Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If there's anything a goon hates, it's a list - especially the reserve list, the cards they cannot print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If the diamond symbol means "Spend only colorless mana on this" then I can believe that spoiler. It would make sense as an Eldrazi mechanic and would work with the 9 colorless lands in BFZ and the random one thrown in each other set in standard.

The basic is presumably there for limited purposes, and I guess colorless EDH. Also you can find it off Rampant Growth style effects I guess.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 18, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hard-countering with zero mana investment is something they just don't do, except Lullmage Mentor which has a different ridiculous condition. Hell, since Lullmage Mentor they've not printed a creature with repeatable counterspelling. Before that were Sensei Hisoka (needs mana), Disruptive Pitmage (has to tap), and Patron Wizard (has to tap, mistake).
None of those cards are the flagship 10 mana card of a set

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are currently at least 20 in standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kozi underground, with diamonds

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Newlamog skips reminder text for flavour.

e: if this is actually a larger shift (ie colorless lands will always produce diamonds now to make them distinct from generic mana) then there may be no need for reminder text at all.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 18, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If colourless lands now produce ♦ what would the reminder text even say? "(♦ can only be paid with ♦)"?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why would they revolutionize the entire game, forever changing how every colorless mana generator works, to make a few cards in a small set more confusing?

Is my name Cassandra?
It's actually something MaRo has talked about before - adding (1) (colorless mana) to your manapool is completely different to paying (1) (generic mana of any type) to cast a spell, and ideally those two things would not use the same symbol. This is just a good chance to change it to be consistent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't "directly oppose" devoid - all the colorless matters cards from BFZ will work with the diamond cards in OGW. Ingest/Process is clearly an Ulamog mechanic so yeah I can imagine Kozilek will do something different.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 18, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a tonne of stuff in BFZ that would support a "colorless mana matters" theme - the cycle of blighted lands, the 4 additional colorless lands, scions, Kozilek's Channeler etc. Yeah you'd need to spend different "colours" of mana within your deck if you pick up devoid cards but that's like saying that red and blue devoid cards fundamentally oppose each other.

With regards to draft something interesting to note is that you're getting a pack of basic lands with your OGW prerelease. So it's possible you can just add as many Wastes to your OGW limited deck as you like.

But it has flavor text. Elbrus is the only mythic to omit reminder text for flavor text, except it omitted the reminder text for evergreen keyword Equip. This is two different mythics both omitting reminder text for dubious reasons. Especially when it's a big loving deal like a mana symbol we've never seen before in the card's very casting cost.
You still haven't explained what the reminder text should be. "Use ♦ to cast ♦" doesn't seem necessary at all. If there's a rules update to change 1 to ♦ they aren't just going to randomly add reminder text to everything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

OFS mentioned this. It's the ONLY snow card that doesn't have reminder text.
Mythic rares would probably be a good candidate for that same treatment. Although I maintain that if the symbol for colorless mana in general is being changed to ♦ (as opposed to (1), which means "any kind of mana") there is no need to put reminder text on any individual card, they'd just have to convey that rules change on a wider level.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

I can see having a ♦ cost on cards to represent that it must be paid with colorless mana, but why have lands make ♦ when (1) is the same thing?
The way things are now is weird, we've just played it enough that we don't realize it. If you see "add to your mana pool" it means "add colorless mana to your manapool". However, if you see in a cost it doesn't mean "colorless mana", it means "mana of any kind".

Under the hypethetical new paradigm ♦ now means "colorless mana" in the same way that means "green mana". Then can consistently mean "any kind of mana, including but not limited to colorless".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The issue with them being fake is that the art is new, fits the style of the credited artists well and includes themes that have been hinted at but not directly displayed in other cards. I think the art at least has to be real.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

When LSV says a color or archetype isn't good in a draft format, if the format is good, that can mean its a sleeper archetype to get into because you get all the cards you need passed to you. In a bad format like this one, it doesn't matter, green still sucks and taking the open green cards is still a losing recipe. Its kind of the same issue with Converge and Processors - they're mostly random mechanics because they're entirely synergy based cards to work, but you're not terribly likely to actually get them.
Green is bad but synergy in general is strong in BFZ. Ingest/processors is meant to be one of the stronger decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean it's not the first time that green has been incredibly bad recently. It was just masked because FRF was only ever one pack.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The variety seems pretty good, it's cool that nearly 1/5 decks have to be classified under "other". I guess pros are annoyed because they can't play some insanely boring 50% vs everything deck but whatever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SSG is a 0-1 of in Amulet lists, banning it would do very little to the deck. I suspect that its main purpose is to allow you to palm a turn 1 kill

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Probably more like "I'm playing the deck that beats fair decks but dies to combo".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Unusual decks in there: Living Twin and UB Faeries. Also Fat Elspeth was in the board of the winning deck

C-Euro posted:

9th-32nd are up as well, highlights include Naya Burn with 4x Monastery Mentor and a Grixis Control deck running two copies of the Nalaar parents :eyepop:
There were a couple of helicopter parents in the top 8 as well, people are warming on it as a modern playable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If they don't involve a pairing that combos off in-game I'm not interested

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

$300 is actually cheaper than the cheapest competitive standard deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fetch rotation is what will put the cost back down. Even if you ignore the fetch price the fact that you won't need 80% of the chase cards in the format for any given deck will help

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chalice of the Void decks in legacy are amazing.

e: personal favourites: werewolves, Red Creatures in Standard, pirate theme deck

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 29, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think most white/black cards could be changed from one to the other with a flavour alteration and no-one would really notice

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the rally deck could do with another sac outlet, and this one is fairly decent. Cutthroat can help you get the second ability online sometimes too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess you'll just have to make do with an undercosted body that's also a reasonable sac outlet that keeps you alive I guess.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Flashback has basically infinite design space and I seem to remember reading there were a bunch of designs they didn't get to use.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I would also like to point out that there's an extra part to flanking no-one has mentioned yet but which could plausibly come up in games. It seems like a pretty bad mechanic to not reminder.

I can see the problem, having to read and comprehend a bunch of weird mechanics every time you see a new pack could make it exhausting to draft (evaluating power levels can be hard enough even with simple cards). If there's just one complicated mechanic in a set (like Bestow or Awaken) then it might cause you some pause on your first pack but at least from then on you'll be fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah knowing whether your top card is a land can be a large advantage when it comes to mulligan decisions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the big factor is you only get to play with 1 LED in vintage, which makes Infernal Tutor pretty unusable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Does it just play out like a Modern Sneak & Show, AKA "ramp into spell that cheats a huge fuckoff creature into play"? Seems like it might be a little more difficult than that since you can't run any cheap ramp for fear of hitting it with Cascade.
Sortof except it slams a bunch of fuckoff creatures that kill you instantly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We've already cards that includes both numbers and ♦ in their cost, so that basically has to be what it means.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

♦ is actually more consistent than the current system. It will help new players in the long run.

Cernunnos posted:

They were more likely referring to things that produce {3}, like Urza's Tower, which should now produce ♦♦♦. Not to making things that cost {3} cost ♦♦♦. That would be incredibly stupid
This confusion is the exact reason to change it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Devor posted:

Assuming caring about colorless is not evergreen, I would much rather have one line of reminder text "♦ cannot be paid with colored mana" instead of errata-ing these new (old?) eternal-playable lands to produce the new symbol that is never going to be relevant again.
It's relevant as long as things are producing colorless mana. "Colorless mana matters" is a good opportunity to introduce it but having a specific symbol for colorless mana is just a better system in general.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm not sure what kind of new player it is that intuits the meaning of some abstract symbol whose purpose is some dull throwaway mechanic they'll never see again but then somehow says "BUT NONE OF MY LANDS HAVE A 3 ON THEM :saddowns: "
How about you just stop and actually think about it? Under the new system the ♦ symbol is just like the other 5 types of mana you produce, it's just that (outside of OGW, presumably) it doesn't appear in costs. It's simple and intuitive compared to the current system, where numbers in grey circles mean completely different things depending on where they are.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Whena card says that it's adding (1) to your mana pool it is adding "colorless mana". When a card has (1) in its cost that means "mana of any color". All the new system does is introduce a new symbol for colorless mana to properly separate these concepts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Devor posted:

When a card says that it's adding (1) to your mana pool, you can only use it to pay for (numbers). Any color can be used to pay for (numbers) too.
So I guess forests should also tap for (1), since you can use green mana to pay generic costs

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The magic and wonder of a number in a grey circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Actually, I think it was one of the old ones that said "TAP TO ADD THREE COLORLESS MANA TO YOUR MANA POOL" (caps mine to better convey the sense of wonder those words created in my wide, youthful eyes).

At the very least, it was one of the Legends tap symbol ones.
I guess in a way this is actually a change back to that, except with a symbol to represent those words.

• Locked thread