Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

According to Maro, playtesting has shown that a) people really did not figure it out and b) people don't read reminder text if they think they know how a rule goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fling with flashback.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

Sadly, no. There's no way to get 3 mana on turn 2 in this standard, because WOTC are cowards.
T1: Forest, Loam Dryad. T2: Mountain, Ornithopter, tap creatures for a red, cast Glorious End.

T3: Plains, tap creatures for a white, Gideon, emblem.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

An opening hand of two lands, four ornithopters and an echantment sounds like feelbads.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I didn't spot anyone posting this so:

Disposses
2B
Sorcery
Name an artifact card. Search target player's graveyard, hand, and library for any number of cards with that name and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well they keep inviting Wizards employees.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You could probably make something neat with Lili the Last Hope and Wayward Servant.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can only see yesterday's gallery?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Battle buddies! :unsmith:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh hey the last land was Wilds. That's fixing, I guess.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

you might not care but others do
That was sincerely the highlight of my day.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

Drafting a U/B/x cycling deck is going to be sweet
I feel like drafting anything and black is going to be sweet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Is Aristocrats a deck in modern?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I posted an Aristocrats list in the Eternal thread (that I cribbed from MTGGoldfish) but I haven't actually been able to play it yet. No idea if it's good or not but it was fairly cheap.
Does the vulture slot in anywhere? Sac dudes, play birds.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This looks nuts, Morbid buzzard is a house, limited should be fun. Hopefully an inexpensive r/b or b/w aggro deck shakes out for Standard, seems like there's enough stuff here to pick from to open up some new viable decks.
My very pessimistic guess is that there's a couple of weeks of shakeups as Felidar gets banned and people figure out if there's enough hate to answer Mardu or not, but then the Internet hivemind settles on a ~best deck~ and everyone plays either that or the deck that goes 50/50 with it.

Then everyone complains a lot, moves over to Modern and the same thing happens with Death's Shadow.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It should be "as silently as".

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just lol if you never bother to consider what "eternal youth" actually includes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I like LRR, Graham can make opening mail look interesting. :shobon:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Kathleen's account spotted.
:saddowns:

My favourite's actually Serge. He's a terrible player but his attitude is just too infectious.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So if you discard Fiery Temper and cast it for R, does the Fiery Temper become a "discarded card"?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Because I'm a stupid moron, I read Robert B. Wintermute's The Quest for Karn, which was the Scars of Mirrodin block novel. Here's a short review:

It's really loving bad. :saddowns:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's the thing: They were already posting it on the website back in 2011. They just picked a random part of the story and published it in a book, without introducing any characters or setting up the plot in any way. And if you want to know what happens after Karn gets healed, you have to go dig up an Uncharted Realms article. (Spoilers: Mirrodin is hosed anyway.)

It's no wonder these things didn't sell.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're conflating the rules for continuous effects and Auras as objects. An aura attached to an illegal target is put into the graveyard as a state-based action because them's the rules – just like a Creature dies if its Toughness falls to 0.

Pedantry aside, why a continuous effect created by a spell or an ability only checks once while one created by a static ability (such as an Aura, I guess) checks continuously, yeaaaah I dunno. I guess it's easier to play? "Target Zombie gets +1/+1 until end of turn" would be a pain in the rear end if you had to keep checking its zombieness until end of turn, right? Conversely, "all Zombies get +1/+1" would be a pain in the rear end if you had to remember which of your dudes were zombies when the Lord came on board.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's some soft rock.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Of course, against a deck with a ton of targets, Fragmentize becomes less narrow, and more of a card that you are actually happy playing with, rather than a necessary evil. I'm pretty sure Mardu vehicles doesn't play many (or any?) other targets that Fragmentize actually deals with, permanently, though.
Going by GP Porto Allegre, pretty much all decks run some (but not all) of the following: Hearts, Ballistas or Towers. Mardu for example might run four Hearts and two Ballistas.

How do you feel about the new card Dispossess? It exiles all Hearts not already on the battlefield, but it costs 2B.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well when you put it that way.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They... Haven't had any rights to Star Wars games since 2012, though?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think the major problem with standard is going back to the old, longer rotations.
What a world we would live in, without Gideon and... Uh, tango lands?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Maro likes to talk about Garfield saying that if rarity stopped being a useful balance mechanic then they'd already become a massive success, fails to mention that they never fixed that problem and definitely expect ppl to spend more than 20-50 and stop
The other day he actually admitted that fetch lands are rare mainly to sell packs.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Knowing I'd be facing endless Value Copters would make me think twice about getting into Standard, to be honest.

I mean I don't have that kind of money anyway, but in theory.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

I wonder if you could do a points system (similar to australian highlander in concept) except it's a flat 1 point for uncommons, 4 points for rares, 8 points for mythics, and you get like 40 points all-up for your deck.
As far as fake new formats go, that certainly sounds more interesting than my 40-card singleton frontier idea.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If they make Vampires, Knights or Cats, I might end up buying a deck.

shudder

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

SoftNum posted:

Magic: The Gathering - I CAST MOUTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817553

New thread, where I finally remove that reference to Extended in the FNM section! How long has that been there? Dang.
Tl;dr: Stop posting in the old thread ya goons! :v:

• Locked thread