Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Ugin/Nicol Bolas OTP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Ramos posted:

Ajani joins up and it becomes Scooby Doo.

*Pulls head off trapped Ulamog*

"Old man Bolas!?!"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Make a BG Merfolk lord that taps for G and run CoCo in your Merfolk decks.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Ramos posted:

You mean UG? Because a golgari merfolk isn't going fit too well into that merfolk deck.

I acutally meant UG Merfolk lord that taps for G for each Merfolk you control

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

UUUU gently caress You, I Like Merfolk

All lands become Islands in addition to their other types until end of turn. Exile the top 10 cards of your library. Put all Merfolk cards this way onto the battlefield, they gain haste. Exile those cards at the end of turn.

Also draw a card because gently caress you.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wastes land
Tap: add (D) to your manapool
Tap, (D), sac: destroy target nonbasic land

If they're going to print a better Ghost Quarter, this is the standard to do it in.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I hate change and want things to stay the same

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Slivers are beautiful babies and I will hear nothing else

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The leak/hype machine was disrupted. Just be a soulless business and sue the guy without explaining yourselves Wizards it's okay it doesn't make playing a $500 deck any less fun.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Zoness posted:

To be fair goons aren't the vast majority of their playerbase and i hear there are some goons who unironically like UR

bring back elf nazi nissa

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

They should do foil FNM promos for some real money cards and only allow kids 10 and under that play with 100+ card unsleeved decks to have them

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

What do you need to do to become a judge? I've been a referee for *real sports* before and I'd like to try doing some magic judging because I enjoy officiating despite the problems that come with the job.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Why is it not just "take a DCI-certified class and test congrats you're now a white-belt judge"

Mentoring seems like it can open up holes to so many problems

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

They don't have to ban anyone. Any bannings are still part of a corporate temper tantrum.

"Oh no now you know about a product we're going to sell a few weeks before we were able to do our marketing reveal! Time to create some bad blood with the community instead of just rolling with it and doing the spoilers earlier to keep the attention on the next set going."

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Zoness posted:

The thing is, if you're in a position to leak cards, you presumably

1. have a contract with wizards to have access to them early
2. stole them from someone w/ access
3. are a literal wizard

In case it's 1, standard operating procedure is for the company to break future contracts with the leaking party. In case it's 2 there's probably some legal recourse and in case it's 3 please teach me literal magic.

4) You saw the spoilers second hand and talked about them

The first 2 are legal issues, you can deal with these people in court. 3 doesn't happen. 4 would never be able to be punished in court so it seems like WotC just decided to be petty and ban those people.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

1 is breach of contract, not theft. 2 is theft but only of the physical card(s), assuming that they were removed from the possession of the rightful owner and it wasn't just a picture.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I probably would care way less about this if WotC didn't pretend to give a poo poo about the community.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rimusutera posted:

We're talking about 2 as literal theft of property belonging to a Wizards employee here, I don't know what you're on about.

Taking a picture of something you aren't supposed to see and sharing it is not the same as stealing it. If WotC had actual evidence of theft they'd pursue legal action not petty bans from playing wizard poker.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mandatory lesbian posted:

it seems like they expect judges to be representatives of the company

Then pay the fuckers lol. You make millions in revenue and can't be bothered to pay your officials even at big tournaments anything? If these guys are volunteering their time to officiate your marketing campaign maybe don't act like a giant pissbaby when the people you exploit don't do the exact thing you want.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

the company has a rudimentary comprehension of PR.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hasbro is an American multinational toy and board game company. It is one of the largest toy makers in the world.

They're trying to stop people from loving with their marketing plans. Fine, then stop pretending like you care about the community.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

odiv posted:

So what is the likelyhood/upshot of someone like SCG running an unsanctioned event if they can't find a judge for a region?

Is that just a non-starter?

Gotta get those sweet, sweet planeswalker points to redeem for those...uh...

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

just when you think you see the bottom of wizards digital incompetence, you find out they let a third-party handle their tournament organizing

a volunteer third-party that does it for "love of the game"

Seriously gently caress that, I don't care how much you love your work. If someone else is profiting off of it you start charging for that poo poo.

Also:

always be closing posted:

For real, every public facing wotc employee I've seen is just trash.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Chill la Chill posted:

Now is a great time to get into force of will which p much plays the same but is improved. Before all your cardboard is worthless. :getin:

isn't it anime tho?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Snacksmaniac posted:

Leaks are bad guys. It's like stealing. Don't leak cards. Don't talk about leak cards. Don't repost leaked cards. Volunteer at large advertising events for no pay or next to nothing. If everyone reading this bought only one intro deck, our drive would be over.

I hope you're tweeting all of this to WotC

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Here's a better idea: punish no one except for the leaker by never giving them product early again, adjust your spoiler release schedule, and start talking about the cards.

No one is talking about OGW now, they're talking about WotC being incredibly dumb and incompetent. :bravo:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

GeneX posted:

Did none of you aside from Zoness try to look at this without immediately demonizing WotC?

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one. So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

Is it probably a dumb move? Yeah. It looks like they tried to get everyone who knew about earlier leaks (like the theoretical KTK one I mentioned) and knew about the Wastes/Kozilek leak but said nothing. They apparently also got a bunch of people who had no clue about earlier leaks. I haven't actually seen any of the judges categorically deny that they knew about a source of leaks and didn't tell WotC, so this is just being charitable to the judges' point of view.

It would be nice if WotC would actually say more than "this was happening over multiple sets", because it's also possible that they meant "these people were leaking stuff from multiple sets, and we banned everyone who ever associated with them" instead of the much more reasonable possibility I outlined above.

WotC is a multi-million dollar brand, not your friend. No one is accusing them of illegal activity, they're just being disproportionately massive dicks over some pictures of cardboard.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Were these guys actually stealing cards? Or were they being fed through an internal source? The PR statement isn't 100% clear on that.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

always be closing posted:

Helene is not really that great at her job, she does the bare minimum, and is lauded for it.

To be fair if I worked at WotC I would to. If you pay people less because they really want to work at your company it's just exploitation.

Emerson Cod posted:

There was a private Facebook group where cards were leaked. The fact that these players were judges probably had nothing to do with their suspensions but good luck parsing that from the shitstorm on reddit.

If they actually were hacking/physically stealing from WotC then the bans make sense. If they were being fed information, then it makes no more sense to ban them than someone who saw the leaks and re-tweeted them. It's WotC's job to plug leaks, not people that receive the information. A private Facebook group is just as public as twitter because no one involved in either of those is under contract or an NDA with WotC.

I'm still going to err on the side of this being WotC being dumb until they clarify exactly what happened.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's almost like employing anti-social nerds to run your game company results in poorly thought-out responses when you need to engage with your customer base outside of press releases.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I think WotC realizes that they can't punish these guys through litigation because if they could they would have started that process by now. Instead they banned people that were getting leaks from someone on WotC's end. If they were actually stealing I think WotC would have said that they were stealing, not "receiving stolen confidential information". The distinction between "public and private zones" is made up because anything outside of WotC and their affiliates is a public space. It also doesn't explain how that guy on twitter got banned for 3 years.

Edit: It occurred to me that WotC could actually have a case against the private group. They just lack the foresight to get everything lined up and then do the litigation/bannings at the same time as publishing a press release. Instead they do seemingly arbitrary poo poo and then explain themselves later.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

All of this could be avoided if WotC had just rolled with it and started spoiler season early and then fired/cut-ties/initiated litigation with the leaking employees/businesses.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Zoness posted:

I think the distinction is pretty simply if you google the cardname can you find it. I think I've done that for every card I've seen posted in here (or checked the URL) just to see what people are saying about it, but if there's no google result that's a pretty good sign it's private?

I mean, it seems to me the set of conditions to have a problem here is pretty rare:

1. Someone in your group has to have access to a private source of leaks
2. That person is only posting to the group
3. This happens over multiple spoiler seasons with the same original source into the group.

And it's not necessarily implied that mere involvement in the group was a sufficient condition to be banned.

Once someone on the inside leaks info, it's public. It doesn't matter how public or known it is and it's not the job of anyone outside of WotC to not talk about it. If WotC doesn't like leaks then they need clamp down on their employees and businesses they work with.

I think Wizards knows that they can't fire or litigate against these guys because they aren't responsible for preventing leaks, so the next best thing is to ban them and tell the rest of us that the bad men talking about cardboard earlier then WotC wanted are the real bad guys.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 23, 2015

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

They're actually overpaying their employees because 80% of their market rate salary is paid in "love of the game" and "privilege of working at WotC".

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Problems leaks present to WotC: marketing has to adjust their schedule

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Angry Grimace posted:

The market rate for employees is whatever people will actually work for and its apparently really hard to get a job there (see: Melissa De Tora's contract expiring without being renewed).

As much as I'd like to bag on them for it, there's no actual reason for them to pay employees any more than they do.

Not exploiting people? Other companies with lower profit margins pay their employees more than they need to because they actually value them.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

There are tangible benefits, like higher worker productivity, higher work quality, and decreased turnover. Businesses that do it are in the minority but it does happen.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

full communism now, is the correct answer to fixing wizards

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

More like Oath of Suck My Dick lmao

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ThePeavstenator posted:

More like Oath of Suck My Dick lmao

*Smug blue player shows up to FNM with $500 super friends deck*
*Gets run over in 5 turns two games in a row by 12 y/o's $50 BW warriors deck*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

These are the best FNMs. I'm sure yall have the guy in your LGS who loves to give commentary on what he would have done different and asks why you're running card X instead of Y because Y is so powerful and seems offended you're not playing like he would.

I am a Milwaukee goon and have met Erin Campbell. Her reputation is well-deserved. She fits your description to a T and likes to do such charming things as:

-asking (often young) players she lost to why they side-boarded the way they did so that she can call them out for netdecking
-whining about handshakes and "good game" being offered to her when she loses

• Locked thread