Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sickening posted:

Holy moly, how underwhelming. Old Tezz is amazing in comparison. 5 is a lot of starting loyalty but the deck building cost alone to make the minus good seems kind of steep. The ult isn't even game ending.

He can do some cool things: his +1 can effectively bank mana and there look to be an increasing number of cards that reward you for having lots of artifact tokens like the new convoke analogue, and it also helps enable his -2 which means it's not totally hopeless outside of deeply committed artifact decks. He also comes in with enough starting loyalty to -2 twice in a row and still stick around, which is a fair bit more than Chandra can say, and people will certainly end up winning games here and there by using it as a pump on their own Gearhulks or the like.

I don't think he's on the level of value factories like Chandra and Gideon and his ult definitely doesn't have the same "I'm going to end the loving game" factor that Nahiri does, but he's definitely a playable four drop if UB artifacts is a deck in Aether Revolt, and he's an infinitely more interesting design then some cookie-cutter dipshit like Dovin Baan.

Jabor posted:

The +1 seems pretty mediocre, what are you ramping into once you've already hit 4 mana? They're probably most useful for powering up his -2 to actually be removal.

Being able to sacrifice them at will lets you tune his -2 into being a pump spell, I guess.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
He doesn't completely break the mold, but all of his stuff works differently enough to be interesting and has the potential for more than one line of play. Yes, his -2 is usually "kill a little dude", but you know people are going to end games by flashing in a EoT Torrential and then Tezzerating it to swing for 10.

Elyv posted:

it's nice that he's not a generic value factory that you can jam in any deck because his -2 is pretty bad unless you have a few artifacts in play, but he's still a very similar template

Well that and his +1 doesn't do anything unless you are playing him as part of a curve or your deck inherently values having a bunch of semi-expendable artifact tokens lying around.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 19, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Panharmonicon is a fun card and there's some other cool stuff going on, but a bunch of the actual format-definers make for pretty lovely games. Aethorworks Mirrors basically turn Wizard Poker into Wizard Roulette.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

sit on my Facebook posted:

I don't get the hate for Aetherworks Marvel honestly. It's good but it is a top down build-around combo deck and those are sweet, and also completely beatable if you really want to devote a few slots out of your 75 to it, and this thread was bemoaning the death of all archetypes not-midrange-buttfights up until the very moment that one started to actually perform.

Combo isn't bad inherently. Aetherworks Marvel is bad because any given activation has reasonable odds of winning the game or doing basically nothing without there being anything the players are doing to shape the outcome.

Like, if you thought company was too high variance, this way the gently caress worse.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shadow225 posted:

Is there a card that prevents +1+1 counters from being placed, preerably on opponent's creatures?

Depending on how they're getting there, potentially Vines of the Vastwood.

If you're asking for a specific hate card that says "gently caress counters", I think the closest you're going to get is goofy EDH cards like Thief of Blood.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GeneX posted:

The problem is the 7 mana 13/13 that mindslavers and can't be touched by instants, not the cool artifact

Note: this is also the main problem with GB

T4 Ulamog exiling two lands is almost certainly going to be GG as well.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fish Of Doom posted:

Knowing it would be in the same standard as the Eldrazi, they really should have made it say "You may put it onto the battlefield" instead of "cast it without paying its mana cost". It would be still be good, but not getting the cast triggers would make it more fair.

I'm pretty sure they designed it to let you cast the spell specifically to make it work better with the Titans, since they're currently the obvious payoff cards for the deck.

I guess it is a little odd that they gave the Eldrazi all these powerful on-cast triggers that meant they weren't very good if you were cheating them in and then made a card that let you cheat them in for full value anyways.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

80s James Hetfield posted:

You could make this argument for literally 25+ other cards

Reprint those too. That's literally the purpose of the Masters sets.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If you're really trying to capture that old-bordered feel, don't forget to gently caress up the templating or have card text that is functionally different from the Oracle wording.

IE "Whenever damage is dealt to Phyrexian Obliterator by anything, the owner of the source of that damage must bury one artifact, land, creature, or enchantment for every one point of damage dealt to Phyrexian Obliterator.", possibly with like three lines of FAQ-style clarifications that don't change the rules on the card.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 21, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is pure nostalgia, but Serra Angel.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Star Man posted:

Ornithopter? Are you loving serious?

It's one of the most iconic artifacts in the history of the game and also sees heavy play in a popular deck. It's totally worthy of a Masterpiece.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Shortest Path posted:

I feel like if that were the only reason for a card like that, Tron's popularity wouldn't have tanked with the banning of Eye of Ugin, which did almost exactly that.

This card can't really slot in like Eye though. Eye you could run one of in a land slot and then fetch out when you needed it with your pile of tutors. This one is an actual spell in your deck that you will need to run >1 of to find consistently and doesn't do anything until you untap with Tron + 1. Getting to cast a Planeswalker or Wurmcoil Engine every turn is sure gonna take over a game, but I agree with Steve that this card is atrocious in your bad matchups and games where Tron gets to spend 8 mana are usually games it was winning anyways.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

This feel like an instant staple in formats where Fetch Lands are legal.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

U:
Counter a spell with cmc 2 or less.
Revolt - Counter a spell with CMC 4 or less.

I don't think we're getting Vastly Superior Spell Snare, though I sure wouldn't complain.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Procrastinator posted:

Yeah, the real problems are that it's a fairly bad topdeck, does pretty much nothing when vialed in (especially during combat), and doesn't pump Mutavault at all. Possible it'll still take the spot of something like Tidebinder Mage or Harbinger of the Tides but I figure that might be giving up interaction where it's needed.

I don't think Merfolk is going to play this card. Part of what makes Merfolk good is that it can play its random value dorks and then jam a lord or two and turn its whole team + extra lands into unblockable 4/4s. This is sorta nice in that its pump sticks around if it gets bolted, but it doesn't do enough of the things that the real lords do to make me want to put it into a Merfolk deck.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GeneX posted:

Honestly, I think the biggest winner with Fatal Push in modern is probably grixis, but we'll see: it all depends on if the format slows down at all or not.

It fits very nicely into jund, however, giving a whole lot more flexibility to bolt and granting a really good answer to mana dorks, so I think that'll be the first big place it sees play. Junk is weird because it's got path as creature removal, but I can definitely see a split being reasonable. The real question is if you can shave any abrupt decays for it, though I think the flexibility of decay means that the answer is probably no.

Also there's the black -3/-3 with free ancestral vision that might be a possible thing.

One big limitation of Path is that it's quite bad T1 and practically nonfunctional if you're trying to kill a T1 mana dork, so decks like Junk that have access to Path will probably still want this card because it does a job Path can't. Giving a way a free land is a very real downside, so you basically want to lean on Path for your removal as little as possible to begin with. If you're a deck without access to Bolt, "as few as possible" usually still means a full playset because you basically need 1 mana instant speed removal to not die in Modern right now, but this card hits most of the format without the downside of Path. You don't want to go 0 Paths because it's also the card that Just Works against whatever dumb bullshit is coming at you, but I'd expect to see a split in decks with access to both, with maybe the rest of the Paths chilling in the sideboard for Primetime decks or whatever.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GeneX posted:

ornithopter exists entirely for artifact synergy stuff, much like memnite

I think Ornithopter actually predates there being much in the way of good cards that cared about Artifacts enough to use it. It was a curiosity before all the Artifacts-Matter blocks got printed.

To be fair, it did coexist with Mishra's Workshop back in the stone ages of Magic, but that's not really the kind of artifact synergy we're looking for.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rinkles posted:

Aetherborn Warrior
2B
Creature - Aetherborn
Revolt- When Aetherborn Warrior enters the battlefield, if a permanent you control left the battlefield this turn, target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.

:getin:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DangerDongs posted:

I just bought a play set of Fatal Pushs at 3.99 each. I feel like a scared fool.

It's not going to be that expensive. For comparison, Monastery Swiftspear, the 2nd best red one-drop ever printed and a 4x Staple everywhere Burn is a deck, only peaked at $4 briefly and is currently half that much. Other standard-warping uncommons like Reflector Mage and Duskwatch Recruiter went for like $2 in their prime. Aether Hub managed to linger in the $3-4 range for a few months by virtue of being the best land in Standard and a 4x in almost every deck, and even that's down to $2.50 now.

Fatal Push is a very good card, but Modern demand will only do so much for the price of a card still in print and the fact that Revolt will take actual work to turn in Standard means it's not a guaranteed standard allstar.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I really like how the design of Revolt meshes with eternal formats. In standard it takes at least some degree of real work to turn on revolt cards consistently, giving them room to push their efficiency, which in turn means a lot of them start looking really good when you can just turn them on incidentally as part of the normal course of using your lands.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Molybdenum posted:

Via deckbox I traded a misty rainforest for some modern foils. The guy at the other end of the trade is claiming the misty is fake based on a light test and the layers looking off. He consulted with his LGS in Utah and they agreed.

I had 3 rainforests available for trade, bought 2 when they were standard legal and traded for the third locally (and very recently) and didn’t check it for authenticity as it hasn’t been something I’ve been concerned about.

Okay, so possibilities from my perspective:

1. I unknowingly sent a fake card

2. Guy at the other end has a fake and swapped it

Neither of these are really provable by either of us and of course he already feels like he was scammed by me.

I’m considering asking the local store he consulted to do a video and post it to you tube of the light test, explain what they’re seeing with the layers, then (with the other guys consent) go ahead and do a rip test, if it is blue core, the trade stands but if not I’ll paypal him some money.

I guess basically this feels like a no-win situation and at this point I’m likely out the cost of a rainforest which isn’t that big of a deal but it really sours me on online trading, buying & selling in the future.

I’ll also be going through my collection with a loupe and an LED flashlight to see if I have any other cards like this.

Get the cards you traded for checked for authenticity before you make any decisions. If they're fakes, it's almost certainly a con; they're trading you fakes for real cards, then trying to double up their profits by swapping in their own fakes of the cards you gave them and crying foul on your end. If they're real, they're probably telling the truth. Scammers generally aren't going to give out $100 worth of poo poo in the hopes their marks take the bait instead of just telling them to get stuffed.

This also kinda depends on whether the cards you traded for where the kind of staples that a scammer could reasonably expect to make profitable trades for. If it was a bunch of esoteric singles for your pet Slivers sideboard then they probably weren't getting those printed off.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Molybdenum posted:

2 foil FS logic knot, a foil orzhov pontiff and a non foil ranger of eos.

You should get them looked at just as a good practice, but I would be immensely surprised if there was enough market for those cards to justify counterfeiting them as scam fodder.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'll be amazed if the Egyptian set doesn't have a very strong graveyard theme as well, and since we're apparently not allowed to have hate cards for a sets core mechanic enjoy Delerium being impossible to interact with for its entire duration in standard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I wonder if there will be some way to break open Trail of Evidence with Improvise and maybe Balar, but 3 mana do-nothing enchantments aren't very exciting in their own right.

If nothing else, Improvise turns Thraben Inspector into the 2nd 3rd best mana dork ever created. Goddamn, what a great common.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Standard bans are cool and Reflector Mage miiiight be justifiable even as someone who loved to play Mage decks, but holy gently caress did Modern just get twice as good with Git Probe getting axed.

Get hosed gimmicky aggro decks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Git Probe is dead in Modern, Standard decks can have game plans other than "win really fast" or "cast Emrakul early".

These were good bans.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Veyrall posted:

So, I just remembered why I shouldn't watch DesolatorMagic. He completely, completely misinterpreted how Probe warped the Modern meta. Also, I think he plays Magic against martians. That's the only way I can imagine that he plays the games he plays against people who apparently mull to zero frequently.

Edit: Also, he thinks Lantern control is unbeatable and Golgari Grave-troll is broken because it gets +1/+1 counters for creatures in the graveyard when you cast it.

Edit 2: And he thinks Storm is still too powerful.

LOL he thinks loving Serum Visions, the stupid piece of poo poo filtering card too weak for Pauper that gets played only in decks where it's unavoidable, is too powerful for Modern. Also, Anticipate, the two mana filtering spell that's barely standard-playable.

This guy is something special.

EDIT: and then, after complaining about combo existing for the first tend minutes of the video, complains about combo hate cards like Surgical and Infinite Obliteration being too powerful because they can pull win conditions out of a deck???

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 12, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Dehtraen posted:

Shop guy didn't want to rip it because he wasn't 100% that it was fake, so he has the guy rip it, then when he sees what it looks like we are back to the light test. Heh.

If it passed everything outside of the light test, the texture of the card itself was good, the print was the right color, not faded or too dark, and it looked normal through a loupe, I am not sure what else to say.

Yeah if it passed the rip test and all the proof they can give you is low-res video then I don't really know what you're supposed to feel guilty about here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

anglachel posted:

Aetherworks Marvel still seems like a busted deck. Ulamog instead of Emrakul isn't that much of a downgrade.

Ulamog is still good, but losing Emrakul is a huge hit for a couple of reasons beyond just being the more powerful finisher.

1.) They weren't running one or the other beforehand; they were running both. Losing Emrakul means they go from having two playsets of cards that pretty much win on the spot off a fast marvel activation down to just the Ulamogs, making the T4 backbreakers much less consistent.
2.) Emrakul can feasibly be cast out of hand if the game stalls out a bit, which means the Marvel deck can win games even when it doesn't have Marvel.. The jump from 6-7 all the way up to 10 for Ulamog is substantial and they are much more likely to die with Ulamog in their hand.

• Locked thread