Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am mad, mad about the existence of tribal payoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Splash green for fixing?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What is the frontier meta like? Copy cat with delve draw spells?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's probably another perfectly good kill you can use.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In Frontier all of the sets have been opened a reasonable amount at least. A lot of the older modern sets were originally played with by a much smaller playerbase than what exists today.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I went to MNM yesterday and my first opponent just kept rolling dice endlessly instead of shuffling up his deck and drawing his opening hand. It was one of the best games of Magic I've ever played.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Yup.

>= $5 Uncommons in MMA (per this site): Finks, Path, Spell Snare, Helix, Manamorphose
>= $5 Uncommons in MM15: Eldrazi Temple

It's not the #1 metric for measuring a set's worth but it's nice to see. I wonder if Wizards looked at the EV of MMA and purposefully designed MM15 to be lower in that regard.
Wouldn't prices in MMA be higher in general due to the set not being printed to meet demand?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was a lovely rule.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It matters if their opponent ends up getting an arbitrarily large amount of damage from some combo such as Splinter Twin. Actually Splinter Twin vs an on-board infinite life combo is a good example of why allowing "infinity" would be confusing. Under the current rules the Twin player has to name a number, and then after they declare attacks the Abzan player can name a higher number and thus always survive. If the Twin player could just say "make infinite Exarchs" it's unclear what happens when the Abzan player responds with "gain infinite life".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

David Tennant does a mean self-portrait.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

odiv posted:

And between opponent and player. :eng101:
Isn't this actually a relevant upside that lets you put it on an opponent's creature? Maybe they just wanted to give players that option.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It does look a little better in the gif. But still putting random squiggly poo poo around an already hard to read and centred font was not a good idea.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They may have just wanted to do other things with the white common slot. A lot of the lower rarity stuff is just adjustments for limited.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's nice with the Gitgud toad too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They don't mind incidental reprints of cards with protection. For example they did Goblin Piledriver in Origins.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The new Gideon doesn't seem great. Its first two abilities make it like a creature that can block and attack mostly, albeit efficiently. But there's the tradeoff that he dies for no value to your opponent's board if you don't leave enough blockers back, or if they get ahead on-board. That's awkward for a card purely dedicated to damage racing.

The third ability is pretty marginal. In a lot of cases your opponent will kill your planeswalkers before going for you anyway. Even if it's a situation where they'd want to go after you you're basically just gaining 3 life +1 for each time you use his first ability. It's nothing like plat angel because plat angel will stall forever against a dominant board if your opponent can't kill it. Gideon will just die to their board along with you.

He's weird because you can leave him on the board forever with no real consequence, unlike almost all other planeswalkers that give your opponent value over time and/or build up to a game winning ult. He's basically just gaining your opponent 1 life per turn on a stalled board, assuming you don't have a way to kill him outright.

Maybe it's good just as a general beater in some decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Siivola posted:

An indestructible 4/4 for 3 doesn't seem too bad.
Sure. But an 'indestructible' 4/4 that's going to die for no value to some flyer a lot of the time seems more questionable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I changed my post since I realized its a bit better at stopping vehicles than I thought. But it can't do both of those things at the same time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Not having enough mana I guess. If they can just recast it after you bounce it it's pretty awful.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I played M:O standard RDW against modern burn and it seemed to win pretty consistently due to not constantly bolting itself with lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there a way to cast that red spell that makes you lose the game on turn 2 in standard? Very important question.

• Locked thread