Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
That is pretty sweet, but I was promoted to look at the 2016 GP schedule and now I'm sad. Why is the one in Atlanta always Limited?? :(

Guess I'm traveling to Charlotte and Indy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Obvious answer is B, but the funny answer is D. If you do that, you should sleeve it and say, "Whoops, my mistake! My standard legal fetch is right behind it in the sleeve." Then pull out the Tarn to reveal this guy. That's the real pro strat.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

With all of these bannings over spoilers, is it uncouth to ask when is the next official spoiler for OGW?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

there will be something on Christmas, official spoilers on monday, i think

Santa Cosi's coming to town?!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I wasn't back into magic yet when RTR block was standard; but from what I've heard, is Voice basically back up to it's $50 price tag from when it was standard?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Standard is rotating, Legacy is eternal, Modern is :confused:.

New thread title please.

In all seriousness, I thought there was a twin deck that popped up in Legacy not too long ago. Seems like a waste - apart from obvious reasons - to literally flush those cards down the toilet.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Emrakul isn't gonna be on Innistrad anyway. She's busy being in Mercadia if the Rishadan Port promo is anything to go by.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

The capitol of Mercadia is built on an inverted mountain IIRC.

It definitely is, but I'd still love for them to reveal that it was secretly Emrakul the whole time. Almost in the same way of the whole Kozilek and Eye of Ugin thing.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I've been testing the UR Prowess, and it is pretty sweet. If you want to play it and don't have Jaces, don't worry. In my testing it's almost better to not have any Jaces and instead have more burn or draw.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Why not have white for Mantis Rider also? And you get other good options like Silkwrap and Surge of Righteousness and Seeker of the Way. That's what I've been brewing.

White's a great color to splash and just make it Jeskai Prowess. I personally would forego Mantis Rider and put in Monastery Mentor instead. The deck seems to need as few creatures as possible to make the most out of such a large number of cantrips to fuel Prowess; and in that respect, Mantis Rider kinda sticks out amidst other choices.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I haven't been watching because they show boring mirrors on camera. What is Kory McDuffie playing? (I guess we all have a local player or two who we cheer for at these events)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Atarka Red

Oh nice! That's a nice change since he's usually running Jeskai or Esper Dragons. Maybe that was a meta call, anticipating a big presence from Eldrazi. (no pun intended)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Gerry Thompson is playing one of the goth kids from South Park.

That's pretty much always how Korey dresses. I'm definitely cheering for him though; not just because he's an old pal, but because Gerry Thompson needs to be punched right in his stupid loving face from time to time.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

vandalism posted:

Can I play U/R prowess in Standard to much effect without any jaces?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no need for Jaces OR the other thing people like. 12 creatures - Abbot, Swiftspear, and Stormchaser - and a poo poo ton of cantrips will get you there easily.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Boco_T posted:

There aren't that many cantrips in Standard, and the math says you need 14 of something for a 90% chance of starting with it. I guess you are 90% for one creature by turn 3 with 12, but I guess then you're running Anticipate so that can find you your first/second.

Funny you mention that. Anticipate is actually a far worthier replacement to Jace than Elusive Spellfist, since Slip Through Space gives unblockable to any of your creatures.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/26134

Sorry if this was already brought up earlier this month, but what?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I can't tell if it's more fun watching these Eldrazi decks because they're awesome, or watching these Eldrazi decks wreck face just to hear the reactions from commentary.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

People complaining saying things are gonna get banned for Eldrazi, but doesn't Blood Moon still exist? Also Fulminator Mage? Also where did the hype go over Boom/Bust? I doubt anything in the deck will get banned once people start figuring out how to sideboard properly.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

The main problem with all the answers is that they don't really do anything against the nut Eye of Ugin draw, at least not in time to avoid dying or avoid getting your answer eaten by Thought-Knot. I wonder what the deck and its matchups look like with Eye, but nothing else, banned. All of a sudden it's much harder (not to say impossible) to get a super-fast Mimic kill or to Thought-Knot your opponent on turn 2.

Perhaps the landy stuff is a bit slow, but that in tandem with something like Mana Leak T2 on the play seems like it'd be good. I didn't watch the whole PT coverage, but the deck seems like it would have a tough time against certain control builds.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

When invisible stalker dad hears all these insults about his family wait til you see the look on his face!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Entropic posted:

Speaking of Goblins, did Piledriver ever actually make any impact in Modern? I had completely forgotten that it's even still in Standard.

I'm guessing a few T8s here and there are more of a blip on the radar than any significant impact? I think there's still potential there, but people don't seem to know what to do. It's usually either Aether Vial for value or make a bunch of tokens and Goblin Grenade for straight damage. Still waiting for him to be a big hit and I can sell my dozen that I've seemingly opened after already preordering a playset... :(

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I admit I don't know much about Conspiracy, but reading this:

quote:

No more jokes. No more intrigue. For real this time.

Seems to translate to "PLEASE take us seriously! :cry:"

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's the definition of vanilla here? Just the stats and keywords?

It just has to be extracted from orchids, mostly.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I know they'll never do it, but there's still slot 102 for a Buried Alive reprint........please Wizards?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Glad I own a playset.

Now if only I could figure out what I want to play it in.

U/R Sphinx's Tutelage? :getin:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Doesn't that run Jace?

It does normally; but if you'd just want the loot effect, there's either Reckless Scholar or Mad Prophet. Otherwise just run more draw spells and do it creatureless. May not be top tier but it is fun.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I know it's prerelease time, but people are saying tomorrow the bans are Eye of Ugin and Mox Opal. Seems to be true since Eldrazi Temple has been bought out except for foils. E: I'm dumb, had a foils only filter on TCGplayer :v:

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 3, 2016

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe, maybe not. I think the idea for both cards is that their respective decks will be less explosive without them.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Played RG Werewolves with Ulvenwald Hydra (loving insane limited bomb!) tonight to a 3-0-1 split for 7 prize packs. The most exciting thing I got all night was Declaration in Stone. The girl who split with me and took her packs from the box before me? First pack Avacyn. :negative:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Peggy Hill, boggle Champion, Arlen Texas

One time I took GW Bogles to a Modern event at my LGS, and I couldn't stop saying boggle like Hank Hill. The deck is fun for that reason, if nothing else.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of modern sucking, I'm going to modern states on Saturday and I'm taking Naya Burn. I haven't played in a tournament - or much of modern at all - in a while, so is there anything I should be watching out for in particular?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Soul sisters.

Yeah, I've seen quite a few of these at my lgs in the past. If not for them I wouldn't be running a full 4 of Atarka's Command with 2 Skullcrack MB and two SB.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I'm personally of the opinion that atarkas command is stretching mana and not offering value unless you're running Nacatyl. And I still think Nacatyl burn is questionable ATM.

I'm not sold on Nacatl, so I'm running the regular creature base of guides, swiftspears, eidolons, and 2 lavamancers. I do, however, like Command in testing as a skullcrack when necessary, and having neat interactions with dropping a land for searing blaze. I'm not too worried about mana, since green is pretty much necessary for revelry in the side.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

So long story short, I piloted Naya Burn at modern states today to a 4th place victory. I learned that Abzan company (my only losses) is so annoying that I really need Path to Exile and Anger of the Gods in the sideboard. Otherwise, a fun experience, and easily my highest placement in a tournament ever! :toot:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Congrats! Thats awesome. Let me see that deck.

Thanks! It's pretty close to the stock list, but I had a few odd little differences:
4x Goblin Guide
2x Grim Lavamancer
4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
4x Monastery Swiftspear

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt
4x Boros Charm
3x Atarka's Command
3x Lightning Helix
2x Searing Blaze
1x Skullcrack
1x Forked Bolt

5x Mountain
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Bloodstained Mire
1x Scalding Tarn
3x Sacred Foundry
3x Stomping Ground

SB
4x Destructive Revelry
3x Kor Firewalker
3x Molten Rain
2x Torpor Orb
2x Rest in Peace
1x Deflecting Palm

The singleton forked bolt may seem weird, but that was mostly for nipping BoP's and Eldrazi Mimics, and it performed well. I scaled back on A-command/Skullcrack for Lightning Helix, which did help. The fetches are just all the red ones I had that morning. For the SB: Kor Firewalker was useless, Molten Rain was great utility against Tron and delver, and Rest in Peace was the MVP against Dredge. Torpor Orb helped against Abzan Company, just not enough. Again, I'd take out Firewalker - I saw no burn mirror matches - and Torpor Orb to replace with Anger and Path.

anglachel posted:

I wonder how good Anger is vs modern Dredge. Path is pretty much at least a 2-3 of though.

I saw some Dredge players, but didn't play against any of them. On a blind guess, I'd assume Anger would wreck them pretty easily. I also imagine rest in peace would've done work against them too.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

I'm gonna enter Dallas GP and have no thoughts of actually being top 200, but would my burn deck at least not get completely smoked?
DECK HERE

I've got to keep it under $200. I want it to play fast and simple. I thought about putting some destroy lands, but they are too mana heavy. I had Eidolon in there, but I would def burn myself up.

I wouldn't say you'll get smoked since you have a lot of the right ingredients. Consider putting Eidolons back in - it usually helps you more than hurts you - and cutting your Lavamancer count down to 1-2 if you don't have the fetches.

As opposed to what everyone else is saying, I recommend searing blaze instead of blood for one reason: it doesn't require a creature target. As long as you have a land drop available and plan on playing Blaze right away, it works fine to hit them and a creature for 3 with no drawback.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

So basically I hit a 5 toughness creature w Searing Blood, then a bolt and i still technically get the bolt to the player. That's pretty nice.

I stand by my statement about Blaze over Blood (misspoke earlier as you saw, you do need both targets) because you don't need the creature to die like blood does. Killing the creature should be a bonus, not your objective. If you're worried about creatures, splash white so you can side in removal like Path to Exile or Celestial Purge.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

anglachel posted:

What exactly is making modern burn bad right now? All the maindeck Kitchen Finks, and jeskai s playing lightning helix? I mean its still eats several popular decks alive doesnt it?

Burn is most certainly not bad right now, it just lives and dies by its sideboard. Mine last weekend helped me slam Grixis Delver and RG Tron into the ground, but meant I had no answers against Abzan Company. The way I see it Burn will always be a top tier option; because while it has some less than favorable matchups, it can still end a game quickly out of nowhere.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

For a while I was convinced we were getting only legacy and vintage legal cards - which wouldn't bother me too much - but now there is hope for Modern stuff as well. Damnation and Crucible would be really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

So the purpose of this set is pretty much to make Legacy Burn affordable...

The Legacy parts of Legacy Burn were already relatively affordable. It will be cool to have the whole deck foiled, minus the stupid premium fire and lightning deck stuff.

E: I guess some burn decks run Ensnaring Bridge SB, that would be a nice reprint.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 26, 2016

• Locked thread