

I can imagine it was probably totally warranted for someone to take someone like Gerry T down a peg in a room full of experienced Magic designers.

The cards that even experienced Magic players and armchair designers come up with are universally terrible. It takes a lot of work for R&D to not completely gently caress the game up. As bad as the mistakes they've made in the past and recent history are, they're nothing compared to what could happen to Magic, so I could totally see someone having to tell a Magic pro that their ideas "need some work" so to speak.

Update on the Varolz rule - that rule looks like it really was written just to keep someone from putting infinite +1/+1 counters on a creature with a Memnite in the yard and a Varolz on the battlefield.

quote:

Varolz, the Scar-Striped gives creature cards scavenge and define their scavenge cost. But wait, isn't exiling the card a cost to activate a scavenge ability? Varolz doesn't give it that cost. So if you've got a Memnite in your 'yard… No, just no. This rule defines "scavenge cost" to be only the variable mana component, and the keyword itself provides the cost of exiling the card.

There were no other cards this rule was relevant to except Varolz until now. In my eyes, writing a new game rule is more preferable to giving a printed card errata, but it's funny either way.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

What am I supposed to be looking at? It looks like what I imagine BUG Modern decks to look like. I don't play Modern, I should say that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

does the magic website do theme weeks much anymore

i just realized i can't remember the last time they did one

They do. The themes just aren't as strong as they used to be. But no one reads the site unless it's spoiler season, so no one notices.

Speaking of that, somehow MTGS and Reddit find the articles on the main site before they're pushed live. Like I'll go to the site at 11:02 EST and the new articles won't be showing yet, but MTGS has had them since 10:46. That didn't always happen that way, and we'd have to:f5: DailyMTG until the article went up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Just so I can confirm, there is no game rule that requires goyf dice to be used when its in play correct? I had an opponent get into a really heated judge call with me because I refused to update the dice for goyf when his power/toughness changed. My opponent is the one who pulled out the dice and its my opponent who then failed to keep up with it. He would ask me how large goyf was so often it got to a point where I reading the card to him. I don't feel its my job to babysit the dice unless I choose to use the dice myself. At no time did I attempt to misrepresent the gamestate. He lost the match because you lost track of the fact that I use tarfire on a creature of his the turn before and then squeaked by with exactly lethal after he chose not to block my goyf.

You shouldn't be putting dice on a card that doesn't have counters on it in the first place. If it was as bad as you said when I watched the match, I'd give him a slow play penalty.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

IMO this is the key detail here. If he's the one who put the die down to help himself and then failed to keep up, then it sucks for him but he's at fault. If you had been the one putting the die down then it would've been on you to keep up. At an FNM-level event I might have helped him keep up but at a larger tourney, and with him asking you about it a bunch, he should be able to take care of himself.

Guy at my store has a buddy with a woodworking shop who made him "Goyf dice", with sides that say 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 etc. They're pretty slick, I should see if I can a buy a couple off of his friend.

Yeah those are cool, but I wouldn't use them at anything but FNM/casual. Even then, you're adding a new element to the game, where it's suddenly the dice's "fault" for being wrong because someone forgot to update the dice, rather than a player just thinking "it was a 3/4 last turn, then he played and cracked a fetch". It's a similar problem to people who insist on putting a die on 1 to indicate that their Chandra that they just played used her +1. What are we going to do when she goes below her starting loyalty?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

There are worse things to be than not as good as an almost busted card.

I'm guessing there will be a bigger release of spoilers later?

We're going to get a Vengeful Pharaoh reprint right?

At 11 EST, or more like 10:45 EST when MTGS and/or Reddit find the made-live-but-not-published articles on the Magic website.

I'm disappointed the Cat God doesn't make Cat tokens. :( Cat tokens have lifelink, so I guess having a repeatable source of 1/1 lifelinkers was too good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Desert appeared in Magic's first expansion, Arabian Nights. The card saw some play in tournaments, but was greatly hampered by the fact that so many of the early decks were completely (or almost completely) creatureless. We actually had Desert in early design files but it proved to be a little too powerful to bring back.

Desert also has the distinction of being one of the first lands to have a nonbasic land subtype on it. While we couldn't bring back Desert, the card, we definitely could bring back Desert, the subtype. The theme shows up lightly in Amonkhet, but will evolve quite a bit with Hour of Devastation.

Last week I talked about how some items were listed for both top-down Egypt and top-down Bolas. Desert was one of these items, as it was both very Egyptian and very harsh and punishing (aka very Bolas).

Looking forward to sand mana

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Magic players think cards are garbage unless they consistently show up in GP and PT top 8 lists. A card can't show up once in a top 8 list and then only have spotty results in tournaments after, then it was a failure and wasn't "an Important Card". Cards can be somewhere between unplayable trash and format staple, but you'd never know it from listening to Magic players talk.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Where is the fun in not being hyperbolic?

Being able to talk about Magic the card game without people acting like you're trash for thinking a previewed card isn't just draft fodder?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Nissa is the first "lead character" walker we've seen get a gold version outside Ajani, isn't she?

Does Garruk count? He's got two!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

A clone with flashback is cool for EDH.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Can anyone help me understand why they had to add all the "except if...." text to the non-token Vizier of Many Faces?

Magic rules are based on a 20+ legacy system and sort of operates like a computer system that you manually plug logic into. I'm not sure that makes sense. Copy effects are strange. An embalmed token is a complete copy of the original card, except it's white instead of its original colors and is a Zombie in addition to its types. Everything else is the identical, so its token text that's printed on the token is more of reminder text - its actual text isn't really different from the text box on the original card. If anyone's wondering why this particular token has a different text box than the printed card, keep in mind they all do. All embalmed version tokens should technically have the embalm ability printed on them, since they're exact copies. It's just that embalm can never work on a token because it only works from the graveyard and they can never be in the graveyard, so they just leave it off.

Edit: Also, copy effects copy other copy effects.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

There are way more regular tokens than I expected; I thought all the "token slots" would be taken up by embalm. More tokens to draw for my Cat Draft charity event!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just realized the number crunch rules out a Nicol Bolas planeswalker in this set. Poor Dark Intimations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Holy poo poo uncommon mind control and the biggest one mana blowout I've seen.

I'll happily play all three of these cards in draft at some point and also really regret not hate-drafting them at some point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Yeah, the CDN thing must be it. Kind of annoying since this is the only site I know of with this kind of delay.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I'd play that in limited even without the cost reduction ability.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

FYI, if you want some of these you better get them right now.

Foils are either gone or jacked up already. I snagged a set of non-foils from eBay for $2.50 though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

St0rmD posted:

What happens if you have Vizier of Remedies and Winding Constrictor both on the Battlefield and one of your creatures gets a -1/-1 counter?

They're both replacement abilities, not triggers, but they're both replacing the same effect, so do they both take place simultaneously and negate each other, or can you choose which one applies first, and get away with shenanigans, claiming the vizier reduces the number of counters to 0, negating the Constrictor's effect?

I can't find anything in the Comp. Rules about how to handle two replacement abilities replacing the same event, but it does say:

So, shenanigans, then? You replace the counter event with Vizier and then Winding Constrictor no longer has an event to replace? Can any judges confirm I understand this right?

The owner of the affected object (or just the player, if it's affecting them) gets to choose the order in which two replacement effects apply.

quote:

616.1. If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object’s controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply, following the steps listed below. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 101.4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

considering we've had posts with links to old spoiler predictions as an attempt to own people i have to agree

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817553

New thread, where I finally remove that reference to Extended in the FNM section! How long has that been there? Dang.

Edit:

SoftNum posted:

Magic: The Gathering - I CAST MOUTH

poo poo, that is way better.

• Locked thread