Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

this goryos vengeance deck is just gross

I got to pilot it for a couple of FNMs and came to the conclusion it's the deck I will always want to build but just can't justify it - the price of some of the key pieces are far too much for a flight of fancy that might just die come banlist.

...unless they DON'T ban it; if that happens I'm making the deck in a heartbeat as it's one of the most fun decks I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Count Bleck posted:

They're banning every deck ever made soon so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Probably.

I knew I shouldn't have bought those bridges.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

anglachel posted:

Sure, but typically Tron has to hit Pyroclasm turn 2 if it wants to not lose to Infect, Burn, Boggles, Merfolk, (insert other aggro here). I'm not too familiar with the matchup but I'm willing to bet turn 2 pyroclasm is pretty critical against Green White Hate Bears too. Turn 3 is just too slow to get your board wipe effect off. Not only that but it's only good when your on the play. If your not interacting with a Aggro deck in Modern before they hit their 3rd land drop your gonna have a bad time. Merfolk will have the critical mass out by then, Burn might just flat out kill you turn 3, and will definitely kill you turn 4 if you didn't do something to slow them down during your turn 2. Infect can kill you turn 2 with a nuts hand, and is looking to have their critical mass of cards on turn 3. Boggles has already suited a boggle enough that your Return won't even kill it. Hatebears probably has you under several tax effects. It's just too slow.

Hatebears is often a play/draw thing because if you do anything other than turn 1 egg into pyro on the draw, there's a chance you just get shut out by an arbiter and you're not coming back from that without rending volleys. It's one of those decks that simply cannot win once Ugin or an Oblivion Stone resolves, but if they can start strip mining you it becomes very difficult to crawl out from under while Smiter beats you to death.

Not sure how you managed to miss affinity as that's another deck which can just completely blank pyro (via ravager buffs and manlands), but I think it's worth considering how other new toys like Warping Wail interact with those decks. As an example, it gives Tron a non-pyro way to kill infect's creatures that doesn't need a coloured source, as well as make blockers at instant speed. If anything, I'm interested to see how newer tron decklists pan out and whether they manage to fit wails into the main easily.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Patrick Chapin curving into Darkdwellers-Bust against JC Tao (who then floats mana and breaches in a prime time to get lands back). It's always nice to be reminded why I love this format.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Didn't see it posted so here's a deck tech featuring a friend of mine.

Also mfcrocker, are you the one in Bristol with the beard or the one who took my tron deck to lost and found at GP London? Because if either then hey, small world!

EDIT:

Hellsau posted:

So, Nature's Claim got sweet new art:

Super colorful. In other news, Heritage Druid is a rare, and they didn't reprint Nettle Sentinel for some reason. That seems like a bizarre decision.

It had this art in Conspiracy I think?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

anglachel posted:

Well Legacy Burn is one of the few Legacy decks that doesnt have any reserved list cards, and is probably the strongest deck per price point you can get in legacy. But it's still a pretty weak deck. Even then if your talking no reserved list card decks shockland Miracles is probably stronger overall (though it would ironically likely lose to Legacy Burn). Eldrazi is pretty playable too from what I hear.

Does Legacy Goblins run any reserve list cards?

Eldrazi runs City of Traitors if possible for more of those T2 Thought-Knot/Smasher draws, from what I've seen?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Fish Of Doom posted:

There's plenty of acceptable black wraths, especially for EDH. Crux of Fate, Toxic Deluge, Life's Finale, Decree of Pain, Deadly Tempest,

Seconding Decree pretty hard, hardcast it's great on a busy board and the cycle effect can be an awesome trick (has good synergy with Sudden Spoiling too, another bananas good card).

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are a couple of vehicles that look neat (eg the looting Thopter, the mana rock, the skyship) but the payoff for building a dedicated vehicles deck doesn't seem particularly great.

Start Your Engines?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Dehtraen posted:

And matches like this are why players want top banned. This guy is so slow... like 15-20 seconds per top activation. Makes the experienced miracles players look really good. I think at least 15 minutes of this game one has to have been spent on top activations

Edit - D&T player is playing to his outs, miracles player created a giant stack trying to respond to ports and wastelands and it looks like miracles messed up the resolution of everything and may have either topped one to many times or brainstormed twice?

D&T player than walked the miracles guy through the stack, he kept doing stuff in response to the top and tried entreating off the top activation before the brainstorm resolved (I think?).

The weirdest FoW in the finals. What was he protecting?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Kalitas, Ishkanah and her tokens, Elder Deep-Fiend, Mindwrack Demon.....

Thraben Inspector?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

suicidesteve posted:

I had the idea a while ago that you should need to control a land with the corresponding type in order to alt-cast the spell. It still lets you cast the spell for no/less mana but it doesn't break the color pie and it means you have to actually be playing those colors (or have the right color dual.)

IIRC they did this with some of the Splice onto Arcane cards that had non-mana costs to prevent people just using them everywhere (Horobi's Whisper, Roar of Jukai, etc.).

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
At this point I just want to try playing with a ridiculously powerful set compared to the forced-archetype piles that MM1/2 made you draft if you didn't open a non-Comet Storm/Iona mythic. Praetors at rare, game-killing cards at mythic (i.e. Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice), a Craterhoof in every game - for £8 a pack, I want a better reaction during draft than 'Eh',

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

mfcrocker posted:

It really didn't take very long to find out where someone who suddenly appeared with all the modern money cards but can't afford a bus fare to FNM got them, especially when they're an idiot and bragged to all their mates.

Was this the guy with long black hair and piercings who turned up with 4 oddly pale Future Sight Goyfs at the front of his binder, then got called out by Dom on a fake Stifle (of all things)?

• Locked thread