Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm excited for a 6 colour limited environment, personally. And new playables for Tron, everyone's favourite deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I kinda doubt they'll be that pushed TBH. There are a lot of colorless producers in standard including painlands, I doubt they'll be hugely better than cards with the equivalent colored mana costs.

There should be good stuff for decks that are playing colorless guys anyway though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The weird thing is that BFZ had the exact opposite theme: even the colorless cards require colored, not colorless, mana. They can't even say it's because the ~story~ draws some technobabble difference between the way Ulamog and Kozilek's broods digest mana or whatever, except that BFZ had Kozilek-aligned Devoid cards.
Kozilek has been hanging around underground looking for something, I assume the story will be that he's managed to finally unleash the true potential of colorless mana. It doesn't really oppose "devoid" in any way unless you think all themes need to be monocoloured.

e: In fact that Devoid keyword lets you make pseudo gold cards that have colored mana and diamonds in their manacost.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Balon posted:

Oh haha right. This guys trash.
Amulet Bloom clearly needed a very easy infinite mana combo, what were they thinking.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's actually a really cool card in an RG landfall deck. If you still have lands in your hand it lets you trigger landfall an additional time and ramp. If you've run out of lands in your hand it lets you trigger landfall twice and gives you evasion for effectively 2 mana.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Balon posted:

If you have 2 lands in your hand at turn 4 youve flooded.
If you don't then awesome, his second ability is super relevant to your landfall deck which would otherwise be about to poo poo its pants and lose.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that a card does not do the ludicrously broken thing you misread it as doing does not make it trash, IMO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

No, but the fact that it's pretty sketchy for an aggro deck to play a 4/4 for 4 with no evasion and the fact that the trample ability is really inefficient and pretty useless for a midrange/ramp deck does.
1 mana to give one thing trample and the rest of your creatures +1/+1 isn't inefficient.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The confusion about colorless mana is arising entirely because people have internalized the current inconsistent system without actually understanding it. It perfectly demonstrates the problems with using the same symbol to represent two separate things, which new players are completely justified in being confused by. Once we all get used to ♦ this conversation will stop happening because we'll basically just have 6 varieties of mana that all behave in exactly the same way, it's just that one of them doesn't normally appear in costs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To more fully explain why this is kindof cool - there are already decks that are built to generating large amounts of colorless mana, to the extent that some of their threats have to be colorless (eg 12post, Tron, to a lesser extent the green ramp deck in standard). As it is, though, all of those threats can go in any deck.

That means they have to be pretty generic - they can't do anything that you want any individual colour to be unable to do. This new mechanic is a way around it - by explicitly giving colorless an identity you can give the big mana colorless decks interesting cards without giving them to every other deck as well. Of course we have no idea whether the implementation will be good or not yet, which is part of why it's super stupid to be complaining at this stage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

It's really odd, then, that the flagship big colorless dude (newzilek) feels very blue. Draw some cards, and here have a way to counter some spells.
Not really. Kozilek is associated with knowledge, but blue has the related effects pretty firmly locked down. This lets you put them on your giant eldrazi for the big colorless deck without allowing those blue-ish effects to bleed into every other colour.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Now I shall finally get to emulate Seto Kaiba, my hero. Only instead of using a 4-of-a-kind dragon I will use some terrible bulk rare from a recent set that most players probably have half a dozen of rotting in their binders

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Probably a "fixed" all is dust that costs an extra mana or some poo poo.
It's called Ugin

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wastes land
Tap: add (D) to your manapool
Tap, (D), sac: destroy target nonbasic land

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Giving (D) a way to attack lands would fit the theme they're giving it pretty well. A Spreading Seas variant is probably more likely though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A mechanic that requires you to make deckbuilding considerations? Oh no!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I cannot believe that they would include blue cards and green cards in the same set. They are completely antithetical to each other.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could jam Kozilek into standard ramp or modern tron with zero changes, and probably most other (C) cards. Maybe you don't want to but there's no way this mechanic is parasitic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also story reasons, I'm guessing this is the amazing secret weapon Kozilek was looking for.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only reason the Lantern deck kindof works is that most people have no or very few answers to artifacts. Witch they would just kill.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It also hates Devoid! Don't forget that the colorless mechanic and the colorless mechanic don't work well together. Which by extension gets Processors as all ingesters are devoid cards and nothing in true colorless below 7 mana exiles. {c}-cards are gonna have to do a lot of work to get over being bad with colorless cards. Converge is just part of it; Kozilek's Chaneller and Hedron Archive and Pilgrim's Eye are the only spells in BFZ that cost less than 6 mama and don't oppose colorless-only, because the rest are colored or punish colorless.
You can't even draft mono-colour in a draft normally, you definitely wouldn't be able to in a "colour" where you have to draft the basics. Presumably you'll play (C) + one or more colours that pairs naturally with it (eg green for scions or U/R/B for colorless matters). They always split themes across multiple colours because it makes drafting more interesting.

If you're in the (C) deck you'll probably spend the third pack picking up scions, colorless lands, colorless lords or whatever stuff you like in your second colour.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fortunately there are decks in every competitive format that are already set up to meet those demands.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also foil basics are weirdly valuable

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't watch the announcement, are they making any functional changes to the rules? I guess they have to to make Wastes tap for mana?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Two odd possible interactions I thought of -
1. I think Urborg removes the ability of Wastes to tap for (C). I imagine it's not getting reprinted for standard anytime soon
2. IIRC under current EDH rules trying to add mana to your pool of a color outside your commander's identity produces colorless instead. So eg City of Brass/BoP may be able to tap for (C) in non-5c decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The lesson is to never put fetches and fetchable lands in the same standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also that deck costs about the same as the most expensive deck from last standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kozilek's Return is a great card but having another fairly mundane standard staple at mythic is pretty annoying.

Is there anything cool you can do with Crumbling Vestiges? My first thought was you could probably put in it Bloom for free mana off Titan. Is there anything else that brings nonbasics into play tapped?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I dont know how people don't find "Free spell when you cast a big creature" to not be "cool enough to be mythic"

Its efficient, splashy, and makes your big splashy spells splashier.
It's cool in the Eldrazi deck, but it will probably see a fair amount of play in standard as a very mundane instant-speed sweeper. Having one of those at $5 sucks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think World Breaker could be pretty good as a one-of in the ramp deck. You can find it with your sanctum, and it can act as spot removal for enchantments and as a recurring annoyance for control decks. Having a 7 mana way to trigger Kozilek's Return is also potentially valuable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Probably the most relevant protection creature that Return hits is Etched Champion.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So I guess the new keyword may be conditional upkeep costs? I hope it isn't related to counting card types at least.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tamagod Sushi posted:

~Tribute~ - At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 4 life unless you have 4 or more different card types in your graveyard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Colorless is basically a 6th flavor of mana for all intents and purposes, and I think that's the best way to think about it. The only differences between it and WUBRG are that a) outside of OGW (and maybe future Eldrazi sets) it does not appear in costs and b) it does not count as a color. This was always the case, it's just clearer now with the new symbols.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Being able to fetch a source of (C) with basic searching effects is likely to be pretty relevant in draft - Evolving Wilds and Pilgrim's Eye in BFZ can now serve as additional (C) sources if you picked up at least one Wastes in OGW, and there could easily be more. That could maybe come up in standard if there's a deck that "splashes" (C) also.

Also from an FNM perspective it's probably better that someone can just throw together a bunch of Wastes if they want to play a (C) deck, rather than having to scrounge together a bunch of random nonbasics.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My place outright says you don't have to redraft expeditions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess Treasure Cruise technically isn't playable in modern

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if the effects kindof fall within blue's extremely wide remit I don't think they'd ever print a 12/12 with Menace in blue.

e: I guess Leviathans can come close in size but they tend to have horrible drawbacks instead of drawing you cards and countering spells

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 15, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Counting card types is tedious and really weird from a flavor perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hedron is Unbreakable

• Locked thread