Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So this could be the reason they're giving packs of full art basics in each prerelease box, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I'd definitely play that Kozilek in Standard ramp, since searching that out with Sanctum after casting Ulamog, and drawing 4-6 cards, sounds sweet.

I would play that Kozilek in Modern Tron, assuming those diamonds really do act as colourless symbols, and probably over Ulamog, too.

That card shuts down Burn really well if it resolves, is helpful against Infect, and in general you're playing it as at least a draw 4.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Mods on mtgsalvation have confirmed that they are real.

Via what?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They also confirmed From Beyond as just Awakening Zone that makes Scions, and not with the final card's search ability.

I was thinking something just straight-up removed in the last two or three years, but gently caress me if I am going to attempt to look for something that's been memory hole'd.

If you're so confident about it then put the :10bux: on it ffs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Variety of decks mostly. The metagame is huge.

Hope you guessed the highest frequency decks and sideboarded for it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

They are really, really concerned about making the deck values uneven, because it causes huge issues with wholesale sales.

Unfortunately their solution this time seems to have been to print zero interesting cards.

Which in a perfect and just world would result in an across the board sales drop, but lmaoEDH

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kizudarake posted:

If anything needs to lose key cards, it's affinity and Twin. Twin at 12.1 percent of the metagame and affinity at 10.4? That's almost a quarter of the field on day 2.

That's almost healthy and within acceptable tolerances!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that, but I wonder if Mentor has a case for being included in Burn. Seems like generating pseudo-Swiftspears would be a nice curve-topper, though Bolt-Bolt-Bolt is probably a better turn 3 play.

It'll eat a removal spell and buy them a full turn.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Swords to Plowshares was originally costed at WW.

Perhaps they should've kept it that way.

The game would be worse for StP costing WW

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

Today, probably 2BB
In 1996, 4BB

It would be a limited bomb and standard unplayable.

Give it hexproof.

:getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Just get rid of the stuff that literally does not work and the 0-cost mana accelerators and it'd be a pretty plain old set. A bunch of overcosted creatures, weird spells, and things Blue should not really have.

Every colour should have everything

Beast Within is still one of the best designs ever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

Which is a problem for the health of the game as a whole, I find. I'm a grown rear end man with a good paying job and I still don't want to pay for FlipJace. I've played Atarka Red for 8 months at this point just because it's cheap (and wins a lot still).

How does the price of standard drop from this point? What would drive prices back down where Standard doesn't cost as much as Modern?

Make people not want to play standard in huge numbers anymore

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I played standard on Thursday, about 8-10 plays and seriously at least 4 were playing flavours of Aristocrats. It's tier 1.5 at best now but come rotation and people might not be maindecking something that wrecks it maybe it will be a stronger deck. Innistrad is a setting that could conceivably provide sac outlets, with Falkenrath Aristocrat reprint being the best case scenario.

Anyway, playing then also reminded me to make something I think might be useful:

Doesn't quite look right, but fit for purpose.

Can you do this but for Figure of Destiny and also various pictures of Goku

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Chalice is not a fun card.

It's not the card we deserve but it's the card we need

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

sperling got mad at bivouac, because he's a grown man

matt spergin'

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they actually lower the mana cost on cards to something sane again they can do whatever the gently caress they want with the story, as far as I'm concerned.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sorin's got his own cooler group, why would he need this new one

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Every colour should have (limited) access to everything anyways, it makes the game more interesting

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Example, Mind Bomb. Very flavorful, but bad.

I wish Blue had more really lovely kill spells, actually.

Beast Within and Harmonize are what all off colour effects should strive for

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

If this is real I want to see a tally of how many drafts it just destroys

E: seriously even outside of Draft it's a sweet card, probably standard playable in an aristocrats deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Flashback has basically infinite design space and I seem to remember reading there were a bunch of designs they didn't get to use.

Also it's really, really fun and good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

always be closing posted:

They loving suspended Fabiano.

Never has Gerrard's Verdict been stronger in legacy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

always be closing posted:

Can anyone post the whole story? I just saw some discussion on twittah.

Gerrard brought up to a judge how one players foils in their deck could've been used to cheat by showing them his own foils in his deck at the tournament

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Painful Truths is a draw 3 for 3 and that's real good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Good list, except Balance. Bazaar of Baghdad is one of the pillars of Vintage, it belongs on any list of the "Second Power 9".

It's also not splashy at all, unlike any of the power nine

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SaffronOlive posted:

Obviously we cannot control what cards Wizards puts at Mythic. When it comes down to it, the choice is theirs and theirs alone. If they wanted, they could look at the Future Future League results, try to pick the 15 most playable Standard cards, and stick them all at Mythic Rare. We couldn't do a drat thing about it.

You could not play standard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

It's also banned in Modern, which makes it weirder.

Please let this mean what I hope it means in January

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm really doubtful that ole Misty Stone will be set loose on modern.

They could ban Batterskull, it's not like that's a card anymore post KoCo

Come to think of it, equipment in general sucks in Modern right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bugsy posted:

I could easily see mystic fetching Cranial Platings.

If Affinity wanted that they'd play the W sorcery that does that and not bother playing the extra mana for a 1/2 they can't do much with beyond interact with Battle Cry

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

the power of sfm + plating would be dropping it into play and also equipping it at instant speed and also beating negate/only being open to being countered once rather than twice

That would cost 1WBB and if Affinity's got that kind of coloured mana available then they either got lucky with colours or already lost.

Beating Negate is definitely a thing but it's not really a thing worth taking a turn off for as Affinity

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

There's two particular reasons why SFM isn't getting unbanned 1) SFM pretty much obliterates the entire design space for equipment being good ever again, 2) You have to simultaneously ban a non-problematic card.

Stoneforge is banned now and they already obliterated that space. At least that way I could play a sword in modern sometimes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Sure. It's not going to be a 4 of but I would bet that it will show up in multiple decks in multiple top 8's.

Awww poo poo we've got a bet

Now for the thread to pick the stakes for both parties

Personally I'm for gangsines posting with proper punctuation forever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Except you still have to ban Batterskull, which isn't actually a problematic card that sees some level of play. I guess you could ask the question of how broken Batterskull and SFM are at the same time. Part of me wants to say "not that broken" because modern's pretty biased in favor of "unfair combo poo poo."

Batterskull sees near 0 play now that the deck you bring it in for has an incredibly good main deck destruction tool for it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to say that Painful Truths sounds like a disguised title for goatse

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Even if they don't unban Stoneforge, I hope they unban something in Modern.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral posted:

Sorry, I know the card is a reprint, I was referring to the change from representing one colourless mana as (1) to <>, and the implications of this change.

Edit: I'm also aware of the difference between a mana producer producing one colourless, vs an (x) in a casting cost requiring (x) of any colour.

You mean the difference meaning gently caress all for any card printed before 2016? The only cards this actually impacts are new cards, this just changes how some old cards interact with those new cards.

Why don't you pick something better to be mad over, like BfZ being incredibly mediocre?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 7, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The only even vaguely legitimate complaint about the colorless symbol is that it's weird as gently caress to implement it in the middle of a block. Kozilek's Channeler can produce mana to cast Kozilek within the same limited environment except you can't actually tell by the card.

I imagine even that is irrelevant.

Also stop getting your hopes up for Enemy Battlelands it's not happening. The other 10 are probably just the manlands.

"just the manlands"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

I don't think they give a poo poo, do they? Legacy isn't a consideration, and they'll just ban if they go overboard. If they cared about non-Standard formats at all, Delve would never have gotten the nod to return.

Delve was supercool and a great model for injecting cards into eternal. If they take what they learned from KTK/FRF and apply it to more delve cards it will be an easy way to add cool cards to shake up those formats.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Booklegger posted:

Modern Playable™. Might find a home in Scapeshift as a replacement for and improvement upon Meloku.

Costs 4, doesn't immediately replace itself, doesn't win the game next turn.

Hmm.

HMM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That is a really bad idea because it makes basics I.E the simplest cards in existence twice as complicated if not moreso and it'll make the game a shitload harder for a new player.

• Locked thread